MovieStop Employee Reviews

Fun job
Nj - Cashier (Former Employee) –  Blackwood, NJSeptember 5, 2016
Working at Moviestop was a fun job where I also learned a lot of skills. I was able to recommend and sell some of my favorite movies and have conversations with customers about anything movie related. During the days I worked we took in trade ins and bought gift cards, we also organized and restocked the store. The hardest part of the job was selling the discount card and selling reservations. I learned how to work in a fast paced environment.
Pros
fun job, discount, first dibs at movies
Cons
no breaks, bad management
Enjoyable and Fair
Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Largo, FLSeptember 6, 2016
Enjoyed working alongside my co-workers and manager, while learning what it takes to be in a leadership position. Store organization was more difficult than at other jobs, but everyone took responsibility and executed their fair share of tasks above par.
Pros
scheduling was flexible, regular customers were friendly
Cons
very little future for advancement
I loved it.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Halethorpe, MDDecember 15, 2016
The environment was very pleasant. Employees were A+. it is a shame that they had to close down. wish they were still open though. Great Employees. no complaints.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJuly 2, 2016
Great working environment, great management, pay was alright. Co workers were always easy to fet along with. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with movies.
Great place to work, but advancement is few and far between
Sales Associate/ Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 3, 2016
Overall, Gamestop provides a sales environment where its employees and customers can interact on a common level. Through the sales of video games and related products, employees are involved on multiple levels of daily business dealings. From customer interaction to inventory control, employees are given a glimpse into multiple aspects of the business. Benefits were present for employees if needed, but should an employee need them, they pay a premium for benefits such as healthcare.

However, advancing from within is often very hard depending on circumstance and specific region. The region that I worked in promoted any female over male just based on gender, and unqualified people were promoted to running stores that they overall could not handle.

Gamestop taught me a lot in terms of running an active business, and it overall provided me with a lot of experience that I have applied to future endeavors.
Pros
Positive Customer relationships, Employee Discount, Business Experience.
Cons
Hard to Advavance if not a minority or female, premium payments for healthcare.
Moviestop was a truly superb place to work for.
Manger (Former Employee) –  Port Richey, FLSeptember 10, 2016
The clientele were wonderful people, my colleges were energetic, courteous, and always willing to go the extra mile for any customer. Hours were great
Pros
Free movie rentals
Cons
No break or lunch rooms
Wouldn't recommend anyone working here
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Leominster, MAMay 11, 2016
The back office is very unkept, Managers take 2 week vacations every month, very shady corporations. Management accuse minority employees of stealing on multiple times. Very unorganized work flow, working conditions can be dangerous at times.
Buy, Sell, Trade Movies
Senior Crew Member/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  8635 Blanding BoulevardMay 24, 2016
I loved the atmosphere. It got a little hectic at times but it was fun and I had great co-workers and a fantastic Store Manager. I didn't like handling cash trades because the cash value was very low and I don't like hurting people. I loved it when I got to interact with our customers. I've gotten to know so many of them and it was really cool. It added a Mom and Pop feel to a corporation.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
They are closing
Fun environment
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Orange park, flJuly 9, 2015
Movies, more movies, what's not to like? Management is fun, they'll actually work with you to help you get comfortable with your job. I miss it someday's, but not after hearing the new software they use is difficult. I feel for them now, but other than that... Great place to work for.
Pros
Watching free movies
Cons
Rude customers complaining bout gift cards, part-time opportunities
Movies, Movies, Movies
Outside Marketing and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALNovember 4, 2015
Not a good work environment. Management is questionable. Terrible hours. Not willing to work with people who go to college.
Fun job not made for advancement
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Columbus, GASeptember 17, 2014
Job was exceedingly fun and the customers made the work worthwhile. However, there wasn't enough hours to produce a livable paycheck to even provide for groceries.Good starting point to learn correct customer service and gain experience but not challenging enough to secure opportunities to gain promotions.
Pros
store discount, friendly and caring atmosphere
Cons
no breaks, no hours, no room for advancement
Productive and Comfortable Workplace Enviroment
Cashier (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAFebruary 1, 2015
A very relaxing and enjoyable workplace due to the respectful yet funny personality of my manager. Always had time to cheer up anyone who walked into the store, customers or employees. The Hardest part in particular about this job was figuring out the different operations they had on the computers, after learning this everything was easy to understand and to perform. The most enjoyable part of my experience at this job was how kind and helpful everyone there was, especially when i had first started out.
Pros
Long lunch breaks, Bathroom Break
Cons
Very specific dress uniform (Bright Red shirt, nice dress pants with black belt and dress shoes)
Fun Workplace
Floor Cashier/Inventory Restock (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDJune 8, 2012
Management is nice and very productive. You get to enjoy talking about movies while selling and giving recommendations and opinions on other films or tv series.
Pros
free rentals; discount at moviestop and gamestop
Cons
no discount on discounted items
productive,Great work environment
General Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Lawerenceville, NJFebruary 22, 2013
A typical day would include coming in at 8 am in the morning having a conference call with other store manager's and district manager,discussing ideas,sales goals,accomplishments and problem solving.Bank run,preping store opening.Open the store at 10:00 am.customer service all day, everyday, and every time with every single customer.
Stocking,merchandising,organizing,upsaleing,reserving merchandise.closing,Training,and reseaching product info,standard closing procedures.
Pros
the whole job was a pro
Cons
company went bankrupt.
Fun place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VASeptember 7, 2013
I looked at this as my "fun part-time job", but that isn't to say we didn't work hard. From inventory to our usual customers, it was a blast, yet productive.
Fun but Minimum Wage
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kissimmee, FLDecember 17, 2012
If you don't mind getting minimum wage this is a good company to work for. You are able to check things out, so you save money.
But again Minimum wage and Low hours.
Pros
able to check movie's out.
Cons
minimum wage and low hours.
Un professional and very low pay.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  North Miami Beach, FLJanuary 13, 2014
This company is so bad at properly paying their employees it is ridiculous. On top of that the whole atmosphere is so unprofessional when it needs to be. Would not work for this company again
Pros
Discounts on movies
Cons
low pay, terrible leadership, bad support network
great place to work especially for a high school student
Manager (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALDecember 21, 2011
this company worked around my school schedule. they advanced me very quickly and provided a family atmosphere. i would recommend this job to any one
Pros
worked around your schedule, discount on movies
Cons
no healthcare, minimum wage
Fun place to interact with people.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Buford, GAJanuary 24, 2013
I have learned how to take in a trade and ring people out at the same time. we go from dead to slammed to dead again.
Pros
movie check out and the people i work with.
Cons
no place to get away from costumers for a break.
Fun while it lasted!
Store Support Desk (Current Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAMay 7, 2015
Moviestop, LLC was bought by Hastings. Worked at Corporate office and lost job because they took over. Love it otherwise

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MovieStop. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9