MPI Research Employee Reviews

Great Place to start your career
Science (Current Employee) –  Not willing toSeptember 14, 2016
It is a great place to start your professional career, but the compensation is horrific. A kid fresh out of high school, is on the same level as a person who has a Bachelors degree in Science. For example I have a degree in Biochemistry and get paid approximately the same as people in lower levels on the totem pole.
Pros
People you work directly with are wonderful.
Cons
MAnagement and Compensation
Productive yet unorganized and poorly managed
Research Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Test Material ControlJuly 12, 2016
Working at MPI Research was a good stepping stone in my career. This is a place that graduates go to use as a building block to get to the next place of employment. The skills and mechanisms used within the departments are state of the art yet the way they are presented by management makes them rudimentary. It takes great effort to learn new procedures within each department due to the lack of thorough training and poor managerial practices. The scientific equipment is plentiful and anything that was needed was promptly ordered. With that being said, the company as a whole is very layered. It, at times, seems like a frat house or extension of a high school drama class. Everyone is in everyones business. This may be the reason why the turnover rate is over 50%. But as most of these things are negative, there are very positive aspects to the company as well. The production (at least in my department) was very high. We hit our revenue goals for each quarter every time and were pumping studies out left and right with minuscule error. The only error came from the lack of seasoned technicians due to the turnover. But production was high and work was plentiful and the pockets of the top quarter salaried employees become deeper and deeper.
Pros
high production, yearly raises, room for movement, cafeteria.
Cons
poor management, time sensitive pressures, high turnover
NOT disability friendly
Animal Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Mattawan, MIJuly 18, 2016
Upon hiring, they knew I needed some accommodations. They were only tolerated for a few weeks, before they let you go.

Could easily file a disability discrimination lawsuit.

Management is total BS. If they like you, they will keep you, if they don't, then they will get rid of you.

For a 100+ million dollar company, wages are terrible.

Training is long, and dumb. Stating the obvious.

Cafeteria is awesome. Lots of choices, hot and cold foods.

Was fun having seminars, learning new things.
Pros
Cafeteria, Seminars
Cons
Wages, Managers, Long Days, HUGE Facility
Working towards a great cause
Histotechnician (Current Employee) –  Mattawan, MINovember 3, 2016
Typical day includes embedding, microtomy, routine and special staining, reagent management, and special projects.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Many required overtime/weekend hours
Managment was a joke
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Mattawan, MINovember 24, 2015
I worked in a department for over five years and received minimal raises and opportunities for advancement. Management was a joke if you weren't his buddy you better be ready for the worst work environment possible. Pretty much the PL was a tyrant, stay away from this place if you value your home/family time.
Pros
Benifits, Vacation
Cons
Long hours, lack of communication, low wages
Cro
Research Technician - Infusion Toxicology (Current Employee) –  Mattawan, MIFebruary 7, 2016
Long hours and small rewards, company has benefits but the salaries are at the low end of the range of competitive companies
Pros
A lot of vacation time for entry level
Hardworking work environment
Senior Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Mattawan, MIMay 4, 2016
I would get there at 5:30 (30 minutes early) to make sure I had specific studies out on time everyday. Time management was must, you had to almost always be performing 2 things at once. Management and my co-workers were great to be around, they actually made the job a lot more enjoyable. The hardest part of the job was not knowing if you had time for a morning break because you are so busy as well as staying there for up to 12 hours a day.
Excellent on paper until you talk to the people in person
Data Associate-Laboratory Sciences Quality Control (Current Employee) –  Mattawan, MISeptember 13, 2015
This is a great company with some poorly chosen management. The company structure attracts talent but has a difficult time retaining the talent because the people don't feel supported by management, feel underappreciated, and there is a general lack of recognition. To sum it up, actions speak louder than words, and the actions of the company lately have been heard loud and clear, "if you don't like it then leave".
Pros
amazing compensation plan, awesome work life balance
Cons
management, lack of ability to advance
Pharmaceutical
Lab Technician, Project Leader, Trainer (Former Employee) –  Mattawan, MIOctober 10, 2016
I work with this company for 20 years. It is great company to work for. People are very nice, learned lots of things from this company,
Good Comapny to work
Project Leader/ Supervisor/ QA / Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Mattawan, MIFebruary 3, 2016
The company have more than 1500 employees and the owner care about his employees. People are very friendly and we all work as a team. I learn the QC program, very attention detail, Management is excellent, I really enjoy the work, you learn new things everyday. We have company picnic, the owner comes to us and talk about the work, very nice guy
Pros
Very good company with lots of knowledgable people
Cons
we get discounted price for their products in the market
Wouldn't recommend
Bioanalytical Chemist (Former Employee) –  Mattawan, MIApril 13, 2016
Don't waste your time. You can do better than MPI. The turn over as horrible. The management was even worse. I could list so many bad things about this place, but mostly they expect too much for the meager wage.
Nice Place to work, good Benefits.
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Mattawan, MIOctober 30, 2015
It's a nice place to work with very supportive management. They provide great benefits. There is a lot of opportunity for advancement.
A good place to work and had excellent benefits at that time
Technician (Former Employee) –  Mattawan, MIApril 5, 2016
A schedule in the am and all tasks had to be completed before you went home.
Very important that procedures were followed daily as per protocol.
What I learned as a project leader is that dealing with employees was the hardest part. The tasks were mapped out.
Dealing with co workers was usually fairly easy as we all knew our jobs and proceeded to do them daily.
The most enjoyable part of the job was when a study was completed with minamal or no errors.
Pros
Health Insurance
Cons
Sometimes hours were too long.
It was a great job with a rewarding outcome but no life outside of mpi
Animal Services Technician (Former Employee) –  Mattawan, MIJanuary 10, 2016
The hardest part of the job was the ordering system throughout the company. Since all the departments used different ordering techniques it made daily work more difficult than it should have been. The most enjoyable part of mpi was that ultimately the work I was doing was helping people in the long run.
Pros
Rewarding job, good co-workers.
Cons
Aweful management and you were just a number to mpi
Filthy environment with no growth
Small Animal Research Technician - Gen Tox (Former Employee) –  Mattawan, MIAugust 20, 2014
MPI is overall considered the scourge of the animal testing industry, with low pay, constant overtime, and many weekend hours. Advancement is a joke; you get a tiny little raise and a million more responsibilities. Managers are useless.

Apparently you need a bachelor's degree to learn how to fill food containers for two hours. If you like brainlessness and monotony, then this is the job for you. You get to transfer departments after a year, and it seems like nobody wants to stay in the small animal gen tox department, because of the long hours and every third weekend schedule. Even if you transfer, it's to another department that's got their own share of problems.

You're better off anywhere but here.
Pros
Two breaks a day, other technicians are nice
Cons
Monotonous, tedious, no advancement
Get experience and move on
Research Technician  (Current Employee) –  Mattawan, MIMay 30, 2013
Not a great place to work. They always tell you that you can advance and get raises, but then you do everything to get them and they say "sorry, not enough money this year, maybe next year". There are always rumors of lay offs so you never know if your job is secure. A lot of great people work here and I have made a lot of friends, I also love working with the animals. But it's not worth it! You have to work tons of overtime, always at the last minute. Work lots of weekends and holidays. Sometimes you have to put in 60-70 hour work weeks (I've done some 80+ hour weeks when you include the weekend hours) and you better hope you don't have any appointments or things you need to leave early for, because it probably wont happen.
Pros
good co workers, great for animal lovers
Cons
management is ridiculous. they literally do not have any idea of how to manage people
Not worth the stress
PRIMATE TOXICOLOGY RESEARCH TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Mattawan, MIJuly 14, 2015
The starting wages and benefits package is decent for the area, if you have no degree. However, if you do have a degree the starting wages fall short compared to other similar companies. In my experience, with many co-workers agreeing, the company and management does not care about a home/work balance whatsoever and you are basically expected to be able to come in much earlier or stay much later than expected with no warning. Sometimes working 12-14 hour work days with one small break. That may seem okay on a small basis but when it's a consistent occurrence it really drains you and leaves you to find arrangements for family and pets and leaves you no time to see them. There is serious lack of communication and understanding across management which creates a lot of confusion when it comes to new rules or policies and upcoming changes. The CEO acts like he cares about the employees but is actually quite self-serving. Overall it is not worth it and I would never recommend them to anyone.
Benefits
Cons
Stressfull, no home/work balance
Good benefits
Junior Site Administrator (Former Employee) –  State College, PAOctober 18, 2015
I am thankful for the time at MPI. The benefits were outstanding. The job environment was insecure as the company has shutdown the State College office and thus I am out of work. Opportunity for advancement was minimal.
Pros
Good health care
Cons
No opportunity for advancement
Inexperienced management, empty promises for advancement and promotions.
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Mattawan, MISeptember 24, 2014
MPI Research has put in place a program centered around "Career Pathways," yet has a difficult time following through on promises made to it's employees regarding advancement. It seems that as long as something looks good on paper, that's all that really matters. Overall, MPI would be a great company to work for if they got rid of alot of the worthless management positions and used that money to compensate it's employees appropriately.
Pros
Benefits, i.e. Insurance, PTO, 401K
Cons
Poor Compensation, Top Heavy Corporation, Lack of Employee Recognition
Company striving to improve, but has a long way to go
Technician (Former Employee) –  Mattawan, MIFebruary 11, 2015
Overall I really enjoyed the work I performed and was proud of my accomplishments. Many co-workers were great and easy to work with. The culture and management require a lot of improvement though. The culture reminded me of high school. Numerous groups of people who would push away others, overall unwillingness for change, low acceptance of new employees, and failure of management to create a friendly and productive workplace. There are definitely great people working here, but I would frequently leave work exhausted and thinking of how negative and hostile the work environment was.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Work environment, hours

2.6