MRIGlobal Employee Reviews

Love the People, Concerned About the Future
Senior Engineer (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 23, 2015
For years MRIGlobal was a wonderful employer with a strong legacy in the Kansas City area. Unfortunately this has taken a strong hit over the past decade.

As an Engineer I have always enjoyed working on a diverse set of projects which has allowed me to continue to develop my skills. Over the past few years though, MRIGlobal has slowly transitioned away from technical Engineering work to the management of large government projects with little need for innovative thinking. At the current rate I strongly believe that MRIGlobal will leave the Engineering field and focus more on Project and Program management in the next five years. This is something that potential technical employees will need to strongly consider before taking a position here.

I would also like to add that while I have never stayed at MRIGlobal for the compensation, they are now so far behind the local and national averages that they have a very hard time hiring and keeping Engineers. This not only affects the work that we currently have, but also our ability to win future work as we just don't have the staff to compete with larger research organizations. Unfortunately this is controlled by HR and one of the most incompetent compensation analysts I have ever worked with. 2-3% merit increases will be the norm, regardless of how well you perform on your annual review.

I am starting my job search this week, which pains me, and there are dozens of others like me that are in the process of leaving...but not without heavy hearts as we think back on what a wonderful company MRIGlobal used to be.
Pros
Dedicated people that love their company and community.
Cons
Pay, stability, growth opportunities.
Trying to Stay Afloat
Staff Professional (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 19, 2015
MRIGlobal was once a respected home to innovation and diversity, but reliance on government contracts has turned them into a ship that is leaking water and employees rapidly.

In my time there nearly 1/3 of the company has left due to frequent layoffs or resignation. Dwindling budgets have left many of the laboratories and administrative systems outdated, making it hard to compete against others in the field. This also affects salaries, which lag far behind the industry standards.

To MRIGlobal's credit they have recognized many of these problems and have launched several business diversity and employee development programs, but due to budget constraints they are usually facilitated by the internal training team who lack both experience and industry knowledge.

My hope is that MRIGlobal can once again gain the innovative spark that made them industry leaders, but in the meantime prospective employees need to be aware that regardless of performance, a long career at MRIGlobal may not be possible.
Pros
Professional environment and flexible work schedules.
Cons
Job and company stability. The basic resources to do your job.
Antiquated business logic and 70's style management
N/A (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 24, 2015
This company values the way you interact with your peers more than how well you do your job. There is no regard for hard work, integrity, professionalism, or the level of money saving ideas you bring to the table. If you do not "get along" (Which is not important when in the world of business, it is about BUSINESS) they will get rid of you or make it hard for you to work there.
Pros
You help to save lives
Cons
You have to deal with slow, close minded people that contradict themselves constantly.
Interesting work
Staff Chemist (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 19, 2014
contract research relies too heavily on government contracts which seem to fluctuate greatly.
Excellent company
Sr Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 6, 2014
Excellent company, management, coworkers. Great environment. Family friendly, work life balance. Learned a lot in the several years at this company.
Pros
management, coworkers, company activities
Cons
communication
great atmosphere, great people
Staff Chemist (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 12, 2014
wide range of things to do
new equipment
large desks
clean floors
free coffee
Pros
free lunches
Cons
geese in the parking lot
good for recent graduates
Associate Scientist (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDDecember 18, 2013
Coworkers can make the monotony go by faster and make the job fun. However, management is out of touch with technical staff making completing projects difficult. There is also a severe lack of communication within management as well as between technical staff and management.
Definitely a good place to start are your career in science if you are a recent grad.
Pros
pretty good benefits, good entry level work
Cons
underpaid, no room for advancement unless someone leaves
Great for recent Grads but not a good place for advancement
Associate Scientist (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDJune 15, 2012
This review is only for the laboratory side of company. This is a good job for recent graduates, but there is little room for growth. The only way that you can move to another project is if someone quits and once you are on the project, you sit around with no work to do. Communication is poor, they wait until the last minute to inform you of changes. Work environment is becoming negative due to poor leadership.
Pros
staff activities (book club, walking club, holiday party, etc)
Cons
you may not eat lunch, negative atmosphere, complaining, poor communication

Want to know more about MRIGlobal?

Ask a question