MSC Industrial Supply Co. Employee Reviews in United States

Horrible job!!!
Receiving Associate (Current Employee) –  Mableton, GAMarch 11, 2016
If I knew what I know now about this job I would've stayed away from this place. Management is the worst. My supervisor doesn't know anything about nothing, and it seems as if management is aways out to get you. They're always waiting for you to slip up at anytime. They lie and say we're improving but when it comes time to incentives the pay out is not what they explain it out to be. Management also spread rumors with associates. Favoritism is high as well. If you're not 'liked' sort-of-speak then you're on their hit list. They micromanage like crazy so don't try to even help another associate they will accuse you of talking and slacking off. It's just a horrible place in general.
Pros
Health Benefits, overtime is aways available, not many pros
Cons
Management, short lunches and breaks, horrible HR department, bad training, the company in general is a con
Good place to work, with great people.
FIELD MARKETING MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYMarch 16, 2016
I was with MSC for 8 years. For most of those years they showed a tremendous loyalty for their associates. It is an extremely collaborative place to work and the environment is one that values family and work/life balance. Unfortunately the company is undergoing a lot of changes, both in management and culture, therefore things are changing rapidly. Some of these changes are good and necessary, but others seem rash and not very well thought out. Overall, I enjoyed my tenure with the company and I wish them the best in the future.
Great place to work and to feel valued.
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Georgesville, OHOctober 28, 2015
MSC cares about their "Associates" and will never refer to them as employees. While I was working for this company I felt as though I was actually valued as a member of a team. They will never make you work overtime and H.R. is always available. The work is simple and tough at times but is not back breaking. A typical day at work involves walking a lot and picking up some heavy items and that's about it, and honestly they pay you pretty well to do something that simple. Also has a good incentive program and gives the associates annual reviews and depending on your score you can get raises. Holidays are paid days off and you also get a fair amount of vacation and sick time after your first 90 days. All in all this is a great company that cares about its associates and loves to see them grow and move up in the company. I advise anyone looking for a warehouse job to apply here, its one of the cleanest and most professionally pleasant facilities I've seen.
Pros
good benifits, good starting pay, good atmosphere, value as a member
Cons
gets a little repetitive other than that none.
Ok
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Maumee, OHFebruary 14, 2016
Location manager is the key. MSC is a "box mover" not an offer of continuous improvement or costs savings. Not a personal challenge to help US plants be more profitable.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
No challenge for improvement
Terrible Experience.and hidden motives
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Jonestown, PASeptember 16, 2015
The culture they are trying to obtain is so unreachable. The culture is anything but positive. Hidden agendas' and keeping good face to make management look good is the main focus. Everyone is afraid to tell corporate anything that goes on. Middle management's favorite seasoned employees basically do nothing all day. Don't have any time left to call off to look for another job.
Pros
talking to some decent customers
Cons
Management, lack of culture, raises that are not that great.
Horrible!! Horrible!! Horrible!!
INSIDE SALES/CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MISeptember 7, 2015
If you want to work for someone who MICRO MANAGES YOU TO DEATH! Or till you want to quit! This is the place for you!! Management is a joke! If you go on FMLA for yourself or a family member, the HR Benefits manager looks at you like you are some sort of alien!!! WHAT A Junk PLACE!!!
Lots of hopping around by supervisors trying to get something on an employee! Just a MESS!!!
Pros
Not much ever!!
Cons
MICRO MANAGED, POOR MANAGEMENT, POOR HR DEPT. BENEFITS ALMOST NON EXISTENT, SPEND ONE MILLION DOLLARS ON A GENERATOR AT THE SOUTHFIELD, MI LOCATION SO THEY CAN KEEP YOU THERE IN THE COLD STILL WORKING.
Productive, fun, and driven workplace environment and team atmosphere
Purchasing Analyst/Supply Planner (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYAugust 12, 2015
Placed orders approximately 5-600 orders a week,I learned how to analyze budgets, the pros and cons and what solution would work best to clear up any issues,I learned how to negotiate with suppliers
Got a long great with my Co-workers
Past due lines and Back orders was the hardest part of the job, because we always want to keep the customer happy.
The most enjoyable part of the job was finding the solution, fixing the problem, and having overall customer satisfaction with our service.

Unfortunately, after 10 years working with MSC I had to resign my position to stay home and take care of my ailing daughter. She has since recovered and will remain that way.
Pros
Benefits package was stellar.
Cons
Would remain open during bad weather and roads not being cleaned to drive
Vendor Service rep
Vendor Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Twinsburg, OHDecember 15, 2015
I really liked working here. I had a Company car and good benefits. The people I worked with were good people. I just feel the company as a whole has lost track of their original sight.
Great place to start your career and then move on.
Sales Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Any Town, USAMay 26, 2016
Great place to start your career and then move on to another company willing to pay. The Sales Supervisor is a dead end job with no place to advance to. They overload you with managing the inside sales team, vendor sales rep team, onsite sales team and branch operations. Your expected to come in early and stay late just to some what keep up. They give out cars and cell phones to employees in your reporting line and you are expected to use your personal cell phone and car for company business. Business decisions are really bonus decisions to benefit upper management's year end bonus. The outside sales rep turnover rate is out of control, 18-24 months. Bonuses and pay raises are a joke.
Pros
Great place to start your career and then move on
Cons
Dead end job
Horrible company
Receiving Associate (Current Employee) –  Mableton, GAMay 26, 2016
I'd advise everyone to stay away from this company. Upper management will always be out to get you. Instead of promoting they hire from the outside instead of someone knowledgeable within the company. Favoritism is a huge problem. HR is useless even the HR that came from NY headquarters was useless. Upper management just wants their huge incentive from the work we do. They don't care for their associates unless they're in their inner circle. Anything that is and sounds stupid make sense to them. Overall horrible place to work and be. I'd explain more but I'd go on forever. The company should just be shutdown really.
Pros
Absolutely none. Well at least it pays something.
Cons
Everything about this company is a con.
Merchandise Selector (Former Employee) –  Fernley, NVJune 30, 2015
Typical day at work, consisted of logging into our RF guns, putting totes on our carts, scanning totes and then it would tell us the correct aisle and item number to pick. Co-workers were very frustrating there, seemed to mess around more than work. Management was hardly around to keep employees in line, when they were they seemed to correct the employees that didn't need it. Most enjoyable part of the job was listening to music and just being in a zone to get my job done.
Pros
People I got to work with and the 401kplan and healthcare
Cons
Management and the baseline they created for employees to follow
worst place in America to work for
receiving clerk (Former Employee) –  columbusJune 1, 2015
I worked in Columbus oh they lie to u management has no clue from one day to the next what is going on the director doesn't even has a college degree worked there for yr with no raise they said people wood never get fired for errors but then they fire people for accuracy they are very shady they want to feed u and give u free t-shirts trying to make it seem like a good place I have worked in warehouses for 20 yrs and I have to say this is the worst place company there is they have a very high turn over rate just in the first yr
Pros
Cons
horrible management
Very Good Company to work for...
Recruiter (Contract) (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MIMay 29, 2015
I have worked for a lot of companies and in various industries throughout my career. I have to say that MSC Industrial Supply Company has to be one my Top 3 places I have been employed during my career in Human Resources. The reason I believe is because they promote wirhin and also have an Associate Referral program that encourages the Associates to refer a firend or family memeber for career opportunities within the organization.
Pros
Great benefits, no weekends, True work life balance
just a great place to work
Verifier/Packer (Former Employee) –  Elkhart, INJuly 26, 2016
I liked every one there ,the benefits are great and management is very fair. I learned new skills while there. The hardest part of the job was if I had to wait for the products to get to my station, but most of the time I was busy and I like that as it help the time go by fast. the lunch room is very nice and is kept cool in the hot summer days. I only hope that I may some day return to work their as I did like my job
Pros
great benifits
Cons
Very good company to work for, good benefits, good pay and people oriented
Supervisor for packing and Shipping Department (Former Employee) –  Fernley, NVJune 13, 2015
MSC fulfillment Center focus on serving directly to the costumer; orders are place thru a call center and past to the fulfillment center to get process; is a very smooth and precise operation. Friendly place with a great and fair performance review system and twice a year employee bonuses. Small management with good people skills.
Pros
Good benefits, good pay and strong company that keep growing
tough Industry
Sr. Branch Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHAugust 13, 2015
Customers becaoming extremely demanding. Company is not equipt to handle the stress of the rapidly changing landscape. Our meassage to our customers is stale and needs a drastic make over. Support staff stretched to its limits.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Culture is not favorable to people in leadship positions
high turn over
Picker/Packer (Current Employee) –  Mableton, GAMay 26, 2016
when you first start it seems like a great place to work for. Its not all the employees hate each other. They want to you to almost run to keep up. there is a lot of favoritism going on at msc. what ever management says is the way it is. if your manager does not like you you will get a bad review. no room for advancement at all. they do not promote from with in. the job is easy. the people make it hard.
Pros
pay
Cons
everybody hates eachother
Excellent company.
Call Center Representative/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Jonestown, PASeptember 10, 2015
I enjoyed my job at MSC. I learned a lot about the metal working industry and tools in general. The hours were great, the pay was above average, and the benefits were decent.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
tough to get promoted
Good experience, but not for me.
Territory Sales Executive (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MIAugust 16, 2015
This was a great place to work, but was not meant for me. I had a hard time with the emotional baggage that comes with working in foster care and welfare. Great co workers, good compensation, easy work schedule and great culture.
Productive and very organized work place
In store sales/ picker/ packer (Former Employee) –  Jonestown, PAJanuary 25, 2016
I enjoyed working here very much. I was always learning something new. I learned how to pick and pack items for everyday customers and military bases. I learned how to properly handle hazmat materials. I learned sales and how to work hands on with customers that came into the store. I also learned how to operate a variety of forklifts. I enjoyed working with all of my co workers. The best part of this job was to see the smile on a customers face while helping them find what they where looking for.
Pros
yearly bonus
Cons
i dont have anything negative to say about my employment here

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MSC Industrial Supply Co.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9