MSC Industrial Supply Co.

MSC Industrial Supply Co. Employer Reviews

Good company to work for with great benefits and company culture.
Vendor Solutions Representative (Former Employee), Elkhart, INJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: benefits package
I enjoyed working for MSC, especially beginning in the warehouse and into sales, gaining an overall perspective and understanding of the company processes. What I appreciated most were the relationships I had established with my customers by utilizing the resources available to provide such great service.
Company looking for direction in different markets.
OSA (Current Employee), Kansas City, MODecember 31, 2014
The company is going through a growth phase. There are some growing pains and a lot of pressure on branch managers. Training is lacking especially to individuals new to the industry.
great place to be an associate
stockhandler parts puller packer (Former Employee), Elkhart, INNovember 5, 2014
Pros: treated associates very well
Cons: hard to get on 1st shift
2 different break rooms pool table ping pong satellite television warmer or extremely hot days got an extra break company would ice cream truck come to warehouse and have ice cream for free company outing and carry in lunched on a regular basis
GREAT JOBBBBBB
Inbound Receiving Clerk / Loader and Unloader (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAOctober 20, 2014
Pros: pay, overtime
Cons: dont mess up
Good job, great culture. pay is decent but you can get as much overtime you want. off weekend unless u choose to work and great benefits and bonus checks.
Very fast paced job, but had a friendly enviroment
Picker/Packer (Former Employee), GAOctober 15, 2014
Pros: friendly and safe work enviroment
Cons: the warehouse was huge and it was a long walk to the breakroom
I'd start everyday by grabbing a cart and a handheld and start grabbing work orders. I'd load up the cart and start picking them. We had different colored totes the orders went in to determine their priority. We had to work the ones with the highest priority first and work our way down. I learned the basics of picking and packing and the use of the handheld gun used to scan everything. Management and co-workers were all very friendly and easy to get along with. The hardest part of the job was you had to move fast to keep up with the workload. The best part of the job was the friendly environment, everyone got along great.
Good Company
Account Executive (Current Employee), Twinsburg, OHSeptember 30, 2014
Pros: company vehicle, incentives, healthcare.
Cons: unable to manage my account base as previous years. much of the decisions are made by corp.
A typical day at work would include scheduling appointments to meet with current customers for new opportunities, while generating new accounts.

I've learned many good sales skills/practices with extensive on going training.

Management is on hands but does not crowd you until recently.

Co-workers are very good at their jobs when they are not overwhelmed with work. When this happens, there are many mistakes made. Corp. will not hire any new help to assist with the overflow.

The hardest part of the job is being tasked with all that is required internally for corp. This takes away time for selling in the field.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the customer to assist them in achieving their goals and requirements.
MSC Review
Corporate Recruiter (Contractor) (Current Employee), Davidson, NCSeptember 29, 2014
The typical day at MSC was very busy but enjoyable. I enjoyed every aspect of my job beside the commute from work to home. While working at MSC I learned many different Human Resource functions and work with a great staff.
Team oriented company
Account Executive (Current Employee), MNSeptember 28, 2014
A very good company to work for. Good leadership and a positive work atmosphere.
Big Warehouse
Account Manager (Current Employee), Jonestown PASeptember 22, 2014
Pros: benefits including healthcare
Cons: short breaks and call center culture
Large distribution Center of Industrial Supplies in the Northeast of America, 400 plus employees. Game room. Lunch area. Huge parking and inside branch store for employees.
Open door policy is really the exit door policy
Account Executive (Former Employee), Tampa, FLAugust 22, 2014
Pros: mmm-m-m-m, can't think of any
Cons: management controlled by hr. . .they have to ask if it is ok to go to the bathroom.
Don't try it. They hate when you come into their office with an idea. Just sit at your desk and act like the rest of the dummies and robots that have managed to stay at the company by being dummies and robots.
Great company to work for!
eCommerce representative (Former Employee), Fernley, NVJune 16, 2014
Pros: pool table, relaxing atmosphere, catered lunches, pot lucks, special contests with great prizes
Cons: short 10 breaks
After punching in for the day you would immediately log into your phone and computer so that you can being taking sales calls as soon as your shift started. I also answered customer emails and made sure accounts were up to date.

I learned that you do not have to be and employee and slave away at a thankless job but you can work as a team and you're an associate that has a say in the way that the company can become more effective in its industry.

If you are dedicated to providing the best customer service then nothing is too hard or difficult for this position.

The most enjoyable part making the customer happy.
Good local company
Sales Associate; E-Commerce Representative (Former Employee), Fernley, NVMay 16, 2014
Pros: annual bonuses
Cons: poor management; uneducated employees
It is a good local company to work for. Management has a huge double standard and do not practice what they preach unless corporate executives are there visiting from New York. They consistently talk about how gossiping is forbidden, but never do anything to punish the greatest offenders and let it continue. They know the staff that does not take ownership and they promote them like hero's.Great bonuses and decent raises.
Great Company
Accounting (Current Employee), NCMay 15, 2014
Pros: free starbucks coffee, advancement opportunities, nice people(mostly)
Cons: lots of red tape and office politics, management can be over bearing
You can learned a lot. They will expect you to work really hard and go beyond your job description. Like most places there are those people that like to creat negativity, so you just have to do your best and leave the problems at the door when you go home.
MSC
OSA (Former Employee), Tampa,FL.April 25, 2014
Pros: first 4 months pay excellent.
Cons: company car sounds great but no mileage deductions. based on salary pay lots of taxes. not a 8-5 job, expect to work at home on your own unpaid time up to 4 hours daily at times.
Do you like emails at 6 am? Come to my office for meetint at 7am? Frequent emails over 300 words in content explaining why ! Then work for MSC. First 4 months great pay then the hammer comes down. Big deal company car, drive 800 miles weekly and be expected to make 12 stops and 20 people, Ya right!
BSM no clue as to being a salesperson, Territory vacant over 2 plus years and customers neglected with out a salesperson, asked WHY didnt you call on these customers and the trouble began with MICRO Management write ups weekly until I was Let Go.
BSM asked When are you picking up your car? I said tomorrow, called to office and terminated that afternoon. Good MSC Culture!
I could go on and on, just ask the OSA and ISA which are wonderful people their opinion of management and ATMOSPHERE.
FYI...I was told 3rd week by a Lil Birdie that he will ride you to death until you succumb to his management style or you'll be gone just like the last 3 in 3 years!
Worked 8 - 5, M - F. Large office environment
Machinery Service Eng. & Call Center Technician (Former Employee), Mableton, GAApril 16, 2014
Pros: worked with great people. attended out of town industrial shows
Cons: can be trying at times, with upset customers
In the first 4 years as a Machinery Service Engineer, I would handle incoming calls with warranty issues that could be repaired over the telephone, or would set-up an appointment with a service rep. within the network. I helped bring down department service costs annually. Worked with Import Vendors from China, Taiwan & Japan via e-mail and domestic vendors such as Wilton, Delta, Bridgeport-Hardinge etc., via e-mail, fax or telephone. Also helped expand nationwide network of service reps. Handled monthly service reports for Supervisor, assisted Machinery Sales Dept. and Machinery Parts Dept. when needed. Knowledgeable of Drill Presses, Lathes, Milling Machines, Surface Grinders and Electrical applications for machines.

As a Call Center Technician, I handled incoming customer calls with new or existing applications, with the help from our large catalog, vendors and /or personal experience. Was knowledgeable of most of the 500,000 items in our vast catalog and would coordinate assistance with domestic vendors such as Makita, DeWalt, Starrett, etc. if needed. In process of taking online engineering courses twice a week during working hours, with a current 93 GPA. Have received the Bronze and Gold stars for employee of the month on 5 different occasions. Also, was a member of the Safety Team for 2 yrs. Computer software used – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, AS 400, JD Edwards.
Old, very mid-90's environment
Telesales (Current Employee), Jonestown, PAMarch 21, 2014
Cons: 2 refrigerators. no lunchroom on first floor, cant take time off in first 90 days no matter how sick you are.
Old fashioned, old system, old thinking and many old ladies. A man certainly doesn't belong in this environment.
Great Company
Rep (Current Employee), CaliforniaMarch 7, 2014
Company has great local management and sales people. It is the local team that really makes the good of the company shine.
Good Company.....Poor Management
Credit (Former Employee), DavidsonFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: insentives
Cons: management
Overall the company is a good organization to work for. Management is a big problem. They have no clue as to how to handle situations and always relying on lead personnel to resolve the issue. Not flexible with family emergencies. Had to resign because I was reprimanded for taking time off due to family emergency.
Living The Culture "Customer Support"
Dedicated Government Sales Account Manager (Current Employee), El Paso, TXFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: using my skills and experience to support my customers
Cons: limited customer base.
I have learned at MSC that Customer Service is the difference in how to support my Customers. Managing and Servicing Customers needs is how to grow my business. They value my experience and y respect my supporting solutions on projects and business proposals . B2B or Retail business, it does not matter. Customers expect to be treated with the upmost respect and that is how I make my customers feel. I truly enjoy the support that I give my customer and the feeling of knowing that I have succeed in helping them with their business needs is the most rewarding part of my career. I also pride myself with my team work and how to mentor and support by peers. Supporting and advising them on projects and proposals helps me to understand our local business needs and outlooks. It is important to me that I be a team player and work well with others.
Stable job environment with low chance of promotion
Help Desk Analyst (Current Employee), Melville, NYFebruary 11, 2014
Pros: lax environment
Cons: low upward mobility, high consultant hire rate
MSC is overall a pretty good company. They provide good benefits and good starting compensation. Work culture is friendly and laid back for the most part.

Where the company fails is its promotion and hiring process. Most new hires are temps and consultants with very few full time non-sales openings. Upward advancement is very difficult unless its on a managerial level, due in part to all positions being filled with temps rather than full-time internal employees

Couple this issue along with a maximum pay raise of 3% yearly means its very hard to move forward in your career and increase salary, while workload slowly increases. Promotions mostly seen at management and senior management levels.

1 2 3

About MSC Industrial Supply Co.

Many a small thing has been made large by MSC Industrial Direct's business; the company stands as one the largest US direct suppliers – Read more

MSC Industrial Supply Co. Photos