MSC Industrial Supply Co. Employee Reviews

Review of overall experience
Market Development Representative (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 12, 2017
As I work from home, I have a great work-life balance, and can be purely self-motivated with little direct oversight from my management on day-to-day tasks.
I have learned a great degree of self-motivation, time-management skills, and have had opportunities to specialize in a variety of products and skills to further my advancement.
My management has been very hands off, allowing me to work at my own pace so long as I meet expectations. They are very supportive in professional growth and advancement.
The culture is cooperative and supportive, as we often work together to achieve the same goals.
The hardest part is prospecting for new business, as we often are doing the heavy lifting on our own without many tools for the hunt. This has been changing in recent months, with new tools being added to our repitoire to aid in prospecting.
I most enjoy my work life balance, advancement opportunities, and my management and support team.
review
Vendor Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 10, 2017
Great position for recent graduates as it builds experience however there is no room for growth. Management tends to lead you on about career possibilities just to make you stick around longer. The company is growing so more responsibilities is being added to roles without considerations for pay increase. Also there is too much traveling, about 3-4k miles per month.
msc
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MIJune 4, 2017
lovely place to work would like to retire form here but i want to relocate
I make over 45 calls a day trying to contact clients to purchase items
Everyone is friendly and helpful
Pros
bonuses
Cons
not where i want to relocate
Great cultural company to grow with.
Merchandise selector (Current Employee) –  Elkhart, INJune 2, 2017
The workplace culture at MSC is the best I have encountered within my life time thus far. The HR team is amazing and they truly go above and beyond to meet the needs of associates. Management is fantastic and are very accomodating and flexible with their associates. The hardest part of working inside the warehouse is the heat during the summer months. However, the company and team provide hydrating fluids constantly throughout the day and also offer extended heat breaks. The company does a lot of fun activities with their associates and they also have a yearly picnic. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people you meet and the opportunity for growth. MSC participates in the Make a Wish Foundation among other charity groups throughout the year as well. MSC is a great leader in our community and it is a pleasure to be in such great company.
Pros
Vacation time, sick time, 401k, health benefits, yearly bonus.
Cons
Summer heat
Great Business with very many opportunities.
Service Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 21, 2017
Great management, many opportunities to excel and move up. Great pay for what you do, and great work environment with diversity and culture. Also compensation of bonus's for exceling in your job.
Small sales office with large sales. Great place to work.
Vendor Managed Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 26, 2017
This was a great place to work. I started as the Office Manager and when I retired I was their Vendor Sales Rep. As a distributor and in a manufacturing State, this program was designed for a win/win. I would label the customer's stock room with part numbers to match our products and on their timeframe would inventory and place an order based the min/max quantities that they had set. This company did continued education on products and culture. I enjoyed this so much because I was on the road traveling to the tool and die shops but also was interacting with the customers management as well as the associates.
Pros
Lunches on a regular basis.
Cons
After working all day was expected to do some paperwork on own time from home.
Micro-Management
Inside Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 24, 2017
Being a top performer makes no difference to these uneducated supervisors. The men tend to favor young females with little or no MRO experience. If a jealous employee complains of a top performer like a first-grader, HR steps in like they have no other work but to ruin the life of the person to which the complaint was directed.
Pros
Cons
No breaks, HR runs the company
Not a permanent place to stay
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Austell, GAApril 12, 2017
Good place to work, not great. Management is a joke. Management doesn't take the time to listen to complaints nor practice basic management skills, employees dont stay long.
great company
National Accounts Credit Administrator (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYMarch 27, 2017
this company is a good company to work for. their pay scale and time off policy when I worked there were very antiquated. It was very far from my home and I wanted to be closer.
Pros
free coffee tea, full service cafeteria
Cons
pay was not equal to market
poor management
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Hanover Park, ILMarch 27, 2017
incompetent and terrible management skills. They had good benefits but that did not outweigh the above, which is a shame. Also did not their facts rights.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
language barrier
Empresa muy fuerte y solida en todos los aspectos. tanto laborales y personales.
Ejecutivo de Cuenta (Former Employee) –  Harlingen txFebruary 17, 2017
Un dia tipico en el trabajo. visitar mis clientes y crear nuevas oportunidades de crecimiento en ventas.

Lo que aprendi, Aprendi a planificar mi tiempo eficientemente,

Direccion en gerencia,, politica de puerta abierta, trabajo en equipo y communicacion efectiva.

Mis colegas o asociados, una relacion muy firme.

La parte mas dificil de mi trabajo ;; el constante viajar y no poder pasar mas tiempo con mis hijos ,, y los nuevos retos que se presentan dia con dia,

Lo que mas me gusto,, fue viajar, conocer la funcionalidad de los diferentes productos que se maquilan en mexico, la diveridad ideologica de las personas.
Pros
Muchos beneficios, entre ellos viajes y bonos anuales. capacitaciones constantes, etc
Cons
Los factores en contra, no tenia mucho tiempo para compartir en familia.
Great job but Corp. is constantly changing everything
Account Executive-Metalworking (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 8, 2017
Learned a lot while there and enjoyed all the inside personnel there.
Great company overall but employing too much Salesforce and making us fill out more data on each company than trying to do our jobs as salesmen. Too much reporting!
Pros
Good job & decent benefits, car, gas card, etc.
Cons
Too much Salesforce and not spending much time in selling.
Productive placeo work t
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mableton, GAJanuary 20, 2017
Great company to work for and a typical day is long hours on the phone. I learned great customer service skills. the culture was pleasant. Management was unfair. The hardest part of the job was customer complaints and most enjoyable was the work incentives and bonuses.
Thee best company to work for!!
picker/packer (Former Employee) –  Elkhart, INJanuary 15, 2017
MSC cares about their employees. They take the time to get to know you. They are flexible with hours or if you need a day off. They will work with you. The management cares about their employees. Truly an amazing company to work for!!
Good place to work for but corporate is not.
Shipping and Receiving (Current Employee) –  East Providence, RIJanuary 14, 2017
The work is either a lot or barely none at all. Management at the branch level are great. they work with you and not against you. Benefits are not that great. The cost is way to high for coverage that doesn't do much. co-workers are great to work with. Corporate is not the greatest. Always pushing foreword policy without knowing what it is like to work at our level.
Great Industrial Distributor
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  IllinoisJanuary 6, 2017
Great management staff and a team of people throughout the company that genuinely want to advance. Learning all of the product and what to look for at customers was the main job here. So many tools to work with to make the sale easy. VMI and CMI setups at customer locations and weekly visits to your top level customers. Business Development is critical.
Pros
Management, Culture and advancement
Cons
Lower wage
Great employer
Recruiter/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Fernley, NVDecember 1, 2016
Great employer, great benefits and Management was easy to work with. I would recommend this employer to anyone looking for a career. Location of the warehouse is in small town with very small commute time.
Poor managers hbr mamager was a bully
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Jonestown, PANovember 16, 2016
No one would stand up to the hbr manager she made everyone's day a pure nitemare. Jobs functions out dated to much manual work put on employees
Pros
No weekend work
Cons
Managment
Horrible place to work
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 24, 2016
Maintenance , Horrible bunch of liars . Columbus Ohio is a 52 million dollar cfc that is BOUT to be sold . Build you up with lies of advancement.Pay is minimal
Pros
Cons
Lies
A good place company with a good culture
Team Member (Current Employee) –  WednesburySeptember 15, 2016
Not a bad place to work in, the culture and the benefits are good but i do think unless your near the top of the company you wont get recognised if your at the bottom... some of the people who work their too think too much highly of thereselfs certain mr know it all...
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Long working hours. Expected to work christmas eve

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MSC Industrial Supply Co.. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval