Mt. Hood Community College Employee Reviews

College finally headed in right direction
Software Applications Instructor (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 8, 2016
Mismanagement at top levels for many years although new president is finally turning things around. Have worked part time for over 6 years. Would like to work full time but as is the case with most higher educational institutions, there are at least 10 part time instructors for every full timer so college doesn't have to pay benefits
Pros
Great colleagues to work with
Cons
Budget shortfalls, nearly impossible to get hired full time
Not a good place to work
Sr. HR Generalist / Lead Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Gresham, ORNovember 29, 2016
My experience was not good. There are some wonderful folks who give their all, but tension between faculty and the unions often made for a negative work environment. HR Director highly incompetent, unable to deal with systemic issues. Administrative staff are undervalued, and diversity of student population not represented in faculty/administration staff.
Pros
Wonderfully dedicated, long-term employees
Cons
Bad morale, poor overall management (esp HR), financial instability
It was a good experience, working in the IT environment, with good people
Intern (Former Employee) –  Gresham, OROctober 25, 2016
I've been working with multiple computers at once, applying disk images/setting up the computers. We used the old software, Norton Ghost, but it worked, and that's all that was needed. My internship supervisor was super good, and I enjoyed working with him and my coworkers. The hardest part was to learn new software, but after all, it didn't take long, and once I was done with it - I could do it flawlessly. Even though this job didn't include working with people, it was all about computers, which I liked a lot.
Pros
Learn new stuff, hard work, multitasking, good boss/co-workers
Cons
It was just an internship for 10 weeks
Always interesting new people.
Librarian Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gresham, ORNovember 27, 2016
Everyday was new and there was always something you could do to keep busy. We were taught a new way of shelving books, and we were taught how to help keep the shelves organized. The most difficult part of this job is staying focused on task because when there are many employees available your main job might be sitting at the help desk, and there may be no-one at the library. It was enjoyable though because you always got to see new faces, and help so many people out.
Cool First Gig
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Gresham, ORJanuary 17, 2017
I worked at the pool. It was a fun, friendly environment, however when it was time to act everyone was professional and competent. I enjoyed my time here and recommend it.
Great benefits, lots of time off, pay above average for field
Family Worker (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 9, 2016
Standards shifts 8-5, increasing work load, management's lack of staff appreciation. Possibility of losing grants everything is contingent on federal funding $$$ and positions always in jeopardy .
Pros
lots of time off
Cons
short breaks, union fees
Learning Success Center at MHCC
Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gresham, ORJune 23, 2016
The Learning Success Center is a place for students to go for help on their studies.
I learned how to be proficient with MS Office
Closed and opened lab
Co-workers are always there to help students with a kind smile.
If there is a question I cannot answer, I show the student how to use google to find their answer easily.
The ability to help students with their studies. It is such an honor to teach a struggling student what they are having difficulties.
Pros
Relaxed work enviornment
Fun
Office Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gresham, ORJune 2, 2016
It was a nice place to work minus the people who contantly break requirments and nothing is done about it. I would not reccomend working there.
Pros
Free tuition
Cons
Everything Else
Educational Environment
Facilities Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Gresham, ORJune 10, 2015
It is motivating to work with students and community members to help them achieve their goals. The politics of an educational environment make it difficult to progress professionally.
Pros
Student interaction and tuition reimbursement
Cons
Management turnover
Temporary Work Study Employment
Aide/Lab ast. III (Current Employee) –  Gresham, ORNovember 7, 2014
It is a great place to work. My management team members are very supportive and knowledgeable. Typical day includes making copies, grading, data entry, setting up and taking down labs, filing, creating forms and worksheets for students and instructors, helping students with directions, answering questions, assisting with homework, aiding the instructors with tasks needed doing, running errands, creating and maintaining filing and organizational systems, and that is a slow day . The employees are friendly and fun to work with. The hardest part about my job, is that it is almost over.
Family atmosphere with flexible hours
Computer Lab Monitor (Current Employee) –  Gresham, ORMarch 29, 2016
Flexible hours. A lot of down time to work on homework and other activities. Build skills relating to computer use, and application(s) usage.
Excellent place to work
Writing Tutor (Former Employee) –  Gresham, ORJune 30, 2013
Mt Hood is a wonderful school and an engaging, satisfying place to work. Tutoring college students of all levels is both challenging and rewarding, but having repeat students who come in and ask specifically for me made me feel like I was doing something right. The management was great--flexible and available for any questions the employers may have. I'd love to work here again.
Pros
Great management, satisfying work
Cons
Not enough hours
Interesting and productive place to work.
Editor-in-Chief of The Advocate - campus newspaper (Former Employee) –  Gresham, ORJuly 1, 2015
At The Advocate (Mt. Hood's newspaper), we were required to be informed about everything that went on at the college in order to be able to inform readers through the printed product and the website. Weekly meetings were always productive with editors contributing their ideas for stories for the week. The administration held us accountable for any reporting errors, and all efforts were made to keep information factual.

The advisers were always ready to help and the atmosphere was very friendly and helpful. The most difficult part of the job was keeping up with deadlines, but that got easier as the year went on.
Pros
Being informed with college campus
Cons
Deadlines
Families can be fun to work with, groups can be fun. High expectations and often times miss lunch
Early Head Start Family Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 18, 2015
Groups are fun, families can be fun to work with. Building positive relationships with the families is great.
Job expectations are insane! caseloads and weekly 90 min visits even when family cancels repeatedly is stressful. Staffs expected to make up visits and chase families around when family cancels. Staffs responsibility to reschedule visits which cause staff to work later hours(6-8pm). 90 min visits are to long to be in families home especially with small children. Very difficult to schedule weekly visits with mandatory staff trainings, groups, parent meetings etc. Paperwork: duplication in several places, medical and developmental screenings due no matter if parent does it or not. Reminded daily of grant expectations and federal guidelines to the point it stresses staff out. No system in place to alert what screenings are due and when. Job climate is stressful but can be fun. Most staff are nice with the exception of some. supervisors/managers try their best and are not perfect. Great supervision and great feedback. Culturally program could use training in cultural competency.
Pros
flexibility, compensation
Cons
No lunch breaks, staff culturally incompetent, staff/managment burnt out, heavy workload, expected to work lates nights, calls staff on days off
rewarding and positive work environment
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Gresham, ORAugust 17, 2014
Best part of the job is the interaction with the students. I worked in a great department and my supervisor was NOT a micro-manager, so I had creative freedom to develop and be of service to our students.

MHCC has a lot of long-term employees-good and bad. Still, one of the best places I've ever worked.
MHCC cares for its students
Coordinator of Board and Public Relations (Current Employee) –  Gresham, ORMarch 10, 2014
Like all Oregon community College, Mt. Hood Community College continues to struggle with a lack of state funding.

The college invests a lot into providing a great learning environment for its students.
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
State funding continues to be a hardship
Think Twice Before Working Here
Director of Communications (Former Employee) –  Gresham, ORNovember 21, 2014
Mount Hood Community College was a nice place to work a long time ago. These days it is floundering with no real direction. They say staff are their most valuable resources, but their actions do not support their clever words.

You have to go outside to find a bathroom and when you do, all the faucets are programmed to deliver only cold water. The food has improved a bit, but they have still have a ways to go.

The buildings are falling apart. Don;t wear heals in the parking lot -- you are sure to trip or twist an ankle on the uneven surface.
Pros
on the bus line, one or two friendly people, some parts of campus are nice to look at.
Cons
You have to go outside to find a bathroom and when you do, all the faucets are programmed to deliver only cold water, the food has improved a bit, but they have still have a ways to go, the buildings are falling apart, don't wear heels in the parking lot -- you are sure to trip or twist an ankle on the uneven surface.
Productive and diverse campus.
Student of Associate of Applied Science- Marketing (Current Employee) –  Gresham, ORNovember 7, 2014
I enjoy being a student of MHCC, my course of studies will be coming to an end shortly and I look forward to applying my new found knowledge towards a great career.
I am blessed to have my supervisor at East Hill Church also my intern supervisor
Registration and admissions clerk (Former Employee) –  Gresham, OregonMay 12, 2015
I checked in and out children in the church nursery during services and classes. I managed the afternoon and evening shifts along with four to six nursery workers. No part of the job was difficult or hard. The job was fun and rewarding. My supervisor Cathe Weise is the best I have ever worked under. I loved holding and rocking the children.
Pros
working with Parents and Children.
Cons
alot of lifting and standing.
Hard
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Gresham, ORAugust 1, 2013
This job is like most cleaning jobs, such as eyes for detail past basic cleaning. The hard factor of this job is not only is there detail cleaning but you also have to cleaning during events. Before and events starts, usually you will have to set up tables, chairs and dividers to the customers expectation. Then after the event is over, tearing them down. So this job has NO down time what so ever
Pros
You can be a student and work at the same time
Cons
Part time people- 1000 hrs a year, full time is hard to get

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mt. Hood Community College. Our community is ready to answer.

Mt. Hood Community College Reviews by Location