Mt. Hood Community College Employee Reviews

Families can be fun to work with, groups can be fun. High expectations and often times miss lunch
Early Head Start Family Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 18, 2015
Groups are fun, families can be fun to work with. Building positive relationships with the families is great.
Job expectations are insane! caseloads and weekly 90 min visits even when family cancels repeatedly is stressful. Staffs expected to make up visits and chase families around when family cancels. Staffs responsibility to reschedule visits which cause staff to work later hours(6-8pm). 90 min visits are to long to be in families home especially with small children. Very difficult to schedule weekly visits with mandatory staff trainings, groups, parent meetings etc. Paperwork: duplication in several places, medical and developmental screenings due no matter if parent does it or not. Reminded daily of grant expectations and federal guidelines to the point it stresses staff out. No system in place to alert what screenings are due and when. Job climate is stressful but can be fun. Most staff are nice with the exception of some. supervisors/managers try their best and are not perfect. Great supervision and great feedback. Culturally program could use training in cultural competency.
Pros
flexibility, compensation
Cons
No lunch breaks, staff culturally incompetent, staff/managment burnt out, heavy workload, expected to work lates nights, calls staff on days off
Educational Environment
Facilities Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Gresham, ORJune 10, 2015
It is motivating to work with students and community members to help them achieve their goals. The politics of an educational environment make it difficult to progress professionally.
Pros
Student interaction and tuition reimbursement
Cons
Management turnover
Awesome Environment
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Gresham, ORMay 18, 2015
I had to take care of students that where coming in the building by directing them to their destination. I would greet anyone who came through the door. I would answer any questions students might have about he campus and what we offer.
I am blessed to have my supervisor at East Hill Church also my intern supervisor
Registration and admissions clerk (Former Employee) –  Gresham, OregonMay 12, 2015
I checked in and out children in the church nursery during services and classes. I managed the afternoon and evening shifts along with four to six nursery workers. No part of the job was difficult or hard. The job was fun and rewarding. My supervisor Cathe Weise is the best I have ever worked under. I loved holding and rocking the children.
Pros
working with Parents and Children.
Cons
alot of lifting and standing.
N/A
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gresham, ORJanuary 23, 2015
answer phone
clean tables
answer questions
make appointments
- hardest part of the job was having a student take I couldn't help
- most enjoyable part of job was everything
my co-workers and boss were very great people
Think Twice Before Working Here
Director of Communications (Former Employee) –  Gresham, ORNovember 21, 2014
Mount Hood Community College was a nice place to work a long time ago. These days it is floundering with no real direction. They say staff are their most valuable resources, but their actions do not support their clever words.

You have to go outside to find a bathroom and when you do, all the faucets are programmed to deliver only cold water. The food has improved a bit, but they have still have a ways to go.

The buildings are falling apart. Don;t wear heals in the parking lot -- you are sure to trip or twist an ankle on the uneven surface.
Pros
on the bus line, one or two friendly people, some parts of campus are nice to look at.
Cons
you have to go outside to find a bathroom and when you do, all the faucets are programmed to deliver only cold water, the food has improved a bit, but they have still have a ways to go, the buildings are falling apart, don't wear heels in the parking lot -- you are sure to trip or twist an ankle on the uneven surface.
Temporary Work Study Employment
Aide/Lab ast. III (Current Employee) –  Gresham, ORNovember 7, 2014
It is a great place to work. My management team members are very supportive and knowledgeable. Typical day includes making copies, grading, data entry, setting up and taking down labs, filing, creating forms and worksheets for students and instructors, helping students with directions, answering questions, assisting with homework, aiding the instructors with tasks needed doing, running errands, creating and maintaining filing and organizational systems, and that is a slow day . The employees are friendly and fun to work with. The hardest part about my job, is that it is almost over.
Productive and diverse campus.
Student of Associate of Applied Science- Marketing (Current Employee) –  Gresham, ORNovember 7, 2014
I enjoy being a student of MHCC, my course of studies will be coming to an end shortly and I look forward to applying my new found knowledge towards a great career.
rewarding and positive work environment
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Gresham, ORAugust 17, 2014
Best part of the job is the interaction with the students. I worked in a great department and my supervisor was NOT a micro-manager, so I had creative freedom to develop and be of service to our students.

MHCC has a lot of long-term employees-good and bad. Still, one of the best places I've ever worked.
Not really what I wanted to do
Theater Assistant (Former Employee) –  26000 SE Cherry Park RdJuly 25, 2014
I would rather not talk about this one. it is too personal on what I did on a daily basis.
Pros
lunch breaks
Overall good place to work.
Geology Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gresham, ORJuly 10, 2014
I loved the people I worked with. Not only was it an opportunity to learn but an opportunity to help others learn.
MHCC
Student Aide - IS Dept (Former Employee) –  Gresham, ORJune 3, 2014
Loved working here while attending college. Worked in the IS Dept, assisting with database creation and updating, creating excel spreadsheets, assisting helpdesk.
MHCC cares for its students
Coordinator of Board and Public Relations (Current Employee) –  Gresham, ORMarch 10, 2014
Like all Oregon community College, Mt. Hood Community College continues to struggle with a lack of state funding.

The college invests a lot into providing a great learning environment for its students.
Pros
great benifits
Cons
state funding continues to be a hardship
Productive and fun workplace
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gresham, OROctober 27, 2013
I had a great experience working for this company. They were extremely flexible with my schedule, very helpful and egger to teach me new things. I think I had the best boss because of her fun and positive personality.
Hard
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Gresham, ORAugust 1, 2013
This job is like most cleaning jobs, such as eyes for detail past basic cleaning. The hard factor of this job is not only is there detail cleaning but you also have to cleaning during events. Before and events starts, usually you will have to set up tables, chairs and dividers to the customers expectation. Then after the event is over, tearing them down. So this job has NO down time what so ever
Pros
you can be a student and work at the same time
Cons
part time people- 1000 hrs a year, full time is hard to get
Excellent place to work
Writing Tutor (Former Employee) –  Gresham, ORJune 30, 2013
Mt Hood is a wonderful school and an engaging, satisfying place to work. Tutoring college students of all levels is both challenging and rewarding, but having repeat students who come in and ask specifically for me made me feel like I was doing something right. The management was great--flexible and available for any questions the employers may have. I'd love to work here again.
Pros
great management, satisfying work
Cons
not enough hours
friendly environment.
Bilingual office specialist/receptionist (Current Employee) –  Gresham, ORJune 28, 2012
It is very nice and friendly environment where instructors and employees providing best service for our students. I love helping all kinds of students, learning new languages.
fun to work at
Math and Chemistry Tutor (Current Employee) –  Gresham OregonJune 24, 2012
I enjoyed working for them. The pay is Ok but if you are going to school there you can work around your classes. I also like the fact I could stay up on the skills I have learned. I know that my math has gotten much better along with the other subject I have studied.
Interesting people to work for
Peer Mentor (Former Employee) –  Gresham,ORMay 17, 2012
Working at the college gave me the chance to enroll my daughter in the head start on campus:).
Pros
study and work
Cons
not a lot of shade to study area outside