Mt. Hood Community College Employee Reviews

Workplace
Preschool Teacher (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 2, 2018
I worked in this company for a while and I also learned a lot about how to work in a classroom.s job was temporal, but I learned different strategies the teaching.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short breaks
Job security for part-time only
Persuasive Writing Instructor (Current Employee) –  Gresham, ORJanuary 2, 2018
If you want to be a part-time instructor all your life, this is the place. The full-time contract is rigged to stop the instructors from getting more classes, not the case at other colleges in the region.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
Lack of advancement, part-time contract
Productive and welcoming staff/ co-workers
Public Safety Intern (Former Employee) –  Gresham, ORDecember 4, 2017
I was an intern at Mt. Hood Community College with Public Safety. My experience was memorable and very knowledgeable. The environment was very welcoming and friendly. Not once did I feel unsafe or uncomfortable. I learned how to patrol around the campus and deal with different crisis and emergencies that occurred at the campus professionally. A typical day for me was, patrolling, helping with dispatch and working on practicing report writing.
Even though the internship was non paid, I would work for them again. It was a positive experience for me.
Great benefits and salary
Director facilities management (Former Employee) –  Gresham, OROctober 28, 2017
4 presidents in 8 years. 5 Vice Presidents in 8 years. High turnover of top management in several other areas as well. Lots of budget problems. Lots of staff dissatisfaction with management decisions. Poor communication.
CNA Instructor (Former Employee) –  Gresham, OROctober 18, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed my experience working at the college. They have many resources and additional classes that are offered for staff. They recognize employee efforts. Overall a great place to work.
Pros
Direct deposit, management easy to deal with, competitive pay.
Cons
No health insurance for part time faculty.
Enjoyable and lenient for a student with outside responsibilities
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Gresham, OROctober 11, 2017
MHCC is really a great place to work form a student standpoint for two reasons: first, you’re getting paid to work for your staff very minimally. Second, you have an option to get paid in personal check or you can assist in paying for your school.
Fun place to be
Student (Former Employee) –  Gresham, ORAugust 2, 2017
Always has a great atmosphere. Staff is always friendly. They keep everything very clean and put pride into the campus. Easily one of the best colleges in the Pacific Northwest
n/a
Information Technology Analyst (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 31, 2017
I have just started working in my internship and I hope I could work in this environment to support my family and I like to work in education environment.
Leadership and people development is lacking at Mt Hood Community College
Manager Student FInacial and Enrollment Services (Former Employee) –  Gresham, ORMay 22, 2017
I truly enjoyed seeking out ways to help students achieve their education goals. There were many opportunities for process improvements, I found it difficult to operate in a status quo environment that put student needs as a low priority.
Pros
Excellent benefits and the opportunity to work with students
Cons
Lack of clear leadership
Great Place to work and live!
Facility Safety and Risk Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Gresham, ORMay 15, 2017
If you enjoy helping others, being involved and working beyond your potential than come look and see what MHCC has to offer you! The pay is OK and the benefits are exceptional.
Pros
Great people, relaxed environment
Cons
Work place politics are rampid here!
Great location
Part Time Chef Instructor (Former Employee) –  Gresham, ORMarch 29, 2017
Great place to work, very friendly staff and management team. Moving from part time instructor to full time in my particular program was difficult. Other than that it was a great overall experience.
Pros
Great location and managment team
Cons
Parking
amazing place to work
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gresham, ORJanuary 30, 2017
i absolutely adored working there and i would honestly work there again in a heartbeat, on a typical day of work i would get my boss and myself coffee then sit down and respond to emails and help staff with needs/wants then once the department i worked in opened i would welcome students and help students with questions they might have, i learned a lot about compassion for peoples situations, i also learned how to answer phones and leave messages for people in a quick straight forward yet heartfelt and compassionate manner, the best part of the job were the people
Pros
great staff
Cons
no real job securtity
Cool First Gig
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Gresham, ORJanuary 17, 2017
I worked at the pool. It was a fun, friendly environment, however when it was time to act everyone was professional and competent. I enjoyed my time here and recommend it.
Not a good place to work
Sr. HR Generalist / Lead Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Gresham, ORNovember 29, 2016
My experience was not good. There are some wonderful folks who give their all, but tension between faculty and the unions often made for a negative work environment. HR Director highly incompetent, unable to deal with systemic issues. Administrative staff are undervalued, and diversity of student population not represented in faculty/administration staff.
Pros
Wonderfully dedicated, long-term employees
Cons
Bad morale, poor overall management (esp HR), financial instability
Always interesting new people.
Librarian Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gresham, ORNovember 27, 2016
Everyday was new and there was always something you could do to keep busy. We were taught a new way of shelving books, and we were taught how to help keep the shelves organized. The most difficult part of this job is staying focused on task because when there are many employees available your main job might be sitting at the help desk, and there may be no-one at the library. It was enjoyable though because you always got to see new faces, and help so many people out.
It was a good experience, working in the IT environment, with good people
Intern (Former Employee) –  Gresham, OROctober 25, 2016
I've been working with multiple computers at once, applying disk images/setting up the computers. We used the old software, Norton Ghost, but it worked, and that's all that was needed. My internship supervisor was super good, and I enjoyed working with him and my coworkers. The hardest part was to learn new software, but after all, it didn't take long, and once I was done with it - I could do it flawlessly. Even though this job didn't include working with people, it was all about computers, which I liked a lot.
Pros
Learn new stuff, hard work, multitasking, good boss/co-workers
Cons
It was just an internship for 10 weeks
College finally headed in right direction
Software Applications Instructor (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 8, 2016
Mismanagement at top levels for many years although new president is finally turning things around. Have worked part time for over 6 years. Would like to work full time but as is the case with most higher educational institutions, there are at least 10 part time instructors for every full timer so college doesn't have to pay benefits
Pros
Great colleagues to work with
Cons
Budget shortfalls, nearly impossible to get hired full time
Learning Success Center at MHCC
Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gresham, ORJune 23, 2016
The Learning Success Center is a place for students to go for help on their studies.
I learned how to be proficient with MS Office
Closed and opened lab
Co-workers are always there to help students with a kind smile.
If there is a question I cannot answer, I show the student how to use google to find their answer easily.
The ability to help students with their studies. It is such an honor to teach a struggling student what they are having difficulties.
Pros
Relaxed work enviornment
Cons
Great benefits, lots of time off, pay above average for field
Family Worker (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 9, 2016
Standards shifts 8-5, increasing work load, management's lack of staff appreciation. Possibility of losing grants everything is contingent on federal funding $$$ and positions always in jeopardy .
Pros
lots of time off
Cons
short breaks, union fees
Fun
Office Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gresham, ORJune 2, 2016
It was a nice place to work minus the people who contantly break requirments and nothing is done about it. I would not reccomend working there.
Pros
Free tuition
Cons
Everything Else