Multnomah Education Service District Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Friendly Environment
Work as a School Health-Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 30, 2017
People are very friendly there.
Clear instruction was given during the first few weeks of work so that I could be able to learn and adjust to my work fast.
It's easy to reach out for help when there's any confusion or question.
Instruction with students in variety environments
Speech Language Pathologist (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 26, 2015
My job was challenging and exciting. I was able to help students prepare for school by helping them to be the best prepared for kindergarten. I enjoyed working with families and educational settings as a consultant.
My day was varied. I had groups of students in speech clinics and out in the community. I worked with children individually or in groups depending on the situation. I often worked in conjunction with parents so they could help their child when I wasn't there. Often did testings of students in classrooms and homes. This was mentally challenging in that I had to test and determine which skills the child would benefit most from learning and what their main areas of difficulty involved. I then wrote reports and participated in meetings with parents and other team members.
Pros
To help children prepare for school. Knowing that what I did made a difference.
Cons
Never enough time. Too much paperwork.
Complex Culture-challenging
Human Resources Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 1, 2013
Working in the HR dept is a very demanding area. Balancing high volume employee needs and challenging technology is at times perplexing. The overall organization has had a lot of internal reorganization in the last 2 years. The learning curve to understand all the non ingrated systems and processes can be overwhelming.
I enjoy working with students and especially Special Ed students
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 11, 2013
I oversee about 50 Medically Fragile students in the school setting. Most of the students live at Providence Center for the Medical Fragile and during the school year, they are placed in several different schools from kindergarten to age 21. Routinely, I teach the educational staff how to care for these students by delegation training following our Student Health Management Plan, continue to assess their health care, contact parents/Resident Care Managers. There is also ongoing health care assessments that I do if problems arise at school. I have learned to be an active listener and to try and work with all people involved. I also work with a LPN. The hardest part of the job is making sure that I am aware of all their health care needs. The most enjoyable part is watching these kids grow and see the changes that occur over time.
Pros
school calendar
Cons
no breaks and everybody wanting your time.
Too many out of work teachers, so few opportunites to sub.
substitute teacher (Current Employee) –  middle or high schools in the MESD.March 7, 2012
MESD is a great operation, they do a good job at training and helping teachers. The problem is that too many teachers have been laid off in the last five years. MESD hasn't accepted new substitutes for quite a while because they have so many! Until something changes within public education, many young teachers will end up leaving the profession.
Pros
you can pick and choose which jobs to accept.
Cons
not many job opportunities come your way!
Great place to work with like-minded people
Student Advocate (Former Employee) –  Portland, OregonDecember 28, 2011
I only worked at Multnomah Education Service District for one year but I really enjoyed my time there. The management was very encouraging and supportive and open to suggestions from employees. I especially appreciated the fact that management let you do your job without breathing down your neck. They trusted you to do what you knew how to do without smothering you with forms and restrictions. I would highly encourage anyone looking for work to seek out a job at Multnomah Education Service District if they live in the Portland area. It truly was an enjoyable place to work.