The IT Security Engineer position will provide infrastructure and application support staff with technical leadership as it pertains to design, configuration, prioritization, implementation, documentation and administration of all IT security efforts. This person will work closely with the rest of the Information Technology team to help drive the strategic road map for all technology related solutions from a cyber-security perspective. This hands-on technical position will provide the organization with the highest level of expertise as it applies to cyber-security in state-of-the-art virtualized network infrastructures, software, and services. The IT Security Engineer may be involved with the installation, configuration, upgrading and troubleshooting of any security issues relating to infrastructure and/or application technologies. This position is charged with the responsibility and accountability of providing information for long-term technological solutions that will meet MERS’ business needs, as well as maintaining the reliability and service level standards as dictated by department management. The IT Security Engineer will also be charged with the development and implementation of standards, processes and procedures that conform to best practices outlined in NIST and COBIT standards. The IT Security Engineer will be responsible for any business requirements primarily related to IT security as it pertains to MERS computer services, customer connectivity, vendor connectivity and network performance.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Identifies, communicates and mitigates risks associated with infrastructure projects
- Utilizes a range of skills, tools and techniques to manage time while accomplishing
strategic objectives. Organizes, prioritizes, schedules and adjusts approaches as needed.
- Recommends, develops, and tests new technology and develops solutions, documentation
for infrastructure or network projects.
- Works closely with the business and IT to develop cost effective, operationally supportable
solutions that meet complex requirements.
- Directs customer communication, works closely with other technical teams and maintains
deep technical knowledge of multiple technologies.
- Assists in developing project cost-benefit estimates to establish project worth; including
alternative considerations leading to recommendations for new systems, equipment
installations, or change to existing ones.
- Builds and maintains relationships with key vendors for development, enhancement and
upgrade solutions. Manages these vendors in troubleshooting situations.
- Negotiates pricing, terms/conditions and technical requirements with vendors.
- Provides solutions to IT audit requirements, including compliance with SAS-70 certification.
- Supports MERS data center and infrastructure 24x7 as needed.
- Manages and maintain Windows 2008 R2 stand-alone, virtual and cluster servers.
- Manages and maintain Windows 2008 R2 Active Directory domain.
- Manages Cisco ASA firewall configuration and maintenance.
- Manages implementation and maintenance of IDS and IPS solutions.
- Manages VDI configuration and maintenance.
- Manages VPN configuration and maintenance
- Manages LAN/WAN performance and security.
- Managers Cyber-Security Administration tools including but not limited to the following:
o Barracuda Application Firewall
o Solarwinds Monitoring
o Solarwinds Log and Event Manager
o Silver Peak Appliance for WAN Optimization
o Kemp Technologies LoadMaster
- Works independently, prioritizes assignments and meets deadlines
- Identifies new innovations for improving MERS technology and business services
- Ensures data and system security is considered and architected in all application solutions
- Prepares technical design documentation as needed for general reference, training, RFPs,
contracts, etc. as needed
- Provides strategic, expert advice and consultation on the design and implementation of
effective administrative and business processes, to include process analysis, redesign,
re-engineering, and organizational effectiveness
- Provides backup support to Server, Network and Telecommunications Engineers supporting
Major duties and responsibilities are listed above. This list indicates the kinds of work the person does, but in no way limits or modifies a supervisor’s right to change jobs or assign additional or different work to employees.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, such as, IT Security, Computer Science, Management
Information Systems etc.required
- MCITP or similar certification required
- IT Security certification required
- Three or more years of direct experience in designing and maintaining IT Security solutions
including implementation, configuration and management of IT security tools such as
Intrusion Detection, Intrusion Prevention systems, etc. required.
- There or more years of direct hands-on experience working within a data center and network
infrastructure team including Ethernet networks with technologies such as gigabit copper
and fiber, TCP/IP, VPN and Firewalls, Windows Server OS upgrades, etc. required
- Experience with VMware, VDI and related products preferred
- Experience with Fatpipe products preferred
- Experience with SAS-70 certification preferred
- Experience with NIST, PCI or other similar IT operations blueprints preferred
- Experience working in the pension related industry preferred
- ITIL Foundations certification and practices experience preferred
- Strong technical background skills in supporting IT infrastructure-related projects that involve
networks, Microsoft server platforms, clustering and replication services
- Knowledge of CISCO Unified Communications
- Knowledge of IBM FileNet, , Microsoft Dynamics CRM and Great Plains Accounting
- Strong knowledge of Windows 7, Windows Server 2003, and Windows 2008 (R2) Standard
and Enterprise Editions
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Exchange Server 2007/2010 administration
- Must have Windows Server 2008 Active Directory system administration skills
- Ability to make strong decisions is required
- Must have superior verbal and written communication skills. Strong interpersonal skills and
ability to deal effectively in a team environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform successfully the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand;
walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands
and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities
required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth
perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is not exposed to weather conditions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate