Municipality of Anchorage Employee Reviews

Na
Recreation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJuly 21, 2016
Not the type of job I was looking for. Temporarily good fit. Overall, a lot of places for improvements. Interesting situations and community events.
I was just a temp, but it paid well
Temporary Position (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKDecember 8, 2015
I was a temporary for the Municipality of Anchorage. I felt like the compensation was fair and they were very flexible with my schedule. I cannot talk about what I did, but I liked that my manager trusted me and valued my opinion. Parking is awful unless you get permission to park in Muni parking lot.
Pros
Great compensation and managers that listen.
Cons
Bad parking, position only temporary.
Great place to work at.
Anchorage Police Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKSeptember 26, 2015
Coworkers were all pleasant and helpful to work with. The Sgt in charge was superb. The equipment was exceptional. It was a VERY professional environment. In an emergency situation it was clear that everyone in the room new their job well and were all team players. It was mandatory that every employee belonged to the union. It was a very strong union.
Pros
Supervisors made you feel they were there to help you and assist you.
Cons
Lots of mandatory overtime including 12 hour shifts on your day off.
Not the best employer
Employee Relations (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKAugust 21, 2015
Depending on where you work for the Muni or what department, ones experience will be different. I worked at City Hall and oh boy did I not enjoy it. Extremely political, department heads don't get a long. There is no clear or open communication which makes it hard for staff to work. A lot of unanswered questions "need to know basis" which makes it difficult for staff to perform with half information. Computer systems are outdated therefore entries are made multiple times by different people and adjustments are made manually resulting in a lot of errors.
Pros
You work 8-5 not a minute longer.
Cons
They don't even provide you with filtered water. Who wants to drink water from rusty old pipes.
Great Team work by all involved.
Precinct Registrar Worker (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJuly 14, 2015
Everyone does their best to get the process of voting to go smoothly; and tries to all work together for a great day of assisting voters with their voting process.
Pros
Meeting people; people in our District sees us working each year.
Cons
Long day; long hour sitting; need to get up and pick up garbage or something.
Recruited over 700 elections workers and 122 pollinhg places
Elections Recruiter (Former Employee) –  632 W 6th Ave, Anchorage AlaskaJune 8, 2015
My job was to recruit and hire over 700 election workers for the Municipality of Anchorage elections. I also contracted with 122 precinct polling places. Another facet of my job was to send recruitment letters indicating the available training times. All workers were to call me and schedule. If I didn't hear from someone I was tasked with calling and scheduling them. I also scheduled all the precinct Chairs for their supply pick up times.

The hardest part of the job was doing all these tasks simultaneously, both on the phone and in person. Them most enjoyable part of the job was working with all the different people and seeing to their individual needs as well as that of their precinct.
Pros
Busy all day every day.
Cons
Having to call and get things scheduled such as training and pick-up.
Enjoyed all all aspects of my job...
Sports Programs Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKApril 24, 2015
Great place to work, relished the interaction of not only athletes, competitors, users and fellow employees. Job was eventually outsourced to private groups to help save the municipality budget.
Great Job for Summer
Gardener I (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKApril 16, 2015
The Municipality of Anchorage Parks and Recreation Department took very good care of their Employees, worked 4 days for 10 hours giving us 3 day weekends during the Summer. Hard working and great Crew Leaders whom knew not only the job but the Plants being worked with, ones not being worked with and even showed invasive species and sicknesses. Early mornings woke you up and got you moving and once the flowers were in the Municipal Beds, the only sad part of the job is the Season isn't as long as one would hope.
Pros
BBQ, cool crews, 10hr shifts, 3 day weekends
Cons
Season wasn't very long, ground freezing or early Autumns
Great
Clerk (Former Employee) –  AnchorageMarch 23, 2015
Lots of word processing, filing, engagement with public and other employees. Training in general govt was hard to get, due to available funds. Awesome benefits.
Enjoyable workplace.
Payroll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKSeptember 19, 2014
I worked in an office environment but always felt like I contributed to the whole picture and not just another pencil-pusher. My coworkers were also friends and we usually had a lot of fun at work and out of the office. The hardest part of the job was the feeling that the work was never finished... by the time we were done with one pay period, another was upon us. The best part of this job was working with my friends and being productive.
Pros
Great environment and team relationship
Cons
No feeling of a finished job. Never-ending repitition.
Good place to work. Nice co-workers
Equipment Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMay 1, 2014
Morning group meetings just to say hello to everyone coming off long weekend. Co-workers had good working attitudes. Everyone looked out for each other. Hard part of day was dealing with inclement weather conditions. Had great get togethers.
good
Cons
Long work hours some times
Dynamic organization that serves the people of Anchorage Bourrough with support services
Employment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKSeptember 25, 2013
The majority of my day was on the computer in People Soft screening applications. Forwarded selected candidates to Department Managers for review and interview. Accomplished hires (notification, hire paper work, gathered credentials, arranged in-processing).

Having just left the Air Force I learned the civilian staffing process and governing regulations and Federal and state laws.

The hardest part of the job was being on the computer almost the entire day rather than interfacing more in person with candidates.

The most enjoyable part of the job was to selecting great employees and seeing them so happy to have landed a good job.
Pros
Putting people in great careers.
Cons
Too much computer work. It became almost like a data entry position.
Good Benefits
Dept. of Child Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AlaskaApril 29, 2013
Fun to work, co-workers are nice.
Fast-paced, Chanllenging, Multi-National
Nice office
Pros
9/80's
Cons
Difficult to advance in the department
Non-productive, Not Public Health
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AlaskaApril 16, 2013
negative enviroment, no support for your license, no raises,
Pros
location
Cons
poor work enviroment
Working for People Mover was a very rewarding job.
Transit Operator (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKFebruary 10, 2013
A typical day as a People Mover bus driver started by acquiring
any important information affecting my driving duties such as
detours, accident, or police/troopers alerts.

After performing a ten-minute pre-trip inspection. I'd drive the
bus to one of several locations to start my shift transporting
customers to and from downtown on several fixed routes throughout
Anchorage.

In addition to learning the technical aspects of becoming a better
driver, I learned the art of better customer service.

The management at People Mover, wheather in operations,
customer service, or maintenance were all top notch. They were
the right people in the right place at the right time.

Working with others who enjoyed serving the public was nice.
Pros
the most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that i was helping people by serving them.
Cons
the hardest part was dealing with customers determined to ruin my day.
Productive and rewarding
Legislative Aide (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJanuary 28, 2013
A typical day:

-Relaying constituent concerns
-Research
-Public speaking
great job
Parks Caretaker (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJanuary 27, 2013
good job, 10 hour days 3 days off. good schedule. nice co workers. working outside is amazing.
Could improve
Senior Patrol Officer (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKAugust 14, 2012
Investigate and document incidents around he community that may require legal action. Respond to calls for service and assist community members that may be in crisis or require assistance. Being able to help and leave citizens with a desirable outcome is most rewarding.
Pros
health benefits
Cons
no promotional opportunities
Review
Records Supervisor (Current Employee) –  United StatesAugust 7, 2012
Anchorage is a great city to live and work if you love the outdoors and record snowfalls. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people here who I work with.