Munson Healthcare Employee Reviews

Ok place to work
Technologist (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIAugust 8, 2017
The facility for the most part has a good reputation with the community. Most of the clinical staff does an exceptional job and have positive relationships with their patients. On the clerical and management side incompetence seem to be rewarded while going the extra mile is frequently ignored. The most enjoyable part of the job, hands down, is dealing with and helping the public.
workplace culture
RN (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIAugust 1, 2017
The newer administration is controlling and not respectful to current employees. Current nursing leadership is the reason why so many nurses want a union. Very upsetting that practices and other serious issues are brought forth and not dealt with or people ARE punished as a result- even though the company touts that there will be no retaliation. This is false. it's all about getting good scores on Great Place To Work survey's because these leaders will get big bonuses if they reach this goal. The leaders are compensated nicely but front line staff are not.
Employees are concerned that administration bonuses trump safety and worker engagement. Very uncomfortable and retaliatory environment. Managers and directors are non- approachable and give lip service just so you go away. A few young inexperienced leaders who have not been with munson very long have no respect for experienced long standing employees. Only goal of thiers is to move to the top; it is quite obvious. Unfortunately Munson has the monopoly in northern mi. Recommend: Hold managers, directors and administration accountable or redesign the leadership , treat and compensate workers fairly, be more transparent!
Pros
good front line employees
Cons
Administration is very defensive and dictatorial, create hostile environment
Great people to work with and love their mission
IT Project Manager (Current Employee) –  RemoteJuly 31, 2017
I have always loved working for Munson Healthcare. The best place I've ever worked at. I thought the grass was greener on the other side and I left to grow elsewhere, but I came back for the people and the mission driven work.
Nice place for employment
Information Clerk/Patient Registration (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIJuly 20, 2017
Really enjoyed working here, First I worked in the Patient Access area registering patients for the Emergency room. Busy at most times. Then I worked the Information desk, to guide visitors to patient rooms. Verification of insurance information too.
Pros
Nice place to work. satisfied with the work load
Cons
Not much of any cons
X-Ray Technologist (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIJuly 15, 2017
Great place to work. Fast-paced environment. Great staff. Great benefits. State of the art facility. Good management.. Great working environment.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Too far to drive
Horrible advancements
Central Transporter (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIJuly 14, 2017
The job atmosphere is great but the lack of management and the hope of getting advancement in a different position is a joke. They don't really care what you think. You fill out survey's for pretty much no reason.
Pros
Food.
Cons
Management advancement. Pay horrible.
Executive Secretary - Administration/Legal Dept (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIJuly 10, 2017
Challenging job. Great management. Munson provided classes to learn programs you may not be familiar with. Great workplace culture. I learned many skills I did not know when I started.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Stressful at times
look elsewhere
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIJune 26, 2017
Managers are nonexistent. Overworked, underpaid, understaffed. Will allow you to work as many hours as you desire but little to no respect of the concept of personal time.
Cons
no breaks/lunches
Horrible management
Medical Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Grayling, MIJune 14, 2017
Horrible management if you didn't suck up to the boss you were a pile of poo. Office protocols were only followed when management felt like informing. Many good people let go for silly reasons. If you were a friend of the boss you could use your cell phone if not you would get wrote up for answering a text.
Finest organization one could possibly work for.
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIJune 14, 2017
Munson is the epitome of a quality organization with local governance and management committed and responsive to the healthcare needs of the community

Want to know more about Munson Healthcare?

Ask a question
Fun place to work
25 to current Patient Transporter (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIMay 30, 2017
Great place to work family owned business, extremely friendly you get lunch and breaks everyday, they let you do a little bit of everything, if you love working out side it a great place to work
View of the bay is half the pay
Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIMay 29, 2017
Hospital is actually not a bad place to work, but upper management does not appreciate their employees and the pay is WAY Too low. No way to increase pay from the start out of $18 hr. You get maybe, not always, 2% pay raise a year. someone with 5 years invested fresh out of school will only make about 1.25 more than someone just graduated. No way to scale up and nursing bottom continues to get all the wage increases, as they are under payed as well. Munson wants to treat themselves like a small hospital, but currently has more than 400 beds with expansion in mind.

FYI for those out of the area. Cost of living is extremely high and affordable housing is a good 45 minutes outside the city. With the winters as rough as they are that commute can double at times.
Pros
Beautiful area and good coworkers
Cons
Management and pay
Autonomous, High Demands, expectation to work overtime without pay
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIMay 13, 2017
salaried position, Nurse Case Management
Autonomous, High Demands, expectation to work overtime without pay.Little say in implementing change. Workin every 3rd weekend and on call coverage
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIMay 9, 2017
As a nurse aide at Munson I really enjoyed my experience there and I learned a lot. It has it's issues just like any place of work. They over use sitter needs, many places are understaffed/under-stocked, etc. But overall I liked almost everyone I worked with and I would recommend this position to anybody who wants to get their foot in the door of healthcare .
Great Teamwork, Great Facility!
Registered Nurse on Medical Floor (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIApril 30, 2017
After starting my career as an RN here, I met some great people. Everyone is always willing to help when it's needed and you never feel like you're drowning. Not only that, but your managers also give out tons of moral boosters and make you feel like family. It truly is a great facility.
Good challenging atmosphere
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIApril 28, 2017
They are very professional good to work for. Help you out nice parties. Good for moral. They have the best heart department in the country.

Training on the job for lots of low position like environmental services.
Phlabotomy.
Pros
Good training
Cons
Point system for absences couldn't keep my position for fmla housekeeping thats pretty bad
Workplace had become very hostile and stressful. Coordinator very young and inexperienced.
Staff Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Suttone BayApril 27, 2017
I love the practice of pharmacy, but the management in which Munson functions under is extremely poor. They hire many younger professionals, throw them into the management positions with no prior mentoring with the thought of letting the older professionals go. It is very clear that this is the strategy. It becomes very stressful. The coordinator had very little Interaction with the customers when we were both there; I would rarely take a lunch break. He would often leave early, regardless of how busy it was. Any type of mistake was always put on me.
Excellent hospital providing top quality care
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIApril 8, 2017
Magnet Nurse hospital
many job opportunities
Focus on patient safety and engaged employees
Working towards a LEAN philosophy
High level of clinical expertise
Munson RN
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIApril 3, 2017
I've worked for Munson for over 10 years. Location is beautiful in Traverse City, MI. However the pay is much lower by states averages. Also management is extremely top heavy.
Pros
Beautiful Area
Cons
lower then average pay, top heavy management
fast-paced environment of constant change and restructuring
Office Coordinator-Grayling Physician Network (Current Employee) –  Grayling, MIApril 1, 2017
The typical day is filled with a variety of employee, physician and administrator needs and interruptions, and attention to arising issues in several specialties and clinics. Have to be able to fly by the seat of your pants and figure out things on your own to assist in resolving dailty issues, as well as keep pace with the routine necessities.

Enjoyed project management part of job even with very little information or background on a given topic. Creating processes that coordinate several departments for fluidity and success, was rewarding.

Taking care of people's needs and making their jobs easier, was my main focus and reward.
Pros
Freedom to perform my job
Cons
Constant availability; nights, weekends, vacation-time. Minimal down-time.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Munson Healthcare. Our community is ready to answer.

Munson Healthcare Reviews by Location