Murphy Oil Corporation

Murphy Oil Corporation Employee Reviews

Developing Company
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 15, 2016
A company that is reimagining itself. I'm the near future I believe that it will once again be a great company to work for. But right now corporate cut back payroll hours until the store can barely function. Personally, as assistant store manager I have done my best to support the district and store managers but now it's time to move on.
Pros
Good managenent
Cons
No meal breaks, alone running store for 6-14 hrs at a time, no payroll hours, difficult corporate, etc.
Very hard work for very little pay
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNNovember 14, 2016
Murphy oil offers good pay to district managers and above. Unfortunately general managers, assistant managers, and crew members get the short end of the stick. The company is set up to make very gas station self sufficient. I work in a small building with two other female managers and we were required to fix/change/replace doors, locking systems, fuel filters, fuel hoses, signage, the pumps themselves and it made for very little time to take care of customers sales and day to day duties. I loved being a large part of the community though, you learn everyones name in the general area that frequents the store and its very tight knit, almost mom and pop- ish. I wouldnt work their again, but it offered good experience.
Ok
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lehigh Acres, FLNovember 13, 2016
Its OK if you can stand in a cubicle all day serving customers gas . I Actually Met Alotta People While Working There . and it taught me a lot about customer service
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Had fun learning new customers
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Baytown, TXNovember 6, 2016
Working for Murphy's in the Summers were a great opportunity for me to learn many things. A work day there was some what complex you have to be a go getting person. Leave the emotions at home. Learned how to work the lottery machine, learned about the product also how to be more ethical. At the time my manager where a nice lady and always fair with all of us. The most hardest part was people driving off with the gas.
Good Company to work with
Manager (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 30, 2016
Great company to work for a Typical day at work is great Learned how to deal with the public and working with other I have learned how to fine tune my management skill
its a fun friendly environment
cashier (Former Employee) –  Monroe, LAOctober 15, 2016
I enjoyed working for the company. They start you off with $8.00 per hour then you get a 0.25 cents raise if you be with them for 30 day then 120 day u get another raise so working for them was a good experience for me
It's an income
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALOctober 13, 2016
Ringing up customers, must have knowledge of products. Customers become livid over trivial things. For example, their brand of cigarettes are recently sold out and they can not wait until the following morning to purchase them. Management looks at employees to avoid drive offs, but doesn't want employees to stop the pumps. They continue to make the pumps post pay and scolds employees for having a drive off.
Required work is not equal to pay. You are required to close by yourself; didn't start off closing by myself. There use to be two associates and always a manager for every shift. Unfortunately, things were changed. It wasn't for the better.
Cons
No discounts, no breaks, rude customers, no benefits
Nice Place to Work
SR. Revenue Accountant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 6, 2016
Nice place to work. Typical day at work was working hard on all issues. I thought myself the Murphy way with any help so be prepared to be learn on your own.
Pros
Half Day of Fridays
Cons
You dont get to use them
Move up quick to a certain extent then your stuck
Asst. Manager (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, ALOctober 4, 2016
Started off great. Got a raise every month and advanced to asst manager in 6 months. Now its like a rut. No more raises, no good cashiers so you wind up doing all the work. Messy environment where no one wants to take orders or do their part and new division manager who cares nothing about his employees. You will never get 40 hours although you were promised before you start. Only person who gets it is store manager. Most customers are rude but you do get some that make your day.
Pros
Meet different people daily, flexible schedule
Cons
No breaks, work alone, always on call, no life outside of work, no discounts, always being called in
No benefits
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Bemidji, MN 56601September 12, 2016
Cashiers are not able to be full time, and cannot receive benefits. Always work alone, low pay. No breaks. Hardest part of the job is getting in the cooler to stock the drinks. Best part is meeting the customers.
Cons
work alone
Busy
Salesman (Current Employee) –  Warrensburg, MOSeptember 8, 2016
Customers are great hours ain't bad no insurance unless you are in a management position which stinks there is no balance in work and personal life job is not for everyone
good review
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Biloxi, MSSeptember 6, 2016
Managing other employees, ordering needed goods , inventory of all products, daily deposits. I learned a lot such as my management skills how to do daily deposits
Pros
interacting wih customers
Cons
safety
Good for something temporary
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Liberty, TXSeptember 5, 2016
The manager made it clear when I asked if I worked there long enough if there was a chance of moving up
The current embloyees are useless minus a few of them the manager is bipolar so be prepared to get yelled at for things other people did wrong even if you were off that day
Pros
The pay is on time
Cons
Manager is bipolar half the people there do not do their job
Great company to work for..
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Morristown, TNSeptember 2, 2016
Love the people i work with.. Makes going to work even more fun.. Plenty of room to move up in company.. Love the fast pace..
Pros
Contest
Cons
Healthcare
Energetic and fun place
SAP - Functional Analyst - PRA/JVA/FI (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 30, 2016
A fun place with high integrity and respect to each other.
Employees are dedicated and committed to their work. They are always willing to share the work of other colleague in case of an emergency
Worst company to work for, period.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Lexington, SCAugust 29, 2016
This is the absolute worst company to work for. I was hired as an assistant and the schedule is up and down so therefore you have no life. The management is lazy and you do their job while they sit in the office. Go to the upper management and it gets swept under the rug. I literally have pictures of the filth and mold on the icee Machines where they never clean them. I've never worked for such a horrible company.
Pros
None at all
Cons
Everything about this company
Customer oriented
Certified Training Manager (Former Employee) –  ArkansasAugust 29, 2016
Employed there for over 13 years. Started out being very good job. In my case ended up traveling and being away from home more than 50 percent of time. They paid very well. If not for all the traveling would still be there. Company has went through many changes in my time there. But would still say that it is one of the better convenience stores to work at. My time there extra layers of management were added. Constantly changing district managers. I had 8 in my time there. Good place to work as Management or cashier. Just stay away from being a training manager unless you want to travel extensively.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Travel
decent pay no hours unfair one man show
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Lewisburg, TNAugust 28, 2016
Pay is ok.but hours are not enough to add up to a decent size pay check. Favortisum is a huge problem at the lewisburg location. No breaks no lunches. One man show when you are there working.are repeativaly told to things that managment would never do. Used and abused
Pros
great at working with schedules
Cons
no hours and favortisium
low rated place with many homeless on apalachee pkwy
Closing Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLAugust 26, 2016
over crowded. things worn out or falling apart
high turn over rate
doors do not lock properly
machines and coolers in disrepair
homeless live by and made it hard to keep things clean
run down location
upper management never stopped by
outdated cigarettes
a hassle to use bathroom that was unable to lock to
prevent occupancy of dirty homeless

this place is a rat hole and company doesn't or has not since I was let go ever upgraded anything
Pros
lots of business
Cons
homeless consistantly bothering customers
Great Opportunity!
Invoice Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 15, 2016
I learned a lot at Murphy Oil Corporation. My co-workers were very helpful and nice people. The hardest part of the job was the workload, almost all of 9 hr day shift was spent sitting and performing tasks. The most enjoyable part of the job was resolving problems, been good at what one does.

2.9