Murphy Oil Corporation Employee Reviews in United States

low rated place with many homeless on apalachee pkwy
Closing Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLAugust 26, 2016
over crowded. things worn out or falling apart
high turn over rate
doors do not lock properly
machines and coolers in disrepair
homeless live by and made it hard to keep things clean
run down location
upper management never stopped by
outdated cigarettes
a hassle to use bathroom that was unable to lock to
prevent occupancy of dirty homeless

this place is a rat hole and company doesn't or has not since I was let go ever upgraded anything
Pros
lots of business
Cons
homeless consistantly bothering customers
Great Opportunity!
Invoice Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 15, 2016
I learned a lot at Murphy Oil Corporation. My co-workers were very helpful and nice people. The hardest part of the job was the workload, almost all of 9 hr day shift was spent sitting and performing tasks. The most enjoyable part of the job was resolving problems, been good at what one does.
Murphy Oil Company
Internet Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Haines City, FLAugust 14, 2016
This company cut pay, doesn't give seasoned employees advancement in the company, high turn over rate, long hours, low pay

This company does train you and the trainer is very knowledgeable of his training curriculum.
Pros
Cons
Long Hours Low Pay
Awful place to work!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Whitehall, OHAugust 12, 2016
The Whitehall, Ohio location is terrible! Management doesn't care about how many hours you can work. Signed up for part time, was scheduled full time every week. Management refused to let me have any holidays off, even when I said I couldn't work, because management wanted that holiday off. Management installed microphones and cameras and used them to listen in on employees...would receive a phone call about talking behind the register. The bathroom is outside and you have to walk around a dark building at night to get to it. Customers don't need a key for the restroom, so it is always trashed. People did illegal activity in the restroom. Toilet was clogged almost every day. One time, someone emptied a litter box into the toilet, I was on an 8 hour shift and was told to relieve myself in a bucket in the supply closet during my shift because they couldn't get a plumber there until the next day. Management installed awful door alarms that went off every time someone opened the door. The sound was deafening and annoying...the customers even complained. Management left all duties to employees and spent most of their time away from the store. Don't work here even if it's the last job on earth!
If you want your life to be JUST Murphy, then apply
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Russellville, ALAugust 9, 2016
Turnover rate for cashiers is horrible. They are underpaid for what is required of them. Being the Store Manager, I was constanly on the register. The DM took the chair we had and said there is no sitting and you would have to hunch over or sit on your knees to do schedules, reports. . The DM demands all these things done, but does not give the time and if you do something wrong or not to their standards, they will yell and degrade you on the phone. And the emails you receive are just as insulting. When you are graded,which will determine your raise, the DM will give bad scoring and will tell you this will effect your raise and forgets what it is like to run a store. They do not care about your crew, family life, being sick.
The worse place to be at .. Your job is constantly threatened. As a Store Manager you make good money, but being threatened you never know if you'll have a job. Otherwise don't go buy nice things because you might not have a job to afford them.
The DM makes people feel worthless and I swear she does it in purpose.
This job will change a person. It is so stressful!!!! Save yourself the pain and don't do it. Unless you want to work 50 hours a week, on your feet the whole time, never having help, still getting calls from employees and DM even when you're off, oh and only getting paid for 80 hours instead of the 100 you're required to work!!
Pros
Customers
Cons
DM, upper management does not care, overturn, no help to get duties done
Nice place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAAugust 8, 2016
This is nice company to work for, but the pay is not good. The manager is nice and flexible. I enjoyed working for this company.
Pros
Friendly, flexible, and room for growth
Cons
NO breaks and bad pay
Great colleagues and work environment
Deepwater Drilling Supervisor (Former Employee) –  MalaysiaJuly 28, 2016
Develop 24 slot Dry Tree Unit Spar
Drill & Complete with Tender Assist Drilling Unit.
Drill from spud to TD, horizontal & highly deviated wells
Drilling fluids consist of LTOBM, Warp w/ PST, Completions brines.
Used Manage Pressure drilling equipment in 3rd phase of development.
Install drilling riser and all production risers w/ drilling & production tensioners
Assistant Manager
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Brownwood, TXJuly 20, 2016
I got hired in as Assistant Manager. I loved this job the hours i worked were a little rough at the time but i managed just fine. I got terminated at this job because I had a shortage and it was on a gas drive off. but other than that i really did like the job. I was a supervisor I was also a cashier I maintained the store and did the paper work. Most important was customer service.
Murphy Oil Corporation good company to work for
Senior Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  El Dorado, ARJuly 13, 2016
balance load of work volume
company pay good for training
management good
co-workers are great
job slow growing
fun to support many different teams
A drag of a place to work. Everyday is the same.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 11, 2016
My experience working here was frustrating. The store I was hired at has a continuous problem keeping its employees, managers and cashiers. My first few months there was horrible: the stockroom a mess to the point we did not know where anything was or what we had in stock. Also, the only manger they had at this store was the assistant that was completely careless and barely worked. We had to keep bringing in other managers from surrounding stores to fill in and they were sometimes mean and rude, which is why I'm no longer employed here. The pay is low but they expect a lot from its employees.
Pros
Meeting and forming relationships with customers.
Cons
low pay, terrible policies, and no perks!
Modern day slavery!
System Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 4, 2016
I have about 19 years of experience in the Oil & Gas Industry. I happened to work for this company in the Houston corporate office as a System Analyst for about one year. So far this was my worst experience in my professional career.

Although it is a public company, it is still managed as a family owned business. Managers do their best to squeeze the blood and sweat out of employees. I had about 4 weeks of vacation in my employment contract. I was only allowed to take one week in the year 2015 with no compensation for my unpaid vacation. Work hours extend to nights regularly and most of the weekends. Managers use you as a slave resource and have no respect of your private time. This not limited to few managers, but a company wide culture.

There is zero scope of learning an advancing in your career, as you are expected to do your job without asking any questions. Senior managers are not knowledgeable and play lots of politics at an expense of employees personal time.They will never give credit for your good work but focus on projecting everything good as their own idea but everything bad as the fault of lower employees.

Murphy is all about getting more out employees for less. Run and don't walk if you are thinking of applying a position for this company. I resigned finally as I was able to find a new job as I was waiting to get out of this place.
Pros
Cons
Long working hours without any compensation, No chance of upward movement.
Company sucks
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Rogers, ARJune 28, 2016
Get thrown on a shift alone after 6 hours of training manager and assistant manager not wanting to cover for off shifts if someone had an emergency make one mistake and all of the sudden the male chovanist upper managers suddenly take an interest in you a whole crew of back stabbing people very bad management one of the worst jobs I've ever had
Pros
One free drink per shift
Cons
Bad bad management
It sucks
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Orange Park, FLJune 24, 2016
Everything sucks manger always have an attitude and is always late no hours and workers work too hard for little pay customers are very friendly and so is your co workers they make you feel at home and always brightens your day prices are awesome
Low pay for ALL the work they want you to do
Cashier and promoted to Assistant manager (Former Employee) –  LouisianaJune 17, 2016
They don't believe in paying their cashiers with all the money they make. Most of their locations are busy due to them selling cheap gas, so you won't be able to eat or barely use the bathroom. They want u to do all this work In between customers and don't want to pay u enough for your hard work. You will not get more than 25 hours unless u are management cause they don't won't to pay insurance or u to get benefits. So therefore it seems like you're working for little or nothing. The inside of the kiosk building is little & be HOT in the summer. They have no choice but to be flexible with your job since u only get 20-25 hours a week. Manager was lazy and they hire ANYBODY! I can say that u can move up quickly if somebody quit. But you better be willing to open the store at 5am in the morning and stay over and work if somebody calls in Cause they don't care how long you been at work, they won't they store open 365 days a week until closing time (which they close late). Can't get over 40 hours if you're an Assistant manager or cashier. They DO NOT believe in overtime. The store manager will have to work it or switch the schedule around so that NOBODY can go over their time if they're short handed. This job is for someone who has no major responsibilities unless you're a store manager & wouldn't mind being on-call if somebody calls in cause believe me, they will.
Pros
Direct deposit
Cons
Low pay, no breaks, no benefits, close too late, open too early (5am), high turnover rate
They suck
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Delray Beach, FLJune 15, 2016
Manager and main boss are freaking insane they just use any and every thing wrong to pin on new employees to save their own job. Worst place to work for. Save your self.
Depends on you...
Assistant Manager/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hernando, MSJune 8, 2016
Murphy can be a demanding job that isn't for everyone. I enjoyed this job. I've had many customer service jobs. It can be a physically demanding job but not in an unreasonable way. The customers are usually awesome and very loyal which helps more than you know. Yes you will have to change trash, fix printers, stock EVERYTHING, and deal with customers, which isn't always the easiest thing to do. Murphy is a good company with room for advancement. You earn what you work for. If you're a whiner or complainer and feel so entitled that you can't do simple tasks like changing trash or cleaning a bathroom then this job isn't for you.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Working outside in all types of weather
Great Place to Start Your Career
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  GAJune 3, 2016
Good and Bad things in every job. Management at Murphy will require a tremendous amount of energy and time, quite often to the detriment of your personal life. Great place to gain skills and experience that will be helpful to you down the road.
Pros
Plenty of opportunity to learn and grow
Cons
Your life belongs to your store. I was on vacation 1000 miles away and getting calls from my DM.
i loved it
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Central, LAMay 31, 2016
they work with your schedule, the managers are friendly. working there for a year some could possible earn the managers position.
Stay away!!
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Pinellas Park, FLMay 29, 2016
I loved working there great hour but no breaks quit because manager was to worried about her daughter's prom she forced me to work when I had been throwing up in front of customers the night before and she knew I had been sick all I got back was I hope you feel better. Management is lazy needs new one right away
Cons
no breaks work by yourself in a box
Great Company but to driven by stock holders
Plant Manager (Former Employee) –  Hankinson, NDMay 26, 2016
Great independence in your work activities.
Resource rich for the right things.
Tough safety directives.
Management Changes can happen very past.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
corporate change

2.9