Murphy Oil Corporation

Murphy Oil Corporation Employee Reviews

What the place was about.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Martinsville, INJuly 25, 2015
Pros: Could smoke anytime, the customers
Cons: Always one person at the store
There was nothing wrong with working there. Unless you are a female. I was working for the place for a year and I got skipped to be Store Manger with the other Asst. Manager that was there only for a couple of months.
fun loving environment
Manager (Former Employee), thomaston gaJuly 23, 2015
this was a great company to work for, customers always first priority,maintain a high volume store ,work quickly ,kept accurate counts
Manager (Former Employee), New Braunfels, TXJuly 23, 2015
Paid good for working a lot of hours and putting in a lot of work. Great benefits and for the most part good upper management.
Not A Good Place
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Zanesville, OHJuly 16, 2015
Pros: Pay
Cons: Almost Everything Else
It took a whole month before i got my first pay check. You dont get breaks and they expect you to NOT eat for an 8 hour shift. Their was never a set schedule, you played it by hear and hoped you weren't doing something important when they call out of the blue and say they need you. the pay was okay but not worth the stress. The whole store would shut down at random times and when i would call the manager on my cell she would tell me it was her day off and not to bother her so i would be left with a lot of angry people on my hands. And you work alone at night,
murphy usa
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Current Employee), floridaJuly 12, 2015
Its a great workplace, great customers, and great employees.
the hardest part of the job is putting the large pole signs up that the companie makes the employees put up.

the most enjoyable part of the job is the various customers you meet throughout your shift.
N/A
Operationa Accounting - Merchandise AP (Former Employee), El Dorado, ARJuly 9, 2015
Loved the type work I did but new sites were opened no new employees were added and it was tough and almost impossible to complete my job duties correctly in the time allotted.
Long hours, working alone with no breaks.
Manager (Former Employee), MayodanJuly 9, 2015
Pros: Customer interaction
Cons: Long hours alone. Working in freezing temperatures.
I worked as a manager for over 8 years. 7 was good. It was Murphy Oil. Then they spun off into Murphy USA. After that it was as if nothing was good enough. We had always hired for 40 hours a week, then policy changed to part time employees only. 100 hours a month only. It was a task to stay staffed. No one except management received benefits any longer. A 50 hour work week became a 70 hour work week for most managers. The pay was excellent for management, but the strain on the body was not worth it . I was salary and my employees actually made more than me per hour due to long hours worked. Upper management changed and in our district alone, 6 long term managers resigned in the first 6 months due to working conditions.
A fun place and great environment.
Store Manager (Former Employee), Louisville, KYJuly 8, 2015
Pros: Free occassional lunches, monthly bonuses.
Cons: Not the best healthcare available.
A great job that pays very well. The owners are awesome and caring. Job advancement is there. The employees are energetic and happy. The customers are easy to get along with and always make you feel special afterword.
Good work environment
Cashier (Current Employee), Schertz, TXJuly 7, 2015
Pros: Easy going environment
Cons: People taking advantage of the laid back mood
I show up to close down the store for the night. I learned the procedure for closing and what to be aware of in the oil companies because it dictates the prices. My co-workers are fun, but some are lazy, which makes it hard. For example we get our truck and if I'm not there working a mid shift the cigarettes won't get put up, and that takes away from me doing my other duties during my shift. The most enjoyable part is when the team meets sales goals.
A day at Murphy Usa
Cashier (Former Employee), Levelland, TXJuly 2, 2015
Pros: Small kiosk (No big store), Your break is when you don't have customers or anything to do, decent work hours
Cons: No guaranteed breaks, No help (No second person, at the store, to help you out), Non pre-paid pumps (which can result in drive-offs), Having to put up supplies from the truck, while still running the register
A typical day at Murphy's usually included a lot of cash handling, providing excellent customer service, stocking and cleaning of the facility. While working there I learned that patience is key. Various and sometimes very overwhelming circumstances arose and being the only person there in the kiosk and having no one else to turn to in your time of need was a bit challenging, at times, but if you learned to have great patience and the will to see out any problem, then that only made you a better and smarter worker. Management for us, at the time when I first was hired was awesome! My co-workers were some of the best people I had a chance to work with. They made work fun and taught me many new things, when it came to the cashier position. I caught on very fast which in return allowed me to start running the store, on my own, in little time. The hardest part of my job would have had to been having to watch 16 pumps, that at the time allowed you to pump, before you payed. On a busy day, such as a Friday night made it quite easy for thieves to perform drive-offs. Not a fun situation to handle, whatsoever. On a better note the most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with the people! The time I worked there allowed me to meet all types of people, which some became regulars and some of the regulars became my friends!
It's decent.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Corpus Christi, TXJune 28, 2015
It's not the ideal job if you have career goals. It is for younger people who are unsure or for people with no career goals yet.
too much work for little money
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 24, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: says there is advancement when really there isn't
as an assistant manager, you're pretty much a cashier with the title of assistant manager. they don't train you for what you need to do. Depending who your manager is they won't help you most of the time, and the labor and work put in is hardly recognized.
COuldn't even handle hiring process
Almost Hired (Former Employee), Hutchinson, MNJune 24, 2015
Pros: I wouldn't know
Cons: Incompetent Person in charge of Hiring Process at Store
I was interviewed and sent an email congratulating me on my offer of employment pending background/drug testing. I went and took my drug test waited a week then called to inquire if they got it back yet. They did not. Another week went by. Called again. They said they couldn't access it and asked me several times for a tracking number. After a few more days I called the testing company who informed me the results had been sent during the first week I had called to inquire about it. They sent it again and told me if the employer did not receive it in an hour to have them call. Did that and called employer to let them know. They said they still didn't get it and asked for the elusive tracking number AGAIN. I gave them every number I had down to the specimen number and all other numbers from the form given at the clinic. I have not heard from them since I gave them that info and it has been another 2 weeks. I live a clean lifestyle and have always passed background checks and drug tests, so I know it is not something I did. If you are applying at Hutchinson, MN don't expect competence. I told this person I had already put in my 2 weeks notice at other job and only had 2 days of it left. They never even bothered to tell me I might not want to leave my old job yet, they just let me end up without a job at all.
I have heard from others that people quit within weeks. I am not surprised.
Learned value of teamwork
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Jonesboro, ARJune 23, 2015
Pros: Fine tuned my cash handling and problem solving skills
Cons: Not enough training for job
I was asked to assume temporary management of store during a time the store manager was on medical leave. The hardest part of this time was the challenge of dealing with other managers. This occurred before I had completed my first 90 days of employment. It was demanding but rose to the challenge even though I did not have all the tools I needed at the time. I enjoyed most of my coworkers but its a transient type of work force. I would still be there but family obligations caused me to relocate.
Stay away.
cashier (Current Employee), localJune 19, 2015
Pros: customer interaction
Cons: no breaks bad management low pay
I should have taken all of the bad reviews into better consideration. I gave the company the benefit of the doubt and maybe my location would be better than theirs. I was very wrong. First day consisted of video testing which were more time consuming than challenging. After that I was sent home and to come in the next day for hands on training. I watched someone run the register for how ever many hours. Within a few days of very poor training I was set to close alone and always work alone. Which normally I wouldn't mind but all the tasks they expect you to preform is way more than just one person. You are not able to give your customers the attention they deserve. There is also no breaks which would be fine cause if you're a cashier you are only allowed to be hired on as part time. But the hours you work are long and just several days out of the week. Management is extremely poor, I've never been treated like a nobody till I started working here. The company is number one in their eyes but when they tell you customers are number one. It's very flip flop, I guess could be the best way to say it. If it's your first job I say go for it till you find something better. It's definitely not a great company to work for in my eyes.
I enjoyed being with the regular customers.
Store Manager (Former Employee), Johnson City, TNJune 18, 2015
Pros: Enjoyed learning everything.
Cons: Corp didn't care about the people out in the work field.
It depends on what day of the week it was that I was really needed. I was able to learn so much over the past 5 years. I was able to go to other store to help clean and reset them. I helped other stores out by getting them staffed. I enjoyed my co-workers. The hardest part of the job was finding really good help for part-time cashiers for under 25 hours per week. People didn't won't to do the work for 25 hours or less a week. Because they had a lot to do on there shifts. I enjoyed my regular customers more than anything. They really made my day when I was able to see them.
An enjoyable but very demanding job.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Quincy, ILJune 17, 2015
Pros: Meeting new people was a pro at my job.
Cons: Being left to do many chores while trying to assist and checkout customers.
I was responsible for counting the deposit, doing the data entry, stocking and cleaning. I liked working with the customers. I learned many things such as entering invoices, managing money and overseeing other employees. The hardest part was working entirely alone.
Over worked and underpaid
Cashier (Former Employee), Delray Beach, FLJune 17, 2015
Put simply, one is expected to work themselves to the brink of insanity while simultaneously being kept comfortably under the poverty line.
In my experience, horrible place to work
Cashier (Former Employee), Reidsville, NCJune 14, 2015
While there is the benefit of flexible scheduling, in my experience, management was atrocious, advancement was slim to none, and they lost an employee out of me.
productive
great corporateon (Former Employee), Meraux, LAJune 12, 2015
Pros: good pay
Cons: contract ended
This job taught me responsibility. As it was one of my first jobs after I graduated high school.
start off the day with assignment from my boss.
hardest part was trying to fit lunch in
Pay check was most enjoyable.

1 2 3 4 5

About Murphy Oil Corporation

Murphy Oil Corporation (Murphy) is a worldwide oil and gas exploration and production company, with refining and marketing operations – Read more

Murphy Oil Corporation Salaries