Murphy Oil Corporation

Murphy Oil Corporation Employee Reviews in United States

It sucks
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Orange Park, FLJune 24, 2016
Everything sucks manger always have an attitude and is always late no hours and workers work too hard for little pay customers are very friendly and so is your co workers they make you feel at home and always brightens your day prices are awesome
Low pay for ALL the work they want you to do
Cashier and promoted to Assistant manager (Former Employee) –  LouisianaJune 17, 2016
They don't believe in paying their cashiers with all the money they make. Most of their locations are busy due to them selling cheap gas, so you won't be able to eat or barely use the bathroom. They want u to do all this work In between customers and don't want to pay u enough for your hard work. You will not get more than 25 hours unless u are management cause they don't won't to pay insurance or u to get benefits. So therefore it seems like you're working for little or nothing. The inside of the kiosk building is little & be HOT in the summer. They have no choice but to be flexible with your job since u only get 20-25 hours a week. Manager was lazy and they hire ANYBODY! I can say that u can move up quickly if somebody quit. But you better be willing to open the store at 5am in the morning and stay over and work if somebody calls in Cause they don't care how long you been at work, they won't they store open 365 days a week until closing time (which they close late). Can't get over 40 hours if you're an Assistant manager or cashier. They DO NOT believe in overtime. The store manager will have to work it or switch the schedule around so that NOBODY can go over their time if they're short handed. This job is for someone who has no major responsibilities unless you're a store manager & wouldn't mind being on-call if somebody calls in cause believe me, they will.
Pros
Direct deposit
Cons
Low pay, no breaks, no benefits, close too late, open too early (5am), high turnover rate
They suck
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Delray Beach, FLJune 15, 2016
Manager and main boss are freaking insane they just use any and every thing wrong to pin on new employees to save their own job. Worst place to work for. Save your self.
Great Place to Start Your Career
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  GAJune 3, 2016
Good and Bad things in every job. Management at Murphy will require a tremendous amount of energy and time, quite often to the detriment of your personal life. Great place to gain skills and experience that will be helpful to you down the road.
Pros
Plenty of opportunity to learn and grow
Cons
Your life belongs to your store. I was on vacation 1000 miles away and getting calls from my DM.
i loved it
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Central, LAMay 31, 2016
they work with your schedule, the managers are friendly. working there for a year some could possible earn the managers position.
Stay away!!
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Pinellas Park, FLMay 29, 2016
I loved working there great hour but no breaks quit because manager was to worried about her daughter's prom she forced me to work when I had been throwing up in front of customers the night before and she knew I had been sick all I got back was I hope you feel better. Management is lazy needs new one right away
Cons
no breaks work by yourself in a box
Great Company but to driven by stock holders
Plant Manager (Former Employee) –  Hankinson, NDMay 26, 2016
Great independence in your work activities.
Resource rich for the right things.
Tough safety directives.
Management Changes can happen very past.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
corporate change
Great People, but not so great atmosphere anymore
ACCOUNTING ASSISTANT C (Former Employee) –  El Dorado, ARMay 26, 2016
Murphy Oil has a history of great jobs and work atmosphere. But in the last few years it has declined. Benefits and extras were cut short or out because of the decline in Oil prices, which is understandable. I had tried to promote within the company twice, but had a supervisor that would not agree to it. By the time Murphy Oil had their first lay off (which I unfortunately was a part of) it was very hard to be excited about going to work. And I loved the people I worked with, but the cut backs and the taking away of incentives made it hard to be excited about working there.
There are still great people there, and I value the time I spent there and the knowledge I gained. If oil prices start going up and Murphy starts hiring again, I would recommend it to friends and family.
great place
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 10, 2016
great place to work at with good staff. easy work with nice pay. gives lots of chances to win other gifts and prizes with contest throughout the company
Poor management, no breaks, long hours, never good enough;
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  OklahomaMay 3, 2016
The store I worked in was a kiosk. I was stuck in there for 6-8 hours alone with no breaks. The manager at this store is the same one they've had for almost a decade. She made rules that apply to everyone but herself. She was constantly talking on her phone or texting or standing around talking to customers/friends outside. She made me do half her job for a fraction of her pay. The management above store managers do not care about you or your well being. All they care about is if you push whatever sale they have going on and if you show up. The only good part about the job is the co workers and regular customers that put a smile on your face.
Pros
Cons
horrible pay and management, long hours
Former tenured employee
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  AlabamaApril 14, 2016
I started off 19 years old as a cashierand worked my way to Assistant Manager 2 years later. I stayed with Murphy USA for 5 years. Your growth depends on if you are liked by management, not your worth.

The job can be stressful, extremely fast paced (in all roles). You need to be able to multi-task.

Cashiers on 3rd shift can expect to spend much of their time alone.

Cashiers on 2nd may spend half the shift alone.

This is a physical job, bending, pulling, lifting, squating 20+lbs of merch sometimes. You are constantly moving. Rarely is there a chance to sit down, or if you smoke, have a smoke break.

If you plan on going to Management levels, you'll need to have your personal life revolve around work. You aren't "off". You may need to handle an issue at the store at anytime.

The pay is horrible for all levels of workers (being in Management, i saw the profits my store and district were making). Very cheap when it comes to compensation.

I left to work for a competitor.
Pros
Fast paced, people interaction
Cons
Poor pay, benefits.
A small E&P company, not well diversified against commodity downturns.
Treasury Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 13, 2016
Unfortunately my time with Murphy took place during a commodity downturn. Otherwise, I could have seen myself finishing my career there.
Pros
great pay with incentives and pension
Cons
small town protectionist thinking
Good company but relocation required for advancement to some.
District Manager (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAApril 8, 2016
District Manager for 1 year in New Orleans area. Company wanted me to move to New Orleans even though I lived an hour away. I was not willing to move due to wife's job and children in high school. Stepped down to store manager.
very fast paced, but yet still informal
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Wharton, TXMarch 31, 2016
Assisting customers with every need and product.
There's no typical day at work, different customers have different needs, every customer can not be handled the same due to interactions with different personalities.
Pros
free snacks
Cons
no breaks at all
Job had long hours which was a struggle as a highschool student
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cabot, ARMarch 29, 2016
Job was a good one for a high school student, the pay was decent and the enviroment was fun at times. Learned a lot on customer service and how to deal with any situations a customer had.
Customer service
Asst. Manager (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXMarch 21, 2016
Typical day at work is cashier. Learned how to count money. Management poor. Co workers horrible. Nothing was hard about the job. Nothing was enjoyable.
experience with customer service and management
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLMarch 1, 2016
It gave me experience with management skills, also boost my customer skill, I enjoyed managing and being over the store when the store managers wasnt working i took charge.
MurphyUSA is A-okay
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXFebruary 21, 2016
It's your typical 9am-5pm job, therefore there's not too much to mention. You can however move up within the company fast with hard work and dedication.
Pros
adjustable hours
Great learning experience!!
Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ALFebruary 17, 2016
Murphy USA was most definitely a great learning experience for me. A typical day at work would take a lot of concentration, consistencies, time management, and multi-tasking. Which I would like to think that helped me master that aspect of the job.
One of the hardest part of the job I would say, would be the time management. That took some figuring out at the beginning, but before I knew it I had it all figured out.
The most enjoyable part, the people. Absolutely love working with the public and getting to see and know regulars customers was a pleasure.
So overall, I would say that Murphy USA was an enjoyable job and a wonderful learning experience.
Pros
Great learning experience.
Cons
N/A
Stressful
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Bremen, GAFebruary 8, 2016
Not a good work/life balance. You have to be available 24/7 365. Hard to make plans. Customers are awful, very rude. Working with very limited labor. Too much to do with very little help/resources from upper management
Pros
Pay
Cons
Work schedule

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Murphy Oil Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.