Murphy Oil Corporation

Murphy Oil Corporation Employee Reviews in United States

great place
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 10, 2016
great place to work at with good staff. easy work with nice pay. gives lots of chances to win other gifts and prizes with contest throughout the company
Poor management, no breaks, long hours, never good enough;
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  OklahomaMay 3, 2016
The store I worked in was a kiosk. I was stuck in there for 6-8 hours alone with no breaks. The manager at this store is the same one they've had for almost a decade. She made rules that apply to everyone but herself. She was constantly talking on her phone or texting or standing around talking to customers/friends outside. She made me do half her job for a fraction of her pay. The management above store managers do not care about you or your well being. All they care about is if you push whatever sale they have going on and if you show up. The only good part about the job is the co workers and regular customers that put a smile on your face.
Pros
Cons
horrible pay and management, long hours
Former tenured employee
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  AlabamaApril 14, 2016
I started off 19 years old as a cashierand worked my way to Assistant Manager 2 years later. I stayed with Murphy USA for 5 years. Your growth depends on if you are liked by management, not your worth.

The job can be stressful, extremely fast paced (in all roles). You need to be able to multi-task.

Cashiers on 3rd shift can expect to spend much of their time alone.

Cashiers on 2nd may spend half the shift alone.

This is a physical job, bending, pulling, lifting, squating 20+lbs of merch sometimes. You are constantly moving. Rarely is there a chance to sit down, or if you smoke, have a smoke break.

If you plan on going to Management levels, you'll need to have your personal life revolve around work. You aren't "off". You may need to handle an issue at the store at anytime.

The pay is horrible for all levels of workers (being in Management, i saw the profits my store and district were making). Very cheap when it comes to compensation.

I left to work for a competitor.
Pros
Fast paced, people interaction
Cons
Poor pay, benefits.
A small E&P company, not well diversified against commodity downturns.
Treasury Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 13, 2016
Unfortunately my time with Murphy took place during a commodity downturn. Otherwise, I could have seen myself finishing my career there.
Pros
great pay with incentives and pension
Cons
small town protectionist thinking
Good company but relocation required for advancement to some.
District Manager (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAApril 8, 2016
District Manager for 1 year in New Orleans area. Company wanted me to move to New Orleans even though I lived an hour away. I was not willing to move due to wife's job and children in high school. Stepped down to store manager.
very fast paced, but yet still informal
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Wharton, TXMarch 31, 2016
Assisting customers with every need and product.
There's no typical day at work, different customers have different needs, every customer can not be handled the same due to interactions with different personalities.
Pros
free snacks
Cons
no breaks at all
Job had long hours which was a struggle as a highschool student
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cabot, ARMarch 29, 2016
Job was a good one for a high school student, the pay was decent and the enviroment was fun at times. Learned a lot on customer service and how to deal with any situations a customer had.
Customer service
Asst. Manager (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXMarch 21, 2016
Typical day at work is cashier. Learned how to count money. Management poor. Co workers horrible. Nothing was hard about the job. Nothing was enjoyable.
experience with customer service and management
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLMarch 1, 2016
It gave me experience with management skills, also boost my customer skill, I enjoyed managing and being over the store when the store managers wasnt working i took charge.
MurphyUSA is A-okay
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXFebruary 21, 2016
It's your typical 9am-5pm job, therefore there's not too much to mention. You can however move up within the company fast with hard work and dedication.
Pros
adjustable hours
Great learning experience!!
Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ALFebruary 17, 2016
Murphy USA was most definitely a great learning experience for me. A typical day at work would take a lot of concentration, consistencies, time management, and multi-tasking. Which I would like to think that helped me master that aspect of the job.
One of the hardest part of the job I would say, would be the time management. That took some figuring out at the beginning, but before I knew it I had it all figured out.
The most enjoyable part, the people. Absolutely love working with the public and getting to see and know regulars customers was a pleasure.
So overall, I would say that Murphy USA was an enjoyable job and a wonderful learning experience.
Pros
Great learning experience.
Cons
N/A
Stressful
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Bremen, GAFebruary 8, 2016
Not a good work/life balance. You have to be available 24/7 365. Hard to make plans. Customers are awful, very rude. Working with very limited labor. Too much to do with very little help/resources from upper management
Pros
Pay
Cons
Work schedule
Great company principals, but need to look into work/family balance
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Brenham, TXFebruary 4, 2016
I enjoyed working there, my co-workers were great, the principals of the company are the same as I believe, and the customers were wonderful. My major complaint is that the balance between work and family is very off balance. I understand working hard, but there needs to be a better balance and support of that from the management.
Pros
employement
Cons
no breaks, short shifts 7 days a week, no insurance unless upper management, no employee discount, heavy responsibility for little pay
No hours, poor management
cashier (Former Employee) –  LincolntonFebruary 2, 2016
Constantly pushing you to sell stupid candy bars or whatever promotion they have at the time. So annoying. Was hired as a full time employee but wasn't allowed over 25 hours. Was expected to drop everything in life to come to work if someone called out or if the manager just up and decided to have a meeting.
Manager got mad at me for not coming to work when I had the flu.
Since it's impossible to work full time it's impossible to get benefits.
Great Company
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Conway, SCJanuary 30, 2016
A typical day at work is going in cashing people out and being polite, cleaning, stocking, talking with customers and making sure that they have everything that they need and that I did my job correctly. The most important part of my job is that I please my customers and make the boss understand that I know how to do my job and if I have any questions or concerns then I ask.
Ok Job
cashier (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MNJanuary 28, 2016
Good place to work and fun co workers but management needs a lot of help. Management is terrible you barely knoiw when your gonna work.
Pros
by yourself
Cons
good pay
Smoooth buisness practices with enjoyable management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bentonville, ARJanuary 18, 2016
A typical day at murphys includes changing printer paper on pumps and registers, cleaning of the restroom and parking lot, stocking of drinks and merchandise, making your cigarette count at the end of each shift, doing your shift report, dealing with customers and trying to make each one leave with a smile on their face, saving of the fuel survey, and doing any extra shift duties left by opening manager.
I learned that the slightest bit of kindness towards your customer or anyone for that matter actually does mean something.
The managers at murphy oil are reasonable understanding and fantastic people.
My co-workers at murphy oil were efficient and everyone pulled their own weight.
The hardest part of the job was unloading the truck and trying to get all my shift duties done by the end of my shift and have the truck completely unloaded and put away.
The most enjoyable part of my job was the customers.
cashier
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCJanuary 10, 2016
cashier job was good lots to do and no stop customers.needs better upper management they like to tell you one thing and go behind your back and do other
Pros
pay is ok
Cons
upper manager is poorly
Rewarding place to work!!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaJanuary 10, 2016
I loved my time with Murphy. They always made me feel like a valued member of the company even being "just' a manager. Love the core values, love the people, loved every thing. They set the bar high.
Pros
Always felt like a valuable member of the team!
Read below PLEASE
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  ArkansasJanuary 4, 2016
I'm currently an assistant manager at one of the stores. I work my butt off and always come in early stay late and come in on my days off when need. Anytime anyone needs me I've answered my phone. I'm a very dependable hard worked yet my boss here lately is always telling me how I don't do my job why do I hate her blah blah blah. It's become to the point I'm willing to go from making almost $11.00 a hour to a two dollar pay cut some where else. I'm tired of getting treated this way. I deserve better. She writes people up when they don't deserve it and has her one favorite employees that never gets wrote up. Even when she does the SAME thing I GET WROTE UP FOR. SMH. Murphy has some pretty screwed up stuff. There is SO MUCH MORE. but I can't sit here and write the book it would take. Hopefully if you do work here you'll get one of the good stores.
Pros
Good pay, great district manager, SOME stores are wonderful
Cons
No breaks, don't care about a lot, to much to put here