Murphy Oil Corporation Employee Reviews

Pays well, but horrible management and unregulated hours
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Fredericktown, MONovember 16, 2017
The company was great to work for. The pay is good. It's not very many hours with working six days a week on average. Management is a joke. You're not well informed of changes and there is virtually no training. The only training I had was two days and only consisted of eight hours of training videos. The professionalism from co-workers is also a joke. They keep poor store managers (at least where I was) just so they don't have to train a new one. Overall I would not suggest this company to anyone. The pay was good and that's about it.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
No lunch breaks, No breaks, Bad Management
the managment was horrible
Assistiant Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 10, 2017
this is not a good company to work for. management was always gone working at other stores but not taking care of his own store. the district manager treated the employees like high school kids. if you were not part of her click you were hardly acknowledged.
Productive fast pace environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Kissimmee, FLNovember 9, 2017
Great Job they Have being there for me so i have being there for them great work place never get bore at work a lot to do every time.
Great people and co workers.
Pros
straight hours
Cons
no lunch time or assigned breaks
Keeps you busy. Work isnt too hard.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Greenville, ALOctober 23, 2017
I enjoyed working at Murphy USA. The managers are very kind, educating and understanding. The pay isn't bad either. The most enjoyable part is working with customers and you're always busy which makes a short day. The job is competitive, but you're awarded for good work.
fun place to work always meeting new people
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Siler City, NCSeptember 29, 2017
fast paced environment, little to no benefits, not a substantial income, expected to sell sell sell with little to no reward, this is a job for someone in college or just out of school still living at home with parents
Pros
free drink bar while on the clock
Cons
short to no breaks no lunches while working
very face paced job and great atmosphere
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Saraland, ALSeptember 17, 2017
I loved my job at Murphy and never had any issues at all with anything. Time always passed by quickly and the job was always easy to have everything completed in a timely manner.
Good pay and benefits
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  El Dorado, ARSeptember 10, 2017
The job paid well and offered good benefits but the corporate office didn't mind throwing management under the bus. The would also find a reason to fire people in order to bring in others at a lower rate of pay
Due to the nature of oporation, lunch breaks were never permitted (meals were eaten outside of scheduled shifts).
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Yukon, OKAugust 29, 2017
Experience with repeat customers was great, managers tending to subordinates needs, exhibiting responsibility of tobacco sales but lack of breaks were only negative side.
Pros
Hours and benefits
Cons
Breaks in between customers
Enjoyed the company pot luck lunch
EMSI Process Plant Technician (Former Employee) –  Chalmette, LAAugust 24, 2017
There was not enough diversity at this job. You had to be one of the guys to get the good shifts. Very few people of color ,very few women.I enjoyed being apart of the bigger picture.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, INAugust 5, 2017
It was an alright environment to work, stayed pretty busy with a diverse customer atmosphere. The manager could use a class or two for constructive criticism.
Great place to work needs more room to grow
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Galveston, TXJuly 31, 2017
I love the rapport that I have built with my customers and familiarity that I have based upon my customers as indiviuals. Work days as in any job can be hectic but to see a happy customer return due to your pleasant attitude and willingness to serve and exceed expectations. I truly enjoy my job but have much desire to move up in the company.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
N/a
High volume sales, fast pace but fulfilling.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 28, 2017
Days were somewhat routine but always expect the unexpected. I learned how to multi-task. Hardest part of job was dealing with theft. People were great !
Pros
Great bonuses
Cons
Dealing with drive-offs.
temp not to hire
Temp Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 19, 2017
Worked as a temp for 2 years - enjoyed working at Murphy and liked management and co-workers. However, HR would not consider me for full time employment.
Very busy store, very fast advancement to those eager to learn
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 13, 2017
I went from cashier to an assistant manager in just 4 months. I had to learn a lot in a very little amount of time, but it was doable. The huge setback for me was the fact that the store was open 24 hours a day, that meant that if there was a problem overnight, or if 3rd shift was late or a no-call/no-show, I had to come in the middle of the night and take over. Even if that meant I had a double shift coming up at 5am. I felt left behind a lot. Other than that, Murphy's a good and fair workplace.
its ok
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Meridian, MSJune 24, 2017
the job was fine the manger sucked. she was not understanding there was a lot of favoritism going on and i could not get with that at all so i left.....................
Perfect 1st time job
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Cartersville, GAJune 13, 2017
I recommend this job to anyone just starting out with work. I enjoyed learning my customer service skills, which I am very proud of now! I also learned responsibility and the true value of a dollar.
Good job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  North Little Rock, ARJune 6, 2017
Great place to work. But i want more... I dont feel safe. A bunch of crazies come into the store and i was told that i just have to deal with it. I witnessed my employee get physically attacked and when i asked what should we do in that situation i was told to smile and thank them and tell them to come back. I had a guy whom ive had a restraining order placed on come in and got written up for telling him to leave.
This job taught me how to manage a gas company
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Harker Heights, TXJune 5, 2017
Management was great they showed me how to do inventory and payroll. I also learned how to count deposits and do schedules. The hardest part of the job was dealing with customers who steal gas and merchandise. The best part of the job was being able to manage employees. A typical day was a learning one, I must say no day was the same.
Pros
I nade great money and was offered my own store at one time