Murphy Oil Corporation Employee Reviews

No hours, poor management
cashier (Former Employee) –  LincolntonFebruary 2, 2016
Constantly pushing you to sell stupid candy bars or whatever promotion they have at the time. So annoying. Was hired as a full time employee but wasn't allowed over 25 hours. Was expected to drop everything in life to come to work if someone called out or if the manager just up and decided to have a meeting.
Manager got mad at me for not coming to work when I had the flu.
Since it's impossible to work full time it's impossible to get benefits.
Great Company
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Conway, SCJanuary 30, 2016
A typical day at work is going in cashing people out and being polite, cleaning, stocking, talking with customers and making sure that they have everything that they need and that I did my job correctly. The most important part of my job is that I please my customers and make the boss understand that I know how to do my job and if I have any questions or concerns then I ask.
Ok Job
cashier (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MNJanuary 28, 2016
Good place to work and fun co workers but management needs a lot of help. Management is terrible you barely knoiw when your gonna work.
Pros
by yourself
Cons
good pay
Smoooth buisness practices with enjoyable management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bentonville, ARJanuary 18, 2016
A typical day at murphys includes changing printer paper on pumps and registers, cleaning of the restroom and parking lot, stocking of drinks and merchandise, making your cigarette count at the end of each shift, doing your shift report, dealing with customers and trying to make each one leave with a smile on their face, saving of the fuel survey, and doing any extra shift duties left by opening manager.
I learned that the slightest bit of kindness towards your customer or anyone for that matter actually does mean something.
The managers at murphy oil are reasonable understanding and fantastic people.
My co-workers at murphy oil were efficient and everyone pulled their own weight.
The hardest part of the job was unloading the truck and trying to get all my shift duties done by the end of my shift and have the truck completely unloaded and put away.
The most enjoyable part of my job was the customers.
cashier
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCJanuary 10, 2016
cashier job was good lots to do and no stop customers.needs better upper management they like to tell you one thing and go behind your back and do other
Pros
pay is ok
Cons
upper manager is poorly
Rewarding place to work!!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaJanuary 10, 2016
I loved my time with Murphy. They always made me feel like a valued member of the company even being "just' a manager. Love the core values, love the people, loved every thing. They set the bar high.
Pros
Always felt like a valuable member of the team!
Read below PLEASE
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  ArkansasJanuary 4, 2016
I'm currently an assistant manager at one of the stores. I work my butt off and always come in early stay late and come in on my days off when need. Anytime anyone needs me I've answered my phone. I'm a very dependable hard worked yet my boss here lately is always telling me how I don't do my job why do I hate her blah blah blah. It's become to the point I'm willing to go from making almost $11.00 a hour to a two dollar pay cut some where else. I'm tired of getting treated this way. I deserve better. She writes people up when they don't deserve it and has her one favorite employees that never gets wrote up. Even when she does the SAME thing I GET WROTE UP FOR. SMH. Murphy has some pretty screwed up stuff. There is SO MUCH MORE. but I can't sit here and write the book it would take. Hopefully if you do work here you'll get one of the good stores.
Pros
Good pay, great district manager, SOME stores are wonderful
Cons
No breaks, don't care about a lot, to much to put here
Too many inside issues
Cash handling, customer service, team work (Former Employee) –  Port Arthur, TXJanuary 4, 2016
I was only there for a short time. The management was burnt out and needed a vacation. There were a lot of issues with management and other employees.
Pros
the time went fast because your so busy
Cons
confusion and little to no help from the main office.
Stay Away!
cashier (Former Employee) –  Marion, NCDecember 31, 2015
To be honest, the only good thing about this job, is the flexible schedule. The management was horrendous, and what made it even worse is the fact that you work so hard to where you sacrifice your own family time, they still crack the whip on you. Stocking and ringing up customers wasn't the hard part, it was being FORCED to ID people that I just dealt with 10 minutes ago who I KNOW are old enough to purchase age restricted products, even though they just bought them the first time. Sometimes you would even be fortunate enough to get a 5 minute break, IF you're lucky. Even though I had a disability on my left knee, they still want me to stand for 9 hours... Unbelievable.. I am SO GLAD I finally got onto my profession career instead of this place. If you are desperate for a job where these people want to beat you to the ground, I'd recommend just working at Walmart. At least they let their employees off for Christmas!!!
Pros
Free Drinks
Cons
Sometimes no breaks, poor management
Just terrible
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bremen, GADecember 30, 2015
They stick one person in a kiosk alone for 6 to 8 hours. One top up taking care of customers, you have other responsibilities to see to any free chance you get. The pay is lousy yet they are dumbfounded at the turnover rate. Only part time positions until you become a manager
Cons
no lunch breaks, low pay for job responsibities

Want to know more about Murphy Oil Corporation?

Ask a question
Great place to work, customers were amazing
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXDecember 29, 2015
The most enjoyable part of my job were the customers, they were very polite and understanding. Management was great. They worked with you no matter what problem you were facing. I learned to be a team leader and that if you want change you must be the change.
Pros
great enviornment, great coworkers
Cons
No breaks, small work area.
Work wasn't so bad
Gas Station Attendant/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Trion, GADecember 23, 2015
the job itself was not to bad just no room to grow and pay was very little and only every 2 weeks. co workers were great and the upper management was also very pleasant to work with.
Very busy and fun place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Stow, OHDecember 20, 2015
LOVED working here and had a great staff and alot of wonderful customers , easy and fun job and a wonderful company, sadly the downsized and closed our store.
Pros
Fast advancement
Great job, bad bosses
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dothan, ALDecember 19, 2015
I really loved my job at Murphy, but I was fired for making one mistake, and the Division Manager who heard about the incident and fired me right around the holidays, knew NOTHING about me or how I worked or anything. I could have been suspended without pay, but no he just said fire me and that was that. The "big guys" care NOTHING about their employees but my District manager was great and he was very understanding and does his job very well.
Cons
No breaks
Totally unfair
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Jennings, LADecember 15, 2015
Did not get trained well, was thrown into the job without proper training, then got fired for making mistakes!! Management made all kind of new rules which applied to everyone except her! Worse job I've ever had!
Cons
Productive and fun, family-oriented workplace.
Accounting/Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  El Dorado, ARDecember 10, 2015
Our company as a whole recognize problems quickly and acted fast enough to really help out the employees. I recommend it to any employees looking for placement.
Pros
free refreshments, great benefits, early Friday's, great Christmas party
Cons
old building, needs update, no employee club anymore
Boring slow paced.
cashier (Former Employee) –  Orange Beach, ALDecember 10, 2015
Not the kind of company you want to work for if you're fast paced. Job was mediocre. Flexible schedule. Don't recommend if you don't have retail experience.
My Manager was awesome
cashier (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, IADecember 4, 2015
I was in line for assistant manager but my hours where cut to 15 hours a week.

I was working computerized cash register , I did inventory, had a good relationship with customers , took cash, debit/credit card machine.

Stocked items , trained on computer , clocked in and out on computer , opened safe , counted money
Pros
My manager was the pro's of the job because he is reliable and good at helping his employees
Cons
hours being cut to the point you have to quit right before coming assistant manager
I do not provide this information
Senior Benefits & Payroll Analyst (Current Employee) –  El Dorado, ARDecember 4, 2015
Murphy USA is a wonderful company and is located in El Dorado, AR. The town and company are both wonderful and I have no issues with recommending either place to anyone.
Horrible DM
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Roswell, NMDecember 4, 2015
I worked here for 5 months and I enjoyed my job. The problem was a district manager always threatening your job, never helping you, or not being detailed in what he wanted. He was always assuming every employee wanted a free ride. I was told by 2 store managers that I was their best employee they had and when I got injured I was treated like a criminal. When I asked how to report the injury no one told me how to or tried to even report it correctly in fear of the district manager who threatened everybody. I feel I would of stayed with the company if it hadn't been for the district manager and had people known how to report an incident (certain things aren't covered properly in training since you have to remember a lot in a short amount of time).
Pros
Up-sale rewards and more than fair pay
Cons
Fast training, no breaks, work alone at night