Murphy Oil Corporation

Murphy Oil Corporation United States Employee Reviews

Great work environment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Huntsville, TXApril 13, 2015
I enjoy working for this organization! I have gained a lot of experience in sales, management, and customer service. I have been with the company for almost two years.
Reaching out to others that need help
Gas Station Cashier (Former Employee), Enterprise, ALApril 9, 2015
Pros: Pay Rates
Cons: NO breaks
This job was more than frustrating, I had to deal with rude belligerent thieving customers. I have had to deal with drive offs with gas and people trying to steal product from the window box where i worked at. this place is over rated.
no breaks
Cashier (Former Employee), Alice, TXApril 6, 2015
unfair treatment lots of favoritism only good thing is pay very busy so you must be on your toes speaking of feet you stand for about 7-8 not allowed to sit.
Fun, Fast paced job; Most days.
CASHIER (Former Employee), seguin, texasMarch 29, 2015
Pros: A lot of hours, fast paced, good pay, benifits
Cons: NO breaks, Closed alone, Hard to use the restroom when by yourself
I enjoyed this job a lot. It was fast paced, time went by pretty fast, and the employees were nice. I loved the nice customers and it was always nice giving a helping hand to everyone.
Will not hesitate to fire you to make room for their friends
Assistant Manager/Cashier (Former Employee), TexasMarch 28, 2015
Cons: If you are busy no bathroom breaks, dangerous in some areas to work at night, corporate slow to send assistance for tickets on broken or damaged equipment.
Was overall a terrible experience. Long hours, not enough employees, and I even had to work double shifts between two stores (Opening at one, driving almost an hour across the district and closing another store on multiple occasions... as a cashier!) I was promoted to AM but shortly after another AM was transferring in from another store. Instead of demoting me the district manager ordered my store manager to remove me from the schedule and to collect my keys.
Its an okay place to start out.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Port Arthur, TXMarch 25, 2015
Pros: Easy to get hired as long as you pass the required criteria, guaranteed no overtime, there is room for advancement if you are willing to wait your turn and speak up about it, very flexible
Cons: there is usually no overtime, the customers stand outside, sometimes they go too far to please the customer, not showing protection for the workers
Depending on what you want out of the job and the company, it was a decent place to start working until I could do better. I would recommend it to start out and it may be a good fit for you, if you like that kind of work. It can be fast pace and the customers can be grouchy because they have to stand outside, but all you can do is your best and of course every customer is not grouchy of course.
It's not just a gas station
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), GeorgiaMarch 24, 2015
Pros: pay, commission, and vacation time
Cons: no breaks, little labor to work with, no consistency with scheduling
A typical day at work... I come in at 530am and start on running previous day inventory including counting inventory for paperwork and making sure the inventory is balanced. Mutlitasking is a must while perfoming necessary tasks. I have to do inventory counts, bank deposit, and complete paperwork while taking care of the customers. After that is done I then have to do regular maintenance and check on printer paper at the pumps, clean, and stock merchandise. Depending on what day of the week I also have to make and complete a merchandise truck order. In addition to that, I am constantly checking dates on products as well as any damaged products and make sure that I do not sell them to the customer.
This job has taught me to be more detail oriented in my work, management skills, better customer service skills, and a better understanding of how business run and make profit. The most enjoyable part of my day would be talking to my regular customers.The hardest part of my job is not working a consistent schedule and not being able to keep a routine at work and at home.
A lot of hard work, but for great compensation
Store Manager (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCMarch 23, 2015
Pros: great compensation, room for advancement
Cons: demanding work loud, high stress
I was in management for Murphy Oil working an average of 70 hours per week. The pay is extremely competitive, but for the amount of hours worked, it makes it not worth it. If you are a person with a family, you will never see them, and in the rare occurrence you are home, you will be constantly answering phone calls. The turnover rate is also very high, which puts a struggle on the employees that are still working. I will say, the opportunity for advancement was very good, and the higher ups are very friendly and very hands on.
Fun palce to work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Granite Falls, NCMarch 22, 2015
This company is the best! They take pride in what they do and reward all of their employees for all of the time and effort put in.
Stay Away!
Assistant Manager/Store Manager (Former Employee), TexasMarch 21, 2015
Pros: co-workers and some of the regular customers. tuitition reimbursement and paid vacation.
Cons: management, no breaks, no healthcare, rude customers
I worked at a kiosk.

Typical day would include doing the fuel survey (you do this three times throughout the day) daily paperwork and deposit, stocking all merchandise inside and outside the store, keeping the store clean (changing trash, wiping down gas pumps, coolers, food and other duties as assigned), inventory (you have different categories to do everyday), all while assisting customers. You usually work by yourself (8+) hours a day.

There are usually two people during the day shift, other than that depending on what shift you work (usually the mid), your relief will get there either 30 minutes or an hour before you are suppose to get off which gives you time to count your cigarettes (front room and back), lottery, and do your shift duties.

Customers are rude and will bang on your window or scream for you if you are not right there at the window waiting for them. Sometimes if you are lucky you might get 2 minutes in between customers to use the restroom (IF YOU ARE LUCKY). Strict ID policy in place, which also irritates customers who are asked to show their ID and do not have it.

This company does not care about the lower level employees (Assistant Managers and Cashiers). There is no work/life balance with this job. I was going to school full time and working 50+ hours a week. When you finally are off, you are bothered with calls or texts about things that could wait until you return to work the next day.

Every month there is a contest where you are forced to shove products down customers throats. At first the contests were fun, because you have chances to win cool – more... prizes, but after awhile you realize that this is just a ploy for the company to make more money and unless you are a Store Manager then you really do not benefit from selling these products (Store Managers can win trips and COS points).

For the company as a whole turnover is high. The store where I worked at we did not have a turnover problem, but being that most stores only have 5 or 6 employees, if someone calls in good luck trying to find someone to fill the shift.

You are mystery shopped every month and if you fail two within a 12 month period you are terminated. Please do away with this program. If you train your employees properly, what is the need for the mystery shopper program?

Paid vacation is a plus, monthly commission, tuition reimbursement (if you leave within a year of receiving it, you have to pay it back). I had great co-workers, which made this place bearable. I had a great manager until she got promoted to District Manager, then everything went downhill from there. – less
Fast Paced
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), Union, SCMarch 20, 2015
Pros: feel like family, paid time and half on most holidays, commission, great monthly prizes
Cons: no breaks, rude customers, hear nothing from corporate
You have to be fast paced to work at Murphy, fast on your feet, fast learner, great listener. As a head assistant store manager I would normally go in about 530am and work to 2 or 4 pm depending on the day. We do not get breaks so that is the main bad side so you have to eat and use the bathroom when you can. If you have the heart and mind for it you can go far with Murphy, although I have seen some people get passed over for no reason at all really. The hardest part is dealing with the rude customers you have to be nice and small and take care of their needs when you really want to tell them off and smack them. The management and co-workers are normally great, in fact other than a few that couldn't make it we all thought of each other as extended family. I love that we saw the same people every day and most of the customers become your friends. I worked for the company for almost 6 years and know nothing of the high up in the chain (corporate) other than what was rumored.
Long hours, rewarding work
Analyst (Current Employee), Houston, TXMarch 14, 2015
Pros: exposure, compensation
Cons: long hours
Typical day in my department consists of many ad hoc management requests and long hours.

Exposure to executive management is a huge plus.

Co-workers are just as dedicated and put in the work required.
I totally enjoy people
Cashier (Former Employee), Pensacola, FLMarch 12, 2015
Pros: non
Cons: non
I totally liked my job but I could not get more than 7 Hrs due to the Affordable Healthcare Act, so I had to find another job that would work me over 30 Hrs.
Not worth the stress
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Bedford, VAMarch 12, 2015
company as a whole cares more about its sales and promotions than their employees. employees are expendable and customers are not.
great
DM (Current Employee), floridaMarch 10, 2015
overral company was great but no personal life work balance the pay is alright and moving up is very easy as they try to really promote from inside...its a good life experience..if you can work at murphy you can work anywhere

james r.
Mid Paced Work Environment And Pretty Nice Customers
Cashier (Current Employee), Pinellas Park, FLMarch 8, 2015
Pros: mid-paced work environment, you work alone
Cons: no lunch breaks, no discounts
Its a pretty easy job. You usually work your shift alone and its almost never too busy so you'll find yourself with a lot of free time to work on other duties. The employees that work there are very nice and inviting and they also train you quickly and efficiently. The hardest part of working there though is not getting a lunch break but on the other hand you can always bring lunch to work because they do provide a microwave that you may use in between customers.
Productive challenging work place
Training Manager (Former Employee), Thomasville, NCMarch 7, 2015
Pros: extensive training, advancement opportunity's
Cons: no breaks
Murphy USA is a fast paced gas/convenience retail business. The company is proven to drive sales through employee training and engagement.
Enjoyable & fun place to work.
Cashier (Current Employee), Covington, TNMarch 6, 2015
Typical day at work I clock in count my cash register make sure its the amount it's suppose to be then I begin to work. I wait on costumers & check them out. When the paper on the pumps have to be fixed I go fix them then come back inside & help the customers. I also stock products in between customers.
It was a safe work environment and got along wit my co workers.
Station Attendant (Former Employee), Griffin, GAMarch 4, 2015
Pros: not a difficult job.
Cons: short hours, low pay
Normally a work day consist of interacting with customers and helping them with anything that I could. I improved on my customer service skills while working at Murphy USA. Management and co workers were fine for the most part. Hardest part of the job was it wasn't much to do, and the best part about the job was the friendly people.
I was a cashier working with customer
Cashier (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAMarch 3, 2015
I was a cashier at murphy oil corporation my enjoyable days are when the manager tell us upsell and winer will get a reword from the corporation and 2012 our store come second for the holl USA but again to dell with customer is very hard

1 2 3 4 5

About Murphy Oil Corporation

Murphy Oil Corporation (Murphy) is a worldwide oil and gas exploration and production company, with refining and marketing operations – Read more

Murphy Oil Corporation Salaries