Murphy USA Employee Reviews

Poor benefits
Shift Lead (Current Employee) –  TennesseeJanuary 20, 2018
Employees don't get discounts no bonus nothing. When a family member dies you don't get time off for the funeral or the burial or anything if not for my specific store managee I would have wuit a long time ago
nothing to say
Assistant Manager/Shift Leader/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mocksville, NCJanuary 20, 2018
Opportunities for advancement were limited at time I was there for people of my background due regional and district manager.They did not want one of us as manager,but I but be asst.mgr.
Cons
Enjoyable job but poor management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Excelsior Springs, MOJanuary 19, 2018
I was scheduled part time when I applied. I was told I'd be working 20-25 hours a week. I was working 25-35 on a average week. I felt like I received little training and was left to figure out most of it on my own by trail and error. I enjoyed my co-workers and the customers but the store manager was very passive aggressive when correcting my mistakes. I quit in frustration due to being over scheduled and the poor attitude of management.
Pros
customers, co-workers, request of days off, pay
Cons
Only one staff scheduled at a time, poor management, more hours than I was available
Fun place to work, competitive sales between co-workers
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Aurora, MOJanuary 18, 2018
Fun place to work, and the management is fantastic. I love the sales competitions between my co-workers and myself. Everyone is friendly and well-mannered.
Worst place to work for store 5528
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJanuary 18, 2018
The schedule was always inconsistent. You were promised up to 40 after 1 year cut your hours. 5528 had to use the bathroom in a porta-potty. consistent theft from outside kiosk area employees would get blamed and fired for it.
Cutthroat
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Harker Heights, TXJanuary 18, 2018
Worked hard, with no recognition, expected more from you than should have been expected, lack of upper management support, could have been a good with the right support system
Pros
Pay and benefits decent, lots of good people
Cons
Working in inclimate weather conditions
Awful
Cashier (Current Employee) –  MissouriJanuary 17, 2018
Pay sucks and theres a lot expected to do outside, no matter the weather. Work alone so its all on you. If a customer comes you have to stop what your doing to help
Murphy usa
Overnight Cashier (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MSJanuary 15, 2018
Manager was late every single morning asked to do everything was just a toxic work environment. Wouldn't recommended working for the company at all. Very last year staff
Pros
Non
assistant manager
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCJanuary 14, 2018
responsible for inventories, scheduling, deposits, ,customer service. Responsible for maintaining gas pumps, counting cigarettes each morning. Running register
Asst. Manager
Asst. Manager (Former Employee) –  Hartselle, ALJanuary 14, 2018
Open or Close store, stocking, start up money for cash register, bank deposit, inventory of stock. unloading trucks and putting away merchandise. Keep cooler and racks stocked .Ran Cashier register, cleaning bathrooms and pumps around building. Did repairs to gas pumps as needed, changing hoses and filters.
Pros
Loved working with all the people and meeting new ones as customers
Cons
Not a whole lot of benefits and was very cold outside during winter.
Love working here.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  IllinoisJanuary 13, 2018
I love my job as an assistant manager. The customers and my boss are amazing. I don't plan on leaving anytime soon. The pay isn't bad either. I actually like going to work.
Pros
Customers, always something to do, pay
Cons
No breaks
Great work experience
Cashier/ customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJanuary 11, 2018
I enjoyed working with Murphy. It's a friendly place except for the district manager, she was always rude when she came to check up on the stores. Other than her all the stores I worked at while being employed I enjoyed.
Pros
Cons
District Manager
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Surfside Beach, SCJanuary 10, 2018
If you want hours you need to work nights it seems. Tenure and work ethic means little. It seems if you are a woman with bad life choices, you are more apt to be promoted or given more hours even when being late or calling off. Not bitter just honest. Managers work very hard but need more training on hiring practices and maintaining loyal employees.
Pros
flexable schedule
Cons
If you want hours you must work nights.
At one time was a great company to work for.
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 10, 2018
I worked for the company for over 10 years. It was great company when I first started ,but I continued to see changes over the years that gave me concern. The company has great benefits by offering tuition reimbursement,401k,and managers having holidays off and the pay is good for the most part, but not consistent across the board . They started changing the commission program which reduced the payout amount. The work life balance changed over the years which made things a little more stressful due to not having time for your personal life or the ability to take your vacation. What disturbed me most with the company is that I observed is that they started eliminated people from their positions to bring in new people and tried to hind it by saying everyone had moved on for better opportunities, but in fact they were asked to leave. The incorporated a culture change ,but forgot to implement this change to corporate office.
Pros
Hollidays off
Cons
No work life balance
This job is the worst
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Oxford, NCJanuary 8, 2018
The job is the WORST. The ENTIRE company is very selfish. They work you crazy out of you for a little piece of money. There’s absolutely NO ORGANIZATION, everything is all the place. It not a guarantee that you will have a life and if you have child(ren) this is not the place you want to work. You get no breaks and everything is expensive with no employee discount This company is a road block in life. DO NOT APPLY ITS NOT WORTH IT.
Worsts place to worker ever in Kinston North Carolina
Cashier etc (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaJanuary 8, 2018
Experience so they pretty much work you to death to pay you for a little bit a chump change to make sure you do pretty much everything why are you in the store then I want you to work at night time were you supposed to work with two people but my manager thought that it would be best just for me to work so she could stay home and her bad and terrible experience it would never work there ever
Pros
Some of the customers was very nice and Kind
Cons
No breaks the manger pretty much doesn’t do nothing
I had a poor manager that caused alot of stress at work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 7, 2018
My manager was more concerned about gossip than the SOP. Both of my assistant managers quit within a week apart and my co-worker was dismissed and my hours were cut.
Pros
Working with the customers
Cons
No breaks
Very fast pace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJanuary 6, 2018
The store that I worked at only had one cashier rat a time working the afternoon/evening shift. You were not allowed to take a bathroom break and the lighting was bad in the back of the building where they kept their stock. The store that I worked for was not a safe and secure place to work.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Not a safe place and very unsanitary
Do Not Apply
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Macon, GAJanuary 4, 2018
I worked for this company for 4 years. Within these four years I did not have a life, I was constantly stressed out, and my health began to fail. Murphy does not provide a work/ life balance at all especially as a store manager. The store managers are stuck doing all of the work no matter what. They also do not care about their employees or their well being. Company advancement is on a who you know basis and not what you know or how well you do your job. Upper Management and Corporate do not support you at all. They do provide health benefits but they are so high you can barely afford them. Vacation time and Sick leave was only okay if you were a store manager or above. All other employees were not provided with sick leave which I felt like was unfair. I would only apply to this company if you are desperate.
Pros
Pay
Cons
No work-life balance, hard to advance, employer uncompassionate
fun and productive place to work.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hot Springs, ARJanuary 4, 2018
I enjoyed working for murphy USA. though the staff wasn't the best the environment was great! they gave me plenty of opportunities to pick up hours and seemed to work along side of my schedule.