Murray Guard Employee Reviews

Worst company I've ever worked for
Security Officer (Armed) (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ALJanuary 13, 2016
Captain stole money that was raised for a co worker who passed away,.office was informed and shady captain is still keeps his job. He should be drug tested from his tweaky behavior . No communication or help when they say "we are all family". General manage called my personal cell phone to rip me a new one ,..pay is awful and unfair. I got pulled from a site and was told they were going to place me (that was Nov 2,.yes right before Christmas ) and they still have not contacted me and are posting job listings on here!!! Seriously you have no morals.
Pros
Met a couple people that are nowGood friends
Cons
Management, Pay, dishonesty from leadership
As long as the old evil man that runs the place is there it will never be a good place to work, " as the Capitan goes, so goes the crew" !!
Guard (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TN / a.o.smithSeptember 14, 2016
When I first interviewed for the co. I should have seen a problem when the boss told me "you don't know anything about this job! We will tell you what you know" !! I thought the first guard I trained with was crazy when he warned me that "Everybody was out to get you at this job" BOY WAS HE RIGHT!!! FOR THE NEXT 2 YEARS and 10 months it felt like I was fighting for my job almost EVERY day. From the arrogant Capitan whose husband worked at the plant we guarded (against the rules, being married to an employee) to the day they finally fired me on a trumped up charge , To the aforementioned Boss who refused to promote me because he "hated my guts" If it wasn't for getting, 60 hours of overtime almost ever pay period (because they couldn't keep people) I would have likely broken somebody's jaw and quit a long time ago. Unless you have a prescription of Valiums don't go here.
Pros
8.15 per hour........ What pros?
Cons
Everything, everyday
Very good place to work but ready for a change
Security / EMT (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ALJuly 25, 2016
When I hired I was put as a security/emt supervisor. I have very good employees I work with that I can call my friends. A typical work day for me is I go in get briefed my leaving supervisor. I have 4 dhs environmental's I have to check, 1 reg environmental, I have 1 building and premature check, 15 co2 tanks I have to check, and sro building I have to check. During all this I am also the medical personal for the plant on my shift 10p-6a tuesday thru friday. When first started with company was get 40 hrs a week then they cut us all back with asking if we were ok with it.
Pros
HAVE TO EAT ON THE GO DON'T HAVE TIME TO EAT OTHERWISE
Cons
INSURANCE ISN'T UP TO PAR AND VERY EXPENSIVE
As a Security Guard Officer, It was a very rewarding experience.
Security Guard Officer (Former Employee) –  Scott and Murphy at Bowling Green, KYSeptember 3, 2016
A typical day involved checking all the doors, gates and storage lots to make sure they were locked and secure for my shift. The management was very helpful and considerate. My co-workers were informative and on time. The hardest part of the job was putting gas in the Jimmy truck to make rounds, and the most enjoyable part of the job was the independence of being the one security officer on the shift.
Pros
Good management and supervised job independence.
Cons
Hard to get gas in vehicle to go on rounds.
Supervisor at nucor plant
Dont (Current Employee) –  Gallatin County, KYJune 5, 2016
I work for Nucor galliton. The Murray guard ain't bad people except the supervisor over them. Believe his name is Logan out of Louisville office. We want things done our way and he is taking to long to get our attition with Murray guard. Weather they keep him around or not here might actually deterim there role here. He is rude doesnt listen to our staff. Just saying believe they need another person for the job someone who knows the area .and about steel mills. Local person.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Supervisor needs to go at nucor plant or company might.
Dead end job with horrible management.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ALJuly 22, 2016
They will promise to move you to a better site and never follow through. They WILL lie to you to get you to stay at a bad site. On site management was a joke. The communication between officers and the on site captain is horrible. All he cares about is keeping the contract and will not have your back whatsoever. Hours were all over the place but did work EVERY weekend.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Management (on site and in office)
Professional and productive work.
Supervisor, Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 21, 2016
• Supervise a team of four officers
• Guards entrance gate of the trucking grounds and buildings
• Checked credentials or approved roster before admitting anyone.
• Direct visitors and truckers to various parts of ground and buildings
• Inspect out going traffic to prevent unauthorized removal of company property or products.
• May answer telephone and transfer calls when switchboard is closed
Pros
Easy assignment
Cons
No scheduled lunch breaks or breaks or near by restrooms
Worst place to work
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 7, 2016
They will treat u right just like all companies,but after your probation period your whole life will change your schedule will get messed up they will play with ur money they will lose important assets you need the area supervisors do not know anything about the sites they take you to I recommend another company
Pros
Job experience
Cons
Only good if you kiss up to the right people
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  TennesseeApril 10, 2016
Working for Murray Guard is an experience. It is not one I would wish on my enemy. It is common knowledge among employees that the company will not address any grievances you may have with a coworker. The supervisors (who you may approach if you have an issue) will do anything to save their own tail, their buddies, or will simply brush it aside. If you approach them privately, you can be sure that all the other posts throughout the company will know of your private issue.

The only thing that may save your sanity is either the post you work or some of your fellow guards. Even then, most guards are aware that management does not care so in turn the guards do not care.

The pay is horrible for what you are expected to do. Some places will have you perform tasks that building staff would normally be expected to do (such as make coffee for the entire location or perform tasks that you are untrained for).

They also have a habit of firing people for serious infractions only to rehire them again (and possibly firing a second or third time).

I was told by fellow guards that work at other posts where "you don't do anything" still have these issues. No wonder they lose contracts.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
It's a job worth skipping over to find a better one.
fun place to work, salary was good. I like all the people
Security Guard (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Number 9July 14, 2016
I would go back if they would allow it. This job is perfect for a employee with only one leg. The best job I have ever worked.
Great atmosphere with college students
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  AAuburn, ALMarch 7, 2016
Hours are great scheduling is workable. HR is very concerned and up to date. Management at site could use some proper training and learn people skills.
Pros
pay, some co-workers
Cons
no proper training for new guards
like being laid off?
security (Former Employee) –  knoxville TennesseeNovember 4, 2012
The company has an insane turnover rate, one of the worse in the security industry. Advancement has nothing to do with anything other than personal relationships you have with the office people. Pay for an officer averages about 8.00 per hour. Murray guard recently was awarded a contract with tva back in May, since then they have laid off over 25 people from those contracts. Several of those people left full time jobs they had to take what they were told was stable employment. In the midst of such a horrible economy you could not do a worse thing to a person and their family, shame on you Murray guard!
Cons
lay offs, average pay, shady deal with benefits, horrible human resource
great people to work with and equal opportunity to be promoted
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 15, 2016
you have to be alert at all times.observing,monitoring & reporting are daily requirements.i as an employer some days are required to relieve another employer of duty.the hardest part of the job is staying active and some hours could be difficult
Pros
convienent hours/no hard labor
Cons
some days your relief may be late and youre subject to stay upon post for atleast four hours
Not a job to support family or make a living
Guard (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 28, 2013
Overall, horrid company to work for. I have worked for the company for 5 years and these are my experiences: Never have gotten a raise, work every weekend, holidays, midnights (no family life), was laid off for a year, notified by note by the contracted company I worked for, not Murray Guard (no security) stripped me of my 3 weeks vacation I worked for once took bid back I was laid off from (no respect), medical packages are not affordable, management is very unorganized and on a power trip, no chance for advancement/raises (after 5 years, they told me they couldnt give me a 10 cent raise), wont listen to post problems, took 7 months to get a jacket. When you do take a vacation, you dont get paid when you take it. They pay by your last name. So if your last name is Young, you get paid around Sept. You can take your vacation in June but will be like your calling off sick, no pay. I could go on and on. To be short, you are better off working at Mcdonalds. Murray Guard doesnt pay much better, if not the same, but at least at Mcdonalds you have:flexible schedule, raise and advancement oppurtunities.
Pros
not one single thing
Cons
this company should be shut down
Mediocre but hopeful company
Security officer armed (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ALDecember 31, 2015
Good company for a start and to learn from but not exactly the best place for good advancement and lacks good leadership. Good start for upcoming security specialists and a good second or full time job while in college.
Pros
holiday pay, laid back sites, decent to good co-workers
Cons
leadership, pay, no designated breaks
Boring and low pay.
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALFebruary 3, 2016
I was already retired and worked for them for 6 years and over that time our pay went from $12/hr to $11/hr. I saw many people come and go. It's a job that people get while they look for a good job. Stay away unless you just have to have a job.
Pros
Cons
low pay
3rd shift
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Auburn, ALApril 12, 2016
3rd shift hours or horrible. it feels like you never have days off. Then your pay gets messed up from time to time. if you don't like walking all night then do not apply for this job.
Stressful
SECURITY SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 22, 2016
Murray Guard is an unprofessional, unorganized company. Management does not know how to communicate with there employees. Days at work where very stressful. Co-workers are hard to get along with
Terible management/communication
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Stockbridge, GANovember 28, 2015
ive worked for murray guard for 7 months and it had its ups and downs easy work if you dont mind bieng bored. Management cares more for clients than there security personel. management has terrible communication problems. i wouldnot advise someone to work here
Pros
lots of work
Cons
terrible communication/ sucky hours
Good hard working and humble
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Lexington, TNJanuary 11, 2016
I'm a christian and I took pride in my job. I worked a 12 hour shift every weekend. I learned how security worked and why it is important. My coworkers are strict. The hardest part of my job was being discriminated against for my piercings and sexuality. The most enjoyable part of my job was the people I met along my journey.

2.9