Murray State University Employee Reviews

Murray State University is a great place to work
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Murray, KYNovember 28, 2017
The workplace culture across many departments that I have worked in have been so friendly, and beneficial to work with. I have learned so much from each department.
Pros
Flexible
Benefits
Fast Paced, Very Busy.
Cook 1, Catering, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Murray, KYNovember 13, 2017
The hours was great and the pay was good. I worked with some great people. Most of my cooking experience was learned from the MSU Staff. If management was as good as the workers I would have never left.
typical work day
Administrative Assistant I (Current Employee) –  Murray, KY 42071November 7, 2017
Responsibilities include maintenance of computer-based files, data entry and report preparation, creating and maintaining confidential forms, answering multi-phone lines, answering emails for department and chair when needed, scheduling appointments for chair of department, preparing travel requests and travel vouchers for faculty, scheduling pick up of university vehicles, and scheduling rooms for guest speakers and tentative professors, setting up appointments for prospective students to meet with a professor from recruitment office, general office duties and initial contact with all visitors to the office. Order textbooks and supplies for professors and adjunct lecturers. Interview and hire new student workers when needed for office assistance.
Pros
hour off for lunch, weekends off, pd holidays
Productive and fun place to work with others
Student Support Services, Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Murray, KY 42071October 22, 2017
Working at Murray State University was enjoyable, the management was excellent. I did not like making errands but other than that I loved working at Murray State University.
Pros
Free school supplies
Cons
I had time to study and make my homework
Quality School to Attend with adequate labs for research
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Murray, KYOctober 20, 2017
Attending Murray State University and being able to do Research in a lab was a great experience. On a typical day in the Physical Chemistry lab, computations would be calculated and then inferences could be made based on the compound and correlational values received from these quantum mechanical computations.
Was a decent place to work as a student
Curris Center Event Constructor (Former Employee) –  Murray, KYSeptember 7, 2017
as a student they worked around my schedule perfectly. This was great for when I wanted to get homework done and still have some money to spend on the weekends.
Pros
Flexible with work schedule. Easy to get shift covered
Cons
Not enough hours
This job was part of my financial aid
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Murray, KYAugust 29, 2017
My boss was not a very nice person but I learned a lot and the job greatly in orived my typing and stapling skills. Over all it ended up being a win for me but that nanny was just plain mean!
never enough hours
Racer Patrol (Former Employee) –  Murray, KYAugust 18, 2017
working for MSU was good but there wasn't much opportunity for hours to work. being that i was a student worker i wasn't allowed to work over 36 hours in a week
Pros
good people to work with
Cons
not enough hours
great leaders with plenty of people to help
Team Member Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Murray, KYAugust 6, 2017
Always working to help out the people in the community that are foster parents. Yearly training at a nice resort spend most of the time learning new things to bring back home to help foster parents.
University review
Book Store Cashier (Former Employee) –  Murray, KYJuly 20, 2017
The University itself was a nice place to work, but the manager I happened to work under in the Bookstore was very partial toward certain workers and was bias against workers that she did not feel bleonged in the bookstore working.
Perfect example she told someone that she was afraid they would have a seizure while at work, and scare off her customers she let this person go without warning.
Pros
Good benefits at a cost.
Used to be 'the place to work'.....
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Murray, KYJuly 7, 2017
Worked 19 yrs professionally. Past 5 years, significant decline in morale & leadership. People are leaving quickly

Budget crisis constant. No more than 1% raise since 2007 all while health ins going up. Getting to the point of losing good people because we are going in the negative with more out of pocket than going in. Very little transparency.

Used to be 'the place' to work, not anymore. Absolutely no fostering work/life balance, expected workload is daunting. Very unequal pay and work loads, almost a 1960ish,
Pros
pretty campus, cost of living is good
Cons
Downward spiral unless a massive overhaul soon
I would recommend this job experience to most college students.
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Murray, KYJuly 6, 2017
If this job were available to me as a college freshman I would have taken it then. As a Resident Adviser, I was on-call more often than not, and still managed a full course load, plus extra curricular activities. I learned so many new skills that helped me in life.
Pros
Private dorm room, access to free activites.
great place in the middle of nowhere
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  ChemistryJune 29, 2017
good infrastructure for science but no good faculty. Need better faculty and better research to attract faculty from inner cities like Nashville or Memphis, TN or even Lexington,KY.
Pros
cool place
Cons
not reachable
Working at Murray State University taught a lot.
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Murray, KYJune 21, 2017
Working at Murray State University I met a lot of people. When working with a large population you have to learn to adjust to the way other people are. Working there taught me how to deal with the public.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Having to deal with attitudes sometimes
The free food is always there for employees.
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Murray, KYMay 25, 2017
The job was hard to do for new workers.
The supervisors were rude so not fun at all.
Otherwise, overall experience was good.
I was working for dinning so i learned many things like, how to make food on grill, improved my communication skills.
Pros
Free Food
Cons
Short Breaks
Perfect for student needing small amount of employment
Tutor/Mentor (Current Employee) –  Murray, KYMay 23, 2017
My job as an MSU tutor was fun and I learned a great deal about the interworkings of a University Office and Department. Doesn't really offer enough possibility for hours to work.
Pros
Work at my own pace
Cons
Not enough hours of employment per week
Fun, flexible with class schedule
Cahsier (Current Employee) –  Murray, KYMay 1, 2017
Management can be disorganized at times, but staff and workers are great to work with. Schedule around classes and work with you if you have projects or big tests.
Pros
After 2 hrs. free $3 snack from store
Great job for a student.
Student Employee for Computer Laboratory (Former Employee) –  Murray, KY 42071May 1, 2017
Worked in science resource center, assisted faculty and students with videos and video equipment, maintained equipment, managed computers for laboratory, general office and accounting, excellent computer and communication skills
Pros
Easy job.
Cons
Low pay
Good work environment
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Murray, KYApril 28, 2017
It has been good for my professional growth.
Good work environment.
Prepared teachers.
The number of ESL students is decreasing so I havent been assigned many classes.
Excellent Culture
Student Disability Services Tutor (Former Employee) –  Murray, KYApril 7, 2017
Culture of hope, endeavor and achievement. Professors concerned about the well being of their students and not just grades. Professors highly qualified.
Pros
good work-life balance
Cons
short breaks