Murray State University Employee Reviews

Desk Clerk
Desk Clerk in College Courts (Former Employee) –  Murray, KYJanuary 26, 2016
Working with international students was a wonderful opportunity! Always a helpful environment and wonderful people to be working alongside.
Pros
experience with individuals from different cultuers.
Collegial and supportive
Assistant Professor OSH (Current Employee) –  Murray, KYJanuary 19, 2016
Supportive of teaching initiatives but lacking in research support. There is an under-utilization of very strong lab facilities.High quality undergraduate instruction aimed at industrial applications but lacking in incentives and programs that encourage higher education and research development
Fun and Productive workplace
Desk Worker (Former Employee) –  Murray, KYJanuary 13, 2016
I enjoyed the work but there were no benefits nor opportunities for advancement.I checked in and out summer students. I learned how to file documents such as maintenance and work orders and residential student information. Answered phone calls and took messages for each residential college. Not a difficult job. Monitored residential college boundaries as a security guard. I would arrive for my shift and take phone calls and notes and would occasionally work as a security guard for the residential colleges.If 1 hour breaks were given I would take a break and return to the desk at the residential college that I was stationed at and would remain at the desk until my shift was over. There were times when I could finish homework and other things at the desk when the lobby was not busy.
Pros
occasional breaks
Cons
When workers did not show up for shifts other workers could not have a break
Amazing work environment
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Murray, KYNovember 2, 2015
We are all like a family at this department. We all work hard to keep things moving and create the best and safest learning environment possible for the students who attend this university. A job well done always feels rewarding.
Pros
flexible work hours, great boss
Cons
low pay
Graduate Assistant
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Murray, KYAugust 27, 2015
I am a graduate assistant at Murray State University and I greatly enjoy my position. I work with and learn from a variety of people who are professional and devoted to Murray State.
long days and weekends,management didnt care if you needed help or not.
Catering Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Murray K.YJuly 23, 2015
Loved my student workers, management not so well. Worked 2 years with no full time help. 50 to 60 hours a week got old. Dealt with a lot of problem solving for costumers. Working long days and nights and every weekend left little time for my family or my self.
Pros
Worked with a great bunch of students, great benifits and health care.
Cons
worked 12 to 13 hr days with no lunch break, working nights and weekends just about every day, mabey a saturday and sunday off every two months.
Great University for Undergraduate Chemistry Degrees
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Murray, KYJuly 7, 2015
The department of Chemistry is extremely esteemed and genuinely care about the students ability to thrive after achieving their undergraduate degree. Research opportunities are open to undergraduates willing to seek positions.
Inspiring place to work
Program Director (Current Employee) –  Murray, KYJune 8, 2015
I think Human Resources/Payroll needs to improve communication skills with all departments/colleges and stick with a system that is not only current, but works.
Loved It
Athletic Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Murray, KYJune 4, 2015
I absolutely loved everything about this job. The team environment was great and everyone contributed. An awesome atmosphere helped workers keep morale up and love what they were doing.
Veterinary Diagnostic Lab with family atmosphere
Network Administrator (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYMay 11, 2015
A family atmosphere with many technical challenges. A typical day at work was not quite typical many days you could be doing several different tasks. I learned while I was there serial networking is complex and can be touchy. Medical instrument manufacturers are in the dark ages of networking and someone needs to step up and bring these devices up to date in a networking sense. I mean who still deals with serial connections anyway most companies that have made devices that interface with PCs and or Macs by this time have gone to a standard USB. This could be considered the hardest part of the job was instrument interfacing with legacy technologies. Another issue that made the job difficult was the fact that you are the only Information Technology person there and there were very few who were knowledgeable of the systems and much documentation was lacking from in-house systems solutions. The most enjoyable part of the job was the challenge and the people. There were regular potluck lunches to celebrate staff birthdays and occasionally there would be break snacks.
Pros
People, family atmosphere, professional staff in their subjects of expertise
Cons
lack of documentaion for in-house solutions, voip system unique, traditional PC users
Good Work Place
Student Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Murray, KYApril 19, 2015
Great people. Answered phone calls and delivered mail. Ran errands for the Dean. Made sure people that came in the business building had their needs met.
Pros
2 hrs a day
Cons
no breaks
Productive and fun workplace
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Murray, KYMarch 30, 2015
I learned how to proactively teach students what I had learned through the program I had graduated from. My co-workers and I get along great and work very well together.
College life
Federal work Study (Former Employee) –  Murray, KYMarch 24, 2015
Working as a Federal work study my hours were extremely limited. The group that I worked for opened up many doors through the community for career opportunity.
Not a bad job to have while still in school
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Murray, KYMarch 10, 2015
Terrible training but easy once you get the hang of it. They let you have full control but are there if you need help. You can have a problem with students trying to take advantage of your time but can be easily avoided.
Good place to work,I have learned a lot and meet some great people,looking to expand my skills and opportunities.
Catering Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Murray, KYFebruary 11, 2015
My typical day consist of,pulling for events,setting up events,checking schedules of student and part time workers,inventory,ordering of linens and interacting with clients at events.
Pros
interacting with a verity of people.
Cons
no room for advancement.
Case Initiator (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYJanuary 20, 2015
The working environment at this position was very relaxed and professional. Coworkers were very professional in their conduct.
Great work environment and my bosses were very nice.
Assistant Secretary for the Community College (Former Employee) –  Murray, KyJanuary 7, 2015
This was a government assisted job that I qualified for in the Spring 2012. This helped with making money while living in the dorms and working around my school schedule for that semester. I really enjoyed talking to professors and helping them grade papers and organize important documents for incoming students. I also helped out with errands and other tasks.
Pros
great people, secretarial skills, and communication
Cons
only 10hrs a week was the government requirement
It was a good learning experience for me
Assistant Football Coach (Current Employee) –  Murray, KYDecember 18, 2014
I didn't get paid for my service. I work over 80 hours per week without any days off. Sometimes I forgot what day it was due to the fact that I work so much. On the other hand, I learned valuable tools that will assist me and landing my next job.
Administrative Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Murray, KYNovember 3, 2014
Job security was great. Faculty were very supportive and great to work for. Great environment to work for. I learned and improved my skills while working for Murray State University
Good Student Jobs
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Murray, KYOctober 14, 2014
Murray State provides good student jobs. Supervisors understand that your education comes firs.

4.4