Murray State University Employee Reviews

A good place to start a career.
Parking Enforcement Officer (PEO) (Former Employee) –  Murray, KYJanuary 30, 2017
A little university housed in a little town, nothing will ever beat this home-town feeling and experience. When working for the University you feel like you're working with family and that made for a very good working environment.
Pros
Benefits, Tuition Waivers, Location, PTO
Fantastic place to work
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Murray, KYJanuary 19, 2017
The 8-5 schedule is enjoyable and the people you work with definitely make the job more enjoyable.Management is made up of people who will help you develop your future.
Fast-Paced Customer Service
Parking Enforcement Officer (PEO) (Current Employee) –  Murray, KYSeptember 28, 2016
Working at MSU in a service department requires fast-paced customer service, the ability to work under high pressure, and to be able to handle any situation that comes your way or be able to point the situation to the right direction.
Benefits
Cons
Rigid time report system
Fun and Productive workplace
Desk Worker (Former Employee) –  Murray, KYJanuary 13, 2016
I enjoyed the work but there were no benefits nor opportunities for advancement.I checked in and out summer students. I learned how to file documents such as maintenance and work orders and residential student information. Answered phone calls and took messages for each residential college. Not a difficult job. Monitored residential college boundaries as a security guard. I would arrive for my shift and take phone calls and notes and would occasionally work as a security guard for the residential colleges.If 1 hour breaks were given I would take a break and return to the desk at the residential college that I was stationed at and would remain at the desk until my shift was over. There were times when I could finish homework and other things at the desk when the lobby was not busy.
Pros
occasional breaks
Cons
When workers did not show up for shifts other workers could not have a break
I was not impressed with the leadership of the program.
Adjunct Professor (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Murray, KYFebruary 15, 2017
The leadership of the education program needs extreme reworking. The co-faculty members were wonderful, but the leadership made it a hostile working environment and did not support it's workers.
Small Town Feel
Assistant Athletic Director for Compliance (Former Employee) –  Murray, KYJanuary 29, 2017
Murray has a small town feel and a tight knit group. Very big basketball school. Cost of living didn't exactly match pay. Very friendly people.
high volume work experience
Sous Chef/ Production Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Murray, KYSeptember 21, 2016
chances to advance
multicultural experience
chances to learn alot about culinary arts
chances to work catering events and be involved in great events and conferences
Pros
free lunches
Cons
low pay
Msu
Upward Bound, Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Murray, KYSeptember 24, 2016
Wonderful enivornment to work. Everyone treats you like family, Very relaxed place to work. Very Flexible, family oriented, fun enivorment.
Small place but great people
Asian Specialist (Former Employee) –  Murray, KYJuly 12, 2016
I love this university. The VP for student affairs is the best! the university is great with great people.

The gym and swimming pool are amazing compared to many others.

The care among people and great relationship is the best thing I miss there.
long days and weekends,management didnt care if you needed help or not.
Catering Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Murray K.YJuly 23, 2015
Loved my student workers, management not so well. Worked 2 years with no full time help. 50 to 60 hours a week got old. Dealt with a lot of problem solving for costumers. Working long days and nights and every weekend left little time for my family or my self.
Pros
Worked with a great bunch of students, great benifits and health care.
Cons
worked 12 to 13 hr days with no lunch break, working nights and weekends just about every day, mabey a saturday and sunday off every two months.

Want to know more about Murray State University?

Ask a question
Hard long days
Athletic Training Student (Former Employee) –  Murray, KYMay 5, 2016
Worked with a variety of individuals, each had their own style. Rewarding work helping to get those injured back to where they wanted to be. Long days, hard days, but rewarding in the end.
Pros
Helping those who need it
Cons
Hard days, some in charge were better than others
Earned a lot of experience in my internship
Athletic Media Relations Intern (Former Employee) –  Murray, KYJanuary 28, 2016
The athletic media relations office was extremely generous to me while I learned how the profession worked. I learned exactly what I wanted to for my career by being around the staff.
Nice
Temporary Employee (Current Employee) –  Murray, KYMay 3, 2016
Good place to work.Get some courses for free which is a great perk if you want to continue your education. My department was close knit and supportive.
Amazing work environment
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Murray, KYNovember 2, 2015
We are all like a family at this department. We all work hard to keep things moving and create the best and safest learning environment possible for the students who attend this university. A job well done always feels rewarding.
Pros
flexible work hours, great boss
Cons
low pay
Good School work ballance
Student Worker/Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Murray, KYMarch 6, 2016
Working with MSU is good and bad depending on which department you're in. But they give a good schedule to work with your classes
Pros
great schedule
Cons
only 15 hours per week possible
great place
Student Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Murray, KYMarch 22, 2016
did work study and intern learned a lot about how the business aspect of the university worked and all the players needed to effectively run an university
Pros
met lots of people
Cons
minimum wage
Peaceful and flexible work place
Receptionist for Dean of College of Science (Former Employee) –  Murray, KYSeptember 23, 2014
A typical day at work included me making copies, sending faxes, answering phones, handling cash, and helping students and faculty with basic computer systems issues. I learned how to manage an office-like environment, and how to handle responsibilities on my own. Management was friendly and helpful. Usually worked alone, but coworkers were also friendly and helped share responsibilities. The hardest part of the job was working alone for long periods of time. The most enjoyable part of the job was having sole responsibility and the flexibility of the work place.
Collegial and supportive
Assistant Professor OSH (Current Employee) –  Murray, KYJanuary 19, 2016
Supportive of teaching initiatives but lacking in research support. There is an under-utilization of very strong lab facilities.High quality undergraduate instruction aimed at industrial applications but lacking in incentives and programs that encourage higher education and research development
A valuable experience and wonderful staff members
Safety Intern (Former Employee) –  Murray, KYMay 22, 2013
I could not speak more highly of my experience working for Murray State University. I was able to accomplish my career goals with this employer and have an unforgetable experience. The staff members were wonderful to work with. They really get to know and care about every individual. I am extremely thankful and greatful to have been apart of the working atmosphere at Murray State University. I enjoyed the professionalism of my colleagues and highly reccommend this employer to anyone who is interested in a position with the university. I think a sign of a good employer is one that allows you to grow in your professional career. MSU certianly excelled at helping me grow professionally. Periodically, I would be assigned various job tasks that were challenging to me. This would allow and require me to develop new skills and techniques giving me a well balanced job experience. I think the hardest part of my job task was the paperwork, database management, record keeping ect.. Sometimes it was repetitious. However, it is necessary in virtually any enterprise today. The best part about working for Murray State University was the people I worked with and the campus population I served. I am proud to be a Racer and to have been fortunate to work with the amazing staff at MSU.
Pros
amazing staff and community, professional growth, individual recognition, and beautiful campus
Cons
repetitious paperwork, database management
Desk Clerk
Desk Clerk in College Courts (Former Employee) –  Murray, KYJanuary 26, 2016
Working with international students was a wonderful opportunity! Always a helpful environment and wonderful people to be working alongside.
Pros
experience with individuals from different cultuers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Murray State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3