Museum of Modern Art Employee Reviews

fun workplace
gallery attendant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 6, 2016
I have work for the Museum of Modern Art for ten years. It is a nice place to work I get to interact with people from different background and nationality. Staff are so great and respectful.
Pros
good benefits
Calm and productive work environment
Manager, Finance and Administration (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 10, 2016
Managed finances for division including accounts payable, funds receivable, banking, credit card reconciliation, month end close process, taxes, and ad hoc projects.

Wonderful location and great people to work with.
Fantastic Place to Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 26, 2016
Even though it was just a seasonal job, it was one of the best jobs I ever had. Everyone was great, the CEO's were really friendly, and the benefits were incredible.
Great work environment; great people; challenging
Manager, Finance and Administration (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 10, 2016
Manages the finance and human resource administration of a artistic division. I collaborate with the CFO, Controller, and department directors on the operations, finance, and accounting, benefits of revenue and human capital.
Pros
laid-back, creative enviornment
The Bright Lights of Museum Shopping in Soho
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 13, 2015
A typical day is getting the doors open on time, keeping the store clean and well stocked, and motivating the staff.
Because the sales staff at MoMA is union my biggest challenge was the difficulty in letting (very few) people that weren't happy, go.
There were a lot of corporate managers so the pace was slower than I was used to but they were good people with good ideas.
The hardest part of my job was probably just the usual situations one can find themselves in when dealing with the general public.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the atmosphere of design objects, great books and the neighborhood.
Pros
The benefits. Being around a lot of pretty things
Cons
Managing a union team can be challenging at times.
Great
Kitchen Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New york, nyOctober 4, 2014
Excellent place to work! Lots of fun, interesting exhibits and outstanding care for their employees.
Great Place to work, room for growth and oppotunity, great staff and leadership
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 30, 2014
Provide customer service to all guest, information, guest services, retail services..
Pros
Constantly stimulating, people, art, New York City, ability to learn as I work and appreciate art
Cons
No Cons
What's not to love
Marketing Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 29, 2014
A great place to work especially given the perk of being the first to see exhibits
Dynamic
HR Analyst (Current Employee) –  New york, NYJuly 14, 2014
An interesting company. I work with all employees on various topic and assignments as needed.
Wonderful learning experience
Intern with PopRally (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 24, 2013
I am learning a vast amount of information about the museum world and the art world in general. MoMA is an essential resource, teaching visitors about art and culture.
Love the Museum
Exhibition Budget Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 21, 2013
By far the best museum to work for in the country, probably due to the unionized employees. Very good environment.
Great place
Retail division Temp position (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 3, 2013
Great people, I had a wonderful time there and learned a lot.
A very fun and loving place to work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 10, 2013
Working in the Museum of Modern Art has been one of the best experiences yet. When ever I got to work, I was always greeted with smiles and hugs and everyone is just very pleasant to work with. I felt comfortable and happy. Even though the museum store can get extremely busy on a daily basis, that did not take away from our patient and friendly manner. The most important thing I learned working at the museum is team work makes the seemingly impossible possible. We all worked as one unit and as a result, we accomplished our goals for the day. The management at MoMA is of top quality. Everything is run smoothly and the manager works really hard with us to make sure that everything functions as how it should be, I would say that there was nothing difficult about the job. Every now and again, I would encounter a temperamental customer but the most important thing is to have a lot of patience and give the customer whatever he wants with a positive attitude.
Pros
There was always food in the lunch area, very friendly people
Fun place to work
Design Product Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 8, 2013
Great coworkers
Interact with thousands of tourists
Visually stimulating with great works of art and help visitors have a wonderful experience
you'll be proud to work there
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 13, 2013
Besides the aching feet, this is actually a great job. You get to meet people from all over. They throw parties for celebrities an it makes you feel proud just to a part of something so big. There's beautiful artwork (much of which I don't get). And the view from both inside and looking out makes you feel brand new. Now the co-workers are another story. But once you get settled in they seem to fade into the background. If you do decide to work there then you'd want to invest in a pair of "Rockport" shoes (you'll thank me later). 40 and 20 min breaks have you rushing to buy and stuff you lunch down your throat. And slow days seem to drive me nuts but you might enjoy just pacing around.
Pros
it's moma!
Cons
weird breaks, foot pain from standing all day
not happy with this job
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 24, 2013
roll call then right to post no bathroom breaks. management has their pets and everyone one else treated like trash.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
no bathroom breaks, on me feet all day
Fast and fun place
Security (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 22, 2012
A typical day would be consumed by helping people with their basic questions in regards the Museum amenities and what's on display. Working there I was able to learn a little of different languages based on the cultures that visited our location.

My co-workers were great to be around and the managment was great team to work with. My hardest part are really hard to say because every day was something new especially with the amount of artist who would come around.
A Very Productive And Fun Environment
Visitor Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 10, 2012
Greeting Tourist And Giving Directions On Navigating Through The Museum

People Are All The Same, It's Our Experience That Separates Us

Management Was Very Laid Back, Allowed Us To Make Own Judgment But Was Available For Guidance

Coworkers Are Very Friendly And Diverse

Staying Focused, It's Hard To Do When You Have 5000 Tourist Coming Up Asking Questions When English Is Not Their First Language

Being Able To Help A Tourist Enjoy Their Time At The Museum
no room for growth
Security Officer/ Front Desk (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 22, 2012
If your looking to make money this is the place but you have to sacrifice your personal life. They don't care about your kids or well being. The physical stress along with the emotional toll is unbearable after a while. You only put up with it for the benifits and pay to survive in this economy. Many people end up fired and the union is garbage
Pros
excellent pay great medical
Cons
long hours, short breaks, unreasonable schedule and rude management