Museum of Science and Industry

Museum of Science and Industry Employer Reviews

Great work/life balance
Coordinator, Membership Marketing (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 7, 2014
low pay, but compensated with wonderful benefits like city-wide museum access and a 35 hour week. excellent work-life balance.
An enriching experience
Science Minor/ Science Achiever (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 16, 2014
We learned about science pertaining to the modules we were learning during the school year. We also learned presentation and communication skills.
Fun work place
Guest Services (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 9, 2014
Pros: great schedule
Cons: no discount lunch
I had a great experience working here every one is very nice and professional its not a tense environment you get to meet a lot of new people everyday
Great Starting position for career in Special Events
Special Events Assistant (Former Employee), Tampa, FLJanuary 4, 2014
Work days included inventory, filling out purchase orders and making sure vendors were paid on time. Ordering equipment and staffing for upcoming events. Coordinating with all Museum departments, reserve room space, correspond with the chef about Food/Beverage orders. Communicating with the client to make sure event day runs smoothly. Orchestrating – more... event timeline and setup. Event Breakdown and reset for Museum guests the following day. – less
I loved working at the Museum of Science and Industry
Senior Administrative Assistant, External Affairs (Former Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 23, 2013
MSI is am amazing place to work. The people are great and you really feel like you made a difference in the lives of children.
Family Fun
Guest Associate Representative (Former Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 8, 2013
A Typical work day was giving tickets to customers. I improved on my customer service skills and the management was very flexible. My co-workers were cool, but they weren't my main focus. The hardest part was understanding the foreign guest. The most enjoyable was putting the smiles on guest faces.
Bodies Interactor
Interactor (Former Employee), Tampa, FLJuly 15, 2013
Pros: huge learning experience & cafeteria open
Cons: no breaks
First off this is the job that got me to quit smoking. I gave lectures and answered questions at the BODIES exhibit at MOSI. I used to pass around a plasticized black lung of a former smoker. I had to get a trashcan to hold the packs of cigarettes thrown in there. I mainly focused on the CT man or the capillary exhibit explaining the process of the – more... plastination and surgeries to present the BODIES. – less
Great surroundings
Volunteer (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 5, 2013
Enjoyed the people I met, made connections, and succeeded.
Great and fun place to work
InterActor (Former Employee), Tampa, FLJune 18, 2013
This was a fun place to work. It feels like a family, and everyone really cares for and takes care of each other. If I hadn't moved, I would still be working there.
Very high volume job.
Facilitator/Interpreter (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 5, 2013
Pros: accessible knowledge to museum exhibits.
I worked exclusively with the public in engaging guest with science content.
Exciting enviorment to be around for long hours.
Cashier / Food Prep (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 12, 2013
Pros: we get 11.00 paid lunch.
Cons: n/a
I enjoy working at the Museum of Science and Industry a lot. It is a very exciting place to be and something different occurs everyday. Every part of the job is easy, and everyone is very easy to get along with.
Internship
Prospect Research Intern (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 30, 2013
Pros: great benefits for volunteers (feel flu shots, training seminars, get to explore the museum)
My internship mostly revolved around Raiser's Edge and learning all about it. I worked a lot by using online databases such as hoovers, fconline, guidestar, lexisnexis, zillow, and research point.

One great thing about the museum is that everyone is onboard. We all recognize that it is a team and everyone here is striving to continue with the museums – more... mission.

The best part of my job is knowing that I may not be on the floor participating with guests but I am helping the museum continue is amazing legacy. – less
Ideal for a worker who likes to facilitate a good time for others
Admission Service Representative (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 16, 2013
Pros: exciting atmosphere / free vouchers to special exhibits / reciprocal museum free admission /
Cons: limited advancement opportunity, seasonal hours for part time employees, limited full time positions
On average every day you meet a steady moderate to heavy flow of work. Free days are 'lazy' days where the focus is on upselling to special exhibits and movies or memberships.
At this world famous musuem I met people from everywhere and truly enjoyed and learned from our brief encounters... we are all connected.
Management encourages you to shine being – more... the front end of the museum experience it is essential to smile! and enjoy your work. It is however a job that requires more self discipline than leadership once you know the ropes.
Co-workers ranged from excellent to less than ideal. Work ethics or lack there of were easily identified. All my co-workers were likeable just not as honest as I expected and desire.
The hardest part of the job had nothing to do with the work... it was getting there... however, I always was on time. As far as the work it was difficult to pacify someone's disappointment when their desired exhibit was sold out and it was their only day to enjoy the museum and only opportunity to see what they came to.
The most enjoyable part of this job was being surrounded by people who made learning fun... and the Science of course! – less
Thoughtful, managed, efficient
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 2, 2013
Pros: co-workers, director
Cons: there were none
Well managed and proficient is what I encountered on a daily basis while assisting the Director of Business Operations, he was very easy to work with in the most rewarding department. Whether dealing with our department on a regular basis, managing our vendors, receiving new contracts everyday was a challenge but I enjoyed it.
funplace
Cook/Cashier (Former Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 19, 2012
Pros: free lunch
Cons: healthcare
I enjoy working at the museum of Science and industry / good learning place for children to go.
volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee), Temple Terrace, FLSeptember 21, 2012
educational work environment, meet many new people. co-workers were great and communicated well between each other. management very easy to talk to and listen. moderate pace for typical day.
Being able to enjoy all the exhibits.
Member Service Representative (Former Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 6, 2012
Pros: being able to see the special exhibits after hours.
Cons: being able to communicate with people from all over the world with different languages.
The Museum was a very exciting job for me as well as a big learning experience. I had a chance to meet people from all around the world and learn how to communicate with people on all levels professionally.
Fun work environment
Executive Secretary, Body Human & Exploration Mars (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 3, 2012
Supported two project managers as they created their new exhibits
Good network of coworkers
Good teamwork throughout projects
nice place
Cashier (Former Employee), Tampa, FLMarch 29, 2012
Good place to learn customer service skills and interact with all kinds of people all day
Prductive, great, fun fast pace lively work environment
guest admissions representative (Current Employee), chicago, ilDecember 13, 2011
Pros: uniform, team work, management, lunch breaks, over time
Cons: promotions
at the museum of scienece and industry customer service has to be exceptional at all times, because you are working with so many different agre groups, genders, cultures, and ethnicties but it is a great place to work.