Museum of Science and Industry Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Lack of leadership and effective communication
Astronomer Inter-Actor/ Space Programs Department (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 23, 2017
With various departments throughout the museum, I personally felt a majority of the time there was a lack of communication given to my specific department. I found this frustrating as the public was mislead at times pertaining to daily shows and etc. on our behalf.
Pros
Teaching young children about astronomy involving school programs.
Cons
Travel and Pay
Great team
Guest Admissions Representative (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 16, 2016
It is a great team with a great management team great if you are only looking for temporary or part time work. If you are looking for a full time or permanent position may not be for you.
Quality Institution
Manager, Individual Giving (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 7, 2016
The Museum of Science and Industry is an amazing cultural destination in Chicago. By far one of the best museums in the city that provides valuable science education content for audiences of all ages.
Guest Admissions
Guest Admissions Represenative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 21, 2016
Being a GAR representative was amazing. You meet people from all over the world and the system that you work on was simple. You would balance out at the end of the day and management there was so awesome to work with! They were flexible with what you needed and allowed for creativity. They had amazing energy there as well.
Pros
The pay, management, and the overall experience was amazing.
Cons
A bit competitive
Nice place with nice people
Educator (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 12, 2016
A good mix of people that really seem to care for the most part. Everyone is relatively kind and the work isn't that bad. The best part was getting to teach people about the wonders of science.
Fun and exciting learning environment
Communications Intern (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 29, 2016
As an intern, I was given a well rounded learning experience. The company gave me experience with events, media, and administration.
Working for the Museum resembles real life...
Retail Manager/Production assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 25, 2016
Working for the Museum resembles real life, means that it can be very unpredictable from day to day. I work in the retail department and had the opportunity to intern with the Graphic Design office, so I literally get to see both the front end action up close and the behind the scenes.

It's very hands on and the exhibits are iconic, so we have tourist from around the world visiting as well. That means when we have school groups it can be very fun yet chaotic. Then tourist season slows down and it can be a very quiet place and you can take your time and do what needs to be done.
Pros
Meeting Tourist, Location, Museum History
Cons
Short Lunch Breaks, store hours during slow season
Museum Improvisation, Learning Various exhibitions, scientific experiments and guided tours.
Facilitator One (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 18, 2016
Every morning we participate in improvisation games and activities to help prepare our teams for deeper understanding of the energy needed to properly engage museum guest. These games and activities help prime our brains not only for learning new concepts and scientific content, but bring the necessary we will need to get through demanding and enthusiastic guests. The best part about working at the museum is working with the children and their families. Over the years, I've come to understand that the programs and experiments may become stale them selves. But most of the guests are almost always seeing the experiments and tours for the first time in their life. The reactions and engagements make it completely worth the time and effort it takes to remained focused on the task at hand.
Pros
Science education. Inspiring and encouraging children to becomes scientists, doctors, engineers, and mathematicians through fun exciting engagements. Fun and loving team atmosphere.
Cons
No salary increase. Budget issues and programming cuts.
this job is great if you are in school.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 27, 2016
working here as a started is great. you experience and learn but do not suggest investing your entire life here. the most enjoyable thing about this job is the museum it self.
Good for the short term
program assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 5, 2016
Good work life balance, flexible hours, all the perks of a non-profit. But, you also get the downsides, like low compensation, few benefits, and little advancement. There seem to be two types of people that work here, those who are new and those who have been at the institution for years. There isn't much room for promotion, and a lot of people just have lateral moves. Additionally, there are some individuals that do the minimum needed and it can be frustrating that you work much harder than those individuals yet you are paid the same amount of money.
Pros
occasionally have free food, flex hours, good work life balance
Cons
few benefits, no perks, little technology
Highly Entertaining
Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 4, 2015
This employer strives at teaching you new and exiting things involving technology and science and everything in between. There is never a dull moment.
Great place with great people who really care about you
Paid Intern Duties (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 20, 2015
While working at the museum is not easy it is lots of fun and very interesting. I arrived early in the morning and had a good healthy inexpensive breakfast then I got to work. I set up my 1st station in the morning than every 45 min I would rotate stations until lunch. After lunch I took part in putting on a show for the museum guest. After the show I worked at a station until 3:45 and then cleaned up. Then I left at 4 pm. My favorite part was teaching the different people new things and to see there faces light up.
Pros
20% discount free parking, free museum entry
Msi
Guest Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 30, 2015
A typical day at work with my co-workers, was always a positive one. We worked as a team! The management team made themselves available for whatever tasks that were expected or unexpected. I've learned to be organized, dependable, a risk taker, confident, and educate myself regarding different cultures and people around the world, that I had the opportunity to engage with. The most hardest part of the job, was watching the little children become separated from their parents. The most rewarding, was hearing the feedback regarding my customer service skills, and how the guests enjoyed MSI.
Pros
Diversity was amazing
Cons
A lot of slow days
I felt like I had a second family.
Accounting Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 16, 2015
Everyone is friendly but in a professional way. And we never missed a deadline. I was able to grow as a person and a professional. I got skills that I wouldn't have been able to get I was just in a classroom.
Pros
Got my own office, Friendly co-workers, Improved on skills
A Wonderful experience offering families opportunities to explore science.
MANAGER, MEMBERSHIP CUSTOMER SERVICE (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 15, 2015
I enjoy speaking with members who are seeking the highest level of customer service that is available to enjoy the benefits and privileges they receive when they decide to invest in their children's and family's education and future.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
Personal Development, Salary, Growth
Exciting work place!
Birthday Party Planner (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 25, 2015
I loved this job, I've worked at this museum for 5 years. It was ideal due to me always being on my feet and being able to make children and adults alike smile.
Pros
Loads of fun!
Cons
No lunch break most the time.
alot of customer service skills needed
Box Office Cashier (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 6, 2014
i enjoyed working at mosi it was very fast paced and just for me.
Pros
very relaxed environment
Cons
alot of standing
Great work/life balance
Coordinator, Membership Marketing (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 7, 2014
low pay, but compensated with wonderful benefits like city-wide museum access and a 35 hour week. excellent work-life balance.
An enriching experience
Science Minor/ Science Achiever (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 16, 2014
We learned about science pertaining to the modules we were learning during the school year. We also learned presentation and communication skills.
Fun work place
Guest Services (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 9, 2014
I had a great experience working here every one is very nice and professional its not a tense environment you get to meet a lot of new people everyday
Pros
Great schedule
Cons
No discount lunch