Museum of Science Employee Reviews

eh
Visitor Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 14, 2017
pay was great
its hard to get promotions
management treats you like a baby
lunch in 30mins
NEVER have enough staff
supervisors do nothing while everyone else works hard
Love working here
SOCIAL MEDIA SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 7, 2017
Working at the Museum has been a wonderful experience. My work-life balance is great and the job culture is enjoyable. I would recommend this institution for most anyone to work at.
Great overall place to work
Account Manager, Corporate Sales & Events (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 29, 2017
Great overall benefits (vacation, healthcare, etc) but low pay. Overall the Museum is a great place to work and many people have been there 15-20 years. Not a lot of growth potential unless you want to move between departments.
Engaging and Supportive Museum with great benefits
Summer Courses Instructor (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 20, 2017
I love working at the Museum of Science. The education department is close-knit and helpful. You really feel like you're working in a special place that is making chances in the community. You also get free or reduced tickets to other great museums and cultural attractions in the area.
Better than Retail
Lobby Attendant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 27, 2016
Since I was a volunteer in Museum of Science too, I know most of the information and the transition is easier for me. I stood most of the time in the Lobby with either too busy that makes you choke or a slow day that feels good because of being paid. However, this job has no benefits and I did it through a temporary agency.
Visitor Service Representative
Visitor Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 2, 2016
The position I worked was basically a jack of all trades position. I worked as a cashier/monitor/greeter. The overall environment was great with the general public. I did feel like the work environment was both unprofessional, and hostile.
Pros
Pick up hours
Benefits
Great place to work!
Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 26, 2016
Working at the Mos Boston was a great experience. All of the staff from volunteers to management have great attitudes and are very nice. The work can be demanding at times but it's always interesting especially if you're really into science. The best part is probably the diversity, you meet people from all over the world both coworkers and guest alike.
Pros
Fun. Exciting. Interesting. Good pay. Room for growth
Cons
Occasional language barrier for those who are not bi/multilingual.
Fun place to work at!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 5, 2015
I enjoy the most when the children were in the museum.
showing kids the toys we sell in the gift shop.
employees were fun to work with.
Pros
Kids
Cons
management
Outgoing and responsible worker.
Visitor Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 12, 2015
I have been at my workplace for 13 years. The benefits are good, and it's a busy place to work in. Never a dull moment. My co workers and managers are great. The hardest part of the job is when it's a school vacation week and we are busy, and we usually get visitors that are just hard to deal with.
Very supportive and fun place to get started as a graphic designer.
graphic design intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 25, 2014
I worked with very talented and experienced designers. Got to experience every day life of a busy graphics department for a major Museum in Boston.
Educative and fun workplace
SciCORE Courses Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 19, 2014
The Museum dedicates itself to teaching people of all ages about science. It is a fun place to work and you gain skills such as teamwork, patience, confidence, and communication. In a usual work day I would arrive early to check in and wait for early campers to be dropped off. I would check in each camper as they arrived and make sure they got to the room they needed to be in. Each week I was assigned to a different classroom as a helper and aid to the campers as they performed science experiments. There would be an outdoor break for lunch that I would supervise and sometimes work handing out snacks. At the end of the day I would make sure each child was picked up by their parent and would wait with the campers whose parents were late. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with all the children and teaching them new things about science. The hardest part was learning a sense of responsibility for so many children at once. Overall it was a wonderful first work experience that taught me many valuable skills I can apply to any job.
Always interesting and exciting
Curatorial Asst Butterfly Garden & Visitor Srv Rep (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 24, 2014
For me, working in a greenhouse that overlooks the Charles River, while being surrounded by tropical butterflies is an amazing work space. All the exposure to the public while working at the Museum taught me that I am truly a people person. My favorite part of the job was working with the elementary school groups and seeing the little awe-struck faces as the kids learned something new. The hardest part of the job were the hours: nights, weekends, holidays; the museum is always open.
Pros
highly educational workspace, felt like I was making a difference
Cons
low wages (non-profit), not much room for growth
Well its the Museum of Science...
VISITOR SERVICE REP (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 10, 2014
Pretty mind blowing job at first. Seeing all that the museum has to offer when first working is incredible. After the first week or two the luster just begins to fade. Seeing the same exhibits and same faces just made the job less interesting. Nobody was very helpful or very insightful when working together. Just was a seasonal job and actually happy it was just that.
Pros
Amazing location area by the Charles River
Excellent volunteer position
Membership Sales (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 7, 2014
Treat volunteers with lots of respect and that they are appreciated. Not a good employer where volunteer position becomes paid position.
Loved working at the museum.
Stand guard (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 5, 2014
Although it was a temporary position, I enjoyed the work. I became a useful asset for the security department during my time there.
Productive and influential work enivronment
Human Body Connection Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 19, 2013
Each day I worked at the Museum of Science was an unforgettable experience. The visitors were always intrigued to hear what I had to say as an interpreter. Educating tourists of all ages was a main component of my job as well as being able to share an amazing museum experience with them. Each week there were new exhibits opening up and being an interpreter I had the first hand to understand what it was all about.
A Fun Place to Work
Technical Services Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 11, 2013
Overall, I loved working for the MOS. The atmosphere was always fun. It is a great place to work when you are in College or High School.
Challenging workplace with ups and downs, mediocre pay with great benefits, low growth potential
Web & Interactive Developer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 9, 2013
Most days were about eight hours, but some projects would require long nights and weekends. Most days had one or two meetings.

Different departments have very different environments. Some are bright, some are dank. Some are loud with office chatter, while some barely talk to each other. It really depends on the department.

Co-workers run the gamut, but as an institution it is relatively diverse. A handful of people have been there for decades, but most are within the five year range.

The hardest part was working in an environment that struggles with collaboration between individuals and departments. It often impacted morale and productivity.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to be make significant contributions to large projects and all of the fun that is part of a science museum and most co-workers were a joy to be around.
Pros
Meaningful work, great benefits for full-time exempt employees, opportunity to be a part of large projects
Cons
Crowded office spaces, inter-department bickering, lower than industry ave. pay, limited growth
Great place to learn new skills and meet people
Senior Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 15, 2013
This was a great job that allowed me to learn new skills, and gave me the freedom and flexibility to pursue projects that I wanted to do (such as analyzing back data for a paper and presentation). Highly recommended.
Fun Workplace
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMarch 5, 2013
Cleaning up toys and socializing with the customers. Learned how to make visual displays. The En company was very nice , kept up with birthdays and gave cards. Some of my sales leads were big-headed with the authority they were given but my coworkers were nice. Having to do routine work , and having to stand on my feet 8 hours at a time. Putting smiles on the kids face made me want to come to work everyday !
Pros
hour lunch
Cons
hours got cut for part-time