MUSIC & ARTS Employee Reviews

Good
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 23, 2017
Would not recommend this place. Cut throat environment. Management is not very supportive. Very structured in the daily business so you always know what to expect and that's a good thing.
Nice Employer
Percussion Instructor (Current Employee) –  Oxon Hill, MDApril 13, 2017
Nice Employer, good location, workplace is safe and clean for students. Staff is kind, and cares about the students. work rooms are a nice size for learning.
All in all, if you love music, this is for you.
Lead Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 6, 2017
If you love music, this is one of the best music stores you can work in. Why? They've been in business since the 1950's and have incredible presence in the school system.

Company infrastructure is lackluster. Give them a couple years, and they'll be golden.
High Demand With Little Support
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 1, 2017
I prefer not to review due to the negativity that would be shed on this company. They were great to me in the beginning and provided a job but drastically changed in the past 8 months making work life unpredictable and unstable.
Wonderful environment if you love music
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Shenandoah, TXMarch 22, 2017
I had a great time working here. I left because there was no opportunity for a pay increase after I had worked there over a year. I was told that raises happen ONLY through the corporate office, which I find very unfair. My manager was amazingly professional and made working at Music & Arts a great learning experience for me. This job actually made me love retail for a little bit, although that love died as soon as I went to another retailer.
Pros
Nice atmosphere, great staff, challenging
Cons
Kids everywhere
You do nothing all day
Senior Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Lacey, WAMarch 15, 2017
Music and Arts is not a very great company, but they do pay you more than minimum wage to do not very much. Would reccommend for the desperate musicians.
A fun environment.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, GAFebruary 24, 2017
Coaching and helping musicians to further their musical experience. I enjoyed working with kids and doing outside store events such as concerts recitals.
Stupid.
violinist myself (Current Employee) –  Burlington, NCJanuary 1, 2017
This is really strange why do I need to leave a review on this site for this same job that I just did. this is stupid. can we just move on from this.
A very good experience
Temporary Associate (Former Employee) –  Bowie, MDDecember 1, 2016
Working there is so much fun but also hard work. If there is a customer in the store, that is every employee's main focus. Everyone treats each other with respect and kindness. The hardest part of the job ever would be taking down the instruments and counting all of them.
Pros
Nice enviroment
Cons
Heavy instruments
Great environment to learn about musical retail and interpersonal skills between parents, kids, and Band Directors.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNOctober 4, 2016
A typical day consisted of multiple phone calls, dozens of customer interactions, lengthy time at a computer and many times working alone to open or close the store.The hardest part of the job are the difficulties in achieving commissions and completing goals and objectives whilst dealing a with a variety of distractions. The most enjoyable part of each day was being able to listen to, learn, and enjoy the field of music.
Productive and fun work environment with great people
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Severna Park, MDSeptember 8, 2016
While the computer systems can be frustrating at times, the staff and administrators are able to maintain a easy going work environment. Most of the customers are very friendly and understanding, the company is small to it is common to form close bonds with those from other stores or departments. The company is very flexible and has many advancement opportunities.
upper management detached from reality at retail level
Guitar Instructor (Current Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAAugust 19, 2016
Upper management poor at marketing and staying competitive in growing market.

Too much concern for the bottom line and not the relationship with customers and staff.
Good start
Senior Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Timonium, MDJuly 2, 2016
Management is terrible, advancement is based on sales numbers alone. The company recently switched over to a new system, and there are a lot of frustrated customers.
Pros
You meet a lot of musicians/connections
Cons
Overworked and underpaid
Great work environment.
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 21, 2016
A pretty fun job, great work environment and great co workers as well. You'll learn a lot about music through this line of work.
Good Vibe Management Change Sucked
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCMarch 24, 2016
When I started working at this location the management was amazing, but after the left and was replaced the new manager decided to downsize and eliminate the entire part-time staff (even with record high sales). If she is still there I would not recommend it.
Honest Review
STORE SALES MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Marlton, NJNovember 2, 2015
The job can be fun and there are always great music-minded people to work with. Selling instruments to kids can be a rewarding experience.
Terrible Corporate Management
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 22, 2015
I love music, I loved working with students, and teachers to spread my love a music around the area. However, what I witnessed at Music & Arts was a systematic excision of every employee that cared about Music Education as it relates to the wider culture rather than Music Education as it relates to the bottom line of the company. Additionally, I saw a pattern of disrespect from the district and regional managers towards the ability and skill of their employees and more importantly the teachers that bring in vast majority of the money in each of the locations. Sales managers like to remind employees that they can be fired at any time, and have no problems bringing in a replacement.

I met a great many people and formed some very strong bonds with some of them, but outside of that I have a hard time reflecting positively on my time at Music & Arts.
Pros
Good experience in a sales culture, good people in the retail locations
Cons
Terrible management that regularly threatens termination to get results
Busy and Strong Sales needed
Sr. Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDOctober 9, 2015
Busy and Strong sales needed. Great work environment. Standing all day. Have to work hard to move up in the company. Requires flexibility with schedule
Benefits
Cons
overall, a very fulfilling job that helped kids through their musical journey!
Educational Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 16, 2015
Visited schools within my "territory." Serviced the teacher, school, student, and district needs as far as musical instruments, supplies etc.
Pros
Company Van, Phone, tablet
great place to work
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Burlington, NCAugust 13, 2015
great place to work. slow ramp up. decent pay. great people. learned a great deal. reached the proverbial ceiling and couldn't go any further in the company without relocation.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MUSIC & ARTS. Our community is ready to answer.