MUSIC & ARTS Employee Reviews in United States

Good Vibe Management Change Sucked
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCMarch 24, 2016
When I started working at this location the management was amazing, but after the left and was replaced the new manager decided to downsize and eliminate the entire part-time staff (even with record high sales). If she is still there I would not recommend it.
Honest Review
STORE SALES MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Marlton, NJNovember 2, 2015
The job can be fun and there are always great music-minded people to work with. Selling instruments to kids can be a rewarding experience.
Terrible Corporate Management
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 22, 2015
I love music, I loved working with students, and teachers to spread my love a music around the area. However, what I witnessed at Music & Arts was a systematic excision of every employee that cared about Music Education as it relates to the wider culture rather than Music Education as it relates to the bottom line of the company. Additionally, I saw a pattern of disrespect from the district and regional managers towards the ability and skill of their employees and more importantly the teachers that bring in vast majority of the money in each of the locations. Sales managers like to remind employees that they can be fired at any time, and have no problems bringing in a replacement.

I met a great many people and formed some very strong bonds with some of them, but outside of that I have a hard time reflecting positively on my time at Music & Arts.
Pros
Good experience in a sales culture, good people in the retail locations
Cons
Terrible management that regularly threatens termination to get results
Busy and Strong Sales needed
Sr. Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDOctober 9, 2015
Busy and Strong sales needed. Great work environment. Standing all day. Have to work hard to move up in the company. Requires flexibility with schedule
Benefits
Cons
overall, a very fulfilling job that helped kids through their musical journey!
Educational Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 16, 2015
Visited schools within my "territory." Serviced the teacher, school, student, and district needs as far as musical instruments, supplies etc.
Pros
Company Van, Phone, tablet
great place to work
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Burlington, NCAugust 13, 2015
great place to work. slow ramp up. decent pay. great people. learned a great deal. reached the proverbial ceiling and couldn't go any further in the company without relocation.
Good part time job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJune 8, 2015
This company rarely promotes employees to full time unless they might someday stay on as manager. Although most employees are musicians and the store is a fun place to work, full staff turnovers are not uncommon. Although I enjoyed my time there and always had the support of the management, I was frustrated with the confusion and commitments involved in becoming "commission eligible." No one explained the process to me until months into my employment and I never actually became certified before I had to leave.
Wonderfully fulfilling
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Avon, CTMarch 12, 2015
To be able to come into work and teach aspiring musicians was very rewarding. They had store sponsored recitals which made it easy to motivate my students!
Not your typical retail job
Senior sales associate (Current Employee) –  MDFebruary 22, 2015
Coworkers are fun, compensation is above average, schedule isn't crazy - you get your schedule a month in advance and can usually request days off. Steep learning curve for a beginning employee, especially for a non-musician; good thing company mostly hires musicians (which helps make for a fun work atmosphere). Lower management is really supportive and will go out of their way to help you; middle management doesn't really make lower employees' satisfaction a priority. There's a lot of chance of advancement, but usually it involves managing a store for a while first, and managers are radically underpaid for the amount of time they usually put into making their stores succeed. Best part of the job is talking to cool people - customers, other employees; toughest part is dealing with angry, unreasonable people.
Pros
fun coworkers, benefits available, scheduling ahead of time
Cons
little support from middle management, low pay for education level needed
Decent hours, terrible managment
Salesperson (Current Employee) –  Littleton, COFebruary 7, 2015
Management likes to give you far too much to do all while wanting you to reach your sales goal (of which is way too high when constantly understaffed). Its far too hard to reach a sales goal when they tell you to spend all day doing little tasks for the manager that they should be doing themselves. The managers don't care often, DM's are even worse and expect everything to be perfect all the time. There is little to no support from Dm's and they have a habit of hiring managers who are new (and very young) to boss around the employees who have been there for so many years, and they show zero appreciation for them. Very selfish environment.
Pros
good customer service experience
Cons
little to no support from managers
Rapid expansion for unprepared company
Full time sales associate (Former Employee) –  Newton, MANovember 18, 2014
Between the mid 1950's and 2009, the time I started my employment with Music and Arts the company consisted of 90 locations nationwide. At the time of my layoff in 2014, the company had close to 150 stores. That's an addition of 66% in 5 years done with minimal infrastructure growth which made getting things done in the individual stores harder and harder as the years went by. Aside from that, my 5 years of hard work was rewarded with $.30 of a cumulative raise. The sales associate job is commission based which is all well and good except that each month your store's goal(and therefore your personal goal) is raised by 10% regardless of any economic factors. Each month you are working your hardest to possibly make your goal and if you make it (13,000 per month on average for a full time employee) your commission is a mere 1%. You are the horse, and the carrot is about the size of a pencil and always out of reach.

As far as management above the store manager position, the name of the game has always been negative reinforcement. Very rare are managers or below given a pat on the back when it's deserved. I won't name names, but there are a few very high up employees who very obviously and without shame, do not care about the welfare or dignity of the company's direct employees or contracted teachers.

To top it off, poor employees somehow are not guaranteed to be fired when it is clearly deserved. I worked with an individual who was absolutely toxic in the workplace. This person was a security risk, someone who caused more problems everyone else had to clean up after, had an invasive
  more... personality; in short, a liability. This person was written up three times for a variety of reasons by her direct manager- and what was the District Manager's solution? To vouch for her to another region for promotion to manager just to get this person out of his hair. Why not just fire this employee as would have been logical and justified? Don't ask me-I was just a decent hard working employee totally baffled by the whole situation until they decided they didn't need my talents any longer. ..

If you choose to take employment with Music and Arts (which I strongly suggest you don't) there is an estimated 95% chance that you will be unfulfilled and looking for a job elsewhere within your first 2 years. That is, if you aren't marked for being let go before then. Apply at your own risk.
Pros
employee discount. store managers were usually very good.
Cons
pretty much everything else
Productive workplace striving for excellence.
Retail Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Bel Air, MDOctober 28, 2014
It was a great first job that taught me a lot of skills that I would need in any upcoming jobs that I plan on applying to.
Great Company with a lot of bandwidth
Retail Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Mamaroneck, NYOctober 19, 2014
This is a very strong growing company. There should be more flexibility in between management, and sales manager control. Can be top down management at times.
Pros
good business model, strong structure, availablility of product
Cons
advancement timeframes, compensation/commission issues
Productive, Looking for higher pay rate
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDJuly 2, 2014
• Answered inbound calls from customers, and processed credit card payments using the corporation’s secure payment system.
• Informed customers about the number of payments left on the contract and counseled them on ways to resolve their debt.
• Made 200 outbound calls a day concentrating on 180 days outstanding accounts. Secured payments via either credit card or negotiated payment plans.
Music & Arts
Private Instructor (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILJune 22, 2014
This music retail shop also has private instructors available to teach music lessons to children and adults.
Pros
place to teach, traffic flow
Cons
no benefits
Was a fun place to learn and grow
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VAMay 23, 2014
I started as a part time sales representative then went full time. I worked with a great team and great teachers. We provided lessons, music books, rentals and sold musical instruments. I took care of most of our private teachers that came in to get books for their students, tuition book, training representatives and inventory. loved everything about that job! it was the best first job and was sad to leave.
Good to work with professional musicians
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDMarch 18, 2014
Music Arts required a BA in Music, but I was just working toward a AA.
Awesome work place!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXFebruary 10, 2014
Cool people and amazing time spent with some employees that really care about you dwell being.
Great place, will miss my store.
Senior Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Shenandoah, TXJanuary 19, 2014
I enjoyed working here very much. There was always something to do, and I was rarely bored. You have to work hard and make calls to earn commission, but it's usually worth it. My co-workers were great, they were the best part of the job!
Pros
not boring, good people!
Cons
retail hours/pay.
Good start in music industry
Sales (Current Employee) –  USANovember 30, 2013
An excellent starting point for someone with a strong musical background and sales skills.

Typical day for a store employee is standard retail operations, but with the expectation of increased business acumen. Good management can offer and excellent learning experience and some moderate success. Bad management will make everyone's life miserable.

The hardest part of this job is dealing with the outdated technology systems in place and wearing the many "hats" required to truly serve your customer base. The most enjoyable part is working in a music store and dealing with musicians.
Pros
discounts on equipment, co-workers
Cons
middle management structure, lack of infrastructure

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MUSIC & ARTS. Our community is ready to answer.