Mutual of Omaha Employee Reviews in United States

Really not what you would expect
Manager of Information Technology (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEFebruary 16, 2016
Old Technology and Old Culture. If you have not been their 20, 30, or 40 years you do not matter. The Culture holds everything back. The individuals that have worked here so long are blind to whether or not what they are doing in technology is good or makes any sense. Systems have grown over time and are complex, old, and over customized. Downtime is acceptable and expected. There are pockets and emerging tech, however it is mostly show and no go. In general there is not a great motivator to change anything, the company is very profitable as is.
Pros
Pay is OK and Benefits
Cons
Basically everything else-Blind Culture
Great place to learn about the finance industry!
Life and Health Insurance Advisor (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIFebruary 19, 2016
This is a great firm to work for. They are fully supportive of you becoming a great agent. They work with you to come up with various strategies to engage the community in order to grow your business. However, you must be willing to put in the time and be committed to winning.
Pros
No cap on commission, and there are many types of bonuses to qualify for.
Cons
Not a salary based job.
High Stress and Unflexible
Life Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEDecember 26, 2015
Mutual of Omaha had fun initiatives and offered many benefits, however the stress of dealing with forever upset customers and having lack of organization or support from management made it extremely difficult and taxing.
Pros
Free lunches/snacks occasionally
Cons
Short breaks, lack of flexibility, unrealistic stat expectations
Fun place to work. Patients are enthusiastic and enjoyable to work with.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZOctober 2, 2015
Daily activities depend on each patient and their daily routine but fun to work with. Management worked great with me and assisted me with any needs that needed to be met in a timely manner. Very flexible hours and with great pay but no benefits. Hardest part of the job is heavy lifting and dealing with challenging patients, however you learn to deal with challenging patients to make the job easier. The flexible time management was the easiest part of the job. The management and patients worked well with me when it came to time management and work schedule. One thing the company could improve on is how the employers receive their pay checks. Pay is sent out using US postal service which takes a long time to get it. Automatic or direct deposit would be greatly appreciated.
Pros
Schedule flexibility and great pay
Cons
checks were mailed using US postal service instead of automatic pay, Sometimes pay checks did not come in a timely manner.
Data Entry position
Data Entry Operator (Former Employee) –  Blair, NEDecember 5, 2015
Analyzed and completed initial imaging data entry function on incoming correspondence and applications, entered into computer system information from life insurance applications. Occasionally provided customer service to field agents and other customers as needed.
Pros
Close to home and good benefits.
Cons
No challenges provided or encouraged.
Agent experience
insurance agent (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 2, 2015
Overall Company culture is pleasant, with training and management support. Great job for someone that can put in 40+ hours per week and is self-motivated.
Pros
no glass ceiling on salary
Cons
no health benefits
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  omaha, neOctober 20, 2015
I really enjoyed working at Mutual of Omaha. They had great benefits and really liked the people I worked with. Good facilities and lunch room.
Pros
Interesting work.
Cons
Can experience long hours.
Great place to work with great benefits
Support Service Representative (Former Employee) –  blair, neOctober 20, 2015
I loved working here, team players. Built of lot of confidence working here with public speaking, customer service. Got to travel and show a lot of my potential of how I learn quickly.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
not always secure
best company to work for
Image Clerk (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 17, 2015
very friendly and family support system in workplace. i have learned a lot on the job daily. always meet deadline and success on the job. the hardest part of the job is always common for getting claims to meet the deadline and to make sure everything is done. i enjoy the job so much because everyone is there for you or others.
benefits
Cons
Mutual was constantly evolving!
Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEDecember 8, 2015
While at Mutual I held multiple positions over the span of my career. What I learned at Mutual of Omaha taught me so much about insurance, HR, staff development and facilitation. I was fortunate enough to have some of the most supportive managers while at MOO. I have held on to a number of close friendships that are still at MOO. One of the hardest parts of my last job as an HR Specialist was to leave a company that I worked for half of my life. The most enjoyable part of the HR position was being able to assist managers in a way that was both satisfying to them and at times rewarding for the employee.
Pros
Always having the opportunity to advance.
Cons
The systems that we used for insurance was consistantly changing.
Very poor managerial setup
Rehabilitation (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMarch 24, 2015
The job itself was good and one that I did well at. However the atmosphere was the worst that I have encountered. Infighting and office politics control who was recognized and advanced. People working there getting advancement based on information they lied about on their application, such as their education. People being passed over for promotion simply because they work too hard at the job they are currently doing while those that slack off and create problems for the rest of their team are advanced because they appear to be on top of things, basically because they aren't doing their work. If you just want a job to come to, keep your head down, and punch the clock in and out this company might work for you. If you want to make something of yourself or advance you better know the right people and learn how to look good, that is what matters.
Pros
Good benefits, flexible schedule
Cons
Played favorites, advancement was not merit based
Awesome place ever to work
Sr. Teller (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXApril 4, 2016
I loved working here and still have my account here. Your co-workers become family and the love you get from management is awesome. Free lunches, Ranger tickets and Team building activities all paid for my Mutual of Omaha Bank.
Pros
Free lunches, Ranger tickets and
Cons
N/A
Recruiter
Recruiting Specialist (Current Employee) –  California City, CAJanuary 18, 2016
Company is ok, not great. New CEO, I have hope for the company. MOO needs to get up to speed with this century, they hold many older generation managers that call themselves leaders, however, they drive people out. Upper management does not embrace new ideas or thoughts, my way or the highway mentality. Culture is terrible, no room for opinions or suggestions.
Management is not good
Insurance Based Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 17, 2015
Benefits are a joke, no benefits. Management is not good. You may get paid and you may not. If you leave make sure you are not charged for rent, utilities, etc. This is not a good company to work for if you are supporting a family. The insurance products are excellent but management at this location is so bad. It is not worth the headache.
Fast paced environment working in customer service.
Group Policy Services Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEMarch 6, 2015
There isn't a typical day in this position. Customer Service dictates my day. I deal with elevated issues, and support a team of 18 associates, with four different job grades.I manage relationships in the eastern region, about 11 offices combined, assist with educating new sales reps and work directly with regional managers.
I have a great team with a lot of talent. My co-workers are also wonderful. I would say the management is lacking of trust.
The hardest part of my day is my 100 mile commute round trip.
The most enjoyable part of my day is my interaction with my team. They are truly wonderful!
Pros
great benefits
Cons
commute, no work from home as a manager
enjoyable call center job
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMarch 8, 2016
take calls from customer's about their medicare needs, I loved working with my co-workers, hard part was long hours and not enough people
Pros
health care
Cons
long hours, not enough staff
Positive
Agency Sales Director (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 4, 2016
The Mutual of Omaha is a solid company, that can give you one of the highest contracts for insurance on the market. Just make sure, you're fine with handling most of the application work.
Pros
management, support
Cons
nothing
Taking advantage of this opportunity
Life Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Independence, OHMay 17, 2016
When I first started as an agent I knew the sky was the limit. I also knew I had to work hard for it. No one was going to just wake up and give me anything. I followed the process Mutual teaches, I worked in the office, with the team, and in the community. I used every resource Mutual gives us, and you don't see me crying for a salary. I make more than most the people I know because I used what Mutual gave me and taught me. I love that every day is different and that I get to see my clients and work with them face-to-face. I see people crying on here about charge-backs - take advantage of being non-captive and offer other companies. That way people can shop around with you. If you're not talking to your clients, someone else is. So keep up with them. If the insurance is getting too expensive, help them find something that is not so difficult. The management and support staff is amazing - they would do and have done anything and everything for us to succeed. The Chonofsky office is great - they are the top division in Mutual and have a 5-star team in upper management. Very excited to see where my career goes!
Pros
flexible schedule, responsible for my own actions, lots of resources, great management
Cons
You use your own car/miles - but you get to write those off! (so that's really still a pro)
Great Place to work, motivating environment
Sales Representative/ Field Agent (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEDecember 30, 2015
Work alongside other representatives and financial advisers to maintain a client base and market Mutual of Omaha life insurance, long term care, and small business insurance policies to individuals across the state. Skills learned include sales/marketing, networking, and great interpersonal skills. The most difficult part was getting used to all the insurance terminology during the first few weeks of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job has to be building and maintaining relationships with clients as well as my peers and managers.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Not what it seems
Licensed Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAApril 15, 2015
Unless you are extremly good at rejection, want to work very long hours, beg for appointments, and hope to god that your prospect will buy and either be approved or not cancel the policy so that you must return ALL of your commission, then avoid ANY insurance job at all costs. They all make the great pitch (notice I do not say promise) of how much you might possibly make. A very few agents are stars; and the competition is fierce - not only in your own office, but also from overlapping areas within the same company and other companies. Sell a Medicare plan and another agent from another company comes along with a better rate? Bye, bye commission! This is a job that offers zero benefits - no paid vacation, no health insurance, no sick time. Since you are not employed by the company per se, you are responsible for all your own 1099 book keeping - but, don't make the grade and they will cancel your contract and/or not give you your renewal money, and it's commission only!
I wasn't willing to give up my life for work with very little return. The money I spent on gas, oil changes, paper, and postage alone was budget busting.
You'd better have a spouse who makes a large salary or have a large buffer/emergency account to live off of - you'll need it.
Pros
Cons
Read my review.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mutual of Omaha. Our community is ready to answer.