Muzak

Muzak Employer Reviews

Fun people to work with.
Payroll Manager (Former Employee), Fort Mill, SCJanuary 9, 2014
Pros: lunches from vendors for $5 bucks
Cons: lay offs
Very challanging, fast paced, fun. I wish they didnt have layoffs. I miss my Muzak work family.
Exciting and innovative with freedom to change and upgrade
vice president natl. sales (Former Employee), Seattle, WANovember 13, 2013
Pros: outstanding management support
Cons: travel
Budget preparation,hiring and having employees move up in the company. First class management and support with the universal goal of growing the comany and its people
Muzak is now Mood Music
Purchasing Manager (Former Employee), Elmhurst, ILNovember 7, 2013
I believe this company no longer exists as it did when I worked there. It has been many years, I can no longer speak to its culture, benefits, compensation, etc.
Poor management, great environment
Accounts Receivable Data Entry (Former Employee), Fort Mill, SCNovember 1, 2013
My department had a pretty horrible manager. I don't think it is true for the whole company, but for me it was bad. Lots of fun music events that broke up work.
Change is in the air
Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee), Fort Mill, SCJuly 11, 2013
I have worked here for almost 14 years. It has been an experience and I have learned a lot along the way. A lot of changes are occurring and more are on the way. Volume has increased, but staff has not. I used to enjoy coming to work, but it has become stressful lately, so I have learned to adjust. Sometimes, you just have to go with the flow.
It sucks
I pay its bills (Current Employee), CtMarch 5, 2013
Pros: nothing
Cons: everything
Hate it!! Sums it up! I can't deal. I Really have nothing nice to say.
Providing Customer Service Care
CLIENT RESPONSE AGENT (Former Employee), Fort Mill SC 29708March 1, 2013
A typical day was assisting inbound and outbound calls. Resolving service issues billing, technical support, and other request. We were trained to resolve any caller that needed assistance. Learned a lot of computer programs and technical support. I really enjoyed my co-workers. The hardest part of the job was a lot of meetings and I know that they – more... are needed. The best part of the my job was the work environment, everyone worked, we were like a family. – less
Fun and interesting
Customer Service (Former Employee), Fort Mill, SCFebruary 22, 2013
Pros: leaning to different types of music
Muzak is a music company and I enjoyed working there. Muzak has many different departments to enjoy. They are a very fun upbeat company.
Horrible Managment
Sales (Former Employee), Fort MillFebruary 5, 2013
Cons: very petty managers. only liked certain people and the pay was terrible
I was really happy with my job at first but then I ended up having to work for 2 people that were horrible managers one was a Regional VP and the other was a Sales Manager and now Communications person. Neither knew how to manage and NEVER did anything to help you succeed. They only liked certain people and if you weren't one of them well - tough. Glad – more... I am not there anymore. Terrible work environment. – less
Great company
Customer Service (Former Employee), Fort Mill, SCJanuary 22, 2013
Pros: building is very cool
Customer service call center, learn about music, co workers were team players.I enjoyed the music is most.
Your job will not be secure
Account Executive (Former Employee), AtlantaDecember 8, 2012
Pros: work from home.
Cons: you get in the hole even if you make your sales goals and constant scheduling/installation issues.
Very stressful job, not because of the pressure to produce sales, but because once the order was turned in, you could never be confident of the scheduling or if it would be installed as ordered. Overworked employess in Ft. Mill evidently could not keep up with work load and equipment shortages. The final blow is that I was one of 170 good people laid – more... off with no notice on 11/29/12. – less
Muzak is expensive and the workers don't know what they are doing!
Account Executive (Current Employee), Novi, MIDecember 8, 2012
Pros: expect maybe if you one of the high paid executives at the home office.
Cons: poor management, sales persons that don't know anything about music or sound systems, technicians that don't know anything about electronics or servicing them.
I've been working in Michigan for awhile now, and all I seem to get is service calls to fix a badly installed sound system. I go to some of these sites and I agree! The systems sound bad!
I found out the techs are inexperience at install AND servicing sound systems. They are hired with no previous background doing this kind of work and then they are – more... expected to train other new employees!
Muzak claims that the bad economy is the reason they are loosing clients, but if you check with these clients, you'll find out they are dropping Muzak and going with another company.
After laying off the manager here, they promoted one of the techs (young kid) that not only doesn't have any audio or satellite knownledge, but doesn't know anything about management! – less
New owner has no idea how to run that buisness.
IT (Former Employee), Fort Mill, SCNovember 29, 2012
Pros: after new owner: none
Cons: new owner.
Until the new owner took over it was a great place to work. Once Mood acquired Muzak it became a nightmare. A tyrannical like rule by fear attitude from the new owner began almost immediately. good people got fired for menial tasks not being completed on an ridiculous deadline. Even though i loved working there for almost a decade it got to the point – more... that i was throwing up my breakfast as i pulled into the parking lot. if you want a paycheck, have no self worth, and love living in fear of being fired it's the place for you. – less
Very bad run company. There is a lack of leadership and the training is absolutely horrible!
Sr. Account Executive (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OhOctober 15, 2012
Cons: training and management are horrible
Wish I never would of taken job. The job is nothing like I was told it was going to be.
Stress full job, I feel I was an exelent employee
Manager of call center (Former Employee), Dallas, TXSeptember 23, 2012
Pros: insurance benifits.
Cons: a very stress full job.
I began at the bottom as an installer & worked up to office personal. On the way, I created and managed a customer call center.
References available
great employer
Installer (Former Employee), Long Island City, NYAugust 16, 2012
Pros: fun
wonderful place to work! great co-workers.great tech and customer support.
Job is exciting
Account Executive (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYAugust 16, 2012
Pros: exciting and fast paced.
Cons: covering for others mistakes.
You can be stifled by internal teammates who are supposed to help you.
Not for Career Minded Individuals
Sales Executive (Former Employee), Fort Mill SCMay 28, 2012
Pros: get to listen to music during the day
Cons: have to clock in/out on your desk phone, even for bathroom breaks; expensive and inadequate health insurance, no 401k match
The company has terrible medical benefits, you will pay less by getting your own insurance on your own. If they aren't laying people off they are cutting pay or cutting other benefits.
They don't seem to care about keeping quality people either. The longer someone has been there the more likely they are to be ousted with the continuous rounds of layoffs – more... that they keep going through. There is no real job security.
The management team that is left isn't one that creates a culture that inspires people to stay. I know managers that grill people on their personal lives to determine how much time they are willing to sacrifice to the company. You are expected to work all hours and be on call for any thing they may need/want. Even on vacation. – less
A happy place to work.
Adminstrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXMarch 20, 2012
Pros: monthly company activities for employees.
Cons: not made for single mom
They have decent benefits along with hourly wages. Relaxed work enviroment. Great people.
Possibly a good opportunity for 2012.
Account Executive (Former Employee), FloridaJanuary 19, 2012
Pros: many positive changes coming soon, growth potential
Cons: pay was horrible, disorganization, zero feeling of employee importance
My time with Mood Media/ Muzak was interesting. I came into the job with high hopes and a passion to grow. For 7 months I busted my butt, shared numerous ideas, took part in round table discussions, drove leads through creative methods, sold above average amount of business, but really went no where. Sales people tended to be a dime a dozen as you are – more... considered a "Veteran" after only a year of employment. We were a "Media Company" selling technology but used laptops that my grandmother used in the late 90's. They also gave you the option to upgrade your Zach Morris Blackberry for an out of pocket COST!
The months I was there, there was very high turn over. I don't know anyone in my training class that is still with the company... or at least the quality sales people have left. The new VP of Sales and Marketing was not even from the same industry and incentivized everything under the sun which ultimately made the 7 products we were selling more complex. Marketing (while I was there) was non-existent. There were a handful of people in "Marketing" there that had been shuffled through different roles with Muzak throughout the years that had no real working knowledge of generating B2B leads or the process surrounding.

The biggest issue for me was the way that we were paid. Instead of giving base salaries, residual commissions and a feeling that youre working towards something...every month you got deeper and deeper into a hole due to the Draw you were set up on initially. Every month was a "clean slate" and your numbers disappeared. I also knew several sales people that sold huge deals but never saw commission due to it going towards your "debt". The comp plan will most likely evolve into something different for 2012 if youre reading this and thinking about working for Mood Media....Just make sure you ask a lot of questions and understand it fully before taking the leap.

Towards the end of 2011, Muzak had been going through a huge transition into Mood Media. Getting anything accomplished took 10 levels of approval and important drastic changes, which badly needed to be made, never got done as fast as they needed to. On the bright side, 2012 will be a huge year for this company and may be a great time for someone to come on-board if your'e willing to ride the transitional wave from old school to new school. New products, new management, new comp plans (hopefully), new laptops/ cell (hopefully), and new opportunities all around. Personally, my entrance into the company was ill timed. I am the type of person that needs continuous roll change, a feeling of self worth and the transitional period I was in felt disorganized and less about the employees best interest. I couldnt take it any longer, shared my feelings with management but they really could have cared less. I am now making triple the salary with another company. – less

About Muzak

Mood Media Corporation is an in-store media company that combines music, visual elements, and scent to get customers in the mood – Read more