MV TRANSPORTATION

MV TRANSPORTATION Employee Reviews

Over-worked, underpaid, and under appreciated
Para-Transit Operator (Former Employee) –  San FranciscoJanuary 28, 2014
At the two years I was at MV Transportation I learned and appreciated a lot. I learned that there was nothing more rewarding in life than helping people. As a Para Transit Operator my job was more than just driving a bus. Because all of my passengers were disabled either physically and/or mentally, it was my job to transport them safely to their destinations. And to provide them with the very freedom that they could not sustain on their own. And I took pride in that fact that I did my part in providing exceptional service to my passengers. I had one the best On-Time Performance ratings in my division, if not the best. My job wasn't easy, as a bus driver your life and the lives of your passengers are always at risk due to other drivers on the road. But as a Para Transit Driver you have more liability than a regular bus driver, because you are boarding people in wheelchairs or have other mobility issues. And then you factor in the terrain of driving in San Francisco can make the task more difficult at times. But in the same token driving was the best part of the job. What made the job tough was not that task at hand, but the organization (or lack of) behind it. My fellow drivers were all relatively hard working people but some didn't maintain the level of responsibility as they should to perform the job. My dispatchers, mostly were decent people, but weren't trained well. Which leads up to management, who under bid the contract with the city of San Francisco and somehow expected the city to make up the difference. They touted about a revolutionary system that was going to change  more... how effective transportation can be, trained their dispatching staff on it. But when it came time to implement it the installed an outdated version instead. They froze the pay of the dispatchers which created dissent. And forged an atmosphere that pitted the drivers and dispatchers against each other. And because of managements decisions they put our division in a hole to where its losing money and they won't own up to it. And because of their decisions it makes it unejoyable and difficult to provide a civil service.  less
Pros
driving a bus is always fun
Cons
management does not value staff
Great Shop Manager and co-workers
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKFebruary 21, 2014
I have been working in the bus repair shop since Oct. 2013 and still working there. I am responsible for all parts upkeep, sorting organizing, inventory, stocking and reporting of low inventory so as to prevent running out of needed items. I support the Shop Boss with filing, sorting and assisting in many office needs. When a part is ready for pick up, I use one of the company vehicles to run any where in Anchorage, AK or Eagle River, AK to get the parts needed. I also help in recovery and support in driving either equipment or vehicles to bus accident sights or down company vehicles. Such as when a school bus stops working on its route, I will run a rescue bus to the down bus, to keep the school bus route active. Previously I was driving the school buses on routes, one of which was a hazardous route. The biggest reason for switching to the repair shop was for furthering my job skills. I am very happy to be growing and making a difference. The hardest part of this job, is not having the full training to do mechanical work or being able to grow at this time do to lack of being hired permanently in the Part Person slot. The company has restrictions for their own reasons and they are taking a very long time to hire me. So I am working above my pay raise, for a lower wage. I am a hard worker and do not complain, but am looking for a place to grow and be treated fairly.
Pros
great people to work with and an awesome boss
Cons
low wages for the work i do.
revolving door,poor leadership, union shop
mechanic (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 14, 2015
this is a union shop so you will be put on third shift working Saturday and sunday with tue and wed as days off. paid holidays yea but you still have to go to work giving the senior mechanics the paid day off to spend with their family.the union people only work things to their advantage which is very few people and the union never discusses anything with the shop employees until after they made a decision which affect everyone . the union being the one union steward making the decisions that best suits them.working mandatory 6 days a week 6 months of the year because management can't figure out a way to get caught up. a lot of pencil whipping going on and subpar work and they cant figure out why 3 or 4 tow trucks show up everyday. they just want the work out so they don't get fined and next thing you know here comes the tow truck. the buses leave the shop and parts that were supposed to be installed are sitting on the table and just go in the trash but nobody cares. brakes go on hardware kit goes in the recycle bin. this job is a joke but it pays good. but if you don't mind the same schedule travis transit pays 6$ more per hour for the same position. Hmmm I wonder why they cant get any new employees. this place is a revolving door they cant keep employees .
Pros
great benefits
Cons
no time off, manditory 6 day work week, union only worried about themself
Summary Review
Scheduler / Dispatcher /Reservationist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 22, 2015
Working at MV Transportation was an overall great experience for me. I moved quickly learning different aspects of the company's operations and excelled at many levels. I normally sought to keep the "big picture," in focused weather I was answering phone calls, directing drivers, or organizing and structuring routes for buses, clients, and facilities. I learned from management to keep moving forward at all times. Because the company always was on a time schedule moving the schedule forward was job one. From my co-workers I learned to trust more. I was not in control of situations and many times I had to rely on the trainings that I shared with others to do the right thing and look for a positive outcome. The hardest part of this job was rescheduling clients. Every ones situation is important, just like their time, however in the course of a day sometimes things happened that impeded a timely pick up or drop off and helping someone to understand that it was not personal when this happened, that we did have their best interest in heart, and that we would do all that we could to accommodate their schedule, could be challenging. The most enjoyable part of this job is the reward of knowing you helped so many people and sometimes these people or representatives let you know that they appreciated your efforts.
A challenging, quick paced atmosphere, with great co workers.
Payroll Clerk, Dispatcher, Reservationist (Former Employee) –  Ashtabula, OhioOctober 25, 2012
I like to start my day with enthusiasm and joy, get to work a few minutes early so that I can put my personal belongings away, get my coffee, greet my co-workers, enjoying the camaraderie and also at the same time, gathering up information as to what has transpired before my arrival that requires immediate attention. Then begin my day, in the capacity that is expected of me, organizing my work to get me thru the day with efficiency and ease. MV Transit is contracted with Job and Family Services and provides transportation for needy families.
1/2 of my day as reservationist was challenging and sometimes difficult, and also very rewarding. This position requires deep concentration, utilizing excellent customer skills, planning quick and efficient times for travel, handling a 3-line telephone system, while maintaining a calm composure. My daily practice of good health, a loving and happy family, positive attitude, learning better communication skills were contributing factors to keeping a good balance during my workday.
Pros
i had changed my career from managing/cooking and gone back to an office setting, learned transportation, computer skills
Cons
getting up 4am on sat. to be on time for work
CHALLENGING, FUN, AND PRODUCTIVE!
PARA TRANSIT OPERATOR (DRIVER) (Former Employee) –  Capitol Heights, MDMarch 4, 2014
If you love hard work that is challenging, fun, and productive. This is a good place to be! Operation hours or basic 13 hours 7 days a week with exception to certain holidays.
The motivational fun part of working with this company.
As soon as you arrive to begin your shift; you are greeted by co workers and management that behave more like family. Maybe a snack and beverage is on the table for the employees. A good old fashion Employee PePP Talk making sure that each employee is properly dressed, equippted, and ready to perform their duties.
Productivity means a high regard for safety, professionalism, and on time performance. The best part of my job is providing a service and in doing so seeing the smiles on clients face when I arrive and transport them to or from each destination in a safe and timely manner.
I saved the hardest part for last. After working with co workers, management, and clients. You show up and receive word that they have passed on. Why is this hard? Because! unknowingly they are like family to!
Pros
the best part of my job is providing a service, and in doing so seeing the smiles on clients face when i arrive, and transport them to, or from each destination in a safe, and timely manner.
Cons
when someone you know pass on.
Sad work place
Former Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CaOctober 7, 2014
The "training" for MV started out long. They advertise they have Fulltime employment but you start out on the extra board as a part time employee on a fixed route. I finished training, I worked 10 hour days with no break. I decided to leave the company due to personal reasons. I asked to be transfered but the GM said I was new, and that I needed to wait after my probation, on my last day of resignation he decided to transfer me at the last minute. I ended up deciding to stick to plan A and leave the company after all and haven't received my hard copy CDL yet. MV is a fraud. Every company that trains their employees for a CDL has to process paperwork correctly through DMV. I found out they were dropped from the ETP (Employment Training Program). I've been in constant contact with DMV and they said the company has not processed their routes so it looks as if I never even went through training. All those hours wasted. I think they purposely did that to me since I decided to leave and go with another company. I've tried calling MV HR, and they're located all the way in Texas, WTF? Never returns phone calls. They fraud driver training hours, they're liars. STAY AWAY.
Pros
driving the buses
Cons
very low pay, no breaks, long splits, no communication, fraud
BEWARE of part time work becomes full time with no benefits
PT Fixed Coach Operator (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVAugust 6, 2012
Had worked for First Transit/RTC/RIDE before and was hired on with current vendor for RTC/RIDE MV Transportation company. Had advantage of knowing the routes, people, area events but that did not hold my position at this company. 90 day probation period only allows one absence and no lates/tardys. Had son collapse and end up in hospital so had to take one shift off. Read schedule wrong (had done Connect route starting at 4:10 and misread next day run of Connect route as same when realized it was 14:10 translates to 2:10. Called in at 2:06 and then was asked to work extra hours. Next day on way to required safety meeting before shift was informed I was being let go due to more than one occurance during probation period. Sad as waited three years to reapply for driving position but MV would not budge on this issue. Perfection rules and yet during initial interview was told that training is an expensive but yet with knowledge of routes and area does not help to retain my job.
Pros
happy though briefly to be part of the reno transit family again.
Cons
company takes advantage of your hours - part time is not part time and no benefits!!
mv transpo capital heights summary
Metro Access Driver (Former Employee) –  capital heights, mdSeptember 24, 2013
typical day at work began at 3am, waiting for a route assignment (8hrs). driving customers to and fro until shift ended at 1245pm or 145pm (sometimes had to do 12 hrs if i was late) learned defensive driving which improved my driving skills (skills were good already). management sucked, guy was never around, rude and disliked by many. classroom instructor was outstanding, loved that guy!!! he made sure by the time you were done the training, you knew everything you needed to know and more. great guy, older, grumpy gentleman (but a teddy bear at heart) hardest part of the job was the hours, early mornings, i'd be too tired to spend time with my kids once they got home, couldnt take them to school because i had to be there super early, couldnt pick them up because i'd be passed out sleep by the time they got home...not conducive for someone looking for a good work/life balance. most enjoyable part was meeting the nice customers and talking with them, having the freedom to drive around and see new things, shop on my downtime and learn to get around the city even more.
Pros
freedom during downtime, nice customers, ok pay
Cons
time consuming, tiring, poor management
Fast past envirnment with the ablity to multi task your duties. Friendly and helpful staff.
Supervisor Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD 21226September 14, 2012
My typical day would start at MV Transportation at 6:00 am with prioritized schedules and vehicle for each professional operator.
Schduled days I would collaborated with MTA to ensure clients were picked up and drop off on scheduled time.
Responsible for dispatching 60-120 drivers over radio and preparing daily correspondent on accidents, incidents, also disable vehicles.
For new employee I would prepared training documents from the MTA Trapeze system to help ensure that each driver received updated information needed.
Assisted Operational Manager with any special duties or projects.
Created extra schedules when needed (runs) from the Trapeze system to ensure all times and areas were covered.
The hardest part of the job was when we receive interference over the radio. Making it hard to assist operator. The best part of the job is knowing clients made it to their distination safely and on time.
Pros
assisting clients with any issues and helping operators perform their schdules smoothly.
Cons
disabled radio system or computer system down.
Avoid this slave pen
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  HyattsvilleApril 28, 2012
As a dispatcher or reservationist, you will spend more time trying to NOT get fired than any human should. Breaks are only 10 minutes, if you arrive late 2 times within your first 90 days, then you get fired.

You can't have a cell phone there, even if you just use it to check email, your schedule or just to see what time it is.

Dress code is horrible. White collared shirt with black pants. Everybody else is business casual, but you have to wear that quasi-uniform even though you don't come into visual contact with any customers.

No coffee (unless you want to catch the elevator down to the deli to pay for a cup of coffee. The break room is actually just a section of the large office without cubicles.

98% of the cubicled folk are black, and the majority of the management is white. There is very little diversity in this workplace.

There is NO sick leave until you've been there a year, at which time the federal FMLA forces the company to give you sick days. You get 14 hours of vacation for your first year. Yes, only two days of vacation.
Pros
next to a mall, and within walking distance of a metro station.
Cons
draconian rules and lack of benefits.

Comment – October 5, 2012

how much do they pay for the dispatcher position?

Fun but stressful
Dispatcher / Reservationist (Current Employee) –  Melrose Park, ILSeptember 9, 2015
MV Transportation has been a good place to work and a reliable source of income. I've acquired skills that I otherwise maynot have recieved as far as work in the transportation industry, it was definitely something different cocoming from strictly a Customer Service bacground.
My co-workers and I get along as well as can be expected. The office is small and very close therefore sometimes thing can get pretty hectic.It's busy rom the start of the day pretty much until the end of my day.
Management has changed a couple of times over the past two years but they were positive changes and I was able to adjust and do my job to the best of my ability. The hours can be extremely long some days, but the reward for accomplishing a long day is not only the pay, but knowing that you've completed the service for the company as well as for the community that you serve.
Pros
Free lunch, gift cards and being acknowledge by your management team for a job well done.
Cons
Not having enough staff to complete the task that's given to you and your team.
Productive & flexable - always completing tasks required of me.
Mail/File Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAJune 9, 2012
I opened the front desk & covered until receptionist arrived. I took care of all responsibilites delegated to me daily. When surpise shipments were requested of me, I took them on with joy & got them accomplished in a timely matter finding the economical ways to ship items. I especially enjoyed scanning & data entry into spread sheets or databases for different departments, thus giving me a chance to learn some new technics or getting to practice some I didn't use very often. I had the complete trust of my co-workers that when they asked me to do something for them that I would be able to the job correctly & they wouldn't have to redo it. Things I did were my natural talents & it was fun discovering some of them I didn't know I had. I am a Go-Do-It personality & sit down time covering the receptionist was the hardest part of my job. I always had to plan & set aside 'desk work' to have something to do when I covered that position.
Pros
having lunch time outside the office building.
Cons
needed better wage.
a place to work
Reservationist (Former Employee) –  Niles, ILOctober 15, 2013
typical day in reservations is to come in and get logged on to eh Trapeze 4 system to start accepting calls. The pace is fast and there is sometimes hardly time to be off the phone to take breaks. If there is a breakdown in the system calls are taken on paper and manually imputed into the system. Staff at times have inappropriate conversations at high decibel levels that makes it hard to complete a call. Management is present however there is no structure and most of the time they are delegated to other staff which causes conflict in the workplace or engaged in other topics. The workplace if often cold many have asked that the heat is turned on and management refused. There have been family emergencies and staff is deducted points. Staff in-services are focused on the drivers however all have to attend. I enjoyed working with the clients and providing good customer service. The staff were pleasant to train and work with however the management and morale needs improvement
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks, scattered hours
Employee care needs serious help
Mechanic "C" (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 29, 2014
The fact that I had a job that had decient pay was good. There was an incentive program for ASE ceterficates. But only four paid holidays per year is not user friendly. Also call off sick or being one minute late was a bit too extreme. to be written up and charged when one is legitmatley ill is uncalled for. I also lost desire to work overtime because my paycheck was always short and it took serious hoops to fix every time. Once or twice I could see. But once or twice was all the company got my check right in a three month period of time. Health insurance coverage for my spouse.......It shouldn't ever take so much trouble to obtain coverage. 60 days when probation is complete. Not 8 months latter. Maintenance. Get some parts in stock. missing service filters. How can you run out of engine oil. If you expect your associates to complete a deadline, give them the supplies to do the job. Concidering MV Trans responsability to the Regional Transportation Authority and the public, help is needed here.
Pros
not
Cons
listed in review
Very enjoyable working environment and working team
Executive Assistant/Administrative (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 10, 2014
In my position with this company/office my position was considered to be the central hub of the office.

Official Title was Administrative Assistant to the GM/HR but this title did not define my position.

A typical day would have me working as the liaison between the drivers and their union, and the drivers and the office staff. Assistant to the HR/Operations manager; The safety manager, The general manager, The client (TriMet), and finally the general public.

The best part of this job was the variety and the ongoing growth of the position. Every day every month my duties grew and I was learning more and more and the value of my position was held in the highest regard.

The growth in skills was remarkable and made me a better employee daily, much more than an Administrative Assistant.
Pros
the ongoing growth and development of the position
Cons
contract position caused small feeling of job security
Would not advise working there.
Para Transit Driver (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAFebruary 8, 2013
The people I worked with were great, all the drivers got a long. All new equipment. The problem is they have driver cams in all the vehicles, that go off very easily, and are supposed to be for the passengers, but are used constantly against the drivers. They call you into the office for petty little things, and make it very stressful at times to work there. Enjoyed working with my passengers but the pay is too little for the resposibility you have, your license is on the line everyday, and you had to pay all your own tickets. They go through drivers like water, a new class graduates every three weeks. They let me go for a petty thing, and then pulled my unemployment after one month, I have never heard of anyone getting unemployment from these people. They don't fire you they let you go on "administrative leave" so they don't have to pay you your unemployment.
Pros
great employees
Cons
not enough pay, management treats you very badly.
Drivers overworked, Small possibility of advancement into another position, poor management
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJuly 4, 2014
The company often ignored the Virginia Department of Transportation policy on drivers work hours of operator, I often worked more than fifteen hours days without adequate breaks in between shifts. The other drivers were always friendly however the management team was unable to communicate properly with drivers and each other. Their benefit plan was poor and was not a motivation for employees to stay with the company long term. There was also favoritism in the company so when drivers didn't always receive equal punishment for the same offense and was known for some punishments not being appropriate for the action.
Pros
in the employee lounge was plenty of couches, pool tables, and large screen tv for the comfort of the drivers.
Cons
short breaks, no retirement plan, had to work a year before earning paid time off
Sucks
A Woman (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 9, 2013
Initially an OK place to work. Eventually you come to understand that they don't really care about elderly people, special needs people or their customers or employees. The health insurance is outrageous considering the owners of this private company have a family. They only care about money. No training for employees that move up, you are as good at the IDIOTS you work with... Political. A man's world. Corporate...executives are overworked, everyone else is overworked and underpaid. Pawns to be discarded like trash to the garbage. Given F everything but they expect A+ results. Pay is 50% less than other transportation companies that are smaller???!!!!
Pros
if you are in the clique you are in no matter what bs you do including sexual harassment, theft...it just gets covered up.
Cons
health insurance, pay, training sucks, each location ran differently, you only move up if they want you too, not because you deserve it.
Company did not provide any of the employees with benefits.
Para Transit Driver (Former Employee) –  Niles, ILJuly 17, 2013
Checking the bus to make sure that everything was in order including the seat belts. Also, the bus had to be clean. Picking up seniors and make sure that they boarded the bus safe.

I learned how to respect my elders even more by working with them on a daily basis along with their disabilities.
Making sure that the seniors boarded the bus safe as well as exiting the bus.

I work with people well and help to motivate my peers when they were down and give a helping hand when ever it was needed.

Cannot express it enough that it is nothing hard about driving when you enjoy it as much as I have in my life.

Working with and meeting people of all walks of life which makes it all worth while.
Pros
company provided gifts during christmas, raffles, and trips to all employees.
Cons
no health benefits for individuals or families and un-expected days off.