MVP Health Care Employee Reviews in United States

Stability
Quality Control Coordinator/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYOctober 20, 2015
Excellent working environment, hands on management, great opportunity for advancement. I really felt like part of a winning team
great place
Quality Analyst (Former Employee) –  Tarrytown, NYAugust 26, 2015
this is where i learned team work, i was new , everyone helped me out. i learned alot from this job, mangment and co worker treated everyone as family. the hardest part was to be ontime with deliverables in a tight timeline, but overall i miss that place
Pros
everything was positive
Cons
no cons
Professional and down to earth employees
Quality Improvement Assistant for HEDIS Scanner (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJuly 21, 2015
On a typical day I would get my work from clinical review nurses and scan them into the database for the HEDIS 2015 program and for auditors to analyze these reviews from the providers of continual visits of the patients health. Filing of these reviews after all scanned into the database.

My co-workers were excellent teachers, fun, professionals and great to bond with them in all the work that we did together as a team.

There isn't anything that was hard about this position and the enjoyable part was to be on a great team and provide a different way to make all our jobs effective in a faster mode.
Pros
Recognition of all our hard work with free lunches.
Lots of overtime
Employer Account Service (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYJune 1, 2015
Great people. Would go back to work for them anytime. I would of stayed longer but got hired with another company permanent and higher pay.
Pros
Free coffee and when you do OT on Saturdays the boss usually bought breakfast.
Cons
Low pay
Productive fun work place
Mktg.Rep Facilitated enroller (Former Employee) –  East Fishkill, NYApril 14, 2015
Started at MVP in Marketing Department as Government Programs Facilitated Enroller, for Child Health Plus And Family Health Plus.
Collected necessary information to verify prospective member eligibility.Educated members how to use health plan, attended health fairs. Visited Department of Special Services for prospective members.
Got along well with Co workers
Enjoyed Employee day retreat
The hardest part of the job was getting prospective members to
gather the necessary papers to help them to qualify for the health plan.
overall i enjoyed the job.
Lost Customer Service Vision
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYNovember 12, 2014
Lost Customer Service Vision. More interested in obtaining members
then providing excellent customer service by resolving and address issues and problem effecting them.
Company will destroy your self esteem
Former employee (Former Employee) –  SchenectadyOctober 22, 2014
MVP was the place to be employed perhaps 15 years ago however dedication to this company means absolutely nothing. They will chew you up and spit you out. MVP is sinking. How many additional layoffs will occur before the end? Do yourselves a favor, update your resume and begin networking before you are laid off. Unemployment is not enough to support anyone.
Pros
met beautiful people
Cons
upper management is horrific
I was more than an employee....
Clerical/ Call (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYAugust 18, 2014
They cared a lot about their "employees" if anything we were more like family. Anytime I needed help or wanted to learn more about the other departments they gave us that freedom to do so.
Pros
activites, goals for better health
Cons
not enough work
Good Work/Life Balance, Constant Fear of Layoffs
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYJuly 7, 2014
Company looking to 'lean' operating expenses results in constant, unannounced layoffs. There is an extreme lack of transparency from Senior Leadership in terms of long term goals and 'ideal' company size.

Work/Life balance is adequate, but compensation and advancement opportunities are very poor.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
frequent layoffs, low salary, lack of vertical advancement opportunities
Unreliable
Senior Prospective Review Nurse (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYMay 27, 2014
Due to rapidly decreasing membership, MVP has become a very unstable work environment. Which has a negative effect of the morale and spirit of the company.
IT Applications Manager (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYApril 20, 2014
Great team atmosphere and willing to train employees to complete their job responsibilities. Management is supportive in day to day activities. The hardest part of the job is the demand and constant change of priorities. The most enjoyable part of the job is the co-workers and the care for the company that everyone has.
Great place to work. Enjoyed the work as well as interaction with my coworkers.
Account Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHApril 9, 2014
A typical day would involve resolving any issues that the HBA of an individual group may be having, for example, if a claim wasn't paid and it was a preventive service and should have been covered. Using MVP's internal Member Service website, I would forward the claim for review and keep the HBA informed as to progress.
My day would also include preparing Renewal Rate requests for individual large groups and forwarding these to the Underwriting department. I enjoyed interacting with clients and also my coworkers. I appreciate a sense of humor and my office had a great group of people. I learned a lot from my Manager-she has been in the insurance industry for over 20 years and helped me to gain confidence when speaking or emailing a client.
The hardest part of the job, honestly, didn't happen very often. Twice a year we had to travel to a distant location, usually about a 3-5 hour drive, for a company meeting.
I enjoyed working at MVP. I enjoyed the camaraderie in the office and I really appreciated the positive feedback I received from those clients that I helped.
Pros
my manager and coworkers
Cons
long trips to the annual and semi-annual meetings
job insecurity- low employee morale
current employee (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 10, 2014
As with most companies today, this one continues to hire, but at the same time they are laying off valuable employees. Emplyees with over 10+ years with the company with a vast amount of knowledge are being let go due to down sizing they say. This is definitely effecting the morale since they claim it's for down sizing, but hire new people for the similar positions right after letting the seasoned worker go. Hmmm... sounds like another company trying to save the almighty dollar by letting go of seasoned employees and hiring for less.

Very poor management on all levels and way to many managers in most departments. They have managers for the managers. Ridiculous.
benefits
Cons
management and job insecurity
Going out of business soon, like most dinosaur health care companies!
IT Developer (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 4, 2013
Abandon ship!

Here are the facts:

1- A recent coworker survey revealed that less than 40% of employees were satisfied with the corporate culture. Why work someplace like that?
2- In IT, there have been 8 re-orgs with the past 4 years.
3- MVP is not only bleeding top talent employees, but bleeding customers too! We went from over 750k Medical customers when I started to barely over 500k. Thus, the recently reduction in workforce and re-orgs.
4- MVP recruiters are are desperate to get bodies in the door. Ask the hiring manager if you have questions, not a dopey HR person. The IT recruiter I spoke to couldn't even give me a definition of what a server does. A true testament of what they know and their screening abilities.
5- Pay is only good because they are desperate.
6- 50+ work weeks multiple weeks in a row are not uncommon.
7- Typically, there are a lot of mid-level management positions available because they like to cut these out first, or because the smart ones leave before they do. No ladders to climb and dead end positions.
8- The only reason MVP is in business today is because they bought a successful company, Preferred Care (which they are driving into the ground), back in 2007/8.
9- All the major executives work in the Schenectady office and have GOD complexes because they work in the armpit of the state, I suppose.
10- MVP is a company that continually fails to innovate and adapt to the rapid and constantly evolving health care environment. It is a company that operates like its 1980 in the year 2013.

You may think this is a harsh review, and I ask you to take this
  more... review with a grain of salt. If you don't believe me, ask anyone that works at MVP what a horrible, horrible place it is to work.  less
Pros
dunkin donuts within walking distance
Cons
it's health care. you'll figure it out.
Provider service rep, answered calls, gave benefit info. Set up cases, Took pharmacy calls, Checked on claims , sent them back ,if not denied correct
Provider Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYOctober 27, 2013
Must be on phones at 8:30 am . Calls start coming in , Providers are calling ,to ck on claims, pharmacy, set up inpt cases. for admissions\ck benefits, ck eligibility, we work off of many different programs. Try to take calls as efficiently as possible. Some calls may be as long as a hour or so. When you check on claims, appeals and denials. Also sending remits ,and denial letters to Providers. We must follow all Hippa laws.
We have two 10 min breaks, a day 30 min for lunch. If you take a last call @ 4:30 , you need to stay on call until complete, could take a very long time .

The hardest part of the job, is that everything keeps changing every day. Each person handles call coaching differently, so you get a lot of mixed messages.

The most enjoyable part, is when you are on with a provider,You get all the information, and solve a problem , that is going on for a long time.

Most co workers are very nice, some never speak to you, You be respectable to every one .

Management is ok, We have a very nice supervisor and manager now.They are very good, but follow every bit of procedure, there is no give and take. Also ,the rules are the rules. Except for the favorites.

I follow the rules , I give 110% every day. Try my best, Sometimes , very hard place to stay positive.
Pros
we get a free lunch once a month for stats being good, very nice
Cons
so many people leaving the company, either on there own or being let go, because of mistakes, or being out to much. lots of people left on there own, due to the fact, they keep addding more and more to the job, with 22 reps not there anymore.
Nice people to work for.
Community Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYSeptember 27, 2013
Positive work environment. Great staff - very friendly and helpful. Was a nice place to work.
Pros
gym on premises, focus on healthy lifestyle
Cons
far commute
Passionate Health Insurance Company with great values.
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  New York and FloridaSeptember 4, 2013
MVP was a good environment and a great job.

The best part of my job was the people I worked with in the Human Resources office and some of the departments that I supported. I also enjoyed being able to offer external and internal candidates a new opportunity with MVP.
A typical day was reviewing e-mail to see if any new positions had been approved, so I am aware of what needs to be completed within a certain timeframe. I would also review anything that needed follow up from the day before. I would review my schedule for interviews that I would be a part of and also review the specific candidates selected.
A major portion of time was spent reviewing applicants for the jobs in which they applied. Many of the positions I covered generally had a plethora of candidates. I needed to find the best of the candidates to send to the hiring managers/supervisors.
During heavy hiring times I did spend time co filled.mpleting folders for each hired candidate. I did all the follow up in the various pre-employment screening that MVP required.
One of my busiest years I filled 163 positions. I was very proud of the sheer volume of positions
Pros
flexibility, amount of pto time
Cons
long distance supervisor with little time to develop her team.
They always have ads that they are hiring
sales (Former Employee) –  new york, nyAugust 10, 2013
MVP has a lots of ads that they are hiring. The problem is there is too much politics, and a lack of follow-through from management.
Pros
lots of ads they are hiring
Cons
too much politics. no follow-up by managers
Chaotic
PM (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYJuly 17, 2013
MVP has undergone significant change over the last few years. The outside influenced changes to the health benefits industry are significant enough, but the self inflicted issues are even greater. MVP took 5 years to integrate two companies, while a merger of equals sounds nice, in practice it meant that there were competing power centers in the organization at all levels of management, with goals, strategy and management direction changing on practically a daily basis. This was directly caused by the then-CEO spending more time fighting ACA in Washington DC and trying to play political power games, rather than focusing on effectively managing the company.

Over the past six months or so there has been significant leadership changes, it remains to be seen if this is will have a long term positive impact. In the short term, layoffs have drastically affected moral and there has been a large exodus of knowledgeable resources across the company.
Pros
nice people. if you like change, there is a lot of it.
Cons
poor management at all levels.
A productive yet challenging work environment that developed the
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYJuly 4, 2013
A typical day involved me meeting with law makers regarding health care reform. I would meet with managers and senior partners to discuss our goals for the day, week and month. The co-workers were hard working and enthusiastic. The most enjoyable part of my job was the working with such a wonderful group of individuals. They were a tight knit group that believed in one another and working together to get the job done. The hardest part was dealing with some of the upper managers who would impose upon us unrealistic demands that could not be reached and trying to compromise with them.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MVP Health Care. Our community is ready to answer.