MVP Health Care

MVP Health Care Employer Reviews

Lost Customer Service Vision
Member Service Representative (Former Employee), Schenectady, NYNovember 12, 2014
Lost Customer Service Vision. More interested in obtaining members
then providing excellent customer service by resolving and address issues and problem effecting them.
Company will destroy your self esteem
Former employee (Former Employee), SchenectadyOctober 22, 2014
Pros: met beautiful people
Cons: upper management is horrific
MVP was the place to be employed perhaps 15 years ago however dedication to this company means absolutely nothing. They will chew you up and spit you out. MVP is sinking. How many additional layoffs will occur before the end? Do yourselves a favor, update your resume and begin networking before you are laid off. Unemployment is not enough to support – more... anyone. – less
I was more than an employee....
Clerical/ Call (Former Employee), Albany, NYAugust 18, 2014
Pros: activites, goals for better health
Cons: not enough work
They cared a lot about their "employees" if anything we were more like family. Anytime I needed help or wanted to learn more about the other departments they gave us that freedom to do so.
Good Work/Life Balance, Constant Fear of Layoffs
Analyst (Current Employee), Schenectady, NYJuly 7, 2014
Pros: flexible work schedule
Cons: frequent layoffs, low salary, lack of vertical advancement opportunities
Company looking to 'lean' operating expenses results in constant, unannounced layoffs. There is an extreme lack of transparency from Senior Leadership in terms of long term goals and 'ideal' company size.

Work/Life balance is adequate, but compensation and advancement opportunities are very poor.
Unreliable
Senior Prospective Review Nurse (Former Employee), Schenectady, NYMay 27, 2014
Due to rapidly decreasing membership, MVP has become a very unstable work environment. Which has a negative effect of the morale and spirit of the company.
IT Applications Manager (Former Employee), Schenectady, NYApril 20, 2014
Great team atmosphere and willing to train employees to complete their job responsibilities. Management is supportive in day to day activities. The hardest part of the job is the demand and constant change of priorities. The most enjoyable part of the job is the co-workers and the care for the company that everyone has.
Great place to work. Enjoyed the work as well as interaction with my coworkers.
Account Coordinator (Former Employee), Manchester, NHApril 9, 2014
Pros: my manager and coworkers
Cons: long trips to the annual and semi-annual meetings
A typical day would involve resolving any issues that the HBA of an individual group may be having, for example, if a claim wasn't paid and it was a preventive service and should have been covered. Using MVP's internal Member Service website, I would forward the claim for review and keep the HBA informed as to progress.
My day would also include preparing – more... Renewal Rate requests for individual large groups and forwarding these to the Underwriting department. I enjoyed interacting with clients and also my coworkers. I appreciate a sense of humor and my office had a great group of people. I learned a lot from my Manager-she has been in the insurance industry for over 20 years and helped me to gain confidence when speaking or emailing a client.
The hardest part of the job, honestly, didn't happen very often. Twice a year we had to travel to a distant location, usually about a 3-5 hour drive, for a company meeting.
I enjoyed working at MVP. I enjoyed the camaraderie in the office and I really appreciated the positive feedback I received from those clients that I helped. – less
HR Assistant - Training (Former Employee), Rochester, NYMarch 24, 2014
Pros: fitness center, free coffee, tea, filtered water
Cons: management in their own world
Coworkers are like family. Management needs skills on handling day to day operations and communications.
job insecurity- low employee morale
current employee (Current Employee), Rochester, NYFebruary 10, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: management and job insecurity
As with most companies today, this one continues to hire, but at the same time they are laying off valuable employees. Emplyees with over 10+ years with the company with a vast amount of knowledge are being let go due to down sizing they say. This is definitely effecting the morale since they claim it's for down sizing, but hire new people for the similar – more... positions right after letting the seasoned worker go. Hmmm... sounds like another company trying to save the almighty dollar by letting go of seasoned employees and hiring for less.

Very poor management on all levels and way to many managers in most departments. They have managers for the managers. Ridiculous. – less
Going out of business soon, like most dinosaur health care companies!
IT Developer (Current Employee), Rochester, NYDecember 4, 2013
Pros: dunkin donuts within walking distance
Cons: it's health care. you'll figure it out.
Abandon ship!

Here are the facts:

1- A recent coworker survey revealed that less than 40% of employees were satisfied with the corporate culture. Why work someplace like that?
2- In IT, there have been 8 re-orgs with the past 4 years.
3- MVP is not only bleeding top talent employees, but bleeding customers too! We went from over 750k Medical customers – more... when I started to barely over 500k. Thus, the recently reduction in workforce and re-orgs.
4- MVP recruiters are are desperate to get bodies in the door. Ask the hiring manager if you have questions, not a dopey HR person. The IT recruiter I spoke to couldn't even give me a definition of what a server does. A true testament of what they know and their screening abilities.
5- Pay is only good because they are desperate.
6- 50+ work weeks multiple weeks in a row are not uncommon.
7- Typically, there are a lot of mid-level management positions available because they like to cut these out first, or because the smart ones leave before they do. No ladders to climb and dead end positions.
8- The only reason MVP is in business today is because they bought a successful company, Preferred Care (which they are driving into the ground), back in 2007/8.
9- All the major executives work in the Schenectady office and have GOD complexes because they work in the armpit of the state, I suppose.
10- MVP is a company that continually fails to innovate and adapt to the rapid and constantly evolving health care environment. It is a company that operates like its 1980 in the year 2013.

You may think this is a harsh review, and I ask you to take this review with a grain of salt. If you don't believe me, ask anyone that works at MVP what a horrible, horrible place it is to work. – less
Provider service rep, answered calls, gave benefit info. Set up cases, Took pharmacy calls, Checked on claims , sent them back ,if not denied correct
Provider Services Representative (Current Employee), Schenectady, NYOctober 27, 2013
Pros: we get a free lunch once a month for stats being good, very nice
Cons: so many people leaving the company, either on there own or being let go, because of mistakes, or being out to much. lots of people left on there own, due to the fact, they keep addding more and more to the job, with 22 reps not there anymore.
Must be on phones at 8:30 am . Calls start coming in , Providers are calling ,to ck on claims, pharmacy, set up inpt cases. for admissions\ck benefits, ck eligibility, we work off of many different programs. Try to take calls as efficiently as possible. Some calls may be as long as a hour or so. When you check on claims, appeals and denials. Also sending – more... remits ,and denial letters to Providers. We must follow all Hippa laws.
We have two 10 min breaks, a day 30 min for lunch. If you take a last call @ 4:30 , you need to stay on call until complete, could take a very long time .

The hardest part of the job, is that everything keeps changing every day. Each person handles call coaching differently, so you get a lot of mixed messages.

The most enjoyable part, is when you are on with a provider,You get all the information, and solve a problem , that is going on for a long time.

Most co workers are very nice, some never speak to you, You be respectable to every one .

Management is ok, We have a very nice supervisor and manager now.They are very good, but follow every bit of procedure, there is no give and take. Also ,the rules are the rules. Except for the favorites.

I follow the rules , I give 110% every day. Try my best, Sometimes , very hard place to stay positive. – less
Nice people to work for.
Community Relations Specialist (Former Employee), Schenectady, NYSeptember 27, 2013
Pros: gym on premises, focus on healthy lifestyle
Cons: far commute
Positive work environment. Great staff - very friendly and helpful. Was a nice place to work.
They always have ads that they are hiring
sales (Former Employee), new york, nyAugust 10, 2013
Pros: lots of ads they are hiring
Cons: too much politics. no follow-up by managers
MVP has a lots of ads that they are hiring. The problem is there is too much politics, and a lack of follow-through from management.
Chaotic
PM (Former Employee), Schenectady, NYJuly 17, 2013
Pros: nice people. if you like change, there is a lot of it.
Cons: poor management at all levels.
MVP has undergone significant change over the last few years. The outside influenced changes to the health benefits industry are significant enough, but the self inflicted issues are even greater. MVP took 5 years to integrate two companies, while a merger of equals sounds nice, in practice it meant that there were competing power centers in the organization – more... at all levels of management, with goals, strategy and management direction changing on practically a daily basis. This was directly caused by the then-CEO spending more time fighting ACA in Washington DC and trying to play political power games, rather than focusing on effectively managing the company.

Over the past six months or so there has been significant leadership changes, it remains to be seen if this is will have a long term positive impact. In the short term, layoffs have drastically affected moral and there has been a large exodus of knowledgeable resources across the company. – less
A productive yet challenging work environment that developed the
Account Manager (Former Employee), Schenectady, NYJuly 4, 2013
A typical day involved me meeting with law makers regarding health care reform. I would meet with managers and senior partners to discuss our goals for the day, week and month. The co-workers were hard working and enthusiastic. The most enjoyable part of my job was the working with such a wonderful group of individuals. They were a tight knit group – more... that believed in one another and working together to get the job done. The hardest part was dealing with some of the upper managers who would impose upon us unrealistic demands that could not be reached and trying to compromise with them. – less
excessive unwarranted micromanagement
informatin technology (Current Employee), rochesterMay 22, 2013
Pros: vacation time, free workout room
Cons: poor management in too many departments
Wonderful people throughout the company. Unfortunately good employees are brutally micro-managed unnecessarily. Some managers are absolute bullies. There are a handful of amazing managers that actually work and step up to the role of true leadership in times of crisis.
Forward-thinking company with great work-life.
IT Procurement/Contract Analyst (Former Employee), Schenectady, NYMay 5, 2013
Pros: gym, cafeteria, modern facilities, quality employees
Cons: job security, hectic market.
Enormous changes in healthcare market makes for horrible job security.
Productive, fun place to work, on site gym.
RN Case Manager (Current Employee), Schenectady, New YorkApril 14, 2013
Pros: work environment, ability to work from home.
Cons: limited opportunities for ot.
Most days busy require ability to multi-task. The company has provided considerable amount of,on site and off site training. Supervisors are great if you have an appointment and need to readjust schedule to accommodate work home life!
Great unit/team morale. Supervisors & Associate Division Director out in unit multiple times daily if you have questions. – more... Many resources if you need them. Overall culture of wellness and inclusion of all staff.
Have current IT software/Hardware needed to perform job.
Many opportunities for advancement. – less
In process of organizational changes.
Senior Analyst (Former Employee), Rochester, NYFebruary 15, 2013
Enterprise that is novice in establishing processes and adhereing to best practices.
Productive and fast pace workplace
Approval Call Service Rep (Temp) (Former Employee), Rochester, NYFebruary 4, 2013
• Interprets MVP contracts, riders, policies, and procedures
• Received calls and written request from providers and other departments regarding authorization issues
• Researched questions and concerns from vendors requiring written & phone authorizations
• Makes outgoing calls to provide members/providers with determinations (i.e. authorization numbers) – more... or request additional information (i.e. operative reports)
• Received and data enters authorization information on a daily basis. Produced and sent system generated correspondence indicating authorization determination to members and/or providers
• Performs copying, filing, faxing and other clerical duties as needed by the department
• Strictly maintains the confidentiality of member and provider information

The people that I worked with were very welcoming and always willing to help. This was a great company to work for. I really enjoyed it. – less

About MVP Health Care

MVP Health Plan covers about 650,000 most valuable people. Also known as MVP Health Care, the company provides health insurance – Read more

MVP Health Care Photos