MVP Health Care Employee Reviews

They always have ads that they are hiring
sales (Former Employee) –  new york, nyAugust 10, 2013
MVP has a lots of ads that they are hiring. The problem is there is too much politics, and a lack of follow-through from management.
Pros
Lots of ads they are hiring
Cons
Too much politics. No follow-up by managers
Lots of overtime
Employer Account Service (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYJune 1, 2015
Great people. Would go back to work for them anytime. I would of stayed longer but got hired with another company permanent and higher pay.
Pros
Free coffee and when you do OT on Saturdays the boss usually bought breakfast.
Cons
Low pay
Great place to work. Enjoyed the work as well as interaction with my coworkers.
Account Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHApril 9, 2014
A typical day would involve resolving any issues that the HBA of an individual group may be having, for example, if a claim wasn't paid and it was a preventive service and should have been covered. Using MVP's internal Member Service website, I would forward the claim for review and keep the HBA informed as to progress.
My day would also include preparing Renewal Rate requests for individual large groups and forwarding these to the Underwriting department. I enjoyed interacting with clients and also my coworkers. I appreciate a sense of humor and my office had a great group of people. I learned a lot from my Manager-she has been in the insurance industry for over 20 years and helped me to gain confidence when speaking or emailing a client.
The hardest part of the job, honestly, didn't happen very often. Twice a year we had to travel to a distant location, usually about a 3-5 hour drive, for a company meeting.
I enjoyed working at MVP. I enjoyed the camaraderie in the office and I really appreciated the positive feedback I received from those clients that I helped.
Pros
My manager and coworkers
Cons
Long trips to the annual and semi-annual meetings
Forward-thinking company with great work-life.
IT Procurement/Contract Analyst (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYMay 5, 2013
Enormous changes in healthcare market makes for horrible job security.
Pros
Gym, cafeteria, modern facilities, quality employees
Cons
Job security, hectic market.
Passionate Health Insurance Company with great values.
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  New York and FloridaSeptember 4, 2013
MVP was a good environment and a great job.

The best part of my job was the people I worked with in the Human Resources office and some of the departments that I supported. I also enjoyed being able to offer external and internal candidates a new opportunity with MVP.
A typical day was reviewing e-mail to see if any new positions had been approved, so I am aware of what needs to be completed within a certain timeframe. I would also review anything that needed follow up from the day before. I would review my schedule for interviews that I would be a part of and also review the specific candidates selected.
A major portion of time was spent reviewing applicants for the jobs in which they applied. Many of the positions I covered generally had a plethora of candidates. I needed to find the best of the candidates to send to the hiring managers/supervisors.
During heavy hiring times I did spend time co filled.mpleting folders for each hired candidate. I did all the follow up in the various pre-employment screening that MVP required.
One of my busiest years I filled 163 positions. I was very proud of the sheer volume of positions
Pros
Flexibility, amount of PTO time
Cons
Long distance supervisor with little time to develop her team.
HR Assistant - Training (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 24, 2014
Coworkers are like family. Management needs skills on handling day to day operations and communications.
Pros
Fitness center, free coffee, tea, filtered water
Cons
management in their own world
MVP has many talented and friendly staff, great and enjoyable place to work
IT Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYMarch 26, 2012
Elicit requirements using interviews, document analysis, requirements workshops, surveys, site visits, business process descriptions, use cases, scenarios, business analysis, task and workflow analysis.
Critically evaluate information gathered from multiple sources, reconcile conflicts, decompose high-level information into details.
Proactively communicate and collaborate with external and internal customers to analyze information needs and functional requirements as needed.
Utilize your experience in using enterprise-wide requirements definition and management systems and methodologies required.
Successfully engage in multiple initiatives simultaneously
Work independently with users to define concepts and under direction of project managers
Drive and challenge business units on their assumptions of how they will successfully execute their plans
Serve as the conduit between the customer community (internal and external customers) and the software development team through which requirements flow.
Develop requirements specifications according to standard templates, using natural language.
Collaborate with developers and subject matter experts.
Be the liaison between the business units, technology teams and support teams.
Pros
great people, opportunity for additional / advanced training
Cons
in expericienced management, lack of accountibility, it area is currently process bound.
Going out of business soon, like most dinosaur health care companies!
IT Developer (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 4, 2013
Abandon ship!

Here are the facts:

1- A recent coworker survey revealed that less than 40% of employees were satisfied with the corporate culture. Why work someplace like that?
2- In IT, there have been 8 re-orgs with the past 4 years.
3- MVP is not only bleeding top talent employees, but bleeding customers too! We went from over 750k Medical customers when I started to barely over 500k. Thus, the recently reduction in workforce and re-orgs.
4- MVP recruiters are are desperate to get bodies in the door. Ask the hiring manager if you have questions, not a dopey HR person. The IT recruiter I spoke to couldn't even give me a definition of what a server does. A true testament of what they know and their screening abilities.
5- Pay is only good because they are desperate.
6- 50+ work weeks multiple weeks in a row are not uncommon.
7- Typically, there are a lot of mid-level management positions available because they like to cut these out first, or because the smart ones leave before they do. No ladders to climb and dead end positions.
8- The only reason MVP is in business today is because they bought a successful company, Preferred Care (which they are driving into the ground), back in 2007/8.
9- All the major executives work in the Schenectady office and have GOD complexes because they work in the armpit of the state, I suppose.
10- MVP is a company that continually fails to innovate and adapt to the rapid and constantly evolving health care environment. It is a company that operates like its 1980 in the year 2013.

You may think this is a harsh review, and I ask
  more... you to take this review with a grain of salt. If you don't believe me, ask anyone that works at MVP what a horrible, horrible place it is to work.  less
Pros
Dunkin Donuts within walking distance
Cons
It's health care. You'll figure it out.
I was more than an employee....
Clerical/ Call (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYAugust 18, 2014
They cared a lot about their "employees" if anything we were more like family. Anytime I needed help or wanted to learn more about the other departments they gave us that freedom to do so.
Pros
activites, goals for better health
Cons
not enough work
Coworkers can be Family to
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYMay 7, 2012
I love the family oriented environment that coworkers create with each other. Work is technically your second home.
Pros
annual bonus, monthly lunches, team meetings
Cons
break schedule
Lost Customer Service Vision
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYNovember 12, 2014
Lost Customer Service Vision. More interested in obtaining members
then providing excellent customer service by resolving and address issues and problem effecting them.
Nice people to work for.
Community Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYSeptember 27, 2013
Positive work environment. Great staff - very friendly and helpful. Was a nice place to work.
Pros
Gym on premises, focus on healthy lifestyle
Cons
far commute
Unreliable
Senior Prospective Review Nurse (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYMay 27, 2014
Due to rapidly decreasing membership, MVP has become a very unstable work environment. Which has a negative effect of the morale and spirit of the company.
Soul-crushing place to work
IT (Former Employee) –  Schneectady, NYMay 29, 2012
This should be a great place to work, the offices are nice and there's free parking. But it's not. Working in IT was one of the worst experiences of my life, senior management undermines middle managers, office politics and petty gossip are the order of the day. Forget process, efficiency, or doing whats right for the company. IT is run by old timers who have been there 20 years and don't listen to anyone new, they resent newcomers and do everything to destroy them. Constant infighting, petty bickering and complaining. High turnover, though thats slowed down with the bad economy. If you take a job here, keep opinions to yourself, always remember, facts don't matter, only the "chiefs" as they call themselves (some kidn of half-aXXed VP positino) opinions matter, right or wrong. Comapny has tons of money and spends freely on IT, way overboard really highly wasteful spending. But they pay high salaries and its easy to negotiate higher, the HR depmt is clueless and think what IT does is magical and justifies high pay. IT is seen rightfully as super hard and unpleasant to deal with and theres major friction on projects. Company struggles to install enterprise systems due to poor PM skills and bad attitutdes of IT people. Some IT are really good and dedicated but there are so many bad apples the whole place stinks. Even low level jobs are paid way over market. Any real skills like DW or middleware, six figures is easy. Certifications have no value here. Previous "healthcare experince" is almost prerequisite, even though its not really "healthcare" that they do, this business is processing  more... insurance claims, dion't let them try to convince you otehrwise. Nothing noble, nothing important, just claims, same as tons of otehr companys. Best bet is to beblow one of the chiefs then you do Ok, as many before have done. Watch out for reorganization, which they do regularly as a way to get rid of unfavored (note I didn't say unqualified) people every once a while. Any dept other than IT should be Ok, I hear good things. Tehre's a good gym too. This my opnion only, possible someone else could have much better experience but after 11 years listening to just nonstop bitter complaining and whining from coworkers, I doubt it. Recommend to avoid this place at least until they get some grown ups (I dno't mean fogies, many of these guys are in 60's but have brain of teenagers) t orun the place. disappointing regretful experience.  less
Pros
free coffee, some nice lookiing ladies
Cons
being treated so poorly for so long
In process of organizational changes.
Senior Analyst (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 15, 2013
Enterprise that is novice in establishing processes and adhereing to best practices.
Good Opportunity
HR Rep/Technical Recruiter - Talent Acquisition (Current Employee) –  New YorkApril 27, 2012
Good company with alot of opportunity. Alot to do and alot to learn about health care