Public Relations Coordinator
New York State Correctional Officers & Police Benevolent Assoc. (NYSCOPBA)
NYSCOPBA is the NYS Corrections/Law Enforcement Union and is recruiting applicants for the position of Public Relations Coordinator. Salary is commensurate with experience.
The Public Relations Coordinator will be responsible for assisting in the implementation of public relations activities and events to help promote and support the objectives and business goals of the organization including:
- Support of public relations activities including updating media lists, writing and distributing press materials, distributing media coverage reports, and fielding incoming media inquiries.
- Coordination of Public Relations events and, when appropriate, provide on-site PR staff support.
- Draft pitch letters, media advisories, press releases, photo captions and other forms of media correspondence.
- Distribute press releases internally and externally via wire services.
- Support daily media relations activities including outreach to target media and monitoring sites, blogs, and other social media outlets.
- Execute daily PR responsibilities such as monitoring the PR account/ budget, compiling Daily News Summary, and manage target media lists.
- Responsible for coordination of all media relations including securing media placement.
- Work closely with NYSCOPBA’s Executive Board to advance communication to union members.
- Proactively promote NYSCOPBA’s brand, raising awareness of the services our members provide as well as day-to-day risks members face.
- Highlight the good work of NYSCOPBA and its members statewide as well as regionally.
- Additional writing/ editing of general office correspondence and organizational newsletter as needed.
- This position requires some travel.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) or equivalent work experience.
- Three to five years progressive professional experience in journalism, communications, or public relations with writing and editing responsibilities.
- Exceptional writing and editing ability.
- Knowledge of Associate Press style and standards.
- Ability to effectively present information and cogently respond to questions.
- Ability to brainstorm and collaborate with internal clients to help in the early stages of product, policy, or event development.
- Excellent writing, communication, presentation and time management skills.
- Able to manage multiple priorities and tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated history of relationship with media members.
How TO APPLY:
Qualified candidates should mail or email a cover letter and resume to:
Mail: Vinny Blasio, NYSCOPBA Recording Secretary,
102 Hackett Blvd.,
Albany, NY 12209
Please respond by August 19, 2013