NASH FINCH Employee Reviews

Was very productive and great brake rooms
Order Filler (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GAJanuary 10, 2017
Always check forklifts learned order all management were some what fair co-workers were hard workers no hard part no enjoyable part always on time
Pros
Great Co-workers
Cons
Short brakes
Great place to work, great pay, applications development rewarding
Computer Programmer / Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edina, MNJune 8, 2016
Typical day at work entails meeting for project initiatives, application development for service requests, and employee interaction for development tasks. I enjoyed the clean, comfortable environment and the acceptable level of challenge for applications development. Coworkers can be angry or evasive, but leadership does the job well of managing personnel and bringing in new talent and also providing incentives for current talent to grow their careers within the company. People can sometimes be perpetually disgruntled which makes the job less engaging. The most enjoyable day on the job has one or two meetings for project efforts included and development work in between. Good people overall, though people are sometimes critical to a fault without just consideration of the effort peers contribute to a collective development goal.
Pros
Great workplace and application tools
Cons
People can be snobby and disgruntled even when they are handsomely compensated for their time.
Good company
Truck Unloader (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 29, 2016
Production, loading, dealing with products sold, working closely with co-workers, good benefits and employee satisfaction, would work there again if given the opportunity
Culture is very important, and involvment with most employees is the strong suit of the company.
Area Manager (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INOctober 15, 2015
Nash Finch merged with Spartan Foods to create the newly formed SpartanNash in 2013. The culture of both companies appear to very closely matched, making the transition with most employees very smooth. I have worked in many areas of the company and would say compensation is average or slightly better than average for all of the positions I am familiar with. As the business continues to evolve, it appears adavancement opportunities are slowly diminishing. My co-workers have always been excellent, which says a lot about the culture, and many have stayed loyal for 20, 30, or 40+ years.
Pros
A vast array of positions withing the company.
Cons
Difficult knowing "Nash Finch" is gone.
Another productive place that management likes it when they're employer's work hard.
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INJune 28, 2016
Again I liked this job for the most part. I like how they gave me an opportunity to work for them, but they can seem dysfunctional at times, or un-organized. I was a custodian for them for the most part, but someone kept trying to argue with me and they'd have me work with him every other day so I got tired of that part pretty quickly. Whenever I didn't have to work with him I enjoyed it though,
Pros
Most of the people there are friendly and hard working, Usually a serious place, They pay their eployees well
Cons
No air conditioning in the warehouse, dont like being a custodian, didnt enjoy being in the freezer part.
Love my job
Warehouse Technician (Current Employee) –  Midland gaOctober 26, 2016
Loader. . An unloader warehouse specialist. . Handle inventory.. break down pallets. . Operating fork lifts and pallet Jacks order selector. . Filling orders..
Enjoyable place to work with many very professional and hard working associates.
Bakery Deli Specialist (Former Employee) –  MinneapolisApril 8, 2015
I would work on established priority stores as well as the day to day monitoring of store metrics.

I learned how to make a unit profitable and where to look when results were not satisfactory.

Most management were great to work with but as with all places, a few personalities cold be difficult. Coping with those few were the most difficult part of the job.

I enjoyed most of my co-workers and have stayed in contact with them.

The most enjoyable part of my job was to identify strong performers, training them, promoting them, and then watching them grow and blossom into their new positions. I also loved the personal interaction with our customers.
Pros
Competative pay and good benefits.
Cons
Sometimes corporate egos were difficult to work with
Just say no
warehouse associate (Current Employee) –  norfolk,VaJuly 11, 2013
I have been with this company since it was MDV, new management team do not listen to the employees. I have seen people work 16 hours straight and still cant go home. We now have to work all holidays that we use to have off. No profit sharing or raises this year. We have people that have been here 10 and 30 years but they go outside the company to hire supervisors who we have to train then they leave with the experience. If they don't like you, you will not advance.
Pros
pay
Cons
bad management
Store Director
Store Director/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Moorhead, MN 56560June 18, 2016
Fast paced work environment with many challenges. Ability to work with numerous individuals at once to achieve a common goal is a must. Ability to react professionally to multiple customer/employee situations.
Pros
working with people
Cons
Nights, weekends, and holidays.
Worse company ever.. Only there for compab
Hourly (Former Employee) –  Virginia July 21, 2013
You are only a number. You will be hired has hourly or salary .. No future or advancement with this company. They beat their employees mentally and HR is for management only hourlies have to call hotline for answers . Never recommend this place to no one.. Horrible turnover rate even had 8 supervisors in 6 months..
Pros
Cons
Company in itself
Great company and great people to work with
Grocery Manager (Former Employee) –  Red Wing, MNSeptember 25, 2015
Nothing but positive things to say. Clean environment, well organized, decent benefits. Management cares about it's employees and goes the extra mile to take care of them.
Pros
Great hours
Cons
Pay could be better
Productive workplace
Meat Cutter (Current Employee) –  New richmond, WIFebruary 29, 2012
Invest in training and enabling people. Lead by example. Try to eliminate the politics, and concentrate on fixing the problems. Demand standards and consistency. Encourage true leadership - not just people who nod in approval.

Lots of projects that involve cross functional interaction help you learn about many disciplines like merchandising, finance, distribution, etc.
Pros
opportunities exist for career development.
Cons
communication downward can be a bit lagging, but very comparable to most larger companies.
Great Work Life Balance
Contrac Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Atlanta (Virtual)November 29, 2012
Nash Finch has a great culture for work life balance. I worked 100 percent virtual while there. It was a very production driver job. In which I had to produce results each week for candidates placed and report this information to my manager. My manager was very hands off but supportive when I needed her. She seemed to be focused on the results I produced opposed to how they were produced. I learned a lot about food distribution and the transportation industry while working there.
Poorly managed, vindicative atmosphere
GREAT LAKES REGIONAL FRESH BEEF BUYER (Former Employee) –  Lima, OHSeptember 18, 2013
Poorly managed. Management tend to look for blame rather than solutions and progress.
Pros
Salary/Benefits were ok
Cons
Terrible work/life balance. Best for someone who is single and no family
great place to work
truck driver (Former Employee) –  Lima, OHMay 22, 2016
great workplace they take care of employees love going to stores and meeting people unloaded trailer as needed cooperate with store to get unloaded
Average warehouse
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Westville, INSeptember 25, 2012
Good place to learn every aspect of a warehouse and it's functions; excellent place to become an expert forklift driver due to having to maneuver in such cramped areas. Due to poor management job security did not exist. Poor employee utilization resulted in infinite mandatory overtime, taking you away from your family every day.
Clear expectations
Selector (Former Employee) –  Lima, OHAugust 16, 2012
Receive shipping orders
Load pallets, and operate a pallet jack or fork-lift
You knew where you stood with management
I was a part time employee so I didn't get the same perks as full time
Rewarded for hard work with incentive pay
Pros
great money for my education at the time, tested new voice software
Cons
limited opportunity for advancement
Productive and fun place to work.
Data Entry Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Edina, MNJuly 8, 2013
I would enter UPC codes and/or item codes of food and non-food grocery products into the computer system in order to create a food expo book that was being held in the fall. I learned how to use Lotus Notes for the first time. There were also two other women who were working as temps there. We all got along great. Management was very helpful with giving help. The hardest part of the job was we were learning how to use software that the company had had for 10 years for a new purpose. The most enjoyable part of the job was the friendliness of everyone that worked there, both long-time and temporary employees.
Pros
Periodically get free breakfast or lunch. Very friendly and helpful staff.
Cons
No healthcare but only because my job was temporary, The drive home could be long because of traffic.
Good place to work ifyou don't ever want to move up in a company
ORDER PULLER (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GAMay 1, 2013
I enjoyed working there until I found out exactly how the company was. I can't speak on every Nash Finch in the country, but for the one where I worked was terrible with their management.
Pros
The money, benefits
Cons
Management, work days, and time you get off of work
Great working environment, team oriented, well organized company.
Mailroom Associate (Former Employee) –  Edina, MNOctober 7, 2013
* Duties sorting incoming and outgoing mail. Distribute mail to appropriate flrs. Ready out going mail for shipping, USPO and UPS with right labeling and postal regulations. Operate b/w and color copier. Maintain copiers on upper flrs.
* Learned to improved my organizational skills.
* Good management, very helpful
* Co-works at company worked very well in all departments.
* In fast pace working environment you have to multitask and prioritize your day.
* Enjoyable part of job was when company had days where they would have get together with all employees to meet and mingle with your co-workers.
Pros
People I worked with in all department that worked well together.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NASH FINCH. Our community is ready to answer.