NASH FINCH Employee Reviews in United States

Culture is very important, and involvment with most employees is the strong suit of the company.
Area Manager (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INOctober 15, 2015
Nash Finch merged with Spartan Foods to create the newly formed SpartanNash in 2013. The culture of both companies appear to very closely matched, making the transition with most employees very smooth. I have worked in many areas of the company and would say compensation is average or slightly better than average for all of the positions I am familiar with. As the business continues to evolve, it appears adavancement opportunities are slowly diminishing. My co-workers have always been excellent, which says a lot about the culture, and many have stayed loyal for 20, 30, or 40+ years.
Pros
A vast array of positions withing the company.
Cons
Difficult knowing "Nash Finch" is gone.
Great company and great people to work with
Grocery Manager (Former Employee) –  Red Wing, MNSeptember 25, 2015
Nothing but positive things to say. Clean environment, well organized, decent benefits. Management cares about it's employees and goes the extra mile to take care of them.
Pros
Great hours
Cons
Pay could be better
Enjoyable place to work with many very professional and hard working associates.
Bakery Deli Specialist (Former Employee) –  MinneapolisApril 8, 2015
I would work on established priority stores as well as the day to day monitoring of store metrics.

I learned how to make a unit profitable and where to look when results were not satisfactory.

Most management were great to work with but as with all places, a few personalities cold be difficult. Coping with those few were the most difficult part of the job.

I enjoyed most of my co-workers and have stayed in contact with them.

The most enjoyable part of my job was to identify strong performers, training them, promoting them, and then watching them grow and blossom into their new positions. I also loved the personal interaction with our customers.
Pros
Competative pay and good benefits.
Cons
Sometimes corporate egos were difficult to work with
Great place to work, great pay, applications development rewarding
Computer Programmer / Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edina, MNJune 8, 2016
Typical day at work entails meeting for project initiatives, application development for service requests, and employee interaction for development tasks. I enjoyed the clean, comfortable environment and the acceptable level of challenge for applications development. Coworkers can be angry or evasive, but leadership does the job well of managing personnel and bringing in new talent and also providing incentives for current talent to grow their careers within the company. People can sometimes be perpetually disgruntled which makes the job less engaging. The most enjoyable day on the job has one or two meetings for project efforts included and development work in between. Good people overall, though people are sometimes critical to a fault without just consideration of the effort peers contribute to a collective development goal.
Pros
Great workplace and application tools
Cons
People can be snobby and disgruntled even when they are handsomely compensated for their time.
Great Workforce
Shipping Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Landover, MDJune 5, 2015
Director is incompetent

Hours to long for the Salary paid

Never knowing what time the shift was going to be over.

Enjoyed the associates that worked for me.
Pros
Enjoyed the people
Cons
managment showed too much favortism
Great supervisors and working hours.
Expediter (Former Employee) –  Westville, INApril 6, 2015
The HR Manager and supervisors in the warehouse were wonderful! The job was temporary or I would still be there. Treated with kindness, respect and professionalism. Supervisors were patient in training me and quick with a joke. Never had so much fun on a job before!
Pros
Great supervisors - lots of fun
Cons
Compensation was low.
its a good place to work
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Lumberton, NCFebruary 24, 2016
the 4 and a 1/2 year a work there I make good money a year nothing to complain about it well sometimes there is people who dislike other people and you are not going to change that kind of persons
great place to work
truck driver (Former Employee) –  Lima, OHMay 22, 2016
great workplace they take care of employees love going to stores and meeting people unloaded trailer as needed cooperate with store to get unloaded
It was productive and fun working place.
RECEIVER UNLOADER (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDNovember 30, 2015
It was a fun place to, my co work and managers was really to me and everybody else. I learned a lot of things, I learn how to drive a forklift, a hand jack, how to unload from the truck and many more.
Pros
some time tive free lunch
Cons
short breaks, health, etc
Just say no
warehouse associate (Current Employee) –  norfolk,VaJuly 11, 2013
I have been with this company since it was MDV, new management team do not listen to the employees. I have seen people work 16 hours straight and still cant go home. We now have to work all holidays that we use to have off. No profit sharing or raises this year. We have people that have been here 10 and 30 years but they go outside the company to hire supervisors who we have to train then they leave with the experience. If they don't like you, you will not advance.
Pros
pay
Cons
bad management
Worse company ever.. Only there for compab
Hourly (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJuly 21, 2013
You are only a number. You will be hired has hourly or salary .. No future or advancement with this company. They beat their employees mentally and HR is for management only hourlies have to call hotline for answers . Never recommend this place to no one.. Horrible turnover rate even had 8 supervisors in 6 months..
Cons
company in itself
company merger
Sr. Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 7, 2015
future with became uncertain when the announcement of merger.
DATA center was moving to the other company.
With in 12 - 18 months of role elimination.
Poorly managed, vindicative atmosphere
GREAT LAKES REGIONAL FRESH BEEF BUYER (Former Employee) –  Lima, OHSeptember 18, 2013
Poorly managed. Management tend to look for blame rather than solutions and progress.
Pros
salary/benefits were ok
Cons
terrible work/life balance. best for someone who is single and no family
Good place to work ifyou don't ever want to move up in a company
ORDER PULLER (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GAMay 1, 2013
I enjoyed working there until I found out exactly how the company was. I can't speak on every Nash Finch in the country, but for the one where I worked was terrible with their management.
Pros
the money, benefits
Cons
management, work days, and time you get off of work
No review
Supervisor/ Receiver/ Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 27, 2014
Supervised, worked right along side employees, Okay company to work for, no room for advancement
Pros
good benefits
Cons
no team work
very phyisically demanding job .good benifits with limited top end.
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNNovember 26, 2013
Job was a steady income but with little upside.but did have good benefits.vactions ect.
Pros
good benifits
Cons
no raises, very physically demanding
The Warehouse sucks
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Midland, GAFebruary 18, 2013
Do not work here unless you really need a job. You never know what time you are going to get off. There is no time for your family. The physical demands of this job declares war on your body. The most enjoyable part of this job is finally going home.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
everything except benefits
all over okay
Accounting Technician (Current Employee) –  edina mnOctober 22, 2014
communication needs allot of improvement, benefits were great, hours were great
Pros
free lunches
Cons
no communications
Not bad place to work
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Westville, INFebruary 25, 2013
Just need the opportunity to make more money. We deliver groceries to local grocery stores, sometimes by hand. Good benefits, home daily, good boss.
Pros
local delivery, solid pay
Cons
not enough work
Fast paced environment
Merchandising Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bellefontaine, Ohio 43318=1July 13, 2015
Very busy place. Hardest part was not being able to be social. The grocery business is always changing and is very competitive.