Nashville Zoo Employee Reviews

Fun environment
Concessions Cashier (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 11, 2017
A typical working day at the Zoo envolves dealing with big crowds of people, being prepared for the weather as well expecting the unexpected. There are many types of coworkers you're going to deal with such as: Grounds keeping, Maintenance, Cash Management, Cafe, Concessions, Janitorial and even Retail.
Pros
you can work while viewing animals
Cons
Temperature of weather and BUGS!
most fun place to work!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 8, 2016
very different atmosphere to work at compared to all the other jobs ive had. loved to see all the animals. the only bad thing about this job is having to work outside during the summer
Great place with self serving owner
Retail Manager/ Buyer (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 31, 2015
Working for the Nashville Zoo was great in many ways. The pay wasn't anything to brag about but it was more than minimum wage. There were no employee benefits. The owners are foreigners who don't always treat their employees fairly as though they are disposable and indeed having a lot of turnover in staff seems to suit them just fine. They really enjoyed the extra sales I brought in and how I cleaned up and organized their gift shop operations but were very insecure and controlling which severely limited the sales they COULD have been making were they more willing to trust and let someone else take the reigns a bit more. I often felt that my ability to hire competent people was undermined by others who worked in a different division at the front gate who were keeping the best applicants for themselves and throwing me the leftovers to chose from resulting in what I felt was a shadow on my hiring abilities by making sure I got the worst talent to work with.
Pros
Awesome natural atmosphere and great employees!
Cons
1500 rowdy school children ransacking your shop every hour
Funny employees , boring breaks
SSA (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 28, 2015
Its generally fun working at the zoo ... until they cut your hours or make you go on your one 30 minute break. BTW make sure you go for the blue shirts, they actually work at the zoo.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short breaks
Line Cook position at the Zoofari Cafe
Line cook (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 26, 2015
Work at the Zoofari Cafe was hard and tiring but very rewarding. I learned a lot of different aspects of the restaurant business such as how to operate different utilities correctly proper knife skills and sanitation. All in all a great experience
Pros
Great learning experience
Cons
Only a seasonal position
fun place to work with animals and people who come to see these animals
Overnight staff/Camp Instructor (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 5, 2015
Attending to groups who are staying over night and making sure safety protocol are performed at all times. Attending to the animals during overnight program as well as making sure that they secured into their habitats.
Pros
management is great
Different Jobs
Guest Services Team Member (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 11, 2015
We worked at different locations in the Zoo such as the Ticket Booth, Information Hut, The Jungle Gym and The Carousel . It was very adventurous and fun to work at the Zoo.
Fun place to work.
Seasonal Retail Cashier/ Sales Associate- Greeted (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 8, 2015
Greet customers, answer questions and tell guests about upcoming events and promotions. Help clean up when the gift shop closes. Help with inventory., restock the shelves. Learned to be patient when it comes to having the gift shop in top shape during a typical day when the gift shop is opened. Everyone there was enjoyable to work with. Everyone was a teamplayer especially when you need help in answering a question that a guest might have when I don't know or not sure on how to answer the guest's question. The hardest part is when the season ended. The best part of the job was when I get to meet and help various people at the zoo every day.
Pros
Meeting all kinds of people
Cons
Great Place to work with dedicated people working together to help animals and improve the environment.
Guest Services Associate (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 19, 2014
The Nashville Zoo is a great place to work and the people i work with are dedicated to the animals welfare and also the environment around them. The many programs that are offered to the community are inspired by that dedication to enrich the world with education and knowledge of our natural world around us.
Pros
Being a part of a business that cares about animals and nature.
Cons
Not being able to work full-time in the winter.
Time to grow up
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 30, 2013
I love the job for what I get to do, however I do not like the maturity level of my coworkers or of management.
Cons
management, lunch cost
Wonderful Place to Intern
Intern (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 1, 2013
My first few days as an intern have been more than enjoyable. Although the job can be hard, it is rewarding.
Productive and fun work atmosphere
Guest Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 3, 2013
We have daily briefings before employees are sent to their locations. After a couple hours, I start sending additional help to locations and ensure everyone gets a lunch break. After lunches are completed, we rotate personnel again and ensure all employees take an afternoon break. I have learned management skills as well as better customer service. The most challenging part is time management when short-staffed. The most enjoyable part is when everything goes smoothly in the very busy spring and fall of the year.
Weekend Job
Service System Associate Cashier (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 30, 2012
Cashier and food prep. I would work independently and with a team depending on location assigned for the week.
It was a great place to learn.
Internship (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 14, 2011
It was an amazing job. I loved all the people and animals. I got to teach people about the animals of the world. I meet hundreds of new faces and learned to speak in front of large crowds.
Pros
animals
Cons
no pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nashville Zoo. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2