Nassau Boces

Nassau Boces Employer Reviews

Sense of community
senior clerk typist (Former Employee), Wantagh, NYJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: friendship
Cons: can be hectic in main office
I loved the interactions with the children and several school personnel. It was a very caring environment and I developed may close relationships. I found the best teachers were supportive, caring and dedicated to teaching their students above any beyond with little recognition.
Like a box of delicious chocolate, you never know what your going to get.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Garden City, NYJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: boces had a family like atmosphere
Cons: no full-time openings for an art teacher and i moved to georgia
Taught pre-school to high school students in various special education and alternative schools within the BOCES school system.
Due to the population of students, behavior issues was always a concern. However, I learned the importance of staying calm and level-headed when behavioral issues arose. I also learned the importance of being flexible, having patience and a sense of humor.
All the staff at BOCES were wonderfully supportive and genuinely cared for the well-being of the students. I had the respect of the principals, who offered me, on numerous occasions, long-term assignments. While self-destructive behaviors among some of the students was disturbing, the best part of the job was knowing I was working for a place that was making a positive difference in people's lives.
Excellent co-workers.
Itinerant Teacher of the Deaf (Former Employee), Garden City, NYAugust 15, 2014
Pros: great staff
Cons: management is not good.
BOCES is a very good place to work. The staff is extremely helpful and knowledgable in the field of deafness. Management is okay. The hardest part of the job is getting feedback from management. The principal of the program is very smart.
people rude
Substitute Teacher Aide Grades K-12 (Former Employee), Garden City, NYMarch 11, 2014
got accused of something I did not do! I felt so angry! The kids however, were nice and had great personalities.
Fun workplace
Physical Therapist (Former Employee), Massapequa, NYFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: good hours
Cons: hard to get a full time position
I worked at Nassau BOCES only for 6 weeks of summer. It was a great learning experience, specially for a new graduate. All the co-workers were very friendly and always available to help.
the hours are good for those with children
Supervising Audio Visual Technician (Former Employee), westbury, nyFebruary 7, 2014
great benefits, lots of holidays, liked my coworkers, enjoyed working there for 30 years, overall.
Great Place
Nassau BOCES Teachers Aide Substitute (Current Employee), Long Island, NYJanuary 8, 2014
People are nice and are very welcoming. Great place to work. Staff in all buildings are really helpful and are willing to help you.
As a teacher I could have been more effective if it was more of a classroom setting.
ESL Instructor, translator, Interpreter (Current Employee), Long Island, NYNovember 26, 2013
Pros: medical insurance and gas allowance
Cons: unpaid breaks, unpaid travel time from one school to another
Teaching at Nassau BOCES was a learning experience. There were challenges, but I feel that those challenges were met.

A learning experience would be getting to know my students from different cultures. I learned to be more patient and understanding, but firm to my unmotivated students. To be in school everyday and completing their tasks on time were the most difficult part. And through these challenges I learned to be more flexible and creative to suit my teaching style to stimulate their thinking so that they will be able to learn the topic for the day.

As a teacher I developed a special bond or connection to my students. They confided to me their concerns and insecurities. I felt that I was able to give them educational support as well as emotional. How can I forget them?
Awesome work place
COMPUTER TECHNICIAN INTERN (Former Employee), Westbury, NYOctober 21, 2013
Pros: loved the coworkers, the time flexbility, opertunities to learn
Cons: no room for growth.
I joined Nassau Boces as a Intern and learned a lot during my time there. I expanded my knowledge on computer repairs and software troubleshooting. I was also able to learn more about the networking systems. Gained hands on experience installing cat 5e and fiber optic cables through out school buildings. I loved working there and the coworkers there are friendly and inspiring.
A fun and rewarding work environment
Summer Session Physical Therapist (Former Employee), Nassau CountyAugust 6, 2013
The hardest part of the job was learning the children's various personalities!
Productive work day
Director/Principal of Adult Education (Current Employee), Garden City, NYSeptember 23, 2012
Pros: dual leadership experiences acquired
Cons: prefer to be at district level management full time rather than split time
My work day is split given I am both a building and district level administrator, so in the morning I'm at the building and in the afternoon, I'm at central office. This approach is a cost-efficient model due to administrative cut-backs. My a.m. schedule deals with instructional and student management which includes teacher observations, student discipline and data analysis geared towards continuous improvement. At central office, my time is spent on fiscal management; identifying and developing district initiatives geared towards student retention and increased external partnerships to promote student achievement. This dual leadership model has allowed me to learn central office policy and procedures as it pertains to safety, legal and personnel management, which enables me to be more efficient at the building level given the district level exposure.
Good job with good benefits
Substitute Teacher Assistant (Current Employee), United StatesAugust 6, 2012
Pros: good hours
Cons: n/a
Great company to work for with good benefits. The job requires patience and understanding of disabled youth.
Teacher's Aide
Teacher's Aide (Former Employee), Wantagh, NYMay 13, 2012
Pros: great benifits
Cons: only a half an hour for lunch
Assisting the classroom teacher daily living skills, and behavioral target and goals for the students. Working with a 1:1 student who is challenged with autism and behaviors to balance work and achieving goals in successing what students learn. I enjoy when I can reach students goals to succeed in school and in the community.