Nassau Boces Employee Reviews in United States

very upbeat friendly enviorment
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Locations Varied. All schools in Long IslandDecember 10, 2015
This was one of my favorite jobs. I worked in Children Readiness Center, one of the schools as a Teachers Assistant. My immidiate co-workers were all amazingly nice and we all worked so well together. The kids suffered from mainly autism. A constant eye needs to be kept on them all, not just the one-to-one's. I worked during the summer of 2015. Whenever I come back home from school i always have a job here as long as there is school.
Pros
Co-workers makes job easier
Cons
summer coordinator was awful
Parent-Child Home Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Westbury, NYSeptember 22, 2015
I work as a consultant, I have seen very compromised co-workers. It has a good environment to work. There is supportive management. You learn from your supervisor and they participates you in important decisions.
Fun
Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Westbury, NYFebruary 13, 2016
This is a trade school. I enjoyed myself a lot. met new people around my age from different schools. There would arguments here and there.
Pros
food was good
Cons
some days are boring
An excellent place to carry out my life's passion.
Middle School Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Hicksville, NYSeptember 3, 2015
Nassau BOCES is the ideal place for me to carry out my goal of helping young people who had been less fortunate in life. I find it a supportive work environment, always allowing its employees to try new ideas.
Pros
Excellent and dedicated staff.
Cons
As a teacher I could have been more effective if it was more of a classroom setting.
ESL Instructor, translator, Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NYNovember 26, 2013
Teaching at Nassau BOCES was a learning experience. There were challenges, but I feel that those challenges were met.

A learning experience would be getting to know my students from different cultures. I learned to be more patient and understanding, but firm to my unmotivated students. To be in school everyday and completing their tasks on time were the most difficult part. And through these challenges I learned to be more flexible and creative to suit my teaching style to stimulate their thinking so that they will be able to learn the topic for the day.

As a teacher I developed a special bond or connection to my students. They confided to me their concerns and insecurities. I felt that I was able to give them educational support as well as emotional. How can I forget them?
Pros
medical insurance and gas allowance
Cons
unpaid breaks, unpaid travel time from one school to another
Like a box of delicious chocolate, you never know what your going to get.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYJanuary 22, 2015
Taught pre-school to high school students in various special education and alternative schools within the BOCES school system.
Due to the population of students, behavior issues was always a concern. However, I learned the importance of staying calm and level-headed when behavioral issues arose. I also learned the importance of being flexible, having patience and a sense of humor.
All the staff at BOCES were wonderfully supportive and genuinely cared for the well-being of the students. I had the respect of the principals, who offered me, on numerous occasions, long-term assignments. While self-destructive behaviors among some of the students was disturbing, the best part of the job was knowing I was working for a place that was making a positive difference in people's lives.
Pros
boces had a family like atmosphere
Cons
no full-time openings for an art teacher and i moved to georgia
Productive work day
Director/Principal of Adult Education (Current Employee) –  Garden City, NYSeptember 23, 2012
My work day is split given I am both a building and district level administrator, so in the morning I'm at the building and in the afternoon, I'm at central office. This approach is a cost-efficient model due to administrative cut-backs. My a.m. schedule deals with instructional and student management which includes teacher observations, student discipline and data analysis geared towards continuous improvement. At central office, my time is spent on fiscal management; identifying and developing district initiatives geared towards student retention and increased external partnerships to promote student achievement. This dual leadership model has allowed me to learn central office policy and procedures as it pertains to safety, legal and personnel management, which enables me to be more efficient at the building level given the district level exposure.
Pros
dual leadership experiences acquired
Cons
prefer to be at district level management full time rather than split time
Internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYJune 4, 2015
Completed an internship as part of the internship program for my college. The main project that I worked was creating a user manual for a dashboard reporting application.
Excellent co-workers.
Itinerant Teacher of the Deaf (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYAugust 15, 2014
BOCES is a very good place to work. The staff is extremely helpful and knowledgable in the field of deafness. Management is okay. The hardest part of the job is getting feedback from management. The principal of the program is very smart.
Pros
great staff
Cons
management is not good.
Teacher's Aide
Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  Wantagh, NYMay 13, 2012
Assisting the classroom teacher daily living skills, and behavioral target and goals for the students. Working with a 1:1 student who is challenged with autism and behaviors to balance work and achieving goals in successing what students learn. I enjoy when I can reach students goals to succeed in school and in the community.
Pros
great benifits
Cons
only a half an hour for lunch
Amazing
School Psychology Intern (Current Employee) –  North Bellmore, NYFebruary 24, 2015
I truly enjoy interning at Jerusalem Ave. Part of my day consists of counseling, consultation with teachers and aides, crisis intervention, assessment, report writing, creating FBA/BIPs and much more. The staff are very friendly and truly seem like they care about the children they deal with.
Sense of community
senior clerk typist (Former Employee) –  Wantagh, NYJanuary 29, 2015
I loved the interactions with the children and several school personnel. It was a very caring environment and I developed may close relationships. I found the best teachers were supportive, caring and dedicated to teaching their students above any beyond with little recognition.
Pros
friendship
Cons
can be hectic in main office
Good job with good benefits
Substitute Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  United StatesAugust 6, 2012
Great company to work for with good benefits. The job requires patience and understanding of disabled youth.
Pros
good hours
Cons
n/a
the hours are good for those with children
Supervising Audio Visual Technician (Former Employee) –  westbury, nyFebruary 7, 2014
great benefits, lots of holidays, liked my coworkers, enjoyed working there for 30 years, overall.
Awesome work place
COMPUTER TECHNICIAN INTERN (Former Employee) –  Westbury, NYOctober 21, 2013
I joined Nassau Boces as a Intern and learned a lot during my time there. I expanded my knowledge on computer repairs and software troubleshooting. I was also able to learn more about the networking systems. Gained hands on experience installing cat 5e and fiber optic cables through out school buildings. I loved working there and the coworkers there are friendly and inspiring.
Pros
loved the coworkers, the time flexbility, opertunities to learn
Cons
no room for growth.
Fun workplace
Physical Therapist (Former Employee) –  Massapequa, NYFebruary 24, 2014
I worked at Nassau BOCES only for 6 weeks of summer. It was a great learning experience, specially for a new graduate. All the co-workers were very friendly and always available to help.
Pros
good hours
Cons
hard to get a full time position
Great Place
Nassau BOCES Teachers Aide Substitute (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NYJanuary 8, 2014
People are nice and are very welcoming. Great place to work. Staff in all buildings are really helpful and are willing to help you.
A fun and rewarding work environment
Summer Session Physical Therapist (Former Employee) –  Nassau CountyAugust 6, 2013
The hardest part of the job was learning the children's various personalities!
people rude
Substitute Teacher Aide Grades K-12 (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYMarch 11, 2014
got accused of something I did not do! I felt so angry! The kids however, were nice and had great personalities.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nassau Boces. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4