Natera

Natera Employer Reviews

Worst place I have ever worked
Sales (Former Employee), San CarlosAugust 19, 2014
Pros: product, mission, free food, patient contact
Cons: abso-tively everything else
The management here (if you can call it that) makes this place a horrendous place to work. They are (for the most part) under qualified, definitely inexperienced and are just terrible, terrible leaders. There are a couple who are OK, but the screaming and verbal abuse going on is actually shocking. The employees are underpaid (by a lot!), overworked – more... and undervalued, and definitely unappreciated. I personally worked more than 70 hours a week and was actually told I am not doing enough, that I need to do more!

Unfortunately their investors and people who could make a difference will never read all these negative management reviews.

The patient contact, free food, etc was cool but for the most part do not pay even the slightest attention to the five-start ratings on here about this company. They are managers who planted the ratings and they are a joke. Speaking of jokes, don't even get me started on the pay. My stress level was so high that even though I'm in my 20s I was considering taking blood pressure medication, and no I am not exaggerating.

All this is too bad because the products are beyond awesome and the employees are A-MAY-ZING, and if they actually had some qualified managers and a neat, organized, non-disheveled, good work environment (you ought to see the place) it would be a good place to work. – less
Great Science Poor Management
Employee (Current Employee), San Carlos, CAMarch 19, 2014
The employees at Natera are very friendly. The science behind the prenatal testing Natera offers is the latest. As an employee, you do not have a voice to speak about your opinions or value within the company. Much of the work being done goes unnoticed. Managers overwhelm their employees and do not always follow the rules.
If you're young and looking for a career start this could be a place for you
NA (Former Employee), San Carlos, CAJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: free lunch, coffee, snacks
Cons: no leadership
The other reviews are correct, management is very immature at this company and quite frankly, this company lacks management altogether. The CEO hardly ever shows up to work, and on the rare occasion that he does, he hardly interacts with other employees. I have no idea what the direction of this company is, I just know that they need to make $ asap – more... and that means pushing down on others. Anyone who's good knows better than to stay at this company. When I meet people who are smart, I wonder why they are at this company. It's true that there's a lot of bullying going on, I've seen the Sales and Marketing VPs bullying people and take advantage of their positions. This company is going through a lot of growing pains and part of the problem is that not very many people from the top to the bottom have public company experience... or management experience... or experience in general. You have people who are Directors who have no clue how to really do their jobs, I've seen this across the board in many functional areas. You have some really talented young people who are amazing at their jobs and significantly underpaid and undervalued. Employee recognition is not consistent at this company, it's true that you need to ask or you will not receive. There is no HR review process for annual reviews and bonus payout. Promotions and raises are very ad hoc here, there's no standard process. I can count the number of people on less than 1 hand who are actually talented and smart, but then I haven't met the whole company...

So why would anyone join this company? A job is a job. If you have no work experience this is a good place to get some if you're willing to learn. They take a lot of inexperienced people in and train them. If you're looking for some quick growth in your career you could probably get it here. This company does not run background checks so if you have a criminal, drug or debt record, they will never know or ask. There's a lot of C and D players here so if you're a B player you have a chance to shine. This place is really disorganized and crazy so you have an opportunity to come in and "fix" things and make a positive difference. – less
The 5-star reviews were planted. This company is mismanaged.
Manager (Current Employee), San Carlos, CASeptember 8, 2013
Pros: free food, amazing coworkers, great science, stock options.
Cons: inept upper management, very low pay compared to industry standards.
This company is mismanaged and abusive. It's too bad, really, because the science is amazing and the product is - against all odds - doing really well.

Upper management is childish and bullies other employees (even actually screaming in the hallway). There is no actual strategic plan in place, and plans change on a daily basis. They lost their CFO – more... and VP of marketing within a few months of each other - this is a significant red flag. There is no clear marketing leadership, and marketing pretty much runs the company. There is no transparency and communication is nonexistent - this means efforts are often duplicated and timelines are often missed. Also, timelines are set by the sales team, and are ridiculously unreasonable such that employees are forced work significantly more than 40 hours per week. There is no such thing as work-life balance (employees have gone on disability for stress, and many have quit or are looking for other work). There is no such thing as a merit-based raise or advancement - if you don't ask you will get nothing. Compensation is a joke - there is no standardization, and they underpay and generally undercompensate very qualified employees. I would not have chosen to work for this company had I known that management was a bunch of good-old-boys.

The science really is great and the products are amazing - I want the company to do well despite management, not because of it. The employees/my coworkers are amazing - a bunch of motivated, smart, hard-working, fun people. It's just very hard to do your job well in the face of such blatant mismanagement. – less
Leading Edge and Very Professional
Manager (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAAugust 24, 2013
Pros: pay, golbal growth, management suport
Cons: location to sf downtown
This is best biotech I have worked at !!! Move over Google this is new Biotech wave and Natera is fun place to work.
Best Working Enviroment | Top Management
Manager (Current Employee), San Jose, CAAugust 24, 2013
Pros: pay, culture and science
Cons: fast growth
This places is amazing to work at, the culture, the people and the cutting edge science is energizing. I look forward to going to work each day. Global expansion is underway.
Top BioTech - New Science - Enjoyable work
Manager (Current Employee), San FransicoMay 18, 2013
Pros: new science, enjoyable work
Cons: could pay more, but we did get stock
Top BioTech - New Science - Enjoyable work
Really enjoyed working here, the science and skill of employees is top rate. They may soon lead the field in this space.
Leading industry technology | Great place to work
Manager (Former Employee), CAMay 6, 2013
Pros: leading edge technology, positive work environment
Cons: not yet the size of large pharma, does not have all the perks of a google
Natera is leading the field in the technology it develops. It is great to work in a place that is full of energy and clearly defining a new market. They have grown fast but kept a friendly, work hard play hard atmosphere. I felt like I was making a real impact, plus pay was good. Enjoyed my time there and grew my career.
Great Work Experience
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee), Redwood City, CAApril 30, 2013
I learned alot from this company with my position. A typical day at the shipping area is to ship all kits that are requested to the right address. I learned that an order to function properly you must be very organized in everything you do.
Good science, poor management
Sales & Marketing (Former Employee), San Carlos, CaJanuary 13, 2013
Pros: good products
Cons: poor communication and management
The company has a smart team, but management is lacking experience and therefore company is not well run or organized.
Not properly managed
Independent contrator (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJuly 23, 2012
Pros: interaction with patient's, set my own schedule
Cons: not properly managed, was given work that was not stated in my contract that i did not get paid for, poorly run
pros - Working as an independent contractor for his company was great. I got to set my own work schedule, interact with patient's, and get experience.

Cons - lied about how much we were going to be paid, pay was significantly lower then stated, management didn't seem to know how to run the company or deal with patient's or the employee's, things began – more... to become out of control and even though I tried my best to work along with it and help out as best I could it was starting to effect my life and my health. – less

About Natera

Natera is driven by a passion for elevating the science and utility of prenatal testing. The advent of the Information Age has – Read more