National Aeronautics and Space Administration

National Aeronautics and Space Administration Employer Reviews

Overall great place to work
Legislative Affairs Specialist (Current Employee), Washington, DCAugust 23, 2013
An incredible place to work that leads the world in innovation.
Nice Place to Work that is Full of Diversity
Project Support Specialist (Contractor) (Current Employee), Greenbelt, MarylandMay 16, 2013
Pros: very people friendly
Goddard Space Flight Center is a fun place to work that promotes diversity.
One out of few
Junior Engineer/Student Trainee (Former Employee), Greenbelt, MD (GSFC)May 2, 2013
Pros: great place to work, they had everything on base you could want, close to my house, i made my professors jealous
Cons: low starting pay and a slower pace than i am used to
I enjoyed being a student trainee at NASA. There were only 64 positions nationwide and I got one. How? I do not really know. I believe that my personality was so atypical of an engineer that they were interested in seeing what would happen.

My duties evolved as I advanced my degree and got more experience. I began using my CAD skills to design parts. – more... My most successful project my first year was design a new upper and lower deck for the satellite. But first I had to learn how the old ones were made. I spent a month watching the composites team build these elaborate decks with aluminum inserts. The entire time I thought, "This allows no adjustment and the components must be balanced for mass and rotational inertia". So I spoke up and created a parametric model that was fully adjustable in Pro/E. Doing so allowed me use the software to balance the mass. After my presentation, they began the process of switching over and I felt great.

The second year, I saw that all engineers are not equal. I was subjected to modern day baby sitting for an underachieving young engineer that somehow managed to get tenure. I took over his vibration lab responsibilities and created templates for his reports. I enjoyed running the vibration lab but could have done so by myself. I created the preliminary report for official vibration testing at the "real" vibration testing lab. I used FEMAP and NASTRAN to model the shock loads as to avoid over designing the decks. Weight is ALWAYS a concern at NASA. I also got to play with some really cool epoxies when designing a custom fly away connector.

Then the decision was made, by me to go for greener pastures and not accept the position at NASA. I am kicking myself right now. A young kid thinks salary now is better than security later. That joke's on me.

Overall, this was an excellent experience that proved that I have what it takes to be in product development and R&D. Something that many believed that I could not. Sure, I am great at math and science but, here I learned how to put it all together. My only regret is that I stayed here and not went for the money. Especially since that offer got cancelled due to the sluggish economy. The only bad thing is that the Columbia disaster happened when I was there and that I may never be able to work there again (because it's hard to do, not because of anything nefarious). – less
One of the best technical agencies to work for in the government
Deputy Manager, Orion Production Operations (Current Employee), Houston, TXApril 12, 2013
Pros: secure employment, exciting projects
Cons: difficult to manage projects that have requirements changed every year.
Have spent 24 years with this government organzation and NASA has provided to me many opportunities and exposure to projects to manage and develop. Very difficult and tedious bureaucracy that is typcial of any government agency, but even this has developed my soft skills to navigate this tangled web of personalities. Management styles typically are – more... very technical with little or no soft skills. Sucessful completion of major milestones has been the most enjoyable part of this job, but the year-to-year political tug of war gets to be pretty frustrating and demoralizing to any project that has budget, schedule and requirements changes constantly. – less
Great institution to work for.
NASA lead electrical engineer (Former Employee), Kennedy Space Center, FLMarch 19, 2013
Pros: high tech resources, great salary, high recognition factor.
Cons: none.
NASA is one of the most recognized high tech institutions in the world. A leaser of Space and Aeronautical achievements as well as a fertile organization to further this country's superiority in air ans space.
Fun and enjoyable learning environment
Intern (Former Employee), College Park, MDMarch 7, 2013
Everyday I met with my group and either started or continued a miniature project that would aide in a much larger project. My coworkers were mainly graduate students and taught me a great deal of different skills involved with carpentry and modelling. I enjoyed being able to come to work and do something I knew was a part of something greater. The hardest – more... part of the job was leaving because I really wanted to continue but it was a summer internship. – less
Really awesome employer for an engineer
AST, Propulsion Systems (Former Employee), SSCFebruary 27, 2013
Pros: awesome encouragement to focus on what interests you
Cons: too many meetings
Working for NASA, you get to see and operate hardware that most people only dream about. You can learn just about anything your heart desires on the job. The hardest part of working at NASA is you have to deal with A LOT of government bureaucracy which can sometimes hinder your ability to effectively do your job.
Great place to work, team-oriented, creativity is valued
Intern (Former Employee), Clearlake, TXFebruary 15, 2013
Conducted teams research for long-duration missions, helped to train flight controllers, created presentations, wrote technical reports, collected and analyzed data
Solid job in a troubled job market
Budget Analyst (Former Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 13, 2013
Pros: you work at a place where every kid dreams of working.
Cons: few growth opportunities
My personal experience was as an intern, but from what I saw the NASA employee base is very tight knit and rather self established. The benefits and pay are way higher than the required work ethic on the business side. Benefits are good, and hours are relatively flexible.
Solid job in a troubled job market
Budget Analyst (Intern) (Former Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 13, 2013
Pros: you work at a place where every kid dreams of working.
Cons: few growth opportunities
Nice agency to work for
Audit Project Manager (GS-14) (Current Employee), Cleveland, OHNovember 9, 2012
Pros: staff
Cons: politics
The NASA OIG is a nice agency to work for, offering diversity of assignments and strong management and leadership with a vision for quality and hard hitting audit reports.
It was like being in the 4 th grade, and your teacher tells you "we are going to have class at Disney World all year!"
Field Engineer (Former Employee), Titusville, FLAugust 27, 2012
its NASA
Intern (Former Employee), Cape Canaveral, FLAugust 2, 2012
Pros: cool place to work
Cons: very slow moving
decent pay, cool environment. Got to see shuttle launches. looks good on resume