National Alliance on Mental Illness Employee Reviews

Laid back atmosphere; diverse duties created good environment for learning new things
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTJune 3, 2016
Utilized interpersonal skills on a daily basis; both internally and externally; learned about resources available to persons with mental health issues; co-workers helpful when assistance needed; dealing with the public on the phone was the hardest, but I could refer calls to other staff; enjoyed the freedom of finding my own resources to complete assigned projects.
Amazing grass-roots mental health group
Co-founder and president (Current Employee) –  Bay AreaJune 10, 2016
I was president and co-founder of NAMI UCB. We hosted weekly peer-support groups and did mental health advocacy. We hosted several events on the UC Berkeley campus and area.
Admin Environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 6, 2016
I lke this job. the people you work with and the overall energy is good. pay is decent and the CEO is very friendly so overall great experience
Non-profit stigma awareness and knowledge through discovery/recovery
Peer-to-Peer Mentor and IOOV Presenter (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VaMarch 24, 2013
Currently I am co-mentoring a 10 week class every Sunday. The course is called Peer-to-Peer and it is a relaxed, fun, learning experience for everyone. I also work as an In Our Own Voice public speaker. I have spoken at mental health hospitals, high schools, police departments, and to the public. I had the experience of speaking at the Nami Walk Rally to over 300+ people. I love who I work with and enjoy every minute of giving back through Nami.
Pros
good pay, relaxed atmosphere
Cons
no full time positions or benefits
A great experience
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 4, 2014
Preparing for their annual 5k walk fundraiser, I learned that NAMI uses people with mental illness to work within there organization, My supervisor was great and shared information freely as we worked. I think that the hardest part for me was not being able to work as much as I would have liked to. The best part for me was that I was able to do the childrens booth during the walk.
Pros
a great learning experience
Cons
i did not spend enough time there
job
Call Agent (Former Employee) –  Southaven, MSMarch 22, 2015
they don't give you the benefits that you deserve. they pay you 7.25hr, when you start they hold back a month and when you leave they don't pay you for that month
Pros
dont pay right
Motivated and passionate team working on issues that matter
Helpline Coordinator Assistant (Intern) (Former Employee) –  BostonAugust 13, 2015
I love NAMI Mass, the work can be difficult but the team is very passionate and work hard for issues that matter!

A typical day consists of coming in the office, turning on the phones, checking emails, completing follow ups, doing research and answering phone calls and helping people who have mental illness with issues they may be having in regards to healthcare, housing, treatment, etc.
Family Friendly Envoroment
Executive Director (Current Employee) –  Alvin, TXNovember 4, 2015
Great organization that's help so many people in the community. Recent successful growth in programs and outreach. Learned a variety of skills that I can use to other industries or larger organizations.
Rewarding Work
Executive Director/Grants Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PASeptember 23, 2015
I enjoy my position here however, problems with the state budget have forced my hand to look for alternative employment.
A typical day consists of organizing your work and implementing a more efficient way of handling tasks.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 23, 2015
The co-workers are a blend of very helpful and passionate people. They love to help people. The hardest part of the job is to balance every job responsibility; therefore, new and innovative ideas are needed.
Pros
flexible schedules, helpful co-workers
Cons
work overload
Great Work Environment with Great Co-Workers
Program Coordinator and Regional Coordinator, (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 30, 2014
A typical work day would include:
1. Reviewal of e-mails and providing daily responses
2. Managing 7 contractors in 6 regions across Texas
3. Monthly grant reporting
4.Weekly staff meetings
5. Continual program assessment for improvements
6. Management of $250,000 grant budgetary limitations
7. Community networking
8. Planning and execution of trainings

In had never worked under a grant before. I thoroughly enjoyed learning new skills including grant management and yearly program program projections. My co-workers were all team players and we looked forward to working together every day. The most challenging part of the job was the change in staff. I worked under 3 different Executive Directors in one year. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with military families that have sacrificed so much for our freedom. It was a true honor.
Pros
excellent work environment
Cons
turnover in leadership
Well organized..
Volunteered: IT-Supporter (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 29, 2015
Just hoping they are better organized...And....Increase functions...To better their plight for people who may or may not have potentially annoying mental illnesses that can be cured....With updated tactics that I may or may not be able to share.......
Pros
Working on the computer...
Cons
Management....
Horrible management, unfriendly environment
National Walk Manager (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAMay 30, 2013
The National NAMIWalks Director is an extremely condescending individual and very hard to work with; he does not easily take suggestions for change and, if he did, would always present the ideas of his empoloyees' as his own.

The entire NAMI national office is cold and reserved; people do not talk to other individuals outside of their department, although there is never any shortage of gossip. Many NAMI staff members have also made fun of the mentally challenged individuals who they support.

NAMI spends an outrageous amount of money on corporate salaries, lavish travel arrangements, and expensive meals for their staff members.

After completing a lengthy interviewing process, which included performing actual un-paid work for this organization, I was hired as a National Walk Manager. I was terminated from this position after the Program Assistant made the outrageous and fabricated claim that she had smelled marijuana in my vehicle; I was then given no opportunity to prove the claims were false.
Pros
high salaries
Cons
unfriendly staff, poor management
Fun workplace, caring environment and a great experience.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALOctober 28, 2014
• Networks information and disseminates materials about mental illness treatment and resources to Alabama's local affiliates
• Advocates for improved services, treatment and care for persons with a mental illness
• Assists in establishing support and advocacy groups throughout the state so families dealing with mental illness need not feel alienated or alone
• Provides valuable information to enlighten mental health professionals regarding the family perspective
• Encourages greater research into the effective treatment of mental illness
• Works to eliminate stigma associated with mental illness by providing factual information to the public about the true nature of the disorder and its impact on individuals, their family members, and society at large
• Attended conferences and educational programs for individuals with mental illness, their families, health care professionals, mental health providers and other.
Pros
learning about mental illness and the work experience.
Cons
not being paid and only working for 5 months.
Stressful work environment
Office and Consumer Programs Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJuly 14, 2014
Assisting families and persons dealing with mental illnesses in crisis was challenging at best. Providing the best online resources was a challenge I enjoyed, even when the need was outside our coverage area. I became know outisde of Michigan for having great resources; this felt good but did not help the bottom line or bring in much financial support to the organization.
Outreach and Resource (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 23, 2014
awesome people and atmosphere!
Loved the freedom of the job.
Coworkers are very warm and understanding.
A lot of flexibility!
Learned a lot about mental illness and mental health issues!
The hardest part of the job is that it was sometimes depressing dealing with people in difficult situations.
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
not well paid
Great Internship Opportunity
Media Production Intern (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 7, 2013
Though I can't speak to the day to day at NAMI, I can say that all of the individuals I worked with were extremely passionate about their work and very eager to assist me with my projects.
Pros
important work
Cons
relatively small
Provides education on mental illness to families and indiduals.
NAMI Basic Class Instructor (Current Employee) –  Wheaton, ILOctober 16, 2013
Volunteer position so that I can provide education and support to parents that have a child with mental illness.
N/a
Support line Counselor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 16, 2014
I learned a lot about what NAMI does and have nothing but respect for this company.

4.2