National Alliance on Mental Illness Employee Reviews

Great organization to volunteer at
Volunteer Support Group Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Columbus, GAOctober 26, 2017
I have had an overall great experience in all my involvement with this org. NAMI was a great place to kick-start my career. I learned a lot during support groups including how to lead/facilitate groups myself. I also got connected to valuable community resources through this organization.
Pros
Good experience for facilitation groups
Cons
Not a strong source of income
Productive, fulfilling
Outreach specialist NAMI (Current Employee) –  Columbus, GASeptember 15, 2017
NAMI has helped me fulfill a life-long goal of being an advocate for mental health and mental-illness awareness. NAMI has provided this platform and it has helped me hone in on my compassion for others and helped me develop my communication skills, especially as a public speaker.
relaxed environment
Intern (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 8, 2017
The employees are nice. its lovation is not the most convenient but is located by a major bus line. the environment is very relaxed, not much excitement.
Great place to volunteer.
Volunteer Receptionist and Help Line Expert (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DESeptember 7, 2017
Great organization with great culture. I am very happy to be volunteering at this organization. Everyone is extremely friendly and helpful. My work is very appreciated.
Great experience
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  CAAugust 28, 2017
The working environment is fast pace but very balancing at the same time. You will feel very delighted and happy when you are able to assist clients or family members.
It is kind of like freelancing.
Presenter (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJAugust 23, 2017
Drive to different towns. Speak at schools, churches, treatment programs, psych hospitals discussing your experiences with mental illness. presentations can range from 2 in a day to 2 in a month.
Pros
lots of freedom, can be a side job
Cons
most available presentation locations are in north jersey
Non-profit organization
Volunteer/Advisor/Advocate/Training Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 28, 2017
I worked as a volunteer at NAMI. The organization is great, you feel you are really making a difference. They provided training and support, and made you feel as if you were part of a family. The most difficult part of the job is seeing how the family/friends of those with mental illness struggle to get support and assistance.
Pros
Atmosphere
Cons
Non paid position
Nurturing and supportive community
Peer-to-Peer & Family-to-Family Mentor/Presenter (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WA 99201July 21, 2017
NAMI Spokane has changed my life by accepting me, giving me the tools to recover from my mental illness, and continued to provide recovery skills so that I can help others.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Volunteer Shortage
Experience was good to have
Marathon Volunteer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 10, 2017
Assisted with logistics of the marathon. Directed race participants to start line. Encouraged race participants to keep going. Overall wonderful experience to have.
Good place for experience but may not be what's expected.
Clerical duties and phone customer service (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTMay 28, 2017
When I was here during a field experience project during my college years, I was in charge of two jobs: being a secretary and providing companionship for patients at a separate place. The latter provided great experience for those wanting experience in psychology, however, the former responsibility wasn't as fulfilling.
Over-worked, under payed, lack of concern for employee well-being
Addictive Disorders Case Manager (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMarch 8, 2017
I worked here for almost 5 years and while I loved the girls who worked in my office, the job stress was extremely high. We were constantly expected to meet impossibly unrealistic expectations by our bosses and were written up regularly even though punishment proved completely ineffective in dealing with the problem. There was an overall lack of support from our higher-ups and, although they'd never admit to it, our superiors were constantly pressuring us to essentially commit Medicaid fraud by inflating our billable face-to-face ours or face termination.
Pros
Co-workers, flexible schedule
Cons
Low pay, high stress work, little support from superiors, and lots more
Supportive and Productive internship
Intern (Current Employee) –  Erie, PAJanuary 3, 2017
Workplace is extremely helpful and full of respect. It is a pleasure to go to this internship each day, despite no compensation.
Pros
Respect, Flexible
Contractor
Marketing and Web Management Consultant (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 21, 2016
I work as a contractor and have been treated with the utmost respect. NAMI does great work for society. Super organization.
Productive workplace with nice people to work with.
Computer Operator (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CADecember 7, 2016
I enjoyed working with NAMI. There wasn't a typical day there. You wouldn't know ahead of time what to expect and this required you to be on your toes, a good skill to have! I grew with them as they transitioned to the new office in San Mateo. I worked with them in Belmont and was proud of the work I did there. I found the managers at the time were adequate and they are a much better organization now than when I worked with them 2001-2005. I liked the daily challenges of working with this organization. I like the new office at Borel place but haven't worked too much for them now as I live out of the area, but do visit them from time to time and help deliver their newsletter.
Pros
Nice clean facilities, luncheon at Poplar Creek Golf Course at the holidays--yum!
Cons
Sometimes the job is too demanding of me and my time.
Admin Environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 6, 2016
I lke this job. the people you work with and the overall energy is good. pay is decent and the CEO is very friendly so overall great experience
Amazing grass-roots mental health group
Co-founder and president (Current Employee) –  Bay AreaJune 10, 2016
I was president and co-founder of NAMI UCB. We hosted weekly peer-support groups and did mental health advocacy. We hosted several events on the UC Berkeley campus and area.
Laid back atmosphere; diverse duties created good environment for learning new things
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTJune 3, 2016
Utilized interpersonal skills on a daily basis; both internally and externally; learned about resources available to persons with mental health issues; co-workers helpful when assistance needed; dealing with the public on the phone was the hardest, but I could refer calls to other staff; enjoyed the freedom of finding my own resources to complete assigned projects.
Family Friendly Envoroment
Executive Director (Current Employee) –  Alvin, TXNovember 4, 2015
Great organization that's help so many people in the community. Recent successful growth in programs and outreach. Learned a variety of skills that I can use to other industries or larger organizations.
Rewarding Work
Executive Director/Grants Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PASeptember 23, 2015
I enjoy my position here however, problems with the state budget have forced my hand to look for alternative employment.
Motivated and passionate team working on issues that matter
Helpline Coordinator Assistant (Intern) (Former Employee) –  BostonAugust 13, 2015
I love NAMI Mass, the work can be difficult but the team is very passionate and work hard for issues that matter!

A typical day consists of coming in the office, turning on the phones, checking emails, completing follow ups, doing research and answering phone calls and helping people who have mental illness with issues they may be having in regards to healthcare, housing, treatment, etc.