National Aquarium in Baltimore Employee Reviews

wonderful place to work
Manager of Compensation/Benefits (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 30, 2017
NAIB was a wonderful to work. It was a great culture with committed, dedicated employees with the same mission in mind. I really enjoyed my 20 years there
Amazing experiences
Educator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 28, 2017
I spent my entire high school career traveling to many places and doing many things from Maine all the way down to the Florida keys, that most die without even getting the opportunity to do.
Pros
Cons
N/a
Going downhill fast!!!!
Animal Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 12, 2017
Things may be better if you are non exempt and hourly. But if you are exempt and salary...you have to finish all the work that was not completed by others, you rarely get any lunch or are working thru it, and you are constantly on call and do not get compensated for it like other institutions. So plan on working 50+ hours per week.
It''s a great place to gain some animal experience fast, but don't intent to stand long. The only good thing is the benefits. But then you have to decide what you are willing to give up do much to get them. Often, when you have a lot of time off, you can't take it because you are too busy or too many animal issues come up.
They keep advertising the workplace rating. But that was bogus to start, never spoke to animal care staff, just office and msnagement, etc. And it is out dated, so not valid anymore if you are using that to sway your decision at all.
I liked working downtown and being near the harbor. But parking is a HUGE and COSTLY issue.
Pros
Caring animal keeper and volunteer staff
Cons
Poor work/life balance and terrible management.
Changed over the years for the worse
Animal Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 16, 2017
If you want to gain experience learning animal husbandry, then I would do so, then move on. This is not a company that values long term loyalty out of its employees. The "leadership" here needs leadership help. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians, if you know what I mean. Animal care staff are paid average across the board, but they devote too few staff to get the animal care jobs done. They would rather hire tons of marketing and other "management office" people instead. Not sure if they realize they are managing an animal facility.

The husbandry and animal health staff really care!! It's a shame they are not better rewarded for their efforts. The National Aquarium used to be on one of the top aquariums...NOT ANY MORE!!
Pros
work with incredible animal species
Cons
poor management and leadership
Fun Workplace for someone fresh out of high school
Admissions Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 28, 2017
You build many friendships with the people you work with. Management is a little pressing .Workplace culture is great. You help many people from around the world.
Pros
Free Admission, easy job for the most part
Cons
Pressing Management
Very rewarding, very engaging, excellent work environment and staff
Aviculture Itern (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 12, 2017
Working with the staff and the animals was an extremely rewarding experience. The supervisors help you get started when learning your daily routine, and if you need help they are very understanding and helpful. You get to work close with the animals and participate in many different projects.
Not exactly the best place...
Guest Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 9, 2017
Sure, the exciting idea of working around fish and being the best you can be with customer service sounds ideal during your interview process, but once you begin working it's a different story. You would have to be in a certain department if you'd like to be ANYWHERE near the fish. You might get a chance to see them if you go on a break, but by the time you get your break, you are only going to wanna sit down and rest your feet from standing up the entire time.

Majority of the supervising team like to mostly gossip alongside each other, which would be fine if it wasn't for the fact they felt we were disturbing them whenever we needed their attention. Not only that, but they would often feel bothered when we need their immediate attention when a problem occurs with a guest. The same for the manager team as well. They don't really wish to be disturbed unless it's extremely dire.

I guess the only good thing about the place would be the pay and the free membership.
Pros
free membership, pay
Cons
short breaks, lazy supervising/management team
A place where amazing things happens
Security Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 16, 2017
Great place to work, very diverse and great a since on belonging. The management team is wonderful and gear to your success. Working at the National Aquarium in Baltimore you will be apart of a diversity working family that all comes together to to make sure our aquatic animals and guest are happy.
fun job
Admissions Cashier (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 3, 2017
the job itself was fine, nice place and nice being around such awesome animals, but the staff not so much, they tend to treat the animals better then they treat their staff.
Pros
great physical environment
Cons
slightly toxic emotional environment and interaction.
Fun work place very positive.
Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 29, 2016
Absolutely loved working here and with the public. You get breaks and great pay depending on your education. The co workers are great and everyone is always willing to enlighten.
Pros
Break room, free tickets
Cons
Not a fan of the uniform
Great place to work.
Visual Production Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 12, 2016
Great work environment and co workers were all great. Was enjoyable to go to work everyday. Working with animals and developing shows for visitors was exciting. Eventually work started getting outsourced. This gave us less to do and started to become tedious.
Pros
Wrorking with animals and traveling.
Cons
low pay and no advancenment.
Lifetime Opportunity as a Volunteer
Volunteer Aquarist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 7, 2016
I worked as a volunteer in the Jellies Invasion Exhibit and as an assistant to the Jellies Lab. I would work on Sundays with a supervisor performing aquarium maintenance and care. Preparing Artemia, scrubbing tanks, water changes, feedings, moving animals. I learned so much about Jellies from the staff it only encouraged me to pursue opportunities with my Marine Biology interests. The hardest part of the job was that it was a volunteer position. The most enjoyable part of the job was being around staff that were willing to teach me more about being an Aquarist in an AZA accredited place.
Pros
Staff, Mentoring, Aquarium Experience with Invertebrates
Cons
Unpaid position
Both fun and enriching job for high school students.
Youth Programs (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MdSeptember 9, 2015
This job presented many future skills necessary in almost any job you may work. Provided real work experience and responsibility. Also provided great interaction and work with teams and children.
Great Place for an Internship
Visual Productions Intern (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 30, 2014
The staff there are great mentors and are willing to work with you and take the time to show you everything you need to know and do.
National Aquarium
First Responder and Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Baltimore MarylandApril 16, 2014
the aquarium is a great place to work.There is always something new and interesting things to see and do.
Pros
Lots of things to see and learn about
Interesting working experience
Visitor Programs Interpretive Aide (Current Employee) –  baltimore, mdFebruary 17, 2014
Engaging with thousands of visitors on a daily basis, teaching them about the variety of animals we have. Participating in Animal Encounters, giving the visitors a meet and greet with an animal or two. It is truly a great place to work when you are talking with the visitors answering questions, making their day a little better. I have learned so much in my time at the aquarium, i absorbed so much from them about animal care, and husbandry. I've learned how to give presentations and handle a variety of animals. Some of my co-workers are like family. when i started it was like i was leaving home to not head to work, but to head to my second home. I had so much pride in it, and loved to show people my home, tell them what they were going to find. It was great! The hardest part of the job is not only running around, dealing with unhappy people, but dealing with change. New executives come in and want to change everything, making it hard to adjust turning a second home into a corporate mad house. The most enjoyable part of the job is playing with the dolphins or having your own personal behind the scene encounter with an animal you never touched...like an octopus or dolphin or shark. It is amazing when you have co-workers who are willing to share something special as a play session with an animal they work with every day.
Pros
awesome animal experiences
Cons
corporate take over, healthcare, no job security, under paid
Not an exciting Job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 10, 2014
This may be the worst job I've ever had. There was no room of ever advancing within this workplace and the people of higher authority was discriminating.
Very productive and fun!
Visitor Services and Custodial (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 16, 2013
My time working at the National Aquarium in Baltimore was very fulfilling! I learned about many different animals and their habitats. My supervisor and coworkers were so fun to work with!
fun
Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 9, 2013
had so much fun
loved educating kids
great co-workers
supervisors were very helpful
training was difficult but well worth it
Great job with terrific ambiance
Student (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 3, 2013
Working at the aquarium is great as all the guests are friendly and everyone was very easy to work with