National Archives And Records Administration Employee Reviews

Great group of staff. Learned a lot and thankful for my retirement.
Secretary (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 29, 2017
Learned a lot of administrative duties. Met lots of people from various backgrounds and had a great boss. Lot of diversity here and lot of time for job training. Supported staff in my office and other staff within the building on how to enter travel authorizations in the travel system. Answered phones. Set up and maintained office administrative files. Assisted other staff with time keeping duties. The hardest part was the job was brand new so I had to set everything up and learn a lot of software programs in a short time. But with previous experience being a Secretary in other jobs during my career, that definitely helped me to fit in within a short amount of time. Asked a lot of questions and looked a lot of things up but it was easy because we had such a great staff who always supported me no matter what.
Wonderful people
Archival Assistant Volunteer (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 17, 2017
A wonderful opportunity for personal growth, career advancement and longevity. A real team atmosphere where you're encouraged and supported by those who work with you. And very fulfilling to serve military and civilian personnel!!!
2- year federal contract
Digital Imaging Clerk (Former Employee) –  Valmeyer, ILAugust 9, 2017
National Archives was a fun and sometimes frustrating place to work. It was fun working with a diverse production crew handling federal civilian personnel records. It was frustrating when the Congress couldn't get their act together and shut down the government laying us off.
Pros
made good friends there
Cons
2- year federal contract
Strict but Relaxed place
Refile Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 17, 2017
They encourage all employees to attend college and in exchange you get great pay and flexible hours! They allow you to make your own schedule whether it be full time or part time.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
You have to attend college to be an employee
NARA not a great place for contractors
Deputy Project Manager (Current Employee) –  College Park, MD 20740February 25, 2017
NARA appears to be a very relaxed environment to work in if employed as a federal government employee. The organization reeks of disdain and prejudice towards contractors.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Unfriendly place to work
Works with family life
Archives Technician (Current Employee) –  Spanish Lake, MOFebruary 15, 2017
National Personnel Records Center can be a great place to work with its flex time.

Its an exciting place to work if you like history and being entrusted with America's Veteran's Records. It gives you the chance to serve those who have served you.
Great workplace
Archives Technician (Current Employee) –  Spanish Lake, MODecember 5, 2016
Overall a great place to work especially to get experience and development.I would suggest this employer for anyone. You will learn a lot and supervisor are great to work with.
Lot of Nepotism, and cliques
Archives Technician (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 23, 2016
Seems like everyone is related to each other here, and if you aren't related you are outcasted. If you are able to get past the nepotism it is a good place to work. There are lots of small cliques that act like gangs.
benefits
Cons
nepotism, cliques
Interesting, challenging, and physical environment
Stock Associate (Current Employee) –  Lenexa, KSSeptember 26, 2016
Physically demanding and challenging, fast paced, pull and file documents from many boxes for customers, constant movement of climbing ladders and walking throughout the day.
Benefits
Cons
Demand of productivity throughout the day, pay
good supervisors to work for
Student Trainee, Archival Science (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 5, 2016
I was always been busy and there was something new I've learned everytime I was at this job. Quite interesting work to restore documents, books, etc. I enjoyed interacting with other people just to see how they work.
Pros
working with customers and other workers, archivists, etc.
Cons
since I was in the Pathways Program, it lasted only a year.
Just fine
Employee (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 1, 2016
Overall, the organization is in the middle of a large effort to change the culture. As with any cultural change there are aches and pains.
A good place to learn archival skills.
ARCHIVES TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Perris, CAMarch 16, 2016
I learned a lot about preservation and scanning. The people are ok but the executives at our main office are very distant. You must be a people person to work here which I really enjoy.
Pros
Serving the American people
It's a job.
Archives Technician (Current Employee) –  Lenexa, KSMarch 1, 2016
Typically, I go to the job and find out what I am assigned and from there I research files to to be shipped during the first part of the day depending on the workload. The other part of the day consists of returning documents to their proper location.
Pros
It is a secure job.
Cons
It is unprofessional.
Lacking Management
Attorney-Advisor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 4, 2016
Ineffective Management and organizational awareness. Co-workers are great, work life balance is great but the agency as a whole is not aware of the overall environment they foster
LEAD ARCHIVES TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 20, 2016
Good place to work. Solid starting job and program for student workers. Excellent opportunity for former military workers who enjoy working with and serving veterans. Work day consists of reviewing requests for records. Assigning personnel to retrieve record, extract requested material, copy and send requested information. File and refile military records. I learned that management was slow on listening to the people performing the work but did make changes that best facilitated the workers and the company while bridging gaps between workers and management along the way. I worked with some outstanding co-workers who cared about the job and the outstanding work they did proved it. The hardest part of the job for me was not being able to locate information that would be evidence of proof of service for vets and families whose records had been burned during the Big Fire in July 1973. On the flip side the most enjoyable part of the job was finding old information that did serve as proof 0f service enabling a vet or the family the opportunity to receive some form of benefits.
Pros
Continued service to well deserving vets
Discovering new history everyday
Archives Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 13, 2016
The National Archives, or NARA, allows for flex scheduling. You have the ability to come in from 6-9:30 am. You work eight hours with an unpaid 30 minute lunch. I worked primarily with microfilm and military service record books. I felt confident in my leadership from my most direct supervisor all the way to the top. I felt they were very transparent and very approachable. I feel the same way about my co-workers. My coworkers were top notch and always willing to be taught or to teach. My favorite part of my time there was witnessing customers view their family's military history. My only complaint of my time there was the constant fear of budget cuts. We were considered a nonessential agency and the rumor mill churned that we were going to be relieved of our duties.
Pros
Flex scheduling, annual bonuses, paid holidays, competitive leave, advancement
Cons
Job security, mandatory training
Easy work
Archival Scientist (Former Employee) –  Moraine, OHDecember 30, 2015
Easy work. There are lots of spiders and the warehouses are dusty, but the work is super easy. You get lots of exercise, so this job isn't for those with physical limitations. The pay is great and you gain a lot of PTO. Coworkers were very gossipy. Management sucked. But the work is very independent so it wasn't too bad. I also faced a lot of s3xual harassment. Gross facility.
Pros
Easy work. Lots of PTO. Good pay
Cons
Bad management.
Typical administrative (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 4, 2015
It depend on what type of individual you are. They have all types of jobs to do. Sitting behind a desk, moving records from place to place. One of the best place to work
Productive and efficient work place.