National Archives And Records Administration Employee Reviews

good supervisors to work for
Student Trainee, Archival Science (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 5, 2016
I was always been busy and there was something new I've learned everytime I was at this job. Quite interesting work to restore documents, books, etc. I enjoyed interacting with other people just to see how they work.
Pros
working with customers and other workers, archivists, etc.
Cons
since I was in the Pathways Program, it lasted only a year.
It's a job.
Archives Technician (Current Employee) –  Lenexa, KSMarch 1, 2016
Typically, I go to the job and find out what I am assigned and from there I research files to to be shipped during the first part of the day depending on the workload. The other part of the day consists of returning documents to their proper location.
Pros
It is a secure job.
Cons
It is unprofessional.
A good place to learn archival skills.
ARCHIVES TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Perris, CAMarch 16, 2016
I learned a lot about preservation and scanning. The people are ok but the executives at our main office are very distant. You must be a people person to work here which I really enjoy.
Pros
Serving the American people
Easy work
Archival Scientist (Former Employee) –  Moraine, OHDecember 30, 2015
Easy work. There are lots of spiders and the warehouses are dusty, but the work is super easy. You get lots of exercise, so this job isn't for those with physical limitations. The pay is great and you gain a lot of PTO. Coworkers were very gossipy. Management sucked. But the work is very independent so it wasn't too bad. I also faced a lot of s3xual harassment. Gross facility.
Pros
Easy work. Lots of PTO. Good pay
Cons
Bad management.
Discovering new history everyday
Archives Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 13, 2016
The National Archives, or NARA, allows for flex scheduling. You have the ability to come in from 6-9:30 am. You work eight hours with an unpaid 30 minute lunch. I worked primarily with microfilm and military service record books. I felt confident in my leadership from my most direct supervisor all the way to the top. I felt they were very transparent and very approachable. I feel the same way about my co-workers. My coworkers were top notch and always willing to be taught or to teach. My favorite part of my time there was witnessing customers view their family's military history. My only complaint of my time there was the constant fear of budget cuts. We were considered a nonessential agency and the rumor mill churned that we were going to be relieved of our duties.
Pros
Flex scheduling, annual bonuses, paid holidays, competitive leave, advancement
Cons
Job security, mandatory training
Just fine
Employee (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 1, 2016
Overall, the organization is in the middle of a large effort to change the culture. As with any cultural change there are aches and pains.
Lacking Management
Attorney-Advisor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 4, 2016
Ineffective Management and organizational awareness. Co-workers are great, work life balance is great but the agency as a whole is not aware of the overall environment they foster
Benefits are great, Work Sucks!
Archives Technician (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 21, 2015
Underpaid. Worried more about production than quality. Management is disconnected from the work force. Usually able to work as much overtime as wanted. Holidays off, monthly and yearly bonuses (based off production).
Pros
Benefits, holidays off, Monthly bonuses, yearly bonuses, flex work time
Cons
underpaid, stressful, boring work, too many chiefs
Honorary MBA in Managment Strategies
Supervisory Archives Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Bruno, CASeptember 7, 2015
I value the formative education I received in service to the Federal Government at the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). It was humbling, revealing and informative. This was not a dream job or an ideal job environment, but was a platform for unforeseen growth. As Woody Allen once quoted, "Everybody is a nice guy at a picnic." Or -- it's easy to be wonder employee in a dream job. The reality is, my merit and skills are better tested and improved when I am in a non-dream job. I learned a great deal about myself, my capabilities as a leader of people and projects and how to overcome difficulties and uphold work ethics in a contrary work environment. I am grateful for the opportunity and growth my service at NARA provided.
Pros
Learning and growth
Cons
No room for advancement
LEAD ARCHIVES TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 20, 2016
Good place to work. Solid starting job and program for student workers. Excellent opportunity for former military workers who enjoy working with and serving veterans. Work day consists of reviewing requests for records. Assigning personnel to retrieve record, extract requested material, copy and send requested information. File and refile military records. I learned that management was slow on listening to the people performing the work but did make changes that best facilitated the workers and the company while bridging gaps between workers and management along the way. I worked with some outstanding co-workers who cared about the job and the outstanding work they did proved it. The hardest part of the job for me was not being able to locate information that would be evidence of proof of service for vets and families whose records had been burned during the Big Fire in July 1973. On the flip side the most enjoyable part of the job was finding old information that did serve as proof 0f service enabling a vet or the family the opportunity to receive some form of benefits.
Pros
Continued service to well deserving vets
authentication
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  College Park, MDSeptember 4, 2015
A typical day at work is almost like security work. I had to walk around and make sure no one damaged the documents. All documents are kept in storage. When a researcher wants to view something I look up the documents and give it to them.

I learned how to be patient during the day. This work can become very boring but I learned how to manage my time and make use of every minute during work hours.

Management is very strict. This is mostly because the documents are all authentic and they don't want anything to happen to them. So a strict management is understandable. Coworkers were all friendly.

The hardest part of the job is waiting for time to go by. Just watching the researchers do research gets very boring.

The most enjoyable part is looking for the requested documents. They are coded and all stored in a very specific order. So finding them and putting them back is like a puzzle-very interesting.
Pros
government job
Cons
boring
Productive and efficient work place.
Archives Technician (Current Employee) –  Morrow, GAOctober 21, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a large company.
Life at the National Archives
Archives Aide (Current Employee) –  Ellenwood, GAJuly 5, 2015
A typical work day includes scanning, quality checking Department of Labor medical files, and loading file on to a hard drive I learned how to scan using a high-speed scanner and Adobe software. Indexing files by name and social security number. I have beautiful relationship with my coworkers. I have a great management team. The hardest part of job is scanning different textual papers with out damaging the documents. The most enjoyable part of my job building my computer skills,
Pros
Computer skills
Cons
Short lunch breaks
Typical administrative (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 4, 2015
It depend on what type of individual you are. They have all types of jobs to do. Sitting behind a desk, moving records from place to place. One of the best place to work
goos starting job for students
Archives Technician (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 5, 2015
would have liked to see more effort on the bosses to keep good employees after they graduate from school. i liked the pay, insurance and benifits.
Pros
good work expeirence
Cons
stabiity
New Beginnings
Support Staff/Archives Aide (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 7, 2015
Deer Valley is a good place for new beginnings for the entire family. They help families to engage and care for their loved ones in a respectful and loving environment.
special project distribution and installation
Service Desk Specialist II (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, Mo.March 13, 2015
I was brought on for special projects. I would set up new secondary monitors along with the installation of video cards. I was also installed and set up printers and scanners, everyone in the building had there own personal printer. I also did inventory of all desktops, laptops and printers. I would set up new desks with computers printers and phones for new employee's and make sure that the network jacks were hot.
Working at NARA
Archives Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 2, 2015
Working at NARA (National Archives Records Administration) my day consisted of communicating daily with a staff of 25 via emails, telephones, and meetings, ensuring that we kept federal governments preserved and safe. In this position maintaining a high energy level is important as well as knowing the importance of teamwork. It would be impossible for something to get done in a timely manner solely on one individual. The management here at NARA was not ideal for this position especially in encouraging staff to succeed and often make the remarks of negativity. Many individuals such as myself thought that management could have played more of a leadership role and manager role, however, despite management the best part of my job was working with everyone. Everyone was always ready and eager to help and encourage one another. That has truly defined the definition of teamwork and success in which I will forever be grateful for being once employed at NARA.
Educational experieince