Reports to: VP of Finance and Administration
Supervises: Accounting Manager, Financial Analyst
External Contact(s): NAR, members, vendors
FLSA Status: Exempt
Manage the preparation of financial statements and annual budget for the Institute and consolidated operations.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Perform monthly accounting close and prepare preliminary, monthly consolidated financial statements for the Institute.
A. Coordinate the accounting processes in all departments to ensure accurate and timely posting of revenue and expense.
B. Prepare necessary journal entries for month end and year end accounting closings.
C. Create variance reports to explain variances and track budget.
2. Supervise and review monthly bank reconciliation process for the Institute.
3. Assist in annual audit process.
A. Work with Institute and NAR appointed auditors by providing supporting schedules and financial data in support of the auditor’s requests for information.
4. Create the annual operating and capital budgets for presentation and approval by the Institute’s governing bodies based upon information provided by Institute management and staff.
A. Update budget information and allocations as necessary.
B. Analyze income and expense projections contained in proposed and final versions of the annual budget.
C. Prepare budget forecasts and projections as requested throughout fiscal year.
5. Maintenance of course income and expense schedules to be used in tracking course revenue, expenses, cash receipts and deferred revenue.
A. Reconcile deferred revenue, course revenue and payments to course sponsors to general ledger and TIMSS database accounts.
6. Maintain an effective financial reporting function.
A. Perform monthly analysis of financial statements for distribution to staff, Management Team and Budget Committee members.
B. Create specialized financial statements and reports as needed by Institute management and staff.
7. Maintain effective and appropriate accounting procedures and internal controls.
A. Recommend, create and enforce accounting policies and procedures.
B. Review various controls within the accounting process and TIMSS database to ensure controls are designed and operating effectively.
C. Monitor and remediate policies as necessary.
8. Provide ongoing support to staff regarding budgeting, accounting and financial reporting, including general instructing, scheduling and reviewing of others performing related work.
9. Supervise and mentor direct reports, Accounting Manager and Financial Analyst.
10. Perform other duties and responsibilities as requested by supervisor.
Qualifications (Education, Experience, Skills):
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting; CPA.
- Minimum 5-7 years experience in finance or accounting, some supervisory experience preferred.
- Knowledge of Excel, general ledger software and various other accounting software; Great Plains experience preferred.
- A self learner with excellent accounting skills.
- Some travel may be required.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V.