National Carriers Employee Reviews

Great Family Atmosphere
Owner Operator Driver (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXSeptember 27, 2017
I loved my job at National Carriers. It was from day one a great place. If you have a problem, someone is always there to help you with it. I was fortunate enough to have a dedicated position with them for the past 7 years. Unfortunately at this time, because of a work related injury, I am unable to do my job. They still check in on me to see how I am doing and give me encouragement. Now that's what family does and National is very much a family oriented company.
Pros
Great Family enviroment
Experience
OTR Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie TxAugust 2, 2017
This was a good place to gain Experience driving otr but that was it they lied to you all the time you are lucky to make your home time on time it was not a friendly environment
they play games
otr driver (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJuly 19, 2017
They like playing guessing games. they lie about everything. when csr looses an account. They blame it on the drivers. they also use smart drive dash cam/driver monitoring system. and yes the driver managers can see them. they also enjoy calling and waking the drivers up during early morning hours. the refuse to reschedule appointments for loads. they use an easy "excuse" saying it's the contract requirements. so look foreword to a 3% ontime delivery. anytime you need to have an appointment changed. look foreword to getting into a fight. every time!!! they pay is low and average. but does pay better then other companies. there is no drop and hook left here. 85% of the accounts are gone. they are always late picking up and delivering. they even lost the loads from the plants. driver managers plan the service for the trucks. so like any company. as long as you keep the def tank full your fine. the trucks due have the 265 horse power paccar mx13 engine with 10 speed fuller advantage automatic transmissions. trucks are governed at 64.8 mph. and they are cut way back. so get use to crawling down the highway. the shop in irving is bad. they will fix your truck. and leave it on the yard. and go home without saying anything to you. another guessing game they play. liberal is better to go to for repairs. If you quit, wait and quit when your in dallas. or they will leave you sitting on the road with no miles. pretty much starving you into submission or to try an get an abandonment charge on you.
Pros
nice low powered trucks
Cons
your worst nightmare come true.
A job
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 26, 2017
Was not a good place to work.. They want you to wait all day for a load then drive all night. when you were up all day.. the most enjoyable part was you
Productive and fun at times
Driver (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXApril 26, 2017
National Carriers is the most awesome company to me i am kept running the pay is awesome dispatch is awesome they get me where I need to go when it is time sometimes a day or 2 early and they never hold that against the driver they treat you with respect and as a person not just a driver they want long term employees and overall they are an excellent company
Pros
Excellent pay benefits dispatch
Cons
Nice new trucks, no miles, poor management
OTR Solo Driver (Former Employee) –  Irving Tx Liberal, ksMarch 7, 2017
This company was once great. Now The same Family that owns Trans Am owns controlling interest of Naional...Miles are low.. Mechanics trash a truck you turned over for repairs spotless.. They will force dispatch you to do city work. They have added Dash cams. Layover pay cut from 100 to 50( And you have to fight just to get that. Operations is mostly guys from Marten Transportation... No Dental coverage, Expensive insurance..More money taken from the driver to buy needless upgrades for trucks.
DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE. ..I barely was able to get 2000 miles a week. They will promose you the world but the proof is in the paycheck..I strongly suggest look elsewhere
Hard work friendly inviornment a few concerns
trailor repair (Former Employee) –  Liberal, KSJanuary 27, 2017
You never really knew what to expect everyday was different. Some days we would have ten to fifteen trailers that would need done and on other days there would be four or five. I learned how to tell if the tires on the trailer were good or bad and I learned how to make sure everything was good and working. Clean, safe work environment, and extremely organized. The hardest part about the job was learning how to mount the tires and changing shocks. Knowing that the trailer was safe when it left the shop.
Pros
An hour long lunch and sundays off
Cons
only got one break other than lunch and we never knew if were gonna have work on saturdays
National not worth your time
Nanny/Babysitter (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLJanuary 12, 2017
All I can say is dont waist your time with thease people they are liers driver mgrs dont care about you all they want is money no detention pay no fuel bonus they wont get you home no family time just a waist of time dont fool with them youll be sorry.
Pros
Nothing good to say
Cons
They suck
Productive and fun workplace
Diesel Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXJanuary 9, 2017
Most enjoyable learning new thing everyday and getting hand on training on the job. Learning how to solve and fix daily issues
Pros
Hand on training
Cons
Long Hrs
Helpful when they want to be
Truck Driver (OTR) (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXNovember 18, 2016
Their DOT doctor only approve you for a 3 month period and they keep pulling you in. HHeconstantly threatened drivers with blocking them from the road until he can find something nonstick on your record that he will refuse to clear you for more than 3 months at a time.
The company is technically a good company to dive for if you can overlook their DOT physical who office constantly smells like a paint factory
Pros
You can run miles
Cons
Lousy DOT doctor
Preaching
OTR Driver/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville FloridaNovember 3, 2016
The company preaches about being a family but when you said multiple times in a hotel for a week that Family Value disappears would not give me a trainer a new truck let me sit in hotels multiple times
Pros
Cons
He's like any other OTR company
run, run, run, no miles and no $$$
Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Liberal, KSOctober 4, 2016
As a driver I expect to run miles and have less sit time and make more money. all around National Carriers is a good company but it did not work out for me, that doesn't mean it will not work out for you
Dont work for them
Former driver (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXAugust 9, 2016
I have been with national for about a year. They do not pay layover or detion pay. The dispatchers try to micro manage the trucks I ran as a second seat and they only care for the first seat.They Dont allow you to stop and shower or do laundry.We were only getting about 2500 miles a week for a team.I would not recommend this company.If you run as a team they give the first seat the fuel bonus and not the second seat person.
Cons
No detion pay or layover pay
I enjoyed my time at National Carriers
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Liberal, KSAugust 6, 2016
National Carriers seemed to be as "Driver Orientened" as a trucking company could be. They did their best to get me where I needed to be when I needed to be there if I had something special going on. The introduction of automatic transmissions in their trucks was a Godsend.

A typical day driving a 18 wheeler has got to be the same no matter who you pull for. How you are treated is what makes the day either hard or easy, and I found that National did their best to make it a pleasant day.

I would recommend them highly.
Pros
Automatic Transmissions, Paperless logs
Cons
Just the hours that the lifestyle demands
Very good miles and paychecks
Driver (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJuly 30, 2016
I really enjoyed my time with National. If you show them you can and will run, you will get 3k or more miles a week. I regularly brought home between 900 to 1200 a week as a company driver. Only reason I left is because I got a local job to be home every night. I will miss this company.
Pros
Miles, money, epuipment, people.
Cons
Hard to get ahold of dispatch sometimes.
Very productive ...
Lease Operator (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXJuly 12, 2016
Great trucking company to work for. Why? All you have to do is want it and willing to work for it. More miles to drive no matter what part of the country you live in. Like NO company will do they do not babysit or read grown folks mind. All you need is a plan and they will actually help build your future, ask then get involved it's that simple. Was a company driver now lease. Grossed over 84k in just 5.5 mths! Now compare that!
Pros
Mthly town hall meeting for drivers with free lunch Honesty Fair Consistent
Cons
Must improve on terminals to have place for drivers to wash clothes shower etc
Great company to work for!
Truck Driver Class A (Current Employee) –  Liberal, KSJune 25, 2016
This company is great! They treat their drivers with respect and they are honest. Management os great. Trucks are Kenworth T680s top notch very well maintained and run great. You also get the miles if you want to run hard. Love you NCI!
Pros
Read above
Cons
Absolutely nothing
Good workplace
OTR Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJune 14, 2016
Good people, good equipment, good mechanics. Majority of fleet under factory warranty. All trailers are top notch and if something happens the company takes care of the problem immediately
Don't work for them
Truck Driver (OTR) (Former Employee) –  Brawley, CAJune 2, 2016
Please please drivers don't even look at this company unless you want to work for penats, I was taking home 400 to 500 dollars a week working 24/7 ,they have a building full a recruiters in dallas area they even have a company doctor for dot examination what does that tell you? They have to be replacing drivers every day , they conduct orientation every week . Also they steal money from your first paycheck you have to pay for a lock $100 if you go to home depot you can get it for $40 when I resigned they refuse to to pay me my least 3 days and reimbursement for my lock.

Now I have question for you.

Do you want to work for a company like this?
Pros
No pros
Cons
All explained above
refrig co.
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXApril 4, 2016
steady work,good equip,maintenance,good communication,on the road alot,preplans provided ahead of time,new trucks friendly atmosphere,with safety important
Pros
steady running
Cons
at end heavy micro mgment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Carriers. Our community is ready to answer.

National Carriers Reviews by Location