National Church Residences

National Church Residences Employer Reviews

Nice place to work
STNA (Current Employee), Chillicothe, OHApril 9, 2014
I have had fun working here. The staff are easy to get along with and each of my residents holds a place in my heart.
Productive work place, experiencing different cultures and working with many elderly patients
State Tested Nurses Aide (Current Employee), Columbus, OhApril 4, 2014
Pros: paid milage
Cons: lots of driving, no scheduled breaks
For this job, I do a lot of driving and travel from client to client. I take care of both hospice clients and home health clients. I assist the clients with activities of daily living such as bathing, dressing, range of motion exercises, and preparing the client's meals. The management is very friendly and always willing to work with my school schedule. – more... Unfortunately, because all of the STNA's travel all over columbus, we don't typically see eachother. The hardest part of the job in my opinion is working with client's who do not want care from you or have not established trust with you, and refuse care. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that I made a difference for a client and made their day a little better. I enjoy helping people and feel a great sense of accomplishment when I do so. – less
Enjoyable and challenging career
MDS Coordinator (Current Employee), Columbus, OHMarch 4, 2014
Pros: office of my own, time to complete my work, all shifts, pay is acceptable
Cons: constantly waiting on other disciplines to do their part of the mds, lots of mtgs
I enjoy being an MDS Coordinator. The job comes with responsibility, notable importance, challenges to bring in the most money, rug up the scores. I have a good MDS team. Our benefits are ok, not outstanding! The benefits are my own office and respect I have earned and display to others as well. My residents are my family.
Needs Improvement
Staff Accountant (Former Employee), Columbus, OHFebruary 19, 2014
They will hire you and tell you they are trying you out for 90 days. They will throw you into everything and not provide training on things you have not done previously. Once they have gotten through the busy time they will tell you to clean it all up and then let you go right before your 90 days. I have also spoken to a staffing agency who confirmed – more... that NCR is know for doing this to people. – less
too good to be true with changes, management micromanages
aide (Former Employee), Corporate location home and facility clientsFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: heard that 2 years prior to my employment it was a solid team with positive outlook
Cons: trnover is so high in healthcare, the reputation was tarnished because of certain leadersip. disorganized move to new building, lack of communication in healthcare area about many things
Gave ncr benefit of the doubt even with poor recommendations from healcare professionals. Live and learn. Picked up asap that mid-level-leaders, with unsuitable titles had been promoted for tenure and education, not because of management skills when I was talked to like a child. Schedulers and office staff are puppets to a marketing guy and higher management. – more... Marketing guy gossiped and poked around to our new staff upon hiring and I was told he was not a loyal co-worker regarding teamwork and appeared accurate from observation and industry talk. Disliked that unprofessional, controlling, gossiping and condescending leadership and atmosphere. Shook my head once too many at the culture and treatment of many educated and respectable professionals. I felt I could lose my job too often if I didn't do what I was told versus what I knew or did knew how to do right. – less
Great at first...
LPN Charge Nurse (Current Employee), Cuyahoga Falls, OhioJanuary 18, 2014
Pros: pay, benefits
Cons: no time for breaks, overtime, management, unhappy stna's
I have been with National Church Residences for several years now. At first I loved my job, my co-workers were great and management really cared. It just seems like within the past year, year and a half everything has gone down hill. I am an LPN but all of my STNA's hate how they are overworked and underpaid.

Management will sit and listen to your – more... concerns but not do anything to change or help the problem. For the past several months we have been short a part time nurse and management have been taking there good old time trying to find someone. In turn, I am having to either come into work early, stay late or come in on my day off.

The pay is the only thing I am staying for. In the past three years my pay has increased almost 3.25, Which is nice.

If they could just hire more help and hire all new management, I would love working for National Church Residences.

Happy worker = Productivity
Unhappy Worker= Writes the above complaints :( – less
Good place to work, chance for advancement
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Waverly, OhioJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: co-workers, making a difference
Rewarding job knowing you are making a difference in the lives of so many people.
Excited to go to work
Program coordinator for an adult day care program (Former Employee), Columbus, ohDecember 25, 2013
Pros: upbeat coworker atmosphere, caring clients, overal pleasant environment
Cons: got hurt on job and company terminated even though it was job related
Was excited to go to work everyday. Really enjoyed my clients and coworkers
Very sorry for the change in leadership, poor conditions of environment and culture which led to my leaving
Hospice Nurse (Former Employee), Columbus, OHDecember 8, 2013
Pros: ability to work in various buildings, to move around in a fast paced environment
Cons: the lack of opportunities to receive the level of education to stay ontop of the field, the increase growth without updates and lack of employee satisfaction activities
Visiting patients daily for assessment purposes, crisis management, medical evaluating, and to assess approaching death signs and symptoms. I learned a great deal from facility staff and from other staff on my team. My co-workers, including myself attempted to and did well at pulling strategies together to provide coverage and schedules to decrease – more... the burnout we all had d/t decreased support, turn over of team members and failed attempts at on-call process and positions. The hardest part of my job was being a witness and a victim of unprofessional management communication techniques that were intimidating and the morale that resulted of the team, including nonnurses, without reason to be treated as such. I also did not care for the marketing department's initial support and communicating that declined with time and led to unfounded inuendos about some team members that I unfortunately overheard through paper thin office walls. I was ashamed to hear such personal and unprofessional insults with my own ears. The most enjoyable part was the patient interaction, positive encouragement of all team members and outside support we sought from another to feel valued and inspired. Working with the families and the entire team to work on support was a success I enjoyed seeing, despite feeling it may have not been enough help to provide, by my bosses. After the continuation of turnover, I decided I could do the same work in a healthier environment, did more homework on the company, and am glad I decided to move on. – less
Great workplace
Resident Housing Service Coordinator (Former Employee), Alhambra, CADecember 1, 2013
Pros: flexible work schedule, work at your own pace
Cons: got boring very quickly
I loved this place! Great work schedule and outstanding manager. However, the pay is not very competitive.
Strong mission and dedication to their residents
Property Manager (Current Employee), Huntsville, TXOctober 22, 2013
If you are dedicated to making the lives of seniors a better experience, this is the place to work.
productive and fun environment to work in
It is a day service for the elderly & disabled (Current Employee), Columbus, OHOctober 12, 2013
Pros: supervision for clients who need 24 hour supervision
A typical at work I pick up clients at there homes & drive them to the day service. I learned how to be compassionate to people with disabilities. Management makes sure we treat everyone with equality. My co-workers are easy to get along with and helpfull when you need assistance. Getting stuck in traffic when family the clients expect to be at the – more... day service on time and in the evening when family members expect the clients to be home by a certain time. Knowing that the clients are in a safe & comfortable environment. – less
Challenging on many levels.
Case Manager (Current Employee), Columbus, OHSeptember 15, 2013
Fast paced Case Management. Very meaningful to work with the home population. Overall, a good start.
Unprofessional and Defamatory
Facility Maintenance Technician (Current Employee), Columbus, OHSeptember 7, 2013
I have been a maintenance technician for NCR in the Kansas City, Blue Springs, MO area for over a year. This company is putting back millions in savings on labor by using maintenance personnel for housekeeping, HVAC (tech II work), snow removal, make ready preparations (under extreme conditions), grounds keeping, mold remediation.

In a professionally – more... operated property management company these duties are contracted out since they are specialties and in some cases requiring state licensing, and the maintenance technician is used primarily for repairs and work orders from residents.

In addition, NCR enjoys the monetary savings for their favorite investments and expansion projects by over working their entire staff. As a maintenance tech, I have been expected to service three buildings in two cities (25.0 miles apart) without mileage compensation. That adds up to about 180 units. I am spending about $300.00 dollars a month on fuel. My hourly wage is $12.50/hour and I haven't received a raise since my first day over a year ago.

They claim that raises are connected with taking many hours of liability and fair housing courses. The courses help NCR receive discounts on their liability insurance premiums. According to managers and other maintenance personnel I have spoken with, passing over 100 hours of courses will amount to a 33 cent raise with a good review. Because I was over worked, I had to take the courses at home on weekends, in addition to being on call and responding to weekend and after hours emergencies.

In one of the buildings, a new manager was hired. She was originally hired as a PT office file clerk. When the manager who hired her left, this clerk was shoved into the manager's seat. In her verbal communications with residents and staff, she displays a condescending and somewhat arrogant demeanor related to her absolute authority and control over the behavior of others. She uses passive/aggressive terminology to assure compliance with her very high expectations.

In her first month, residents came to me with the complaint that they would sit in plain view of her office for up to 20 minutes, while she was on her cell phone having family arguments. Residents also expressed frustration with the manager's complacency and lack of response to their issues and concerns.

I have received verbal complaints from health workers regarding empty antibacterial hand soap dispensers in the restrooms for weeks, after I had placed an order request with this manager in anticipation of the shortage.

I have worked diligently to live up to the expectations of maintaining three buildings and several managers' expectations. I have been told by many residents on a regular basis that they like my work and respectful attitude.

After I spoke with someone in upper management about the above issues with the new building manager, she began to critique the time and quality of my work and even criticized my polite demeanor with residents in her building.

Since then I have received three disciplinary actions from this manager. As a result, I have been obliged to search for new employment under the fear of being fired prematurely, since I would have to vacate my apartment within 15 days of my employment termination.

This manager has aggressively sought to force me to quit or walk out on my job after I have provided NCR with good and faithful service. I have suffered both physically and mentally, due to NCRs policy of unfair expectations and administrative abuse against me.

Frankly, I would obviously not recommend employment or placement of the elderly with this unprofessional company.

I wouldn't be surprised if they have been sued. – less
Great company to work for
Residential Service Coordinator (Current Employee), Yonkers, NYAugust 23, 2013
NCR is a very good company to work for. I work with Senior Citizens.
Helping communities & elderly care
Housing Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Upper ArlingtonAugust 15, 2013
Pros: doing fun potlucks
Cons: unorganized & too many clicks
Too many cursing, hanging out not doing their job, got too many tax issues with a lot of penalties, liens, & notices. people quitting left & right. others that are trying to stay suck up to mngmt and abuse OT. No job security or growth. if your differ race you will be ousted by headquarters. management is mean & cruel. the reason these properties are – more... lacking because headquarters do too much golfing & kicking it. – less
fun
Driver (Current Employee), Columbus, OHJuly 24, 2013
Pros: get to be outside
Cons: rain leet hail or snow
a lot of work for low pay but I love the clients witch makes me love my job
Contingent S.T.N.A.
S.T.N.A. (Former Employee), Columbus, OHJuly 23, 2013
I have enjoyed working in various locations one-on-one with Clients. I very much appreciate the trust they put in this company and myself to welcome me as they have.
Horrible
LPN Charge Nurse (Current Employee), Gahanna, OHJuly 21, 2013
This place has a facade about itself. The employees are hard to work with as a new nurse. There are some that help and others that backstab you asap. You get wrote up for stupid stuff. The benefits suck they are 261. for insurance then 8 g outta pocket before anything kicks in. You have to remember this is a national company. Gee health is important – more... to them bu they can't give their employees better health insurance??? Management has turned over 3 times since Ive been there... They can't hold a DON or a Admin.. also had 2 recruiters in this 3 mos. Not sure why but oh well. They change things when they come in, things that baren't broken and then they don't ask for a opinion before they do... then they implement the change and write you up for not following. The continuity of care is horrific...The most enjoyable part is the residences. – less
Poorly managed-dont care about residents or employees
facility maintenance (Current Employee), new yorkApril 3, 2013
Pros: i am independent and work on my own
Cons: no other staff to assist, minimal support from management
This organization will suck the life out of you. The more you are willing to give the more they are willing to take. Since my employment with this company I have been lied to by management, my concerns for the facility and residents have been ignored. My managers favorite saying is that theres no money in the budget. But at the end of the year she gets – more... a big bonus for the budgetary restraint while the maintenance staff and residents go without. Residents at my facility are intimidated by the manager who says her only responsibility is to process paperwork, and the residents are afraid to complain because they are afraid of retaliation. I woud be too if I complained and was told that if you dont like it then move. This companies only concern is the almighty dollar and getting that federally subsidized money and putting bandaids on any problems, be it personnel, or facility based. this company is a prime example of whats wrong in this country, the rich getting richer from governmental subsidies while everyone else pays for it. – less

NCRrebuke1 – May 7, 2013

Im full time Maintenance and have been tasked with 140 plus apartments Managers are spread thinner than Skippy peanut butter, their never there when a problem arise. Im constantly stopped on the job by accounts that are not paid or catalogs that simply don't carry the product, Leaving residence stranded and contractors waning for their cash 3-6 months later. (((cash shortages are catching up with NCR as of May 2013))) they cant even find contractors willing to work (((word is traveling fast this company is to slow to function in 2013))). 2.5 years into employment I still haven't been offered phone reimbursement or mileage as the booklet states. The annual raises are 1970s burnt offerings 33 whole penny's...... Senior management runs the show like Jim and Tammy Faye Baker borderline embezzlement. With kick backs of a whole 1000 dollars to high school educated managers. And yes we have figured out your silly game of hurry up...its all BS. If your into swapping colors you better update your turn times from 2008 rules. That is all BS. (5-10 days is average) Advice is to top management quit building more buildings in Ohio and concentrate on faster vouchers and contractor repayments.....Increase small petty funds at each site.... require us to shop local because your HD supply catalogs are ripping you off....SERIOUSLY (may be OK for little Poe dunk towns but not major towns the local hardware beats everything in that catalog)

About National Church Residences

Overview National Church Residences is a not-for-profit 501(C)(3) corporation committed to excellence that transforms the lives – Read more