National Cooperative Bank

National Cooperative Bank Employer Reviews

One of DC's best places to work
Vice President, Business Development (Current Employee), Arlington, VAJune 25, 2014
Great organization. Exposure to many of the inner workings of a financial institution. Diverse client portfolio=learning about many different industries.
Not worth it if you're a progressive professional
Prefer not yo say it (Current Employee), Arlington, VAApril 4, 2014
Pros: opportunity to learn if you are a fresh graduate professional
Cons: poor benefits, micromanagement, poor balance with personal life
In my unit, micromanagement was the rule…. hard to do something without being penalize or "embarrassed" for something else. Everyone seems to be at each one's world and the word team is almost inexistent. Compensation is poor for the level of hires they are expecting, they refuse investing in their employees but neither reward you if you do it by yourself….Really, I do not recommend to anyone with serious ambitions to progress working here…..
Available upon request
Loan Accountant (Current Employee), Arlington, VANovember 18, 2013
My current position as a Loan Accountant allows me to fundamentally apply professional knowledge of accounting principles, automated systems and regulations to process a wide variety of transactions on a daily basis. The sensitive issues I handle as my primary duty is to write procedures on my job responsibilities, reconcile various cash, clearing, operating, liability and suspense accounts. On a bi-monthly basis, I meet with middle and upper management to discuss the analysis/variances on these accounts and what journal entries are needed to clear the variances before month-end. I prepare account reconciliations, posts adjusting and closing entries in the financial system (Lawson) and resolve any accounting discrepancies. Because I am a system administrator for our financial system (McCracken), I am knowledgeable of how to apply various analyses to solve many accounting discrepancies and/or problems related to our financial software. For instance, one of the sensitive analyses I perform are file maintenance requests. These requests are submitted from various users and I determine the root causes, identify trends, presents internal controls to upper management and work with teams of five or more employees to resolve system and/or user issues. These analyses sometimes include what internal controls I must present to upper management in order for the discrepancy/problem not to re-occur.
Cool Company
Senior Commercial Loan Closer (Former Employee), Arlington, VAJuly 15, 2013
Pros: location and great co-workers
Cons: not enough vacation time
Begin your day by enjoying your breakfast with coworker. Do your job. Very relaxed environment. Not to much stress. I learned a lot here. Closed a lot of loans, enjoyed my borrowers and coworkers. The hardest part of this job was preparing documents from scratch. The most enjoyable part was making my borrowers happy.
Good working conditions