National Council on Aging Employee Reviews

Always something new to learn
Geographic Information Systems Technician (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CAJune 11, 2017
Every day was an adventure. I was able to improve my computer skills due to the excellent tutoring from the analysts there. Learned how to navigate through the different programs that are used in Geographic Information Systems.
Pros
Stimulating conversations
Cons
Times when I had to figure out on my own to fix a problem.
Very easy organization to work for
Senior Aid/Receptionist Assigned to Workforce WV (Former Employee) –  Wheeling, WVApril 12, 2017
If you are unhappy or feel there is nothing left to learn at a particular training site you have the option of moving to another training site. They are very flexible in the training that you receive.
Pros
They work with you on getting sites that are within your travel range
Cons
Sometimes you get stuck in a trainingsite that you really dont want.
Great place in Washington, DC
Director of Social Impact (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 26, 2017
NCOA is a well-established and respected national NGO dedicated to improving life for older Americans. Colleagues are committed to the mission. They are innovative, smart and supportive.
Great place to work at
Summer Fellow (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VANovember 11, 2016
Interesting place to work at as it has multiple aspects from older adults research to application of different types of programs related to financial security and medicare and medicaid
productive and enjoyable working place
Intake Specialist (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAOctober 25, 2016
National Council on Aging is an interesting place to work at as it is an organization where diversity is displayed.People from different backgrounds and different walks of life bring a wealth of experience which we all at the company shared and learn from
Pros
Diversity
Cons
No health benefits
Helping and learning at different facilities was a great experience
Intake Specialist at various businesses in OKC,PK (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 17, 2016
Very good and informative for seniors like myself who think they are worthless for some reason or another. I was allowed to help out in the victims from Hurricane Catrina through Fema diaster relief then, I was able to work at job sites in poor communites helping people with jobs and special housing,front and back office duties and meet the rest of NICOA members like myself.
Pros
Learning new technology
Cons
Letting a company work for you with team work
Informative and interesting place to work. Working with scientists and doctors is very challenging.
Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 29, 2016
Co-workers were very appreciative of the assistance. Environmental protection is a world-wide concern that affects everyone on earth.
Pros
Every day was interesting. Learned something new and relevant.
Cons
Position was part-time.
This work focuses on patient education
Remote Health Coach On-line Mentor and Educator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 6, 2016
most enjoyable part of job: patients
hardest part of job: it's remote
management: fantastic - international
Productive with assistance with Senior Citizen Employment Training
Intake Specialist/Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJuly 4, 2016
Enrolling 55 and older individuals in the Senior Community Service Employment, determined eligibility of participants using screening procedures, maintained files and program documentation and assigned seniors in my assigned areas, collaborated with community agencies, businesses and educational institutions.
I learned that by listening sometimes is all that is needed to provide assistance.
Management was very supportive and understanding.
Co-workers were very informative and helpful with new workers.
Hardest part of the job was obtaining required paperwork from participants.
The most enjoyable part of job was entering the data into the computer and keeping the files organized.
Pros
Keeping Busy
Cons
Making appointments
Learning the inner workings of a county Govt office has proven rewarding
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 7, 2016
This is a training program sponsored by the US Dept of labor to introduce senior citizens into the workplace. There is no salary, just a weekly stipend. IT has been a fulfilling experience and the extra money has come is very handy
This is a good program for Seniors
Employment Facilitator (Temporary) (Current Employee) –  Goldsboro, NCSeptember 21, 2015
This program provides individuals 55 and older on-the-job training to assist them in obtaining gainful employment. It's very rewarding to know that you have helped another person find something that will allow them to support their-selves.

I am the Facilitator for 24 people in two different counties.It can be challenging, but rewarding when you see all your efforts pay off.
Challenging and interesting place to work
Employment Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 14, 2015
I am a case manager at NCOA. I have 25-30 participants from all walks of life: Ex-felons, homeless, low income-poverty, low prospects of finding work, and all over 55 years old. My position is to find them training so they can go back to work. This takes patience, follow-up and organization.
Pros
rewarding when the goal isd accomplished
Cons
Many dissappoionments and unreliable information from participants
Good, small place to work
Senior Developer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 28, 2015
A good place to work. Small office, even smaller once everyone in New York was asked to work from home. One project to work on, and one project only.
Pros
Flexible hours, little supervision
Cons
Management doesn't understand technology
Worked a different places basic office work.
NCOA Volunteer trainee business admnistration (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, NJSeptember 11, 2014
Looking for another pklace to work because my contract runs out February 2015.
Pros
nice people
Cons
Not enough jobs to work at to use all my education and background.
Comfortable environment and people friendly
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 30, 2013
Productive in computer literacy and training programs. Only allowed 15 hours per week per the program.
Pros
Social lunches that allows meeting new people
Cons
health care
Rewarding job that helps older Americans re-enter the workplace
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  120 W. Danville St., South Hill, Va.June 28, 2013
I start my day at 9:00 A.M. I make phone calls to participants, host sites and potential employers. I schedule meetings to sign up new participants. They are then placed in host sites to receive training. I sign up non profit agencies to become host sites. I set up training for participants at area agencies. I make appointments for participants to interview with employers.
The hardest part of my job, is knowing my participants interview for a job and a younger person ends up with that job! I enjoy placing my participants in jobs. They have trained hard for a position and when they finally get a job, that makes this job exceptionally gratifying.
Pros
mileage reimbursement
Cons
limited resources, so I can't help more individuals
NCOA is a temporay placement organization.
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Wheeling, WVFebruary 26, 2013
As a receptionist, answering the phone and greeting people is a big part of my day. I have interacted with a variety of people from the homeless to CEO's. People want to work, they want to feel needed, and NCOA helps fulfill this need. It's very rewarding to help someone get on the program. I will take information needed to pass on to our Employment Facilitators who meet with potential participants. Having a good rapport with my co-workers is very important and I have been lucky in that area. I work with a great group of people.

The hardest part of the job can also be the most enjoyable part of the job; when talking with people who are down on their luck, from a widow with no money coming in to a man who's been homeless and is trying to get back on his feet. Another aspect is when someone wants to get on the program and they make too much money and don't quality.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
no benefits
fun to work for
Office Aide (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 4, 2013
customer service get job for older people go to job site talk to people encharge ask about jobs that are coming up for hire very nice people to work for
Pros
great people to work for
Cons
not enough hour to work
Hard work and innovation not recognized
DIRECTOR OF COMMUNICATIONS (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 14, 2012
NCOA is a great organization but suffers from decision-making at the top that does not take into account the hard work and potential growth for the organization by those below the "senior" level."

The CEO is dedicated and experienced. However, those working directly for him are not always focused on what's really best for the organization and the people it serves.
Best Working Group
Temporary Executive Assistant - President and CEO (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 22, 2012
While on this assignment I was able to reallly build wonderful working relationships with the staff.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Council on Aging. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5