National Counseling Group

National Counseling Group Employee Reviews

No family? no job ethics? no problem here.
Community Based Counselor II (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAAugust 26, 2016
If you have a family, too bad. They don't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Your job may be at risk if you don't do the unethical things they may expect now and again... and you'll probably take the fall for complying...

Oh, and all those people that say they support you, will be across the table pointing the finger at you in the end (ya know, to make them look good for the company)
Pros
Chance to help kids and families
Cons
Don't be too ethical, cause you'll fail.
Very misleading, shady business, BE CAREFUL
Community Based Counselor (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAAugust 13, 2016
I want to start off by saying that I originally applied for the Therapeutic Day treatment counselor in the schools. I missed the hiring window so they contacted me for the CB counselor. At the interview, the guy didn't ask me any questions at all about my background or any situational questions. He was basically selling the company to me. He told me he would send my name to HR. The offer was low, they have a base salary then the "target" or incentive salary is like $10,000 more but it's based on clientele you see in a week so if you don't meet your 35hrs a week (clients cancel alot) then you don't get the gas stipend, etc for the month. Also you train for the 1st 2 months so that means you are getting the low base pay until they gradually give you enough clients to meet your minimum 35hrs. The misleading part is that they tell you that you can do TDT counselor but strongly suggest CBC because they always need people for that and never have enough. The contract had a line in it that stated "you control your pay". Seems like a company that robs Medicaid. Then in the contract offer they suggest you buy a mini laptop from them!!!!
Pros
Cons
A contract that states too many options for salary is a red flag!
Great Place to Work
Community Based Counselor (Current Employee) –  RichmondAugust 24, 2015
Provide coaching, training and linking to additional resources and supports in the community setting for the disadvantage and oppressed.
The management team is very supportive, always providing ongoing trainings and education to help with increasing your skill set. In addition the retention rate of counselors are high, which is mostly contributed to the management investment of building the staff’s morale. Most counselors have been with the company for 5 years or more. Also co-workers are supportive, friendly and helpful, they provide case-coverage when on vacation, ill or needing a break, to include providing thoroughness with their service delivery. Finally, the most enjoyable part of the job is that it is very team work oriented from the top, down which makes it easier to handle the intensity of the job.
Pros
Benefits, ongoing trainings, support and supports futhering education
Cons
Long Work Hours at times
Not what I was told or what I expected
Community Based Counselor, QMHP-C, LPC-E (Current Employee) –  Annandale, VAJune 9, 2015
The hardest part about the job is working fee for service versus salary. Having your income based on the motivation and participation of the client is very hard when the you are trying to earn a living and raise a family. Learning that my pay would depend on the amount of hours I am able to see clients without any security when things are out of the counselors control is very disheartening. I would rather earn my pay based on m own work hard work and ethic rather than it be depend upon another person who ultimately has the right to not participate in services.
Pros
Cons
No clients, No income, a lot drvining, wear and tear on your personal vehicle.
Work here if you do not want a life outside of work
Community Based Counselor (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAMarch 10, 2016
I worked as a Community Based Counselor at NCG for 6 months. I easily worked 50-55 hours a week yet did not meet my billable requirements. Travel time, meetings, trainings and other job duties do not count towards your billable hours. At first it seems that 35 billable hours per week seems reasonable; however, clients cancel on you constantly and you have to reschedule them so often I would be expected to work weekends. I will say that they had some great training opportunities.
Pros
Training opportunities, supportive supervisor
Cons
Terrible hours
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJuly 7, 2016
is a good place to work there are opportunities available if you take advantage of them. The people who work there are good people to work with. Also, you can make some good money.
Not as advertised
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAJune 19, 2016
Very stressful environment with inexperienced managers. Attempted to file a complaint and was retaliated against within days.
Pros
Manage your own schedule
Cons
Management by bullying
Clinical supervisor
Clinical Supervisor and Mental Health Counselor (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAFebruary 12, 2016
This job requires many hours of paperwork and meetings in which the clinicians and supervisors are not compensated for. Many weeks I worked in excess of 50-55 hrs per week. Time/life balance is difficult to achieve in that type of environment.

I was fulfilled by the type of work that I did. I loved it. I enjoyed my co workers and peers. The work atmosphere was relaxed and autonomous.
Pros
Schedule autonomy
Cons
Required meeting attendance which you're not compensated for
Terrible Management, very long hours, do not work here
Social Worker- Therapeutic Foster Care (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJune 24, 2013
I am not sure about the other locations, but at the location I worked at, several supervisors had bachelor's degrees...there were others like myself who hold Master's Degrees and there was literally no room for advancement. The only reason my supervisor got her position is because she is friends with some of the higher ups within the agency and informed others at the agency of this. She was totally incompetent, stuck up, and knew very little from a clinical aspect regarding foster care. Several foster parents left the agency due to her unprofessionalism. The salary and benefits were fairly decent for a mental health agency. My supervisor was young and immature, and it made for a difficult place to work.
Pros
good salary and benefits
Cons
nepotism, poor management, they often hire unqualified people to fill supervisory positions
Very bad career move for me
Community Counselor II (Former Employee) –  Front Royal VANovember 28, 2012
I started off as a Community Counselor II at the Winchester office which I enjoyed other and was transfered to a highly unprofessional managment team in the NCG Front Royal office that continues to give me bad references that jepardizes every career opportunity I have.

It seems as if this company is about the bottom dollar and I left an exceptionally good company for NCG and was fired for absolutely no reason at all..... This is all justified by me receiving unemployment benefits... so yes people steer clear of this organization.

Yes there is money to be made, but only if you are a "prized professional." Don't mean to sound negative, but this place ruined my career in only thirty days and Im not the only one who has left this company with similiar complaints.
Pros
no pros.. money to be made if u are a prized professional or know politicial figures
Cons
bad management in front royal va
Organization as a whole
Community Based Counselor (Former Employee) –  Virginia BeachJanuary 5, 2015
This organization is huge, has great incentives, and offers opportunity for advancement. One of the biggest drawbacks was the unqualified senior management staff that provided very little support, guidance, and advocacy to support and direct care staff. Mid level managers were often left hanging and/or pressured to generate revenue in order to maintain their staffing patterns. This created a very unhealthy working environment and decreased morale and employee motivation. It is a great job for new graduates looking to enter the mental health field. The best program of the organization is community based services. I observed that foster care programs never got the support I felt they deserved and they worked very hard. I often felt very sorry for them and they had great employees.
Pros
great coworkers, supervisors and directors, good incentives, great place to develop clinical skill
Cons
highly revenue driven, lack of follow up and support from senior management, training is not comprehensive
Horrible company!
MHS worker (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 4, 2016
NCG is a terrible company to be employed by. I worked there 7 months. The company basically robs Medicaid. The employee turn over is a revolving door, that's why they're constantly hiring! NCG Virginia beach location MHS program is a Taxi service!!!!!
If you do decide to work there, READ YOUR EMPLOYMENT CONTACT!
Pros
Cons
The entire company
It's okay for starters, but if you desire structure like I do you won't like it as a full time employee.
Community Based Counselor II (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAAugust 15, 2014
It's not a bad company at all.
It's very competitive as far as salaries.

My biggest issue is chasing clients that may not be appropriate for the services. You will find that most clients just want a ride some where as if you are a taxi.
When this is brung to the attention of your supervisors they often give you examples of things that you aren't doing well & how to engage with yours clients. It seems like these types of agencies will never drop a client or recommend a client for a higher level of care.
The job is flexible, but you really work long hours & spend time working on paper work. There is a lot of wear & tear on your vehicle due to driving from place to place. Overall I wouldn't say stay away from this place, it's your personal preference whether you like a normal 9 to 5 or a in home/mental health position. NCG is definitely one of the best in home/mental health jobs. I personally don't like the idea of chasing people, but that's me.
Pros
flexible schedules, salary although low, but there's incentives, employee appreciation such as prizes, and trainings.
Cons
driving your own vehicle, weekend paper work, long meetings, chasing clients that may not be appropriate for the services.
Rewarding, but difficult. Have to be able to think on your feet.
Therapeutic Day Treatment (TDT) Counselor (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg VAOctober 15, 2015
I enjoy being a TDT counselor in the school culture; however, it can be difficult to separate discipline from treatment.
Professional and Family Friendly Atmosphere
TDT Counselor/Community Based Counselor (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAAugust 8, 2013
National Counseling Group requires flexibility because the job is ever changing. Management for the most part is supportive and attentive to staff needs. Co-workers are skilled and diversified. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the client populations serviced.
Pros
performance bonuses and annual raises
Cons
instability in job hours
Job promises were not happening
Community Based Counselor II (Former Employee) –  Culpeper, VAOctober 14, 2013
I would travel to clients homes for visits/sessions or take them places they needed to go. I would advise them and help them in making daily decisions. I would help them receive any help or needs such as social security benefits, food banks, clothing banks, etc.
I learned I really like helping others and did enjoy for awhile what I was doing.
The management was not supportive, made promises they broke and did not stand behind their employees. I was threatened by a clients neighbor and management did nothing to help me solve this issue.
The hardest part was at times having patience with clients, but I know as a professional I had too and I did but I was honest with my clients and I did call them out on their "BS" when I knew they were lying to me.
The most enjoyable was being able to help others, show clients how to apply for jobs, where they could get services they needed and seeing how this made them happy and relieved some stress off of them.
Pros
first aid/cpr certified
Cons
minimial time between clients
Stressful work environment
Community Based Counselor II (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJune 24, 2015
The upper management is horrible, I mean some of the worst leaders I've ever had to work with. With close to 20 year's experience working in the Human Services profession, this company has made me dislike the profession. This will be the absolute late job, where I am required to go into consumer's homes. That in itself is unsafe and very risky especially working with severe mentally ill adults/children with major behavioral problems.
Cons
NO CULTURAL DIVERSITY AT ALL!!! Leadership, lack of support, stressful work environment
Salary based on client cooperation, face to face services
Community Based Counselor II (Current Employee) –  Winchester, Va.July 13, 2015
I am a very hard working, enthusiastic team member. I am dedicated to the clients I work with to ensure their well being and needs are met. I like to challenge myself, which allows me to grow and enhance the services I provide for others.
Pros
team based approach
Cons
salary based on seeing clients face to face as opposed to hourly work
Great Place to Start & Grow
Clinical Supervisor (Current Employee) –  ManassasMarch 12, 2015
I have been with the company for approximately a year and a half, and have gained a tremendous amount of clinical experience, received free licensure supervision, been able to start and develop new clinical programs that I've been dying to do since grad school, and recently received a promotion for my efforts. NCG has a million fantastic clinical and leadership opportunities, and if you put yourself out there, you'll get to experience them.

When starting at the in-home level, you will absolutely have to work your butt off, but can realistically make 50k if you're willing to put in the hours. Work-life balance is a challenge for this reason, but once you get the hang of scheduling, you can definitely make it work.

Each office has its own personality, but in general, you're looking at working with involved and caring supervisors who used to do in-home services, too. The company audits themselves weekly to make sure ethics and guidelines are being met, and sends reports to all of the supervisors and site directors, so they can work on addressing problem areas.

If you are a highly motivated individual looking for clinical experience, able to think on your feet (because cases can be intense at times), and work independently, you'll do well here.
Pros
make your own schedule, work with a variety of populations and mental health diagnoses, fantastic benefits to include free licensure supervision, support from supervisors and site directors, ability to move up within the company
Cons
if you don't meet with your clients, you do not get compensated, high burn-out rate if you don't practice regular self-care, only seeing the full counseling team every other week at staff meetings
Great Job!
Community Counselor (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAJuly 20, 2015
I really enjoyed working for National Counseling Group. I was able to make my own schedule and had wonderful support from my supervisor! My co-workers and supervisor were very friendly, helpful and supportive.
Pros
Great training and postive atmosphere
Cons
long hours at times

2.8