National Counseling Group

National Counseling Group Employer Reviews

Organization as a whole
Community Based Counselor (Former Employee), Virginia BeachJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: great coworkers, supervisors and directors, good incentives, great place to develop clinical skill
Cons: highly revenue driven, lack of follow up and support from senior management, training is not comprehensive
This organization is huge, has great incentives, and offers opportunity for advancement. One of the biggest drawbacks was the unqualified senior management staff that provided very little support, guidance, and advocacy to support and direct care staff. Mid level managers were often left hanging and/or pressured to generate revenue in order to maintain their staffing patterns. This created a very unhealthy working environment and decreased morale and employee motivation. It is a great job for new graduates looking to enter the mental health field. The best program of the organization is community based services. I observed that foster care programs never got the support I felt they deserved and they worked very hard. I often felt very sorry for them and they had great employees.
Job work /life balance
Social Worker (Current Employee), Richmond, VirginiaOctober 31, 2014
Constantly engaging in alleviating the suffering of other/underprivileged. Passionately involve in learning new interventions to be effective and diverse. Collaborating routinely with others to build a strong support system. Love to listen and give appropriate feedback --if needed.
It's okay for starters, but if you desire structure like I do you won't like it as a full time employee.
Community Based Counselor II (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAAugust 15, 2014
Pros: flexible schedules, salary although low, but there's incentives, employee appreciation such as prizes, and trainings.
Cons: driving your own vehicle, weekend paper work, long meetings, chasing clients that may not be appropriate for the services.
It's not a bad company at all.
It's very competitive as far as salaries.

My biggest issue is chasing clients that may not be appropriate for the services. You will find that most clients just want a ride some where as if you are a taxi.
When this is brung to the attention of your supervisors they often give you examples of things that you aren't doing well & how to engage with yours clients. It seems like these types of agencies will never drop a client or recommend a client for a higher level of care.
The job is flexible, but you really work long hours & spend time working on paper work. There is a lot of wear & tear on your vehicle due to driving from place to place. Overall I wouldn't say stay away from this place, it's your personal preference whether you like a normal 9 to 5 or a in home/mental health position. NCG is definitely one of the best in home/mental health jobs. I personally don't like the idea of chasing people, but that's me.
Learned a lot about Mental Health
CBC (Former Employee), Martinsville, VAFebruary 10, 2014
Pros: working with great co workers
Cons: management, night and weekend hours
I was blessed to work with a lot of wonderful people throughout my years at NCG. I had the honor to work under one of the best supervisors in my life Tika Trotter. She is now at the Roanoke office. If you get the chance to work under her you will be truly blessed. I made dear life long friends and love so many of my co workers that I have worked with. The management was very unprofessional at times but I suppose it is like that in a lot of places. I left the company in January 2014 and will always remember the positive love and knowledge I have received from many clients and many co workers. If you are looking to work a straight second shift job and don't mind working on weekends this is the place for you. Always read the small print and always ask lots of questions. I leave with a full heart and wish nothing but the best for this company because for many years they brought me lots of joy.
Nice place to work, Employee incentives are great
COOMUNIY BASED COUNSELOR (Current Employee), Fredericksburg, VAJanuary 20, 2014
Work can be challenging. Long days and paperwork can be overwhelming at times. Not your typical 9-5 and working on weekends is a must. Hard to take a day off for personal care.
This organization was in its learning stages and could have done things better
Counselor (Former Employee), Warrenton, VAOctober 20, 2013
Cons: favorites played with staff.
The atmosphere was too clicky and favorites were to some staff.
Job promises were not happening
Community Based Counselor II (Former Employee), Culpeper, VAOctober 14, 2013
Pros: first aid/cpr certified
Cons: minimial time between clients
I would travel to clients homes for visits/sessions or take them places they needed to go. I would advise them and help them in making daily decisions. I would help them receive any help or needs such as social security benefits, food banks, clothing banks, etc.
I learned I really like helping others and did enjoy for awhile what I was doing.
The management was not supportive, made promises they broke and did not stand behind their employees. I was threatened by a clients neighbor and management did nothing to help me solve this issue.
The hardest part was at times having patience with clients, but I know as a professional I had too and I did but I was honest with my clients and I did call them out on their "BS" when I knew they were lying to me.
The most enjoyable was being able to help others, show clients how to apply for jobs, where they could get services they needed and seeing how this made them happy and relieved some stress off of them.
Stable company
Employee (Current Employee), Virginia Beach, VASeptember 6, 2013
Pros: reasonable pay
Company has been in business since 1993
Learned how to multi task
Work days are too long no room for balance
Most enjoyable part of the job is flexible schedule
Professional and Family Friendly Atmosphere
TDT Counselor/Community Based Counselor (Current Employee), Newport News, VAAugust 8, 2013
Pros: performance bonuses and annual raises
Cons: instability in job hours
National Counseling Group requires flexibility because the job is ever changing. Management for the most part is supportive and attentive to staff needs. Co-workers are skilled and diversified. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the client populations serviced.
Terrible Management, very long hours, do not work here
Social Worker- Therapeutic Foster Care (Former Employee), VirginiaJune 24, 2013
Pros: good salary and benefits
Cons: nepotism, poor management, they often hire unqualified people to fill supervisory positions
I am not sure about the other locations, but at the location I worked at, several supervisors had bachelor's degrees...there were others like myself who hold Master's Degrees and there was literally no room for advancement. The only reason my supervisor got her position is because she is friends with some of the higher ups within the agency and informed others at the agency of this. She was totally incompetent, stuck up, and knew very little from a clinical aspect regarding foster care. Several foster parents left the agency due to her unprofessionalism. The salary and benefits were fairly decent for a mental health agency. My supervisor was young and immature, and it made for a difficult place to work.
Horrible
Community based counselor II (Current Employee), PetersburgMarch 1, 2013
Cons: run while you can
This company is all about $$$ and running counselors in the ground. The site director in Petersburg is racist! Loves drama and isn't clinical. If you love being overworked and underpaid this is the place for you. No incentives, no bonuses, and a headache. Under a leadership of a new site director this company may have some growth until then...
Very bad career move for me
Community Counselor II (Former Employee), Front Royal VANovember 28, 2012
Pros: no pros.. money to be made if u are a prized professional or know politicial figures
Cons: bad management in front royal va
I started off as a Community Counselor II at the Winchester office which I enjoyed other and was transfered to a highly unprofessional managment team in the NCG Front Royal office that continues to give me bad references that jepardizes every career opportunity I have.

It seems as if this company is about the bottom dollar and I left an exceptionally good company for NCG and was fired for absolutely no reason at all..... This is all justified by me receiving unemployment benefits... so yes people steer clear of this organization.

Yes there is money to be made, but only if you are a "prized professional." Don't mean to sound negative, but this place ruined my career in only thirty days and Im not the only one who has left this company with similiar complaints.
productive
Mental Health Community Based Worker (Current Employee), Petersburg, VAOctober 19, 2012
Pros: incentives
Cons: growth
9-12 hours per day
learned skills and resources to assist clients and thier families
friendly atmosphere
hardest part is long hours
most enjoyable part is helping others with their needs and feeling like I made a difference in their lives
Excellent
Community Based Counselor II (Current Employee), Winchester, VAOctober 8, 2012
I have worked with NCG for four and a half years. I am currently seeking full time employment. My current position offers face to face hourly salary. Currently, I am averaging 15 hours per week.
Mainly field work
Community Based Counselor (Current Employee), Richmond VASeptember 15, 2012
Pros: make your own schedule, flexibility, can work additional hours
Cons: may have to work weekends, late, having to use your own transportation, gas can be costly
Supporting clients in daily activities, proving individual and/or family counseling
positive environment
Virginia Beach Community Support Base Counselor (Former Employee), VAJuly 16, 2012
Pros: flexable
Cons: miliage on personal car to much
Nation Counseling group is a non profit agency that offers mental health support to the hamptons road area . This company offers opportunity for growth
Family Feeling
Community Based Counselor II (Former Employee), Newport News, VAJune 7, 2012
The moto at work was the "The NCG Way!" They provide ongoing training, and have an attitude of everyone MUST succeed!

About National Counseling Group

National Counseling Group is committed to excellence as we strive to be the provider and employer of choice in each community – Read more

National Counseling Group Photos