National Credit Union Administration Employee Reviews

Excellent Organization
Public & Congressional Affairs Director (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJune 15, 2017
NCUA is an outstanding organization. The staff is fully committed to protecting the deposits of 108 million credit union members. They are also hard-working public servants.
No Job Security
Loan Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 17, 2017
When offered this position it was supposed to be a three year contract but now we have been told that our position will soon become obsolete but they can't give us any specific time frame. The job duties change day to day depending on what miscellaneous task is needed. I have spent entire days looking at my phone due to lack of tasks only to have an urgent project dumped on me last minute that should have been done already by someone else. If you have any questions supervisors will avoid answering and constantly pass the buck but if you go over them and it comes back to them you get in trouble for "stepping on toes" and making them look bad.
Pros
High salary
Cons
no communication, job insecurity, no benefits
Consumer Loan Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 12, 2017
Management is not well organized. Things change every second. Compensation is great all though with all this federal freeze the job security is really bad right now. They are not renewing contracts and the way things are going it looks like they will have to lay off the majority of the staff.
Pros
Make your own schedule, laid back
Cons
Managment is not organized.
Laid back environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 9, 2017
Position had daily duties along with tasks given by management, constantly working with other people to complete tasks. Very calm place to work, not a stressful environment by any means. Lots of room for advancement, hardest part of the job was the big loan sales where tons of organization had to be done in a specific time frame, but even then it wasn't too bad.
Pros
breaks, friendly environment, private space
Horrible turnover
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 6, 2017
The staff turn over rate is absurd. Very inefficient way to conduct a seamless, efficient and productive organization.
The management at times lacks common sense and allow staff that are truly incompetent to continue producing work that others have to correct multiple times. At times Federal staff have belittled,openly intimidated or bad mouthed non-fed,contract staff.There is a good cross section of cultures.
Benefits should be offered to all employed not just the Federal staff.
Pros
good pay
Cons
No medical or retirement benefits. No work longevity.
Region V Office Internship (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZNovember 7, 2016
Working here has helped me learn so many skills I can use later on in my career. My co-workers are wonderful and I am sad that my internship is ending because I have really enjoyed my time here.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Short Breaks
Great Place to LEARN
Financial Research and Loan Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 28, 2016
Lots of research and you learn a lot about credit unions and how they function and finance in general.
Great co-workers and opportunities to take on and tackle new projects.
Possibility for travel.
Hours are great-M-F 40 hours.
Good work life balance.
Credit Union Examiner (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 8, 2016
Typical day involves analyzing risks within Federal and State Chartered financial institutions. There is a great deal of financial analysis and risk management involved in day to day workload.
Served as an Intern
Intern (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJanuary 21, 2016
Visited the different departments in the NCUA. Completed audits and examinations of different banks in the DC,VA area. Learned the different processes and benefits of minority and women owned businesses. Rewrote bylaws and processes of the OMWI department. (Office of Minority and Women Inclusions)
Stringent goals but casual work environment
Examiner (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 12, 2015
I would definitely recommend NCUA as a great place to work. Although I was employed at NCUA for a short period of time, I was able to retain a considerable amount of information and learned about the federal hierarchy system. Almost everyone I worked with was friendly and helpful and I hope to get rehired at this agency in the future.
General work day
CU Examiner (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 18, 2015
Traveled to work site at beginning of the week to perform audits in state and federal credit unions. Eighty percent of the job required travel.
Miss it, Love it, Plan to go back in the future
RESEARCH TECHNICIAN (CONTRACTOR - AMAC/DLMS) (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 24, 2015
Relaxed environment with helpful team work type authority figures. Great place to learn information about how financial systems are managed, regulated, and maintained. Good place to expand skill set and gain additional software knowledge.
Dead place. Don't go.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJune 21, 2015
I would say anyone trying to get into tech and wanting to be cutting edge should stay away. this place was a dead end and not worth wasting your time with. Don't buy!
Doesn't pay well but good for straight out of college
Real Estate Analyst and Financial Loan Analyst (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 17, 2015
Doesn't pay well but good for straight out of college. I made a lot of good friends and learned a lot about the mortgage agency in a short period of time. They do provide good benefits and training.
NCUA Agency
Loan Analyst AMAC (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 26, 2015
The NCUA, an independent federal agency created by Congress, regulates, charters and supervises federal credit unions. A typical day in the office is everyone comes in and says good morning to one another, we get a run down of what is on the agenda for the day, and we begin to work. We work as a team to help each other out on any tasks or questions that we may have that we do not know the answer to, but someone else on the team will. Everyone gets along great in my section, that is why it is so easy to come into work each and every day. I worked with some very intelligent people who made great efforts to accomplish the corporate goal.
Pros
Regulatory experience, government benefits, and a good chance to travel, the benefits and salaries offered by NCUA exceed those offered at other federal agencies, the workload was with reasonable deadlines.
Cons
very rigid processes and standards that have to be observed in areas of HR, low training expose for contractors, very hierarchical culture
Challenging, dynamic work environment
Credit Union Examiner (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 16, 2014
Challenging, dynamic work environment with a demanding pace. Managment is hit or miss at the highest levels, training leaves a lot to be desired.
Pros
Great beneifts, never bored
Cons
Poor work/life balance, too much travel
Good people to work with at middle management. Upper managment is politically motivated and only looks out for number one.
Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VASeptember 1, 2014
Good small agency. I am overall very happy with the 30 years I worked for NCUA.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Governmement Bureaucracy
Learnt a lot in a short time
Credit Union Examiner Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 27, 2014
Great place to learn a job. However, there are long working hours and no flexibility.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
no job security
Continuous Learning
Region V Credit Union Examiner CU-07 (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 14, 2014
Examining a credit union encompasses various review areas which are always changing in the way we conduct the exam, the items we review, and the regulation that applies to credit union operations.

Each exam has a new learning experience.
Productive learning environment
Student Intern (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAFebruary 19, 2014
I love working at NCUA. The employees are very friendly and open to teaching me as an intern. I have learned a tremendous amount of things about credit unions and economics as a whole through working here over the past year. I highly recommend interning or applying to work here.