National Credit Union Administration Employee Reviews

Good work life balance.
Credit Union Examiner (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 8, 2016
Typical day involves analyzing risks within Federal and State Chartered financial institutions. There is a great deal of financial analysis and risk management involved in day to day workload.
Great Place to LEARN
Financial Research and Loan Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 28, 2016
Lots of research and you learn a lot about credit unions and how they function and finance in general.
Great co-workers and opportunities to take on and tackle new projects.
Possibility for travel.
Hours are great-M-F 40 hours.
Served as an Intern
Intern (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJanuary 21, 2016
Visited the different departments in the NCUA. Completed audits and examinations of different banks in the DC,VA area. Learned the different processes and benefits of minority and women owned businesses. Rewrote bylaws and processes of the OMWI department. (Office of Minority and Women Inclusions)
NCUA Agency
Loan Analyst AMAC (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 26, 2015
The NCUA, an independent federal agency created by Congress, regulates, charters and supervises federal credit unions. A typical day in the office is everyone comes in and says good morning to one another, we get a run down of what is on the agenda for the day, and we begin to work. We work as a team to help each other out on any tasks or questions that we may have that we do not know the answer to, but someone else on the team will. Everyone gets along great in my section, that is why it is so easy to come into work each and every day. I worked with some very intelligent people who made great efforts to accomplish the corporate goal.
Pros
Regulatory experience, government benefits, and a good chance to travel, the benefits and salaries offered by NCUA exceed those offered at other federal agencies, the workload was with reasonable deadlines.
Cons
very rigid processes and standards that have to be observed in areas of HR, low training expose for contractors, very hierarchical culture
Stringent goals but casual work environment
Examiner (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 12, 2015
I would definitely recommend NCUA as a great place to work. Although I was employed at NCUA for a short period of time, I was able to retain a considerable amount of information and learned about the federal hierarchy system. Almost everyone I worked with was friendly and helpful and I hope to get rehired at this agency in the future.
NCUA Temp Experience
Forensic Accountant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 29, 2014
A typical day includes researching financial records, reconstructing member accounts using Excel, and identifying many facets of fraudulent activity. Utilizing VLookup and simple Macros assist in making my work more efficient. I also complete journal entries and check requests, in addition to communicating with various members.

I have learned that fraud can come in many forms. My experience with Excel formulas has grown.

Management is wonderful. They are approachable, understanding, and encourage independent work. They are also good at making employees feel valued.

Co-workers are a lot of fun. We have enjoyed multiple potlucks and functions together.

The most difficult part of the job is communicating with disgruntled members.

The most enjoyable part of the job is using Excel to help identify fraudulent activity and learning new formulas to be more productive and efficient.
Doesn't pay well but good for straight out of college
Real Estate Analyst and Financial Loan Analyst (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 17, 2015
Doesn't pay well but good for straight out of college. I made a lot of good friends and learned a lot about the mortgage agency in a short period of time. They do provide good benefits and training.
Good people to work with at middle management. Upper managment is politically motivated and only looks out for number one.
Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VASeptember 1, 2014
Good small agency. I am overall very happy with the 30 years I worked for NCUA.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Governmement Bureaucracy
Challenging, dynamic work environment
Credit Union Examiner (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 16, 2014
Challenging, dynamic work environment with a demanding pace. Managment is hit or miss at the highest levels, training leaves a lot to be desired.
Pros
Great beneifts, never bored
Cons
Poor work/life balance, too much travel
Miss it, Love it, Plan to go back in the future
RESEARCH TECHNICIAN (CONTRACTOR - AMAC/DLMS) (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 24, 2015
Relaxed environment with helpful team work type authority figures. Great place to learn information about how financial systems are managed, regulated, and maintained. Good place to expand skill set and gain additional software knowledge.
Learnt a lot in a short time
Credit Union Examiner Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 27, 2014
Great place to learn a job. However, there are long working hours and no flexibility.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
no job security
General work day
CU Examiner (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 18, 2015
Traveled to work site at beginning of the week to perform audits in state and federal credit unions. Eighty percent of the job required travel.
Dead place. Don't go.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJune 21, 2015
I would say anyone trying to get into tech and wanting to be cutting edge should stay away. this place was a dead end and not worth wasting your time with. Don't buy!
Productive learning environment
Student Intern (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAFebruary 19, 2014
I love working at NCUA. The employees are very friendly and open to teaching me as an intern. I have learned a tremendous amount of things about credit unions and economics as a whole through working here over the past year. I highly recommend interning or applying to work here.
Credit Union Examinations
Credit Union Examiner - CU -11 (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GaAugust 12, 2013
Each day is usually different as a new examination is performed every two weeks or so. The job requires a lot of travel (usually two to three weeks/month). However, the hours can sometimes be flexible, which helps with abrupt changes to the schedule.
Continuous Learning
Region V Credit Union Examiner CU-07 (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 14, 2014
Examining a credit union encompasses various review areas which are always changing in the way we conduct the exam, the items we review, and the regulation that applies to credit union operations.

Each exam has a new learning experience.
Good working atmosphere
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 16, 2012
I love this place!!!! You really learn a lot in a short period of time.
Pros
learn a lot of different things
Cons
not a permanent workplace

National Credit Union Administration Reviews by Job Title