National Defense University Employee Reviews in United States

Productive and interesting place to work in.
Program Planning Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 8, 2016
Meeting people from different country's around the world
How to communicate with everyone without offending one's culture
Early morning meetings
Waking up early in the morning
Knowing that your contribution can make a difference
A great opportunity to be exposed to the National Defense University environment
Student (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 5, 2015
A wonderful opportunity to learn about the strategic environment with a specific focus on acquisition and requirements within the U.S. government.
Pros
Great learning opportunity
Cons
Sequestration affected opportunity for international travel
Exceptional Experience
Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington D.C.October 1, 2015
I interned at NDU last summer to gain insight into the diplomatic field. I took part of diplomatic missions to embassies in Washington D.C. and organized International Security/Counter Terrorism seminars to government officials.
Diverse and unique environment
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 14, 2015
The ISMO office at NDU is the department that deals with international fellows and their families. Great place to work if you like diversity and prepare special events with them. At ISMO you have the opportunity to expand your knowledge and culture by meeting high ranked military personnel from all over the world. In addition, you have the opportunity to see government in action.
Pros
Most of the days free lunch, freindly environment
Cons
Limited professional growth due to few postions available
Building Leaders, Creating Knowledge
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Washington, D.C.September 8, 2015
The National Defense University, with its international student body and peerless research and professional staff, is at the cutting edge of making the world a safer place.
Good Overall
Internship (Former Employee) –  Washington DCMarch 6, 2015
Engaged with over 100 senior international military officers and their families from over 50 different
countries.
 Helped execute the DOD Field Studies Program, developed to orientate the International Fellows
on U.S. policy, American culture and way of life.
 Prepared pre-brief documents and reference guides to help provide the International Fellows taking
the American Studies course with background information for the Field Studies visits, prior
to the actual site visit.
 Assisted in executing university special events focused on the International Fellows and their
families.
 Provided support to the International Student Management Office staff concerning administrative
issues and helped with the maintenance of social media websites in support of the Alumni program.
 Practiced cross cultural communication in a community with over 25 spoken languages
Teaching senior officers and civilian personnel
Distinguished Visiting Faculty Member (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 25, 2014
Teaching core and elective courses on the history of strategic thought, and the strategic leadership to senior officers and civilian personnel--Master’s Program in Strategic Security Studies.
Great experience working with foreign authorities
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 4, 2014
Heavy work-flo in processing legal documents for people entering into the country.
Pros
great experience with different cultures
Cons
heavy traffic in dc
Exercise Room workouts during lunch
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 25, 2014
Overall I had a very good working career at the National Defense University. I worked hard working for the Dean of Faculty's office. I kept his schedule and the entire schools academic calendar. Some days was more challenging than others, but overall was great. The hardest part of my job was schedule changes. Schedule changes had to be made right away and sometimes it was early in the morning. I was required to have the schedule up and running at the beginning of the day which sometimes required me arriving extra early. I also had to be there everyday. Very little time off. I was a people pleaser. I retired with honors. I have been retired for a year and a half and now feel that I can do something part-time.
Pros
the pros were the extrodinary people i worked for.
Cons
cons were working with people that wasn't so nice or kind. hard people pleasers.
Productive day at work
Student Trainee (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 1, 2014
A day at National defense University is very peaceful, calm and relaxing. I am able to get my work done without interruptions. The people at National Defense University are amazing.
Pros
good lunch break, quiet enviornment
Cons
not a lot of work to stay occupied most of the day
Productive, good working culture, team work, hardworking staff
Resource Management Assistant (Former Employee) –  ACSS- EARO - US Embassy, Addis AbabaMay 28, 2014
Hard working professional staff, easy to learn new skills, team oriented environment.
Great place
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 17, 2014
Great place. Great place for graduate student or entry level person.
Productive and great co-workers to work with
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 6, 2014
Great people to work with. Excellent work place. Enjoyed working at the Defense University and my job duties. I enjoyed representing the Front Office. Greeting visitors and searching the Inernet was the best part of my day. The hardest part of the job was getting there. I had to catch a bus, subway and they provided a shuttle service to get to the location.
Pros
excellent work place and location
Cons
contract ended
Intern
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 8, 2013
As an intern I only worked with one analyst there and did much of my work offsite. My adviser was very helpful and offered lots of constructive assistance during the research phase.
Productive and busy place with potential
Logistics Management Specialist/Facilities Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 27, 2013
Challenging and rewarding with good potential
DOD Position
decent pay good hours
Pros
good benefits, decent pay
Cons
too far from home
Meaningful work for a fantastic employer
Program Assistant (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 19, 2013
A typical day involved performing military and defense research to be used in Pentagon documents while assisting with inter-operability programs. I learned a lot about the way the United States interacts with the military leadership of Pakistan and vice-versa.

I reported to a single program manager who oversaw all my work and allowed me to perform many tasks from home. I didn't interact directly with any co-workers during the bulk of my contract.

The most difficult part of the job was providing accurate and reliable research intelligence for sensitive documents with a high security clearance. Being able to produce valuable data used by the Defense Department was very rewarding.
Pros
independence; the ability to work from home
Cons
a contract job with a definite end
Research Associate Intern (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 8, 2013
Very nice people and place to work. The job exposes you to multiple technology and development issues faced by humanitarian people in their daily tasks.
Internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 24, 2013
I worked for NESA NDU for a summer and learned a lot about the Department of Defense. The experience I had here is not comparable to any other experience I have had.
Full yime student
Student, Masters in National Resource Strategy (Former Employee) –  Washington DCFebruary 7, 2013
• Energy industry concentration with study of coal, gas and nuclear industries.
• Included both national and international travel to study complex energy systems.
• Thesis title: “Maintaining National Power Through Energy.”
Pros
full time student
Cons
incredibly busy year
Good experience
Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 13, 2012
I worked here as a research fellow while going to graduate school at George Mason full time. It was a good experience for the most part. I was fortunate to work under a great boss for the second half of my tenure at NDU and legitimately enjoyed working for him.

4.7