National Education Association Employee Reviews

Fun environment and friendly boss
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMMay 31, 2017
My typical day at work would be full of constant work. My bosses were extremely friendly and always included me in the meetings when I was just an organizing assistant. It was nice that the manager would take the office out for our birthdays and supply the office with snacks and drinks.
Love nea
Fulfillment Support Technician/Press Operator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 1, 2017
NEA is a wonderful place to work, and the family oriented background makes it easy to handle life inside and outside of the company. Management mostly comes from the same backgrounds as staff so there is an understanding that takes place almost immediately.
Rewarding organization
Senior Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 11, 2017
Working for this organization is very rewarding. You are helping teachers and their students. NEA is the teachers union. NEA gave me opportunities that I may never have had, Like traveling and working with different levels of people.
Pros
Great benefits
Empowering work environment
Project Manager, Faith-Based Initiative (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 31, 2017
Encouraged to think outside of box and to question what does not make sense.
Performed research tasks
Attend meeting
Write reports
Networking where possible
Develop program tools
Pros
Independent work environment
Cons
More capital needed
Great organization with an important mission.
Board of Directors (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 14, 2017
This organization has great leadership. It is great at strategic planning and utilizing resources. The board meetings were managed well.
Excellent and meaningful work. Arrogant and obnoxious managers seriously lacking people skills.
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 4, 2017
Plentiful workload, engaging work, tremendous colleagues among the sorriest group of leaders you ever want to encounter, called "The Big Ten", WTF?! So, what are the rest of the employees? NEA believes itself to be invincible. A group of millennials will come along and prove them incorrect.
Pros
Pension and Benefits that are changing
Work through lunch
Contracts/Purchasing Specialist (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 7, 2017
High level of production processing contracts, amendments and modifications for Business Units. High demand by direct report to manager. Great building to work in atrium.
Pros
Great deli
Cons
short lunches
Great
Human Resources& International Relations Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 4, 2016
Great internship to work for. I learned a lot about the international relations department. The most enjoyable part of my internship was my boss. The hardest part of my job was some of my coworkers were no the nicest
staying active on projects
Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 3, 2015
I enjoyed interning here because i got to learn a lot of different things. As well they always had tasks for me to complete.
Pros
staying active on projects
Cons
it was an intern
Association
member (Current Employee) –  Judsonia, ARJuly 17, 2015
This is a member association group, not a job. You can become a member through the education system. This is a great association to be a member of if you go into education.
productive and fun workplace
Communications Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 14, 2014
managers and senior writers treat their interns great. always gave us good assignments.
Pros
great place to learn
Cons
long meetings
Administrative Specialist Part Time
Membership Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 21, 2014
A typical day would include meeting with my manager, Membership Service, and discuss daily workload. Once we identified priorities, the manager delegated special jobs for me to perform i.e. review membership numbers, make sure next conferences have staffing, promotional materials, and travel/lodging requirements.

I learned from manager to be detailed and thorough when planning conferences, how to manage time, and to review plans with staff to ensure that plan is thorough.

Co-workers were great to work with. They were very helpful and supportive.

Working part time and not being completely involved in all aspects of the position.

The company would provide staff outings that really brought the staff together outside of the working environment. This made our relationships between staff even stronger.
Pros
Great working environment, and supportive staff
Cons
Part time
depends on how you see it
Senior Policy Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 25, 2014
Hard to beat compensation and benefits, opportunity for advancement is low
Pros
comp & benefits - family friendly
Cons
bureaucracy
Great people to work with
Temporary/Part time (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDJuly 30, 2014
I enjoy working with this company. I had no working knowledge of how a union worked prior to working here. Everyone is always willing to give a helping hand on large projects.
Cons
Temp/Part-time
Good management support
Owner, Senior Consultant (Former Employee) –  Stone Mountain, GAOctober 18, 2012
The NEA project manager with whom I worked was very professional and committed. The hardest part of the job was getting technical staff to write DR procedures.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the fact that I was able to do a good bit of my work at home - used Skype and Microsoft Live Meeting quite a bit - a very professional way to do things
Pros
client was located in downtown dc - access to hotels, restaurants
Cons
lack of formalized change control procedures
Great place to work, many opportunities to grow.
Chairperson -NEA Student program (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 24, 2011
My time as the chairperson of the NEA student program was excellent. The NEA is a great place to work and grow as a person and professional.
Pros
very supportive, compensation, benefits.
Cons
learning curve.