National Endowment For The Arts Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
slowly sinking ship
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCJanuary 11, 2018
It is simply amazing that this agency manages to survive at the intersection of the federal government and the arts. Its mission is routinely questioned by the lawmakers and the executive that oversee its funding, which is pitifully small by federal government standards. Mismanaged by a revolving door of private sector appointees and their hand-picked section directors, the agency lurches from one initiative to the next, trying to juggle the demands of federal policy, politics, and the chronically underfunded arts community.
Pros
public service, noble mission, art breaks
Cons
management, funding, morale
Wonderfully place to work but not whole lot if looking to move up the corporate ladder.
Administrative Services Office (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 15, 2017
A typical day at work could consist of balancing the books for all agency asset from how many pencil on the shelf to monitoring the maintenance on the two vehicle I'm responsible for the up keep. Day to day operation dealing with facilities issue. I'm also responsible for monitoring trouble tickets for all office equipment fax machines, copier, printers, etc.... Maintaining toners and copier supplies and trouble shooting and providing routine maintenance when needed to any office equipment..
Pros
Great place to work and great benefits.
Cons
No upper movability with the position I maintain.
National Treasure
Literature Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 19, 2015
I was very fortunate to work for the NEA while Dana Gioia served as its Chairman. He transformed the organization during his tenure there, and I was thrilled to be a part of that change.
Valuable experience
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 1, 2014
Summer internship
Helped each panelist with application prescreening and panel reviews.
Excellent place to gain experience
Public Affairs Intern (Former Employee) –  1100 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20004March 24, 2014
I enjoyed my time interning for the National Endowment for the Arts. The people I worked with were all very nice and more than willing to give me to opportunities to learn and to try new assignments. Management was approachable and friendly, but long time employees often said that they seemed out of touch with the actual state of affairs within the Endowment. Many members of management seemed to be political appointees and used their positions as a springboard to bigger and better jobs. On the other hand, regular government employees complained that after a certain point, there was no room to advance and promotions often had to wait, sometimes for years, until a vacancy opened up.

I would say the best part of my job was learning about current events in the arts world and deepening my knowledge of art history. My co-workers were very nice and I enjoyed going into the office. The hardest part was that my assignments were often very boring, or required very little mental exertion. I expected to do some grunt work since I was an intern, but staring at a computer screen for eight hours proved to be trying.
Pros
Nice co-workers, engrossing projects in the arts world, passionate workplace
Cons
Management could be better, widespread lack of energy or drive, assignments often boring