National Envelope Employee Reviews

Productive workplace
Production Control/Compiler (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WisconsinSeptember 6, 2014
The people at National Envelope were easy to work with. I worked in different departments while I was at National Envelope. My work experience helped me as I went to the other departments.
Pros
Co-workers were very friendly and easy to work with.
Cons
401k stopped stopped contributing, They began letting people go but the workload did not change. They closed our plant.
My experience at National Envelope
machine operator (Former Employee) –  RA departmentJune 20, 2014
Packed envelopes in a faced-paced environment, worked in a cell that had three machines which I was required to run two machines proficiently. , filled out all paperwork and labeling, cleaned machine when necessary and before next shift, stock items necessary for next shift, cleaned work area. Management team was not professional and played a big role in one of the reason for me leaving my job after 13 years of service. Most co-workers were a pleasure to work with and there were about a handful that should of been fired because of poor performance and attitude towards others. There was nothing hard about the job. The most enjoyable part was meeting good people and working with those individuals and the many years of experience in the manufacturing field. The positive things about working there was the experience I received and most of the good people I worked with, the benefits and the pay. The negative things about the place was how I was treated and how management and the union failed to handle harassment issues I had and also the way I was treated when trying to cross train in other areas for higher pay also the favoritism by management I did not appreciate experiencing. The hardest thing I dealt with was working hard and not being recognized for my abilities also if I was a man or a beautiful built young female I would of made more money because that's what it took to get anywhere in that place The union was not useful at all and did absolutely nothing for me it was a waste to pay them I honestly don't know why that place had a union. The reason I left was the loss  more... of pay and benefits when a new company took over and there would of been no raise for 5 years , harassment, and the disrespectful management team.  less
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Management team and poor work environment
Good place to work , people were great.
baler/receiving (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIJune 4, 2014
Worked hard ,learned how to use a baler,drive a forklift,. clamp truck,the management was there when you needed them.My co-workers were fun to be with ,gonna miss some of them.Cleaning the balers was hardest part of job because it got dusty and had to use safety glasses,and face mask.The end of the day was most enjoyable because everything was done that i could do .Wait for next shift to come in.
Pros
Perfect attendance 3 weeks vacation
Cons
Insurance was alright
Good Work environment
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSApril 30, 2014
Good work environment nice people. Company shut down operation and no longer exists.
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
Company shut down
Envelope manufacturing company.
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Appleton, WIApril 22, 2014
Envelope provider for both merchant and jet shop in the midwest. My co-workers are professional, talented and leaders in the industry.
Decent place to work if there was more incentive
Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Shelbyville, KYApril 6, 2014
I love what i do. i work on machines all day. If they would supply the parts to fix them that would help. My co workers are great we all get along we are like family.
Fast-paced work with many tasks
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Scottdale, PAMarch 25, 2014
Operate machines making sure envelopes have glue on them and are folded properly, able to pick up at least 500 at a time and put them in the box and then a carton to be shipped. Kept area clean and be able to keep the machine running at least 500 to 700 per minute. Team work was essential although sometimes co-workers would slack off which made more work for the other guy. Management was not their strong point had a lack of good leaders. The hardest part of that job would be lifting heavy cartons to a skid or picking up slippery envelopes which made it hard to put in boxes. Most enjoyable part was working with co-workers who would work as hard as you to get the job done. I learned a lot working there, would never work for a union because it was a complete waste of money and the union never helped you when you needed them. Some people are just very hateful and make the work environment bad for others. I stayed at that job because I had to and when I left I was very happy to go because I no longer wanted to be working in that environment and the new owners took 5% of our pay and all of our benefits which kept me there as long as 13 years.
Pros
experience in a factory
Cons
union
Unfortunate downfall due to bad decisions (bought from bankruptcy twice in 3 years)
Sourcing Analyst (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSMarch 23, 2014
- Reviewed paper truck orders from 8 plants (up to 660 tons/day)
- Reviewed opportunities for utilization of existing materials or aged material from other plants.
- I miss being the go to guy for questions or help from plant purchasers, customer service and management. With such a vast understanding of different departments, I was able to help when they had nobody else to turn to.
- I miss working closely with key vendors to make sure communication remained open. They appreciated that I took their needs into account.
- Being in Kansas office while corporate was in Texas, I missed being a part of high level negotiations with vendors. During last weeks of bankruptcy, however, I flew weekly to take part in a small executive team to determine daily which vendors were to be paid from a fixed bucket to keep plants running.
- I've always had complete confidence from my supervisors and respect from all departments as 'not my job' was not apart of my vocabulary.
- Regarding management, I feel it's vital to see that not all areas are black and white. Details and department input is vital and can save from decisions that on paper look like wins, but in reality can cost jobs and money.

Jobs:
Proprietary Paper Purchaser
Customer Service Rep
Finished Goods Inventory Manager
Purchasing/Inventory Manager
Sourcing Analyst
Pros
Being able to work closely with all departments and vendors with complete trust from management.
Cons
Being somewhat isolated from corporate office.
Was ok till Cenveo bought it
machine operator/adjuster (Former Employee) –  3rd shift raw operator/adjuster scottdale paMarch 18, 2014
Was a ok place to work besides no room to advance but atleast had decent benefits. Cenveo came in got rid of all the benefits and gave everyone garbage insurance also gave everyone a 5% paycut and laid off the productive employees by seniority and now have untrained employees running machines it looks like a retirement community i was glad to get out while i could before it is closed
Pros
lots of overtime
Cons
Cenveo bought it
Good job for the Area
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Scottdale, PAMarch 11, 2014
I was in a good spot when I started the position but the company had internal issues which led to me being laid off for my limited time there.
customer service
Customer Service Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Scottdale, PAFebruary 26, 2014
I would have given this a rating of zero but it only goes as low as one. All of these reviews with three stars or higher where obviously paid to write those reviews. This place is pure hell, all management is horrible from the middle up. A lot of brown nosing and office gossip. Truly the worse work experience I have ever had. This place drops people like flies and has beyond the normal amount of favoritism. Hope this helps, dont walk, run from this place!
Pros
Cons
horrible training
Administrative Assistant/Clerical (Former Employee) –  Scottdale, PAJanuary 1, 2014
I generally worked alone and I thrived on that.
Some jobs when you come in you just ease into, my job started at a run.
Management at this location was good.
Management at the corporate level left a lot to be desired.
The co-workers were great
Pros
Made a lot of friends all over the country
Cons
Not a lot of advancement opportunities
Hard, hot, dirty work
Operations (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIDecember 23, 2013
Hostile employees, shift supervisor did not want to be bothered with work related issues. Pay was OK
Poor management and leads
Operator/Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIDecember 14, 2013
It is a typical hard labor 8 hour day on your feet with constant lifting. Fast pace environment running two 700series RA's, cold checks, samples, labeling, stacking, packing, gum bottles, cartons, next job order, etc.. The list goes on. Is the task too hard? No. It could very well be done. Although the process is a mistake waiting to happen. Everything is a rush and that's how details are fairly mistaken. Some RA cells are harder and faster than others. Pay compensation is not factored into that decision. The job of an operator is absolutely overwhelming and stressful over a period of time. That is a simple fact.

Adjusting is also a challenge. Training was a magnificent experience. It was a very valuable lesson and knowledgeable as well. Aside from that, many adjusters are experienced and many adjusters also take advantage of that case. The leads will sometimes bypass safety standards. Many adjusters new and experienced do not see eye to eye and have trouble cleaning up after themselves. Cleanliness and tool theft are definitely a problem. Communication between shift is not well accepted because experienced adjuster don't want rookies tell them what to do and what not to do. It often leads to machines being tinkered with and moved around.

Problems with coworkers and management is terrible. HR is a promoted assistant who people feel does not stand genuinely for the employees. The Union has never fought for an employee. That pretty much sums that up. Supervisors are lacking in knowledge and can be easily taken advantage of. Most do not keep track of their employees and
  more... sit in the office way too often. Many coworkers do not get along and refuse to cooperate with certain individuals due to attitude.

This is not a controlled work environment and I would not like to work in this place again. The pay is not worth the headache. I should not have to dread going into work every day and wondering if I would be set up, have enough supplies, be harassed by the prior or coming shifts, have difficulty trying to locate the shift supervisor, wondering if the next buyer is going to file for bankruptcy, etc.. If there are problems, it starts at the top. I do not see changes in the atmosphere. If the pay wasn't great, I would have nothing good to say about this company.
Pros
Keeping busy, advancements and weekly opportunity for overtime.
Cons
Inadequate supplies for job, experienced adjusters favor who they want to help, bypassing safety/OSHA standards, job stability, etc..
An envelope factory
Machine operator (Former Employee) –  Exton, Pa.November 29, 2013
Manufactured various envelopes. Management was fair, co-workers were nice. The facility was very hot and the most enjoyable time was at break
Company was a good place to work but management wasn't that great.
Machine Operator/Packer (Former Employee) –  Smyrna, GAOctober 31, 2013
Work was fast and hard at times. coworker's were great.Management was hard.
Pros
free lunch sometimes
Cons
They wanted you to work faster and faster than conplaned when poduct had errars.
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Ennis, TXOctober 22, 2013
They fired me for attendance it was unorganized they gave people that started with me vacation days and for me i got none so i used points i was at 9 points you get 10 so they fired me... It was unfair i really liked the job i tried to get rehired through this new company they want hire me. I messed up cause i was supposed to go to second shift they never switched me so it was hard working nights.... I was in tears.
Pros
free lunch breaks
Cons
short breaks
Unfortunatly was bought out by Cenveo
Strategic Accounts Manager (Former Employee) –  Frisco, TXOctober 10, 2013
No longer in business, was bought by Cenveo 9/13/13. Was a great place to work.
Fun place to work with plenty of communication
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Appleton wiOctober 9, 2013
i enjoyed working here everyday was a good day at work. fast paced environment so the days were never boring or slow by any means.
Very stressful, my work did not stay at the office it carried into my personal life.
EQ Coordinator/Customer Support (Former Employee) –  Smyrna, GAOctober 8, 2013
I enjoyed my intersactions with customers. Very fast paced, managament was great. I learned how to juggle and not drop the ball!!
Pros
met great new people
Cons
it was sold and had to be downsized.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Envelope. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7