National Express Employee Reviews

Good Workplace
Operations Driver (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 18, 2017
Enjoyed working with the children on a daily basis and having a positive impact on their daily growth and development.

Enjoyed the teamwork with management
Accounts payable
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Warrenville, ILAugust 3, 2017
Great work environment if you enjoy working on your own with little to no supervision. The work is tedious however setting your own pace is a good idea they offer.
Closest to perfect as iv ever come
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHJune 19, 2017
This is a bus driving position contracted through a developmental disability school board. This position has excelent hours, good coworkers, great management, and good union benefits. Though it can be difficult to deal with certain issues with passengers, it is a very rewarding job.
Pros
The people -from passengers to coworkers to management.
Cons
very rarely passengers or guardians cause issues, but is not as bad as public school if all proceedures are being followed.
Small company with big dreams
National Director, Marketing and Communications (Former Employee) –  Warrenville, ILApril 24, 2017
The small organization continuously tried to be better, not always succeeding. The culture was okay, a lot of negative from previous employees / structure. I hope the organization does well. Good people.
Fun and Convienent workplace
School Bus Monitor (Current Employee) –  Londonderry, NHJanuary 18, 2017
the most enjoyable part of the job is meeting all the new students and the schedule is super convenient with the breaks and the time to wake up and the time to go home.
Pros
Long Breaks, Drama Free
Cons
Benefits, Unreliable
A Great Place to Work If You Can Keep Up With the Pace
Talent Acquistion (Current Employee) –  Warrenville, ILOctober 21, 2016
National Express is a great company to work for, but it is a very fast pace environment. It's a great mix of individual and team work. They have monthly employee appreciation events and every Friday is casual. Its nice to work for a company that not only takes care of its employees but gives back. There are several fundraisers every year for different causes and charities.

Management has been wonderful and supportive in my experience. My supervisor and others that I have observed genuinely care about your ideas. I haven't experienced any micromanagement here.

There is plenty of room for growth within this company if you put in the hard work and make your desire for growth known. It takes time to move up.

The best part of this job is the culture within the office. Everyone is friendly and if you have a question or need help there's always someone willing to lend a hand.

The only reason I didn't rate this company at 5 stars is because it can be slow to advance in your position and the cost of benefits is a little on the high side.
Pros
Culture, Advancement Potential, Supportive Management
Cons
Can be difficult to keep up with the pace
Fun work place with great management
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Warrenville, ILJuly 6, 2016
Great environment and fun activities planned by upper management for all employees monthly. Very open and friendly and everybody is always laughing and having fun while working.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Low Compensation
Productive Work Enviornment.
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHFebruary 3, 2016
Wonderful management staff that supports employees to the up most. Excellent company to work for, staff and management strive to make working here a positive experience. The reason for obtaining new employment is due to lack of pay increase.
National express is a profesionally ran company, that prides it self on the safty and well being of its employees and passengers.
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Merced, CANovember 30, 2015
A typical day at work is showing up to the bus yard about 15 minutes early, I check in with the supervisor on duty, then i pretrip the bus i will be driving, I drive to my starting point then begin my rout, its a fixed rout so it usually goes pretty smooth every day, at the end of my shift I bring the bus back to the yard and do a post trip, I give my bus over to the bus washers and turn my paper work in for the day.
Room for upward mobility
Adult Trans Monitior (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYNovember 27, 2015
National Express is one of the world's top transportation companies. If you are willing to move and educate yourself their is room for self advancement. Socializing with the Base line management is NOT the way to do that, however.

Stay focused on what your goal is and stay in written contact with the Parent company, so they know about your advancement goal.

Be careful when working with this company. IF you are hurt on the job, they are going to make it hard for you to get compensated.

Document to communicate any safety issues you come across with this companies equipment or facility. Telling someone is not enough and you will find that people will forget or deny any conversations you had with them in regards to a safety issues.

Each market is different. In Syracuse NY, we worked with Adults with Special needs. In other locations National Express transports school aged children.
Pros
Weekends off
Cons
Extreamly poorly managed equimment and familities
School Bus Attendant
Child Attendant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 30, 2015
Company went out of business not good drivers. The buses doesn't not have in great conditions. the don't have good benefits plan
Pros
is not a good company
Cons
not organized company
Awesome Managment
PROFESSIONAL DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Newark, OHMay 11, 2015
This by far was the best job I have ever had. The management truly cared about their employees which is hard to find anymore.
Discrimation and unfair practices
Human Resources Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VADecember 9, 2014
I would never recommend a individual to work for a company that is corrupt. All general managers and staff expecting me to do their jobs.
Pros
nome
Cons
no breaks and people discrimated against me: Short breaks, healthcare, etc.
Large transportation company
Operations/Maintenace Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Macedonia, OHAugust 23, 2014
Large transportation company headquartered in Cincinnati, Ohio - School services
Great Part time job
customer service rep (Former Employee) –  wiMay 21, 2014
I gained a great deal of knowledge working under the management at the time.
Depending on who you talked to in Managment you would get much different results
Driver (Current Employee) –  Syracuse NYMarch 18, 2014
Management minus a few lacked any Human Resources or Management skills, prior to working at National Express's/ Durham School Service's,Syracuse office. Poor scheduling and communication, caused worker who had face to face contact with Program Director's or Care givers to be light. Customers had to do too much leg work to get the services they were paying for. Employes are tossed into situations that they know little/nothing about. Seems to be a lot of wasted time by Drivers, to get the correct answers. One Dispatcher's personal sex life takes president over paper work and keeping Programs informed.
Consumers are great to work with in Onondaga County. The personal growth, out weighs the work place blunder's. All employes are mandated to pay about 700.00 a year in Union dues, but we are out of Contract now and have been since Aug 31, 2014.SEIU local 200, takes our money, but provides little in return. We have missed our Sept 1, 2013 and March 1 2014 raises. Payroll is a problem. We are routinely short paid and it take 2 weeks to get the back pay. The Department of Labor has to monitor our payroll now, as a result to employer stealing from employe's.
Safety is a concern, buses are routinely breaking down, do not have sufficient heat, low tread on tiers, and bad breaks have lead to about a dozen serious accidents with personal injury's to Employee's and Consumer's. The area around the bus yard is dangerous. We start our word day at 6:20 AM. Almost no lighting in the parking lot, pot holes, and ice patches have caused about half the work force to have falls in the
  more... past 2 years. If you are hurt on the job, you are not supported by Management, you are treated so badly that you are forced to leave your job. Your hours are cut, and you are taken off your regular run. The over all atmosphere is hostel. Employes fight on a daily basis, some times it become physical. Police have had to intervene.
Most of the Staff are excellent with the Consumers, it is the Driver and Monitors that keep this place going. Most are paid far less then they deserve.
Pros
ARC and the local Sch districts are well managed and the Consumers are a lot of fun to work with.
Cons
No health coverage, dirty buses, and exposure to a lot of chemicals leads to poor health
Challenging, fast paced
Service Desk Manager (Current Employee) –  Warrenville, ILJuly 24, 2012
Hardest partof this job is the travel. I am away from home 3 days per week, every week.
Pros
promote from within, great manager that coaches. never bored and provided many learning opportunities.
Cons
health care and 401k could be better. under resourced, so everyone is over tasked