National Gallery of Art Employee Reviews in United States

Supervisory Elecrtricial Engineering Tech (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 1, 2016
Assigned work to electricians in the operations department, responded to service calls and emergencies and performed preventative maintenance on all electrical equipment and lighting . Assisted contractors with major renovations, set up for concerts and VIP parties.
Productive jobs in housekeeping,security and military aspects
AOP Protection Service (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 19, 2015
My first job was in housekeeping cleaning out vacant apartments,upkeep in the building,a typical job,management was easy going,team effort.not really a hard job.Security is always ever changing,learning new laws,depending on the surroundings which also crosses over to the military which very demanding in their training which will always be part of me.
Pros
It was learning time to see how museum security works
Cons
Could have been more a training involved as for security aspects
I was shocked at the beauty of America's art exhibits.
Electrical/Custodial worker (Former Employee) –  6th and Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DCSeptember 4, 2013
I joined that organization to complete enough time for a Federal Retirement, However; I was surprised at the insensitivity and callousness to which employees and Management failed to reach in not trying to communicate properly to achieve a positive goal. I participated in at least 4 section events within each duty, without safe adequate equipment to work with. Burnout was quick to come without the proper support, and I realized, that I was in the wrong place, No room for creativity, due diligence to work at your best.
Pros
agency offers a living wage, if able to work the hours
Cons
job works best if you make it first-living to work!
Dont work here
Custodial Worker (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 8, 2013
fired 5 hard working employees for unacceptable reasons, tenure employees do NO work leave it up to the probationary candidates, this employers will set you up for failure and smile in your face
Pros
long breaks
Cons
bad management in facilities department
Agreat place to work and learn something new everyday
Marble mason Supervior/Foreman/Inspector (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 16, 2012
Work would start with checking e-mail for incident reports and review work and project schedules and morning shop meeting to give out and review work assignments and would perform building inspections for damages and water leaks and clean-ups after special events at the gallery and on the Mall such as parades and learned something new everyday either technical or about works of art and continue to improve on how to manage and management skills and work with all type of professionals and workers and Heads of state during visits of exhibits and hardest part of my job was being there for 38 years and achieving the level of success and wanting something or some were difference to provide the leadership and mentoring elsewhere and the most enjoyable was the teamwork and the under taking the vision that the employees had and performed at the level they did for so many years is and was a great thing.
Pros
a great place to work
Cons
parking
Bad Work
Gallery Protection Officer (Current Employee) –  washington dcNovember 18, 2014
This is a place for people looking to retire in dc not suited for the youth. The upper management is so stuck in there ways and are not willing to change with the times to make it a comfortable place for all to work there. The building opens during bad storms while OPM deems it to be to dangerous to travel back and forth to work but we still have to be there. The customers are law to that building what they say goes and its just not a pleasure to deal with .
For younger full of energy employee, Good place to learn tasks.
Electrical/Custodial worker (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 25, 2015
Found workload uneven, Situation of harassment came up, job became undesirable. Work overload for some, picks for favored few. Management was Biased.
Pros
beautiful if you like art.
Cons
divisions didn't work well with each other.
productive an fast-paced environment
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 2, 2015
I loved working here because you get to change around to different posts everyday,therefore you won't be bored an tired of seeing the same art work everyday. Your partners change everyday as to who you are on post with, an you meet a diversity of people everyday also.
Pros
Free concerts an events
Cons
short breaks an long standing
a lot of bad people work here
Gallery Protection Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 16, 2014
Standing, Standing, Standing, Walking, answering questions from visitors, and more standing
Pros
starting pay was decent but was a roll over from my previous job experience
Cons
terrible management, standing around takes its toll on your lower back, legs, and feet
Productive day working with co workers
Support Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 20, 2013
Overall this is a great place to work and I am always looking for ways to help improve the working relations with my co workers and staff members
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
promotion potential
Great opportunity
Graphic Design Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 1, 2014
I had the honor of being an intern in the digital imaging section at the National Gallery of Art in Washington DC. I was responsible of scanning images from books, photographs and negatives and color correcting them in Photoshop and publish them on nga.gov. I also helped setting up photo shoots and did some administrative work. I also got to meet very interesting people with very interesting job positions such as mixing pigments for portrait restoration.
Pros
close contact with art history
When I worked at the National Gallery of Art it was an international hub of brilliant, creative ideas.
Publicist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 10, 2012
Under the direction of the late J. Carter Brown, the close-knit team that I worked with at the National Gallery was responsible for some of the most innovative exhibitions of art ever. I learned how to work with some of the smartest and most talented people I've ever known; how to manage my own eager desire to grown professionally; and how to oversee projects and achieve new levels of collaboration.
Overall I would rate NGA 2 1/2 stars
Custodian/Electrical-Trainee (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 21, 2012
This was a job for a younger person entering the federal workforce. Often understaffed, working materials needed repairs, danger to operators. I messed up by not disclosing previous job status.
Pros
central to traffic areas, heart of city
Cons
hours required weekend work and work was constant.
A great place to work and learn different aspects of art
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 7, 2013
Enjoyed assisting costumers visiting from different locations around the world. Learn more about art and art origins. Great co-workers, most were artist themselves.
Pros
assisting tourist visiting the nations capitol for the first time
popular
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 10, 2013
The NGA along with The Smithsonian are probably the #1 destinations of all tourist that tour the mall