National General Insurance Employee Reviews in United States

One of the worst ever!!!!!
Inside Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORMarch 15, 2016
This place is a mess.. where to begin???

They claim to be a growing company but nothing more than a call center who is looking for ways to nickel and dime people out of commission. Incompetent trainers (and I mean incompetent; guy says "like" every 3rd word and stares at the wall) who race you through training and wonder why you are lost in class. Then has the nerve to get upset at you if you ask a question!

Management is just as clueless. They do nothing all day but stand around in groups and BS with each other... it's the good old boys club. They force you to work OT and give you a very complicated process to sell policies with. If you do not follow it to a T, you lose commission and then, you guessed it, you get fired.

They also have a very complicated array of software that they do not fully train you on (see above) and instead throw you into and tell you to sell with it. This is all in the middle of a sales floor with people shouting and you unable to hear yourself think.

There is also micromanaging galore! You have to check with management on everything. You cannot sell an RV by itself and you have to check with management to be off the phone to call someone back, etc. In many ways this place was a gigantic bait and switch. I was told when I was hired my desk had an "entrepreneur" way to be handled but the micromanaging began right away. Oh, then I was going to be paid a percentage of the premium as my commission? After I began, that turned out to be $25 a policy! What a joke...!

Here is the real kicker: When you leave the company, they cancel
  more... your benefits THE DAY YOU LEAVE! No matter if you quit or fired, they cut them off. No matter if you already paid for them, they just hope you don't notice. I had to call them and tell them to either cover two claims or give me the money back. They of course said they would do the latter and when I checked my account, they gave me a few bucks back instead of the entire amount. I am still going after them for the rest. Talk about a cheap company...!

They are a joke... stay far away from them!
Pros
None I can think of...
Cons
Incompetent trainers and management, misleading hiring practices and job descriptions
Not a place you can expect to stay long two thumbs down
Insurance Sales Rep (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 12, 2016
the worst management a waste of time. I would only take the job if you are desperate. Management is terrible no one stays long. you have to pay for parking of 150.00 or more a month. Guarantee you will be looking for another job once you get there. They start the pay at $15.00 an hour so don't accept nothing less because you will be exhausted everyday after work not enough pay for the mental drainage you experience each day. No real job growth opportunity. They use there adherence rules angainst you to keep you from growing in the company
Pros
clean bathrooms. qq support team is pretty good, nice breakroom
Cons
everything else
Claims (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLMarch 1, 2016
Full day of high and fast paced work. Try to work there and you will see. Long hours. Heavy work load. Not a retirement job.
Pros
Heavy work load
Cons
Heavy work load
productive work place.
Claims Service Consultant (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCJuly 9, 2016
Flexible schedule options where you are able to bid on not only the number of hours you would like to work but also the number of days you would like to work. Relaxed work environment and ability for advancement.
pays well
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 20, 2016
learned how to navigate in their culture and be flexible lots of great team members - got to be creative and have fun with the day - allowed team members to grow and learn. Not female friendly - very much of a boys club
Pros
fun
Cons
direct leads
you get out what you put in
Material Damage Claim Representative (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMarch 1, 2015
NGIC is a growing company. One of the benefits here is that you have different people with different insurance backgrounds from different insurance companies coming together in melting pot to make this company work. Unfortunately the same thing that is a benefit is also hurting us. To many ideas from to many different companies causes confusion. What needs to happen is we need one process for everything, It hurts a company when you have several different supervisors doing things their way.
Pros
great people to work with, upper management listens and take steps to try and improve things
Cons
systems constantly crash which is frustrating, workload can be overwhelming at times
Average company to start at
Insurance Operations Representative (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMay 16, 2016
Not horrible, not great. Did way too much work for little pay but the work has prepared me well for future opportunities.
was a fun a place at one time
Insurance Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOApril 28, 2015
before the company was sold and relocated most of the company to other parts of the united states the company was fun and management as well as co workers had more of a positive attitude.

I learned a lot from a little computer experience to underwriting knowledge for auto insurance.

I enjoyed my coworkers and management staff that I worked with as well as talking to customers all across the United States.
benefits
Cons
training, communication
horrible
insurance service rep (Former Employee) –  ohioMay 23, 2015
There are some good Supervisors and things that they do to show employee appreciation. However the constant schedule changes, adherence, and metrics will drive you insane. You never know when you will be on the fire list which adds to the stress of the job as well.
Pros
pay, benefits, employee appreciation, food, co workers
Cons
metrics, schedule changes, adherence, micromanagement
Good place to learn the industry
Material Damage Telephone Claims Representative (Current Employee) –  Ontario, CAApril 2, 2015
Good place to start your career in insurance, training progam provided, benefits are competitive, job is based on numbers
Pros
Flexability, good benefits
Cons
job is solely based on numbers
Great Place to work
Customer Service/Underwriter in Training (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 10, 2016
They are very family Oriented and caring I love the oppurtunities that they share with us If there was a place that I would recommend working National General would be that company
Be careful if you take a job with National General Insurance
Direct Inbound Call Center Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 22, 2015
Management cares only about themselves. The employees lower than the senior supervisor are forced to work in a sweat shop type atmosphere. Supervisors are forced to take work home with them due to the limited amount of time they are allotted during the work week. Instead of being able to coach and mentor their representatives supervisors have to take phone calls and are often unable to pull their representatives for discussions, coaching, etc.
Pros
Gym and Nurse on site.
Cons
Poor management
Run away as fast as you can!
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCJanuary 19, 2014
I worked for this company for over 15 years. It was a good company back in the days of Integon. Now that is history. This company has gotten rid of everyone that has been there for a long time and replaced them with young/inexperienced and naive workers. Why? Because the young usually do not have a family to go home to so they are easy to overwork. I witnessed person after person being fired because it was impossible to keep up with the amount of work given. It was truly not humanly possible to do that much work in 8, 10, 12 hours a day. You are assigned claims ALL day/night long, holidays, weekends, etc. You even get claims when you are on vacation! Many of us chose to let them fire us as protest for their abuse. Beware, this place will work you to death and show no sympathy or appreciation for your hard work. They don't care about your family life, they don't even care about you as an individual. I truly feel bad for the ones that have not been able to get out of that place. I'm just waiting for someone to file a master lawsuit so that I can join them!
Pros
nothing
Cons
long hours, too much work, rude management, unethical practices
Unless you're dead, they expect you to work EVERYDAY!!
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Winston Salem, NCJanuary 15, 2014
Worked for this company for many years and learned over the last 5 years, that they do not care about you as a person. You are always expected to be at work---they don't even care if you have a sick child. They do provide lots of vacation time, BUT, they have such strict rules in place, that it's impossible for you to use it all, so many people lose part of their time.

Management stinks! They never have time for you and you certainly can't go to them about any issues you have. They will tell you to get over it or leave. So, that's what I did!!

They also expect you to do 16 hours of work in an 8 hour day. They are always begging for overtime and are penalized if you do not work it. They work you to death, but then give lame raises, if that's what you can even call it. What's .15 cents an hour? Nothing!

The owner does not allow Christmas decorations or the tree in the lobby that has been put up for many years. He also took away the Christmas lunch that each department could go out for every year.

I could go on and on, but if you want to be overworked and unappreciated, this is the perfect company for you!
Cons
pretty much everything
Decent workplace
Retention Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cleveland.OHSeptember 3, 2015
it involves calling and marketing directly to clients as a whole. The management are cool but te pay is average at best. The company is headed in an overall good direction while leading I RV insurance
Pros
people
Cons
pay
Superior job and friendly co-workers
Insurance Representative (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAAugust 27, 2015
Can be a fun work place when management and peers are on the same page. Constant servicing changes. More thorough training is expected but a self starter will get the job done.
Pros
free lunches when OT lunch is volunteered
Do yourself a favor and don't work for Personal Express/NGIC
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAMay 30, 2016
No work/life balance. They play favorites. Over worked and underpayed. Some of the other employees treat you like their personal assistant and expect you to do everything for them, even the things they can do themselves. Oh and the claims department, they can be so incredibly lazy and rude. They basically make you be the mediator between them and the customer because they don't want to help them if they aren't assigned to that claim and if you tell them you will not assist the customer since it's not your job (if the customer won't take no for an answer) they will finally come to the front and be so rude to the customer all because they had to do their job. As a person with compassion, its no fun looking a customer in the eye to tell them you are sorry that no one there wants to do their job to help them during their time of need. And when you bring it to a managers attention, they say they have no control over that department. Well my suggestion is you should probably get people in there who will do their job then. You are literally EXPECTED to do everything. The vacation time is used for sick time, vacation, or any time you are out of work and if you miss work, they write you up even with a Dr note because the time you are out is considered unexcused. Basically if you are going to be sick make sure you give them a few days notice to avoid getting in any trouble. They treat you different when you miss any work for any reason, except for the people they like. Those people can miss days or even weeks at a time and they are totally fine with it. They talk about you when you aren't  more... in the office and I know that for a fact because someone foolishly left a conversation on my computer when I was out sick. If you go to the manager with a problem, it doesnt get handled. I have been told I need to "stop being so Blunt" but then they turn around and say "I need to be more firm with the customers and not let them walk on me" all because I asked someone to do their job because I didn't like being put in the middle of a customer and the person who is supposed to be doing their job to help the customer. They make you feel unimportant and unappreciated. They give a shout out to the agents and the claims department for making their business successful but what about the accountants and the receptionist who make that place run smoothly and deal with all the upset, angry customers. This company is a joke and total waste of time. I regret ever working for them. Its a headache, draining, and exhausting. I personally think the stress of the job, literally made me sick. So glad I am no longer there!  less
Pros
Cons
Everything about that place sucks from the time your shift starts, until you walk out the door.
Most enjoyable part of th e job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHDecember 4, 2015
You have to opportunity to get paid for assisting people and providing a need. Helping people get the necessary coverage for them and their families.
Pros
Comissions
Cons
Chargebacks
God awful!!!!
claims rep (Current Employee) –  cleveland, ohApril 18, 2014
Please be aware and do not work at this place. There's no structure nor are there processes and/or procedures. Needless the say, the management has NOT A CLUE to what they are doing and management is a JOKE! The culture here is to setup for failure. I forewarn anyone to attempt to work here. There's been several terminations since this place has been established and its been an outright disgrace to a living human being to endure daily. Not to mention, they would not definitely not place a minority on a management level and goes unrecognized.
Pros
there aren't any perks to this place, unless you like the downtown aroma
Cons
honestly, there are no good reasons to work here, its just awful on all levels
Revolving door, no job stablilty
Service Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 23, 2014
I liked my work schedule because it was consistent and my work/life balance was great. However, I felt as though certain managers did not take there roles seriously when it came to helping out their employees when they had an issue with some of the tasks and policies.
Pros
work hours, compensation
Cons
management, job stability

2.9