National General Insurance Employee Reviews

Manageable work place with decent pay and benefits.
Insurance Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHDecember 19, 2016
Better pay would be nice but being at entry level and starting of with the amount made is sufficient for someone inexperienced. The staff tries to make the environment fun by making events, little games here and there around the holidays. There is room for advancement and overall, it's a good company but much improvement and still a young company. The office is a few years old and new things will still happen because of the growth. The growth is substantial and the revenue is growing steadily. I see a future for the company and it's employees. Would I recommend to work, yes, for someone who wants decent pay, you do have paid training after all.
Pros
Decent pay and benefits, able to call time off, able to speak to supervisor of there is an issue, holiday games, gym in building and store
Cons
Breaks go by fast and the lunch does also. Point system for late or absence, dress code doesn't stay in check
Alright, but stressful
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCOctober 30, 2016
Fast growing company
Pay is good, benefits are horrible
Extremely stressful
Competitive work environment
Hard to move to different departments
Great co-works
Average number of PTO days provided
Management is fair
Engaging Work environment
Sales Screener (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHDecember 6, 2016
Working with NGIC was very uplifting. The employers and supervisors were so informative and encouraging. I enjoyed that the job was simple. The training was quick and simple, and you obtain knowledge about your product daily. There is room for growth or if you'd like to stay stagnant they make your work environment comfortable. The staff is friendly like a second home. Daily your job is repetitive. Management works with you for any reasons necessary, they want to see you grow.
Pros
working in downtown Cleveland lots of fun restaurants, on bus line, convenient
Productive and fun atmosphere. Great people to work with!
Customer Care Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZDecember 29, 2016
I've ready enjoyed working for this company as they are very employee focused. There are many fun activities and the management is very engaging.

I work in the auto department and the most demanding part would be the volume of calls received. However, it is very rewarding being able to provide excellent customer service and fix any issues with the customer on the phone immediately.
Pros
Great people, fun activities, great hours
Worst job I have ever had
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 19, 2016
Terrible company to work for training is short, then your thrown on the floor to deal with issues you haven't been taught. when you ask for help they get upset with you for not knowing things you were never taught. They have management who have open relationships with employees the company is a complete mess! The supervisors will sit while their team has tons of calls holding and not help but will come down on you when the numbers get low. They won't work with you if you want to attend school. Never been at a company who does not support going to school. They don't care if you have children. If u have to leave for a issue with your child you will get a write up smh. The company is a joke! Unless u don't have a life I would never advise anyone work for this company. They find every reason to not bonus you at bonus time even if its the smallest thing. Just save yourself any problems and look somewhere else.
Pros
NONE at ALL
Unreliable System
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Coraopolis, PANovember 4, 2016
Too easy to get yourself into trouble. You could be doing your job and working in the same system that will say you are late. If you forget to change your status they will still count it as a late even if you were clearly working. You have nasty supervisors who dislike answering questions even if you are fresh out of training. They gossiped about employees all day long and belittled people. Non-flexible schedule. Can not call off without approval no matter the reason, even if you have PTO hours. Unclear about the rules and show favoritism. In other words, they choose who the rules apply to and who they don't.

The fellow employees are very kind. Have a lot of events where we enjoyed snacks together.
Pros
Free Food
Cons
Clock in system, schedule flexibilty
Its ok
Financial Reporting Accountant (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 19, 2017
The company overworks the accounting department. Pay is good but there is little room for advancement. The cleveland office is not teated as well as the home office in NC
Company
Casualty Representative (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 26, 2016
Good company with good people. Willing to teach you the position and work with you to grow. Great people to work with make going to work easy.
Pros
Good people
Benefits
Very productive and a very fun place to work
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem North CarolinaSeptember 21, 2016
A fast-growing company with numerous areas for moving up a great location any growing City a very productive company environment and a very fun place to work Company provides flexible work schedules the company also provides coaching with supervisor assistance to to do to handle your job,the proper tools and equipment to excel.
Pros
30 minutes to 1 hour lunch break
Cons
Two 15 minute break today
Horrible
Quality Control (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXFebruary 15, 2017
There was no complete training and no one to train with. Very overlooked and have never been more micromanaged from day 1. I learned everything on my own dealing with insurance on mortgages.
Pros
Team Bonding
Cons
EMPLOYEES WATCHED EVERY SINGLE MOVE AND REPORTED IT TO MANAGMENT
productive work place.
Claims Service Consultant (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCJuly 9, 2016
Flexible schedule options where you are able to bid on not only the number of hours you would like to work but also the number of days you would like to work. Relaxed work environment and ability for advancement.
Not a place you can expect to stay long two thumbs down
Insurance Sales Rep (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 12, 2016
the worst management a waste of time. I would only take the job if you are desperate. Management is terrible no one stays long. you have to pay for parking of 150.00 or more a month. Guarantee you will be looking for another job once you get there. They start the pay at $15.00 an hour so don't accept nothing less because you will be exhausted everyday after work not enough pay for the mental drainage you experience each day. No real job growth opportunity. They use there adherence rules angainst you to keep you from growing in the company
Pros
clean bathrooms. qq support team is pretty good, nice breakroom
Cons
everything else
good
ACCOUNTANT (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CADecember 20, 2016
I have learned that this is a good company to work for. I enjoy the location and interaction with managers. However, more trees in the parking lot would provide more shade for my car during hot summer days.
Pros
great team of people
Cons
overtime is expected
Tough Job
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAAugust 17, 2016
They pay well, but this is a very stressful job. You are given a ridiculous amount of claims per day and the expectations are not reasonable. Wouldn't be as bad if the workload was decent. Very high turnover rate.
Pros
Pays well, friendly environment, off on weekends, plenty of OT if requested
Cons
Crazy workload, extremely stressful, sick days and vacation days grouped together
One of the worst ever!!!!!
Inside Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORMarch 15, 2016
This place is a mess.. where to begin???

They claim to be a growing company but nothing more than a call center who is looking for ways to nickel and dime people out of commission. Incompetent trainers (and I mean incompetent; guy says "like" every 3rd word and stares at the wall) who race you through training and wonder why you are lost in class. Then has the nerve to get upset at you if you ask a question!

Management is just as clueless. They do nothing all day but stand around in groups and BS with each other... it's the good old boys club. They force you to work OT and give you a very complicated process to sell policies with. If you do not follow it to a T, you lose commission and then, you guessed it, you get fired.

They also have a very complicated array of software that they do not fully train you on (see above) and instead throw you into and tell you to sell with it. This is all in the middle of a sales floor with people shouting and you unable to hear yourself think.

There is also micromanaging galore! You have to check with management on everything. You cannot sell an RV by itself and you have to check with management to be off the phone to call someone back, etc. In many ways this place was a gigantic bait and switch. I was told when I was hired my desk had an "entrepreneur" way to be handled but the micromanaging began right away. Oh, then I was going to be paid a percentage of the premium as my commission? After I began, that turned out to be $25 a policy! What a joke...!

Here is the real kicker: When you leave the company, they cancel
  more... your benefits THE DAY YOU LEAVE! No matter if you quit or fired, they cut them off. No matter if you already paid for them, they just hope you don't notice. I had to call them and tell them to either cover two claims or give me the money back. They of course said they would do the latter and when I checked my account, they gave me a few bucks back instead of the entire amount. I am still going after them for the rest. Talk about a cheap company...!

They are a joke... stay far away from them!
Pros
None I can think of...
Cons
Incompetent trainers and management, misleading hiring practices and job descriptions
Productive workplace
Claims Examiner (Current Employee) –  Frisco, TXMay 21, 2016
Productive workplace where opinions and front line employee feedback is encouraged. Management feedback promotes teamwork. Open door policy with constant updates regarding current company events.
pays well
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 20, 2016
learned how to navigate in their culture and be flexible lots of great team members - got to be creative and have fun with the day - allowed team members to grow and learn. Not female friendly - very much of a boys club
Pros
fun
Cons
direct leads
Run away as fast as you can!
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCJanuary 19, 2014
I worked for this company for over 15 years. It was a good company back in the days of Integon. Now that is history. This company has gotten rid of everyone that has been there for a long time and replaced them with young/inexperienced and naive workers. Why? Because the young usually do not have a family to go home to so they are easy to overwork. I witnessed person after person being fired because it was impossible to keep up with the amount of work given. It was truly not humanly possible to do that much work in 8, 10, 12 hours a day. You are assigned claims ALL day/night long, holidays, weekends, etc. You even get claims when you are on vacation! Many of us chose to let them fire us as protest for their abuse. Beware, this place will work you to death and show no sympathy or appreciation for your hard work. They don't care about your family life, they don't even care about you as an individual. I truly feel bad for the ones that have not been able to get out of that place. I'm just waiting for someone to file a master lawsuit so that I can join them!
Pros
Cons
Long hours, too much work, rude management, unethical practices
Unless you're dead, they expect you to work EVERYDAY!!
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Winston Salem, NCJanuary 15, 2014
Worked for this company for many years and learned over the last 5 years, that they do not care about you as a person. You are always expected to be at work---they don't even care if you have a sick child. They do provide lots of vacation time, BUT, they have such strict rules in place, that it's impossible for you to use it all, so many people lose part of their time.

Management stinks! They never have time for you and you certainly can't go to them about any issues you have. They will tell you to get over it or leave. So, that's what I did!!

They also expect you to do 16 hours of work in an 8 hour day. They are always begging for overtime and are penalized if you do not work it. They work you to death, but then give lame raises, if that's what you can even call it. What's .15 cents an hour? Nothing!

The owner does not allow Christmas decorations or the tree in the lobby that has been put up for many years. He also took away the Christmas lunch that each department could go out for every year.

I could go on and on, but if you want to be overworked and unappreciated, this is the perfect company for you!
Pros
Cons
Pretty much everything
you get out what you put in
Material Damage Claim Representative (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMarch 1, 2015
NGIC is a growing company. One of the benefits here is that you have different people with different insurance backgrounds from different insurance companies coming together in melting pot to make this company work. Unfortunately the same thing that is a benefit is also hurting us. To many ideas from to many different companies causes confusion. What needs to happen is we need one process for everything, It hurts a company when you have several different supervisors doing things their way.
Pros
Great people to work with, upper management listens and take steps to try and improve things
Cons
systems constantly crash which is frustrating, workload can be overwhelming at times

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National General Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8