National Geographic Channel Employee Reviews

Exciting Experience
Intern (Former Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DCJune 20, 2017
I loved working at NatGeo, the people, the environment, and the work was very engaging and exciting. Everyone helped with my learning experience at the channel.
Very professional
Executive Producer - Ice Holes (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 19, 2017
Given that it is such a widely recognized network, it was a great experience working with Nat Geo! They truly take pride in their content, and always put their best collective foot forward!
Pros
Very talented staff!
Cons
Our show ended.
A strong brand, but wasted talent
Distribution Supervisor, US and Canada (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 1, 2017
The salary and benefits were competitive, perks included free museum admission for employees and guests as well as Fox film screenings, occasional networking opportunities and employee happy hours.

Operations department was very, very top heavy. There were way too many Managers, Directors, Senior Directors, VPs and Senior VPs. Senior management ought to be consolidated if they want to save money and be 'more nimble', instead of laying off employees and contracting work. Ironically, there was virtually no opportunity to move into a management role if that was your career interest. Unless you are a friend/golf buddy/"mentee"/ of senior management, don't get your hopes up to rise above being seen as just another "worker bee".

Advice to Management
Make an effort to invest in career development for employees. There are many talented people working in various departments that have fresh perspectives and enthusiasm for the brand. Create real mentorship opportunities, not just chances for people to brown-nose senior managers.
Great place to be when peaked, hard to grow
Assistant Editor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 15, 2017
Great life work balance.
Management only appears when something goes wrong.
A lot of hurry up and wait when it comes to the work.
Hard to grow and develop, evident that upper management obtains promotions and are not affected by lay-offs.
Pros
location, hours, benefits
Cons
management
My view
Broadcast Technician (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 17, 2016
I still approach the world with intense curiosity and a passion to learn as much as possible. In both my work and my free time, I constantly explore light using my Eyes and the camera that is always at my side.

I know what it means to be a team player, to put in the long hours and not be in the spotlight. I love to work hard

It is easy to stack a show and booth it.
Productive and fun experience
Creative Marketing and Media Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 28, 2012
•Write show descriptions, press releases, and marketing materials
•Maintain and organize regional/international press clippings
•Assist with marketing premiums and marketing meetings
•Create and maintain programming calendars
Pros
first hand behind the scene look at new shows
Cons
it was an internship, i worked for free.
Great place to learn about television.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, D.C.April 12, 2012
A typical day was very relaxed but there was an air of importance in what was created. I learned a great deal about all levels of the production process and was even able to see my own script, as an intern, on television.

Management was amazing and super helpful. The only issue with Nat Geo is that it seems to constantly get caught up in bureaucracy.

The hardest part about work, as you will find in a lot of entertainment, is the pace. It was at times very slow and at other times very fast. Kinda hard to plan a weekend around that.

The most enjoyable part was absolutely the people I worked with. I also was able to sit in on the conception of a show, help write it, watch it become created, and ultimately watch it on the TV.
Pros
downtown dc, parties, fun environment.
Cons
really.