National Geographic Society

National Geographic Society Employee Reviews

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCApril 17, 2015
Pros: Location, diverse groups, visits from world leaders (including our current POTUS).
Cons: Management
Nice place to work with a very diverse group of good people. :) Interesting place to learn new exciting thing s, and there's always something to do for all ages and backgrounds. Management sucks, and could be cleaned out and re-hired, but other than that, pretty nice.
Great place to work, great culture
Technical Writer (Current Employee), Washington, DCMarch 19, 2015
Pros: decentralized work culture; culture of learning
Cons: contractor
I'm a fan of decentralized work culture, as National Geographic works with team in all the Americas (North and South).

I tend to work from home a few days a week (I have a toddler). The work culture allows for it. I also like the fact the IT team uses MacOS.

If I had an opportunity to work here as an employee, I wouldn't hesitate.
Awesome place to work
Allied Barton Site Supervisor Sergeant (Current Employee), Washington DCJanuary 27, 2015
The work environment is very family oriented and guest friendly.
Great!
Administrator, Data Management Applications (Current Employee), Washington, DCAugust 20, 2014
Great organization to work for. Excellent benefits.

Very family friendly
The most enjoyable part of the job
SENIOR TREASURY ANALYST (Current Employee), Washington, DCMarch 31, 2014
The most enjoyable part of my job is being apart of a company that strives to explore and educate the world and encourages us all to think and see outside of the box. The Society’s vision statement concludes their purpose “is to inspire people to care about the planet.”
Customer Service
Digital Imaging Technician (Former Employee), Washington, DCMarch 22, 2014
Very Customer Service knowledgeable. Manger and Master Technician
Mission-oriented
Research Manager (Current Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 22, 2014
Pros: generous annual and sick leave
National Geographic is a mission-driven organization, which is what draws smart, interesting people there.
A great work environment
Desktop Support Technician (Contractor) (Former Employee), Washington, DCAugust 19, 2013
Learned to manage corporate active directory, use KACE ticketing system for tech support, Use and maintenance of all employees cloud back-ups via CrashPlanPro. Management was nothing more than a delight! -always had a positive attitude, ALWAYS willing to help, gave honest, and situation specific feedback (both positive, and constructive) - and is truly committed to supporting his staff advance. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was going to all the different departments and seeing all the cool offices, one minute you are fixing a problem for a designer working on the next issue! and the next you are verifying a back up for the illustrator who is responsible for the incredible scientific illustrations the magazine includes! Hardest part of the job for me was the pace, I prefer a more chaotic busy work day. :)
Good company
Visitor Services Representative (Former Employee), Washington, DCAugust 6, 2013
A good company while I was there. The position I had did not have benefits or bonuses. Overall good atmosphere.
Great Benefits
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee), Washington, DCJune 24, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: non profit salary
Great organization and wonderful place to work. Great benefits with good work life balance. Always something exciting happening at headquarters.
Great place to work.
National Geographic Receptionist/Security (Current Employee), Washington, DCMay 1, 2013
Pros: great cafeteria and musuem.
Cons: i work as a contractor
A typical day at National Geographic Society is exciting, You get to meet and interact with many photographers and explorers. There is always a feeling creativity and change in the atmosphere. Overall the people you work with are kind. I love working at National Geographic Society. The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting people, and being able to assist them in any way I can. Greeting visitors and staff with a smile and warmth is paramount for me.
Excellent company to work for great benefits........
Paralegal (Current Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 17, 2013
Pros: on-site cafeteria, excellent discount to shows, trips, gifts in the book store and so much more.
Cons: compensation could be more competitive with other government agencies....
National Geographic Society is a phenomenal company with tons of talented individuals.
Interesting place with some great people
Specialist, Editorial Services, Communications (Former Employee), Washington, DCDecember 27, 2012
Pros: green fridays, work/life balance
Cons: salaries, some jobs are deadends
National Geographic is a great place to work. Some really smart and interesting people that help to inspire the world to care about the planet.
Original mission still alive among most employees...
Department Coordinator (Former Employee), Washington, DCDecember 26, 2012
I have to say that my time at National Geographic was one of the most professionally fulfilling I have ever had. Regardless of your position in the company you are immersed in the rich cultural and intellectual life of the institution. I had very positive encouragement and feedback from my manager which allowed me to become involved in projects like The National Geographic Film Preservation Project. The Project sought to raise awareness towards the importance of preserving the Society's historical film assets.
As National Geographic Society expanded into new media and new global markets, my own professional development grew.
Vice President, Communications (Former Employee), Washington, DCDecember 10, 2012
National Geographic was a place where I could confidently bring passion and creative energy. There was rarely a typical day, even over my long tenure there. I worked in all media, from traditional to digital, both internally and externally. I feel proud of the fact that I was part of a team that grew the brand globally, preserving this national -- and now international -- organization for future generations. My work there with my amazing colleagues had impact on conservation and cultural awareness.
great mission, mostly great people
Designer (Former Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 11, 2012
Pros: great lecture events, cafeteria is pretty good
Cons: no career advancement. you have to wait for someone to die before the next job is available
employees at NGS really get in to the mission, thats why most of the people are there. Pay is okay, not great. Management seems to have forgotten high school--lots of "in crowd" groups. Most of the staff just left out of "cultural" activities. Photography is amazing. Its the best part of the job. Worst part of the job is having to defend the programing on the tv channel. Learned how to be non-commital.
Excellent Work Environment
Geography Intern (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 23, 2012
Pros: excellent work environment, opportunity to get involved in other projects
Cons: pay could be a little higher
It is obvious within only a few hours of being there that the employees at National Geographic love what they do and where they work. Their Geography Internship program offers a wide range of opportunities. I was given the chance to take on range of different projects and was given a great deal of responsibility.

The environment at National Geographic is spectacular. The passion and dedication its employees show is unparalleled.
NGS is a fun and interesting place to work
Chief Engineer (Former Employee), Washington DCDecember 5, 2011
Pros: interesting people from around the word.
Cons: pension plan is not so great
NGS has a great managment team, offers good benefits and balance between work and home life. The full service cafeteria and fitness center are just 2 of the many perks.