National Geographic Society Employee Reviews in United States

Fast pace office, productive, fun and exciting workplace
Assistant to EVP, Mission Programs (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC 20036May 3, 2016
Fast pace office, productive, fun and exciting workplace.
Learned to be proactive and meet challenges head on with a can-do attitude. Valued by management and by truly great coworkers.
Occasional instances of miscommunication was the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was having the mutual respect of coworkers and management and being a part of adventures and discovery.
Pros
Inside staff cafeteria, discounted parking, great benefits
Cons
Sick leave not accrued or carried over
Production Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 23, 2016
I learned a lot while working with the company, met many great people that taught me a number of skills. But company goes through internal restructure quite often, so you never know what's coming next.
Pros
benefits, helpful management, great culture
Cons
unsure of the future, some outdated technology
One of the Best
CLIENT SERVICES DIRECTOR/ BRAND MARKETING DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 1, 2016
Mission-based work culture within a well-respected global company. Exciting projects to support. Great team of staffers who work cross functionally. Supportive and smart management. Global exposure all around the world and working with incredibly interesting people.
Pros
Highly Respected Organization
Cons
Slow to Change and Innovate
Wonderful place to work.
Sr. Accounts Payable Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 19, 2016
I've been at National Geographic for 15 years and it is a pleasure working there. I work in Accounts Payable which is very high volume but my work day is always good due to management and coworkers are like family. There is really no part of the job that is hard, however month end, quarter and year end close can be difficult because it cause for long hours at work. The most enjoyable part of the job is how fast past it is.
Pros
Benefits, dress code and able to choose your own hours
Low pay and poor management in exchange for the prestige of working at National Geographic
GLOBAL DIGITAL LICENSING ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 31, 2015
National Geographic has struggled for years to shake off its non profit mind-set which keeps it from becoming a truly great media company. National Geographic suffers from low turn over and a lack of fresh ideas. Having been insulated in the same industry for many years, management has little idea how the "real" world works. The trade off is working with truly creative people who are drawn to the iconic brand.
Pros
Great content
Cons
Recently purchased by FOX / Rupert Murdoch
Great place to work but unsure of future.
Director, National Geographic Society (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 10, 2015
Great place to work but unsure of future. There was a big shake-up recently with the expansion of the Fox partnership so it will be interesting to see how things pan out.
Business Analyst Consultant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 11, 2015
NGS is a good place to work. The hardest part of the job was the changing priorities. The staff is very nice. It was OK. I would work there again if given the opportunity.
Pros
Nice atmosphere
Cons
IT is a little behind.
Good Place to expand your knolage
Manager, IT (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 16, 2015
I worked for NGS for 28 and 1/2 years, they gave me the opportunity to Grow with the company. I gained knowledge from laser tech for the high end scanners to designing there Data Centers. Worked with the Network infrastructure as well ad there DR plan for the company.
Pros
Good place to work to grow
Cons
upper management sometimes slow to make decisions
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 17, 2015
Nice place to work with a very diverse group of good people. :) Interesting place to learn new exciting thing s, and there's always something to do for all ages and backgrounds. Management sucks, and could be cleaned out and re-hired, but other than that, pretty nice.
Pros
Location, diverse groups, visits from world leaders (including our current POTUS).
Cons
Great place to work, great culture
Technical Writer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 19, 2015
I'm a fan of decentralized work culture, as National Geographic works with team in all the Americas (North and South).

I tend to work from home a few days a week (I have a toddler). The work culture allows for it. I also like the fact the IT team uses MacOS.

If I had an opportunity to work here as an employee, I wouldn't hesitate.
Pros
decentralized work culture; culture of learning
Cons
contractor
Awesome place to work
Allied Barton Site Supervisor Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Washington DCJanuary 27, 2015
The work environment is very family oriented and guest friendly.
Great!
Administrator, Data Management Applications (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 20, 2014
Great organization to work for. Excellent benefits.

Very family friendly
The most enjoyable part of the job
SENIOR TREASURY ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 31, 2014
The most enjoyable part of my job is being apart of a company that strives to explore and educate the world and encourages us all to think and see outside of the box. The Society’s vision statement concludes their purpose “is to inspire people to care about the planet.”
Customer Service
Digital Imaging Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 22, 2014
Very Customer Service knowledgeable. Manger and Master Technician
Mission-oriented
Research Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 22, 2014
National Geographic is a mission-driven organization, which is what draws smart, interesting people there.
Pros
generous annual and sick leave
A great work environment
Desktop Support Technician (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 19, 2013
Learned to manage corporate active directory, use KACE ticketing system for tech support, Use and maintenance of all employees cloud back-ups via CrashPlanPro. Management was nothing more than a delight! -always had a positive attitude, ALWAYS willing to help, gave honest, and situation specific feedback (both positive, and constructive) - and is truly committed to supporting his staff advance. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was going to all the different departments and seeing all the cool offices, one minute you are fixing a problem for a designer working on the next issue! and the next you are verifying a back up for the illustrator who is responsible for the incredible scientific illustrations the magazine includes! Hardest part of the job for me was the pace, I prefer a more chaotic busy work day. :)
Good company
Visitor Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 6, 2013
A good company while I was there. The position I had did not have benefits or bonuses. Overall good atmosphere.
Great Benefits
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 24, 2013
Great organization and wonderful place to work. Great benefits with good work life balance. Always something exciting happening at headquarters.
benefits
Cons
non profit salary
Great place to work.
National Geographic Receptionist/Security (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 1, 2013
A typical day at National Geographic Society is exciting, You get to meet and interact with many photographers and explorers. There is always a feeling creativity and change in the atmosphere. Overall the people you work with are kind. I love working at National Geographic Society. The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting people, and being able to assist them in any way I can. Greeting visitors and staff with a smile and warmth is paramount for me.
Pros
great cafeteria and musuem.
Cons
i work as a contractor
Excellent company to work for great benefits........
Paralegal (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 17, 2013
National Geographic Society is a phenomenal company with tons of talented individuals.
Pros
on-site cafeteria, excellent discount to shows, trips, gifts in the book store and so much more.
Cons
compensation could be more competitive with other government agencies....

4.3