National Geographic Employee Reviews

Nothing quite like writing scripts for magnificent footage
Supervising Writer, Television Division (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 2, 2017
Working for National Geographic is a unique experience, filled with hours of challenge, delight, and ingenious and collegial staff. I cherish the years spent pairing just the right narration to breathtaking images,on everything from bioluminescent sea life, to animal behavior in the Serengeti dessert, and human adventurers drawn to the unthinkable.
Pros
pairing words with unique images of animal and human behavior
Talent for NG
Actor (Former Employee) –  ArushaAugust 10, 2017
I worked on the cast for Mygrations. The experience was awesome. I met a variety of people from October Films. Got to travel to new locations and was paid.
Pros
Free Travel, Cultural Experience
Nice people, good mission
Freelance Publicity Consultant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 31, 2017
The mission is great here - you know why and who you are working for. If you believe strongly in saving native arts and crafts, languages and land - you'll like working here. Having a strong mission is a plus.
Inspiring Place to Work
Freelance Product/Editorial Stylist (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCMay 30, 2017
Working with the very talented and knowledgeable photographers was a blessing. They are very helpful and offer great ideas. Freelancing at NatGeo was amazing.
Sales Assistant
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 9, 2017
Wonderful group of people to work with although working in a sales environment can always be a little stressful making sales and meeting deadlines. It was so great working in a world so much bigger than yourself
Pros
Planning events is always fun. Love my coworkers even to this day
Cons
Advertising sales so difficult
On call type of job, high pay for very little hours
PRODUCTION ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 3, 2017
I enjoyed working in the production industry even though I was in short term, for the little time I was there I learned how the industry works to produce televisions shows
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
On Call, or whenever they have a shoot
Fun and Productive
Editor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 4, 2017
There is no doubt National Geographic is a competitive place but it also very professional. There is a lot of opportunity to travel and work on a variety of exciting projects.
Pros
travel expenses, american express black
Cons
extremely competitive
Can be a very fun place to work.
E-Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 22, 2017
I enjoy the work that I do at National Geographic. There are a lot of fun company events. It's very fulfilling working for such a agenda/cause based company. But finding opportunities to grow is very hard. Employees tend to stay a long time due to the awesome work/life balance you can have here.
Pros
Company events
Cons
Hard to grow
New in kid's tv
Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northfield, ILDecember 8, 2016
They are new in Kid's programming. They are being cheap and hired a cheap and lazy production company to produce our TV show, which showed in the end product.
I was able to work from home on my laptop.
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 17, 2015
A typical day at work entailed managing my own personal time at home with minimal distraction, achieving 10hrs of cataloging at a time. I was the master of my time and how I used it toward the material given to me. I gained additional Microsoft Excel experience.
Pros
Worked from home
Cons
Minimal pay
Productive work place
Journalist (Former Employee) –  WarsawOctober 2, 2015
I’ve brought my news site from green and lean to a trusted resource that is overflowing with all the information readers need to make their lives better.

I am proud of the work I have done this year.
Loved It
Production assistant for America's Got Talent (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 21, 2015
This was a great experience and I worked with an amazing crew. Definitely an experience I will never forget. We shot a lot and had a lot of fun. I would work here again.
Fun, encouraging work environment with reasonable hours
Music Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 5, 2015
I loved working for Nat Geo, the office was lively and the employees always had a chipper attitude. I felt like a peer and an equal alongside my superiors, something not often found in a major company.
Terrific place for a contractor
Map Auditing Contractor (Former Employee) –  Evergreen, COMay 3, 2015
Very hands off management
Terrific work-life balance
Enjoyed the drive the most, once a week to pick up work
Awesome co-workers
Very productive and nurturing environment
Associate Producer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 25, 2015
Working at National Geographic with Brain Games has been one of the most rewarding work experiences I've ever encountered. It's rare to find such a diverse group of talented individuals who are so in sync with each other's mission to create a high-quality final product. Despite the physical separations of the pre-production, production, and post teams, the workflow seemed like one cohesive family. The management was exceptional and very encouraging of creativity and advancement in roles. As an AP, I learned an extensive amount concerning not just the content, but about the entire storytelling and producing process. Everyone was always extremely friendly and helpful no matter the task at hand. Overall, an unparalleled and unforgettable experience.
great company
Deckhand/Steward (Former Employee) –  AKDecember 30, 2014
Responsible for maintenance/cleaning of the interior/exterior of the vessel. In addition, assist with bridge watch/navigation, perform hourly security patrols including nightly engine room inspections, and assist with general boat operations.
Pros
free travel
Productive work place.
Production Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 27, 2014
Excellent work place. Enjoyed my work there. Wanted to write no openings at the time I was there.
Very talented people to work with
Editor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 8, 2014
These were great shows to work on. The footage was incredible. The subject matter was generally exciting.
Pros
very open sharing environment
Cons
The days could be long and intense
Great People
Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 8, 2014
Everyone is great, and are very professional. They are considerate of your situation (being in field), and there's a profound respect given
It is a graet company to work for.
Egyptologist Guide / Interpreter / Tour Manager (Former Employee) –  EgyptFebruary 20, 2014
Nat Geo is a great company. working is extremly tyring, but the friendly atmosphere is what keeps it easy.
Management is great.